Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Garrett County Maryland Historical Markers

 
Bear Creek Trout Hatchery and Rearing Station Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, June 7, 2006
Bear Creek Trout Hatchery and Rearing Station Marker
Maryland (Garrett County), Accident — Bear Creek Trout Hatchery and Rearing Station
One and one-half miles from this point. Purchased by state 1928. — Map (db m406) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Accident — Maryland History - Drane House
Built 1797. Oldest Structure in Garrett County. — Map (db m2313) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Crellin — Charles Friend’s Home
George Washington stopped here Sept. 26, 1784 on his trip to determine a feasible passage between the Potomac and the Ohio for a canal or easy portage between these rivers as a passage to the Western Territory. — Map (db m479) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Deer Park — Cleveland Cottage
President Grover Cleveland and his bride, the former Frances Folsom, arrived here the day following their White House wedding on June 2, 1886. They spent their honeymoon at this Deer Park Hotel cottage. — Map (db m470) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Deer Park — Cleveland Cottage and Site of Deer Park Hotel
(1 mile south.) The hotel was built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, opened July 4, 1873, and operated until 1829. Dismantled 1942. President and Mrs. Grover Cleveland spent their honeymoon at the cottage in June, 1886. — Map (db m472) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Deer Park — Deer Park Hotel
Built by the B&O Railroad, opened July 4, 1873 and operated until 1929. Razed 1942. This was one of the most exclusive mountain resorts in the east. Many nationally prominent people, including four United States Presidents, were guests here. — Map (db m5413) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Deer Park — James Cardinal Gibbons
It was here that Archbishop James Gibbons of Baltimore was notified personally by the Papal Nuncio in 1886 that he had been made a Cardinal by Pope Leo XIII; only the second appointment in the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m469) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Finzel — Savage River Camp
General Braddock's 3rd camp on his march to Fort Duquesne June 16, 1755. The route, later known as the Old Braddock Road, passes to the southeast of the National Road. Captain Orme's diary says "we entirely demolished three wagons and shattered . . . — Map (db m439) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Friendsville — Friend’s Graveyard
Nearby are the graves of John Friend, Sr. (1732–1808), Kerrenhappuch Hyatt (d. 1798), his wife, and their son Gabriel (1761–1852), John and Gabriel were soldiers in the Revolution. The first permanent settlers in Garrett County, they . . . — Map (db m405) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Friendsville — The Grave of Meshack Browning
(1781–1859) Born at Damascus, Maryland. Garrett County's most famous hunter, Browning wrote the book, "Forty-Four Years of the Life of a Hunter". During this time he killed two thousand deer and five hundred bear. — Map (db m430) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Friendsville — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, . . . — Map (db m83628) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Friendsville — Youghiougheny Overlook Welcome Center
You are now in Maryland. The scene before you is the Youghiougheny River and Reservoir, a major resource for fishing, whitewater rafting, and recreation. From the Reservoir, the River flows North into Pennsylvania, where it joins the Monongahela . . . — Map (db m83627) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Granstville — Castleman’s River Bridge(Formerly "Little Youghiogeny")
Erected 1813 by David Shriver, Jr., Sup't of the "Cumberland Road" (The National Road). This 80 foot span was the largest stone arch in America at the time. It was continuously used from 1813 to 1933. — Map (db m100) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Granstville — Early Inns
The Casselman Inn. You are standing in front of the Casselman Inn, which was opened in 1842 by Solomon Sterner. This establishment has also been known as Sterner House, Drovers' Inn, Farmers' Hotel and Dorsey Hotel. There was a large outdoor . . . — Map (db m360) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Granstville — General Braddock’s 5th Camp
On the march to Fort Duquesne June 19th, 1755. By Washington’s advice, Braddock pushed forward from Little Meadows to this camp with 1200 chosen men and officers leaving the heavy artillery and baggage behind to follow by easy stages under Colonel . . . — Map (db m357) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Bear Camp
General Braddock's 6th camp on the march to Fort Duquesne Saturday and Sunday June 20th and 21st, 1755. Washington was forced to remain behind with a guard on account of "violent fevers" until cured by "Dr. James's Powders (one of the most excellent . . . — Map (db m356) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Casselman Hotel
The Casselman is a mid 19th-century hostelry, probably built in the early 1800's by Soloman Sterner, to serve travelers on the National Road. The stylistic features of the building show strong early 1800s Federal influence, but many of the specific . . . — Map (db m104844) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Casselman River BridgeSpruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk
When built in 1873, this structure was the largest single-span stone bridge in America. The high arch was designed to facilitate riverboat traffic on the proposed C&O Canal. However, due to the emerging railroad industry in the nineteenth century, . . . — Map (db m84795) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Crash of a United States B-52 Bomber — Mountain District American Legion Monument
This monument is dedicated to the citizens of this area who gave their time and their energy and their skill, for more than five days in sub zero weather and deep snow, to assist the air and ground rescue teams in recovering the victims of a crash . . . — Map (db m71195) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — GrantsvilleA Heritage of Hospitality
When the National Road came through here in 1815, this settlement was a half mile away along the old Braddock Road. This “New Grantsville” developed just west of the Casselman Bridge, completed a few years earlier. About a dozen . . . — Map (db m477) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Keyser’s RidgeLiving with Extreme Weather
“I saw the wind blow so hard on Keyser’s Ridge, that it took six men to hold the hair on one man’s head.” In the early days of the National Road, this stretch was often “snowed up” with drifts up to twenty feet . . . — Map (db m514) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Leo J. BeachyPhotographing the National Road
“My camera lens does not lie. It took just what it saw, no more, no less.” –Leo Beachy Leo J. Beachy (1874–1927) left us a special legacy. One of seven children raised on a farm named Mt. Nebo, he lived in these . . . — Map (db m431) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Little Meadows
General Braddock's 4th camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 17, 1755. Washington arrived here after Braddock's defeat July 15th, 1755. Washington also stopped here May 9th, 1754, July 7th or 8th, 1754, October 1st, 1770, November 26th, 1770 and . . . — Map (db m361) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Mountain Maryland Gateway to the WestGarret County
[Side 1] Gateway to the West The overarching theme in the Heritage Area is Garrett County's relationship to the opening and development of America's western frontier in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. In fact Garrett County is . . . — Map (db m98584) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Negro MountainThe Highest Point on the National Road
You have reached the highest point on the National Road. Here, in the far western mountains of Maryland is the backbone of eastern America. In 1817, the National Road construction crew took on the challenge of crossing this tough terrain by laying a . . . — Map (db m5409) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — New Germany LakeNew Germany State Park — Friends of New Germany
Long before 1930, thirteen acres of low-lying land in the village of New Germany was flooded and dammed. An earthen dam was constructed, largely through the efforts of John Swauger, to hold back the waters of Poplar Lick Run for the operation of his . . . — Map (db m61167) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Robert Lee Payne
In memory of Robert Lee Payne, Major U.S.A.F., who died here from the crash of a B-52 Jan. 13, 1964. A kind and loving husband and father. — Map (db m67300) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Stanton’s Mill
In 1797, Thomas Stanton conveyed water rights to Jesse Tomlinson, and Tomlinson built the first grist mill on the site of Col. Dunbar's 1755 hospital encampment. The mill was prime reason for settlement in this area. In addition to being an . . . — Map (db m438) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Swauger MillNew Germany State Park — Friends of New Germany
In 1850, this land was the site of a three-story gristmill, which processed wheat, buckwheat and cornmeal for the people who lived in the village of New Germany. John Swauger built the gristmill piece by piece, using hardwood from his own property, . . . — Map (db m61169) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — The Fuller-Baker HouseA Rare Log Building with a Pedigree
This humble log cabin is a rare survivor of a common dwelling built by early settlers on the Allegheny frontier. Built after 1813 as a two-story log building, its large size has led some to believe it was once used as a tavern, giving respite to . . . — Map (db m4921) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — The Little Crossings
The "Little Crossings" of the Little Youghiogeny River, now called Castleman's River). So called by George Washington when he crossed on June 19, 1755, with General Edward Braddock on the ill-fated expedition to Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). — Map (db m358) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — The National PikeSpruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk
In 1806 Congress authorized and funded the construction of a National Road from Cumberland, MD to the Ohio River at Wheeling, WV. This National Road, also known as the National Pike or Cumberland Road, was our nation's first highway and truly the . . . — Map (db m84794) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Traveling the National Road
Granstville's Main Street, designated today as Alt. Route 40, was once part of the National Road, the country's first federally funded highway. Visit our Town Park to learn more about the history of the National Road. Traffic on the National Road . . . — Map (db m359) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — Yoder House
The Yoder House is being built to preserve and share the Yoder story. The House of Yoder, nonprofit, tax exempt corporation was formed and construction followed ground breaking on October 21, 1995. Work progressed as donated funds and labor became . . . — Map (db m98537) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), McHenry — Col. James McHenry of Baltimore
(1753-1816) Aide to Gen. George Washington during the revolution, McHenry was a physician, signer of the constitution from Maryland and Secretary of War from 1796-1800. Named in his honor was the Baltimore fort that withstood the British bombardment . . . — Map (db m57) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), McHenry — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m2170) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), McHenry — Thayer Game Refuge
1029 acres, purchased June 28, 1927, from John O. Thayer; from Hunter's License Fund, for the purpose of propagating game. — Map (db m396) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), McHenry — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m2171) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Mountain Lake Park — You Were Gone Before We Knew ItThe Children’s Monument
No long farewell embraces, No time to say goodbye, You were gone before we knew it. And no matter how we try, Our tears can’t build a stairway, Nor our memories a lane, That reaches up to Heaven, To bring you home again. So with . . . — Map (db m480) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — 1884 Oakland Train Station
Given the architectural design term "Queen Ann Style" by its architect E. Francis Baldwin, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's "1884 Oakland Train Station" is the third building to occupy this location. The first station was a small, square two-story . . . — Map (db m399) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — A Bit of History - The Fireside
The large stone fireplace that now stands like a sentinel along the railroad tracks is a solitary reminder of Oakland's colorful hey-day. In the late 1800’s the area from here to the B&O station was a virtual beehive of activity. With twelve . . . — Map (db m488) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Campsite
In August 1918, and again in July 1921, Henry Ford, Thomas A. Edison, Harvey Firestone, John Burroughs and company encamped here by Muddy Creek Falls. — Map (db m633) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Civilian Conservation Corps1933 -1942
A nationwide program established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to perform emergency natural resource conservation work on public lands. The C C C employed millions during the depression and set the standards for the development of our State and . . . — Map (db m42005) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Cobbler Shop In 1859
This building is one of Oakland’s oldest. Also known as New Glades House & Central Hotel, Dr. M.C. Hinebaugh’s Hospital in 1908. — Map (db m634) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Deep Creek Lake, Garrett County
Property of the Youghiogheny Hydro Electric Corporation of the Associated Gas and Electric System. Lake under the supervision of the Conservation Department of Maryland. The following streams flow into the lake: Deep and Cherry Creeks, North and . . . — Map (db m58) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Forestry Beginning
State Forestry in Maryland began within 1/4 mile of this point, when on April 5, 1906, John and Robert Garrett gave the state 1,967 acres for forestry demonstration purposes. Today this forest and associated parks are providing multiple benefits to . . . — Map (db m68835) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Fort AliceRailroad Bridge Destroyed
On April 26, 1863, during the Confederate occupation of Oakland, a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill's partisan rangers attacked the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad bridge here over the Youghiogheny River. They were part of a larger group . . . — Map (db m481) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Garrett County Courthouse
The domed building on the hill to your right is the Garrett County Courthouse. Built in 1907 in a classical Greek style and designed by Architect J. Riley Gordon, this is the second building in Oakland to be called the Garrett County Courthouse. The . . . — Map (db m487) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Garrett Memorial Church(St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church)
Directly behind you, John W. Garrett built Garrett Memorial Church in 1869 as a memorial to his brother Henry S. Garrett who died in 1867. The site was originally chosen by his brother for a church, but he died before steps could be taken to build . . . — Map (db m467) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m484) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Hoye - Crest
Highest point in Maryland: Backbone Mountain, Garrett County, 3360 feet above sea level. Named for Captain Charles E. Hoye, founder of the Garrett County Historical Society. Dedicated September 1, 1952. — Map (db m154) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — MaryLandscapes
The Bay is part of a vast interconnected ecosystem. Everything done on land affects the Bay and the plants and animals that live there. Who is affected by the health of the Chesapeake Bay? The 48 major rivers, 100 smaller rivers, and . . . — Map (db m486) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — OaklandConfederate Railroad Raid
On Sunday, April 26, 1863, a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill's partisan rangers under Col. A. W. Harman attacked the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad facilities here in Oakland. They were part of Confederate Gen. William E. . . . — Map (db m485) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Railroad Street
In the late 1800's there were twelve passenger trains a day stopping at the Oakland train station, and hordes of vacationers flooding the town. Perhaps the busiest section of Oakland was Railroad Street, which ran parallel to the tracks between the . . . — Map (db m68927) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Rasche Blacksmith Shop
On this site in 1851 stood the blacksmith shop operated by Henry August Rasche, then in the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The B & O line was at the time being extended through Oakland, Allegany County, Maryland, westward into Preston . . . — Map (db m68878) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — The First Garrett County Courthouse
On December 4, 1872, following a public vote by the residents of Western Maryland, Governor William Pinkney Whyte issued a proclamation establishing a new county, created out of the western-most portion of Allegany County. The new county was named . . . — Map (db m68886) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — The Glades Hotel
Facing the railroad tracks directly in front of you was the Glades Hotel. Deriving its name from the nearby area called “Youghiogheny Glades,” the Glades Hotel was built in the mid-1850’s by Perry Lyle directly across the tracks from the . . . — Map (db m468) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — The Oakland Hotel
Early in the 1870's, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad realized an asset to its passenger train service would be having a resort hotel in this area. First, it built the Deer Park Hotel in 1873, which proved so successful that in 1875 they started . . . — Map (db m68876) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Tradition of Washington Spring
The flat land beside the little Youghiogheny River on the western edge of Oakland has two items of historic interest. First, it contains a spring, and according to tradition, George Washington stopped at the spring on the morning of September 26, . . . — Map (db m68806) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Welcome to Dailey’s Park
Dailey’s Park. The Garrett County Historical Society welcomes you to Dailey’s Park. This park is named in honor of John and Ann Rebecca Dailey, who owned and operated the Glades Hotel in Oakland from 1859 to 1881. Historian Thomas Scharf noted . . . — Map (db m466) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Youghiogheny GroveSwallow Falls State Park — Swallow Falls Canyon Trail
This 37 acre area of virgin hemlock and white pine has trees estimated to be 300+ years old and is the last stand of its kind in Maryland. Designated as a sensitive management area, cutting and development are restricted to a minimum. — Map (db m61186) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Red House — McCulloch’s Path
(Named for an early pioneer.) The first trail through The Glades passed near this point. George Washington on his visit here in September 1784, wrote of it: “McCulloch’s Path which owes its origin to buffaloes, being no other than their tracks . . . — Map (db m457) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Redhouse — Highest Point on the Maryland State Roads System
Elevation 3095 feet. Maryland State Roads Commission. J. N. Mackall, Chairman & Chief Engineer; L.T. Downey, District Engineer. Contractor: T. D. Claiborne Co. Inc., August Mencken. — Map (db m1071) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Swanton — Altamont – Confederate Railroad Raid
On April 26, 1863, a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill’s partisan rangers attacked the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad facilities here at Altamont. They were part of a larger group that entered Oakland that Sunday as Confederate Gen. . . . — Map (db m37544) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Swanton — Deep Creek Lake Discovery CenterA Healthy Lake Needs Trees
Wildlife Habitat- Lakeside forests offer a mix of habitat that benefits wildlife species. The moist fertile soils support a diversity of beneficial plants that provide food and cover. Mink, otter, deer, bear, songbirds, waterfowl, turtles, . . . — Map (db m61184) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Swanton — Fighting Forest Fires
State Forester Fred W. Besley developed Maryland's first systematic program of fighting forest fires. Beginning in 1910, Besley commissioned an elite corps of volunteers called forest wardens that numbered about 650 in 1935. Their responsibilities . . . — Map (db m98504) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Swanton — Fighting Forest Fires Is a Hard Job
During the early 20th century, forest fires ravaged Maryland, impacting both people and wildlife, and costing uncalculated dollars worth of damage annually. Not only was marketable timber lost, but so were emerging sprouts and seedlings. Moreover, . . . — Map (db m98506) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Swanton — History of Deep Creek Lake
The Deep Creek Project was begun in 1922 by the Youghiogheny Hydro-Electric Corporation and was completed in 1925. Deep Creek Lake is the largest man-made lake in Maryland. At full pool, Deep Creek Lake has 65 miles of shoreline and sites at 2462 . . . — Map (db m98503) HM

68 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement