Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Mary's County Maryland Historical Markers

 
St. Joseph's Manor Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, February 11, 2015
St. Joseph's Manor Marker
Maryland (St. Mary's County), California — St. Joseph's Manor
Nicholas Hervey (also Harvey) having "prayeth a grant of mannor" of 1,000 acres of south side of Patuxent River in 1641 "for transporting into the province this present year himself his wife and five other persons." Cecilius Calvert on 25 January . . . — Map (db m81162) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — "Deep Falls"
Originally patented March 26, 1680 as "Wales. Homestead of the Thomas Family, the present house was built in 1745. Major William Thomas Jr. (1758-1813) of the famous "Maryland Line" and Dr. James Thomas (1785-1845) Governor of Maryland 1833-36 lived . . . — Map (db m81166) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — Chaptico
Established in 1683 as one of the four ports of entry in St. Mary's County. Shipping continued until early in the twentieth century. Christ Church, built in 1736, has been used continuously since. On July 30, 1814, British forces looted the town, . . . — Map (db m17425) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — ChapticoA History of Rebellion
Tiny Chaptico was home to many daring men, beginning with John Coode who led Maryland's 1689 Protestant Rebellion. During the Civil War, Chaptico's blockade runners carried medicin and other supplies at night across the Potomac River past Union . . . — Map (db m17426) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — Christ Church King and Queen Parish
Christ Church King and Queen Parish has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior for its significance in American History — Map (db m81168) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Chaptico — Prosperous Port TownRaided by British, July 1814
Colonial Settlement followed the rivers inland, and harbors with deep water became commercial and social centers. The Maryland colony was founded in 1634, and Chaptico was officially established by 1683. In 1689, Chaptico's John Goode organized a . . . — Map (db m62741) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé
In Memoriam. Cadet Pierre A. Mourthé, Class of 1919, Born September 6th 1897 at Pau, France, who met his death by accidental drowning August 24th, 1917. — Map (db m941) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Charlotte Hall School
In 1774, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation for the establishment of a school near “Ye Coole Springs” for the education of boys from St. Mary’s, Charles, Calvert, and Prince George’s counties. As a result of the . . . — Map (db m81186) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Charlotte Hall School
An outgrowth of the “Free Schools” established in Maryland in 1723, founded in 1774 “to provide for the liberal and pious education of the youth of this province, the better to fit them for the discharge of their duties.” . . . — Map (db m81286) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Coole Springs of Saint Marie’sCharlotte Hall, Maryland
Waters of exceptional purity and reputed healing quality led to the establishment near here of one of the earliest hospitals in the North American Colonies, authorized by the General Assembly, October 20, 1698. — Map (db m929) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Maryland Begins Here
St. Mary’s County Welcome Center. Dedicated to all citizens and visitors of St. Mary’s County, Maryland. In 1634, a group of courageous voyagers left England and all that was familiar and set out for the New World in search of religious . . . — Map (db m944) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — No Match for British MightStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Bounded by the Patuxent and the Potomac, St. Mary’s County felt the squeeze as British invaders attacked along both rivers, plundering towns and plantations at will. Officials petitioned for federal help “to rescue and save us.” Little . . . — Map (db m81180) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Rear Admiral Raphael Semmes C.S.N.
(1807–1877) Born Charles County. Attended Charlotte Hall Mil. Academy. US Navy – Mexican War. Practiced Law. Commissioned in CSN 1861. Captained CSS Sumter. Later commanded CSS Alabama. Most successful raider with 82 naval victories. . . . — Map (db m942) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac"
Tourism thrived on the island after Dr. Joseph McWilliams built a steamboat wharf in 1868. Dr. McWilliams enlarged his home to make room for a growing number of summer visitors from Baltimore and Washington. he also added cottages, a dining hall, . . . — Map (db m24198) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — "With a laudable and pious zeal...""for the propagation of the Christian faith"
A Catholic Mass, the first in English America, was celebrated here on March 25, 1634. It was a time of beginnings; the first day of the year on the old Julian Calendar and the Feast of the Annunciation. Catholic leaders were determine to . . . — Map (db m24191) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — A Target for Big Guns
In 1918, the United States War Department established the Dahlgren Proving Grounds in King George County, Virginia. Military leaders who had observed the death and destruction of World War I wanted more accurate and effective large guns for future . . . — Map (db m104737) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Blackistone Island LighthouseKeepers of the Light
1851 Isaac Wood 1853 George Goddard 1859 Jerome L. McWilliams 1868 Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams 1875 Mrs. Josephine McWilliams Freeman 1912 William M. Freeman, Jr. 1913 Leonard H. Staubly 1917 Francis E. Butterfield, Jr. 1918 William . . . — Map (db m24187) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Maryland Began Here!
Two ships, the 400-ton Ark and the 50-ton Dove landed almost 150 English settlers here in March of 1634. After a stormy passage from England, the 28-year-old Governor Leonard Calvert, brother of Lord Baltimore, looked for a safe place . . . — Map (db m24194) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Mother of Light Shrine
East Face Maryland was dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God, during the first Mass held on St. Clement's Island. John Carroll, the first Catholic Bishop of the United States declared our young nation to be under Mary's protection in 1792. . . . — Map (db m9496) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Potomac River Dory Boat
The Potomac River dory boat originated around the 1880s and was built almost exclusively within this area of St. Mary's County, Maryland. How the name dory boat came to be is unknown, but its unique design features a V-bottom, planked lengthwise . . . — Map (db m22148) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Saint Clement’s Island(One-half mile offshore)
Site of the first landing of Governor Leonard Calvert and the Maryland colonists, March 25, 1634. Here, on the same day, Father Andrew White, S. J. celebrated the first Catholic mass in the British-American colonies. The Island became a part of . . . — Map (db m9152) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clement's Island
To this island in March 1634, Governor Leonard Calvert and the first Maryland colonists came in the vessels Ark and Dove. Here they took possession of the Province of Maryland, erected a cross of Maryland wood and celebrated the Holy Sacrifice. Here . . . — Map (db m24197) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clement's Island Lighthouse"None of the Lighthouses ... are Safe"
On May 19, 1864 Confederates raided St. Clement's Island to destroy the 1851 lighthouse. Capt. John Goldsmith, a county residence who had once owned the island, led the attack, having joined the Confederate army in Virginia. In a thirty-foot . . . — Map (db m9181) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clements Manor
1639 11,400 acres In St. Clements Hundred, St. Mary’s County laid out with court leet and baron, and patented to Dr. Thomas Gerard, ESQ. and bequeathed to his oldest son Capt. Justinian Gerard — Map (db m9183) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — The Shrinking Island
Glaciers, storms, tides and winds are constantly creating and destroying islands and shorelines throughout the Chesapeake Bay region. According to Maryland settler and Jesuit missionary Father Andrew White, St. Clement's Island was 400 acres in . . . — Map (db m24196) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Welcome to St. Clement's Island
This small island, one of hundreds in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, has a history as old as Maryland. St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a . . . — Map (db m24200) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Welcome to St. Clement's Island
This small island, one of hundreds in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, has a history as old as Maryland. St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a . . . — Map (db m24201) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Compton — Manor of Little Brittaine
Later known as "Newtowne Manor" in New Towne Hundred, St. Mary's Co. Patented in 1640 to William Bretton, Gent. early clerk of the general assembly, member of second general assembly, magistrate of St. Mary's Co. — Map (db m9041) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Compton — The Wished For Country
After braving a four month voyage from England, the Maryland colonists first landed on St. Clements Island. It was here that Governor Leonard Calvert took possession "...for Saviour and Sovereigh..." on March 25, 1634. The seeds of Religious . . . — Map (db m9182) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Cecil's Mill Historic District
The original water-powered textile mill. "Clifton factory," built in 1812,was rebuilt as a flour mill in 1900 by John Thomas Cecil. Historic district also includes Cecil's Country Store and post office built in 1906. — Map (db m16792) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Great Mills — Cecil's Saw Mill
A saw mill has been on this site since circa 1820. The present structure has been restored using most of the "American" saw mill parts dating from 1910. The mill has not operated since the fatal injury of H. Robb Cecil on 22 April 1959. Restoration . . . — Map (db m62591) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hillville — Fenwick Manor
On April 24, 1651 Cuthbert Fenwick was granted absolute lordship of Fenwick Manor. Sometimes called St. Cuthbert's Manor, with all the rights and privileges of holding court baron and court leet. The manor was 2,000 acres in resurrection hundred on . . . — Map (db m81163) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Port of Entry
During colonial days, English government has hopes of exporting furs, foodstuffs, timber, flax and other products from Maryland's ports to the home county. In reality, tobacco was the only notable item produced and exported to England in large . . . — Map (db m62630) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Rosedale
Part of Resurrection Manor An original grant in 1650 of 4000 acres to Thomas Cornwaleys, Esq. with Court Leet and Court Baron "and all things belonging therunto by law and custom of England" Dedicated May 1972 by the National Society of . . . — Map (db m62460) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Sotterley's Remaining Slave Cabin
In the 18th century, enslaved African Americans were housed in outlying barns and buildings of the plantation, as well as in the passageways of the manor house. By the 19th century, approximately ten slave cabins were constructed between the ravine . . . — Map (db m62593) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Tobacco's Impact
Tobacco farming dramatically changed Southern Maryland's natural environment by depleting the rich soils of nutrients. In the 18th and 19th centuries, farmers rotated fields, introduced fertilizers and guano (bat dung), and employed deeper plowing . . . — Map (db m62613) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — War Hits HomeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Sotterley and other nearby plantations paid a heavy price in the War of 1812. British blockades impeded trade of their principal cash crop -- tobacco -- and enemy raids plundered the region. In June 1814 British forces landed near Sotterley, . . . — Map (db m62610) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — A Town SparedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
In July 1813, British troops seized St. Clements and St. George Islands and established a base at Point Lookout. From there they repeatedly raided the countryside, terrorizing local residents They ramped up their assault in the summer of . . . — Map (db m80392) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Center of CitizenshipTarget of Three-Prong Attack
Leonardtown's Early Years Carved from a large land grant named New Towne Hundred by an act of Maryland's Early Colonial government to advance commerce, this area had been known by several other names --Sheppard's Old Fields, Seymour Towne, . . . — Map (db m81523) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Fun on the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
The waterfront was fun and exciting for all ages. The last quarter of the 19th century has been called Maryland's Golden Age. It was a time of expanding educational and economic opportunities and during those years, the waterfront provided . . . — Map (db m62711) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Invasion!Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Imagine the scene here on July 19, 1814, as Breton Bay filled with barges of British Royal Marines intent on attacking Leonardtown. Rear Admiral George Cockburn led the invasion force that came ashore at the town wharf. Raiders also approached the . . . — Map (db m62640) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownEstablished in 1660
Named Seymour Town in honor of Governor John Seymour and designated St. Mary’s county seat by the General Assembly in 1708. Name changed to Leonardtown by the General Assembly in 1728 in honor of Leonard Calvert, first colonial governor of Maryland. — Map (db m953) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownSpies, Intriguers and Blockade Runners
When the white citizens of St. Mary’s County voted here in the 1860 presidential election, John Breckenridge, the secessionist candidate who carried Maryland, got 920 votes. Abraham Lincoln received 9 percent of the popular Maryland vote; the . . . — Map (db m955) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Site of the Methodist Episcopal Meeting House (c.1847)
The Oldest Surviving Building on Washington Street A Prime Example of Adaptive Re-Use Listed in the Maryland Historical Trust 1852 – Wesley Chapel 1875 – St.Mary's Reading Room         and Debating Society – Library . . . — Map (db m81522) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Steamboats at the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
A Way of life...never to be seen again. David C. Holly, Tidewater by Steamboat In the midst of the War of 1812, The Chesapeake, first steamboat built to ply the waters of the Chesapeake Bay, safely made its maiden voyage . . . — Map (db m62718) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — The Great House
On this site, lot 39, as designated of a plat of Leonardtown c. 1728, was constructed the “Great House” of John Stewart. Built c. 1734, the structure stood until 1960 and over the years served many purposes being referenced at various . . . — Map (db m80379) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — The Mural Story
The mural scene depicts various time periods in Leonardtown’s history. In general, the left side of the painting presents an older time period, around the turn of the century. As you move to the right, the chronology advances to a point in the . . . — Map (db m957) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — This Cannon
This cannon was brought to Maryland in 1634 on The Ark. Used in defense of St. Mary’s City and as a St. Inigoes Manor boundary marker. Presented to St. Mary’s County Historical Society by The Society of Jesus. (original inscription . . . — Map (db m956) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Trade on the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
The Wharf Connected Leonardtown to the outside world. Before roads were built, or rails laid for trains, goods and people traveled by ship. In the mid-1600s, ships called directly at the wharves of Maryland plantations to pick up tobacco, . . . — Map (db m62678) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Tudor Hall
Formerly Americus Felix Secundus Built by Abraham Barnes in 1750 Extensively Enlarged by Philip Key In 1796 Is Now Dedicated to All Citizens of St. Mary's County As a Free Public Library The Gift of Mary Patterson Davidson 1950 . . . — Map (db m80358) HM WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — War Comes to Breton BayTudor Hall — Grand Home of Maryland Patriots
In 1812, our young Nation went to war against what was then the mightiest sea power on earth - Great Britain. It has been suggested that what Americans call the War of 1812 was instead the "American Theater" of the very first wrold war when France . . . — Map (db m17428) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — World War I Monument -- LeonardtownGloria Pro Patria In Armis Contendere
This Monument is gratefully erected by the citizens of St. Mary's County in honor of her heroes in the World War 1917-1918 and dedicated to this 11th day of November 1921 Gloria Pro Patria Mori The Names on this monument are . . . — Map (db m62749) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Against the OddsStar-Spangled Banner National Trail
Both a squadron of the British navy and severe weather challenged the famed Chesapeake Flotilla off Cedar Point on June 1, 1814. The modest fleet of armed barges was assembled by Joshua Barney to harass British ships. With an inadequate professional . . . — Map (db m62589) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community
The U.S. Navy developed Lexington Park to house the civilian workers who streamed into the area following the establishment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. Named for the storied carrier Lexington, it was the first planned community . . . — Map (db m56719) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Cedar Point Lighthouse
Panel 1: Chronology The Cedar Point Lighthouse marked the southern point of the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Patuxent River during the years from its completion in 1896 until it was abandoned by the Coast Guard in 1928. This . . . — Map (db m62467) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Grumman A-6 Intruder
The Intruder is a medium-attack, all weather day-night carrier-based combat aircraft. Its first flight (prototype YA-2F1 BuNo 147864) was on 16 April 1960. The Navy’s designation of the Intruder was changed from the A-2F to the A-6A in October 1962. . . . — Map (db m94285) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Patuxent River Naval Air MuseumNaval Air Station, Patuxent River, Maryland
This Museum is the vision of a group of Navy and civilian personnel who in 1974 set out to formally organize a museum to preserve and celebrate the history of the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River. They received support from the . . . — Map (db m60591) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Saint Nicholas Church
1637 Jesuit Mission of Father Andrew White was located a mile from here on Patuxent River, on land given by Mattapanient Indian Chief Macquacomen. The first St. Nicholas Church was built at this site in 1796 by Jesuit Father James Walton. Present . . . — Map (db m999) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Sikorsky CH-53A Sea Stallion
The CH-53A, the predecessor of America’s largest helicopter today, the CH-53E, was first flown in October 1964 and began entering service in 1966. Within 16,000 lb of cargo capacity, this large all-weather-capable helicopter could carry two jeeps, . . . — Map (db m94287) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — St. Mary’s County and U.S. Navy History
In 1942, the Department of Defense acquired land in St. Mary’s County and began construction of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, a facility that would play a crucial role in testing airplanes used on World War II aircraft carriers. The . . . — Map (db m56863) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — United States Colored TroopsCivil War Memorial Monument
African Americans have served in every war since the American Revolution. During the Civil War, more that 180,000 African Americans comprising 170 units served in the Union Army and 29,511 served in the Union Navy. Nearly 700 United States Colored . . . — Map (db m56476) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Lexington Park — Welcome to the African American Monument of St. Mary's County
This tribute to the unique contributions of African Americans in St. Mary's County spans the following areas: religion, farming, trades, domestic service, education, business, industry, community service, arts entertainment, health, sports, . . . — Map (db m62448) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — "Three Notch Road"
A law of 1704 provides that "three notches of equal distance marked on the trees indicated" A ROAD LEADING TO A FERRY "two notches with another notch a distance above the other two" A ROAD LEADING TO A COURTHOUSE "a slip cut down the face of . . . — Map (db m8931) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Oraville — De La Brooke ManorSurveyed July 28, 1630
Robert Brooke First Lord of the Manor, Born London 1602; died Brooke Place, 1655. Commander of Charles County, 1650. President Provincial Council and acting Governor of Maryland 1652. Council met at "De La Brooke" 1662. Original manor house . . . — Map (db m81178) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Bay Lights
Protecting ships from treacherous waters has been a necessity since ancient times when bonfires and strategically placed cottage lanterns warned seamen of dangers in fog and darkness. Lighthouses of the Chesapeake and Potomac River waterways are . . . — Map (db m9011) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — British Landing PreventedJuly 17, 1776
Capt. Rezin Beall (later Brig. Gen. in "Flying Camp") was wounded here in repulse of British efforts to cross to mainland from St. George's Island. Fighting continued until July 29, Lord Dunmore, commanding 72 marauding British vessels on Potomac . . . — Map (db m18720) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters
Most free standing light houses were accompanied by "keeper's quarters," which housed the light keepers and their families. The Piney Point Lighthouse and keeper's quarters were built in 1836 by John Donahoo of Havre de Grace. The original brick . . . — Map (db m8978) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay
Piney Point Lighthouse, Museum and Historic Park, a Chesapeake Bay Gateway, is one of your entry points to enjoy and learn about the places and stories of the Chesapeake and its watershed. The 64,000 square-mile watershed is a complete ecosystem. . . . — Map (db m9019) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Natural Highways
The Chesapeake Bay and its many tributaries have served as natural highways since the beginning of civilization. With the gradual development of villages and settlements along the shorelines, the waterways became the primary means of transportation . . . — Map (db m9014) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — OspreyPandion haliaetus
Visit Piney Point between March and October and you might see osprey at home on pilings used to moor oil barges. These graceful birds of prey return every year around St. Patricks Day from their winter homes in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuela. The . . . — Map (db m9016) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point“Summer White House”
The Piney Point area possesses its own unique social history and charm. Named for the loblolly and long leaf yellow pines along the shoreline, Piney Point became the social center of Washington D.C. between 1820 and 1910. President James Monroe . . . — Map (db m94280) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point Lighthouse
On Christmas Eve 1835, the Federal Government purchased 2.5 acres of land from William and Charlotte Suter for $300. A year later the first lighthouse constructed entirely on the shoreline of the Potomac River went into service at Piney Point. . . . — Map (db m9007) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point LighthouseThe Potomac Flotilla
In 1861, the U. S. created the Potomac Flotilla (gunboats and other armed vessels) to patrol the river and intercept Confederate blockade runners. Nevertheless, St. Mary's County residents frequently ferried supplies and men across to Virginia. A . . . — Map (db m65046) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Piney Point Lighthouse
On Christmas Eve of 1835, land consisting of 2.5 acres was purchased by the Federal Government from William and Charlotte Suter for three hundred dollars. The following year the first lighthouse constructed entirely on the shoreline of the Potomac . . . — Map (db m94283) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Piney Point — Potomac River Military Testing
Almost from the beginning of the new nation, the United States established military facilities along the Potomac River - to test guns and munitions before placing them into service, to train troops and to defend the Nation's Capital. Piney Point . . . — Map (db m8974) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — "Contraband" Camp
During the Civil War, thousands of enslaved African-Americans escaped from captivity in the South to liberty in the North. The grounds before once sheltered these freedom-seekers, know at that time as “Contraband”. Conditions in the . . . — Map (db m104760) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — "The Bean Pot"
On June 10, 1865 J.H. Thompson, former POW camp head surgeon, notified the public that Pt. Lookout had been “abandoned”. This notice was published in the St. Mary’s Gazette. The St. Mary’s Beacon newspaper had been seized during the war . . . — Map (db m60276) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Bustling Civil War Community
By the end of the Civil War in 1865, the military bases at Point Lookout had grown into a small city. Besides the hospitals and prison camp, you could find dockyards, saw mills and warehouses - even a railroad, a post office and newspaper. Point . . . — Map (db m8934) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Crucial PointStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
This site, where the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River merge, was an observation post for Americans during the War of 1812. It was also staging area for local militia in early summer of 1813. Two- to Three-thousand British troops occupied the . . . — Map (db m62446) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Place of History
Point Lookout is a witness to much of our nation’s history. As you survey the vast expanse of Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River, remember those who have come before.

Early Inhabitants Five thousand years ago, Native Americans first came . . . — Map (db m104745) HM

Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Seaside Resort at Point Lookout
The grassy area in front of you was once the site of a major resort. The geared wheels peeking out of the grass are all that remain. They were part of a power plant that provided lighting for the resort’ buildings and power for its water treatment . . . — Map (db m60316) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Death at Point Lookout
It is hard to imagine this tranquil site as a place of sickness, suffering and death. Yet during the Civil War, five graveyards marked Point Lookout. Why so many graves? In 1863, Union forces chose this isolated spot for a prisoner of war camp. . . . — Map (db m60286) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Defense Strategies
Imagine defending this isolated peninsula during the Civil War. There were threats from within (from thousands of prisoners) and from without (by Confederate soldiers trying to free their comrades or gain territory). What's more, a pro-Southern . . . — Map (db m104758) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Fort Lincoln
Standing before you is Fort Lincoln, the main Union fortification on the peninsula. As a key defense stronghold, Fort Lincoln, also known as Fort #2, was cleverly designed to resist attack. To defend against artillery fire or direct infantry . . . — Map (db m104759) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — John Wilkes BoothEscape of an Assassin
War on the Chesapeake Bay Divided loyalties and ironies tore at Marylanders’ hearts throughout the Civil War: enslaved African-Americans and free United States Colored Troops; spies and smugglers; civilians imprisoned without trial to . . . — Map (db m1000) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Let There Be Light
For 136 years, the Point lookout Lighthouse helped generations of Chesapeake Bay mariners avoid shoals, navigate through dense fog, and find the Potomac River’s mouth. The beam shone until 1966, when an automated light off Point Lookout assumed . . . — Map (db m104740) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Maryland and the Confederacy
The U.S. Government, located in Washington D.C. was surrounded by Maryland and Virginia. Since Virginia had already joined the Confederacy, it was critical in the survival of the Union that Maryland not be allowed to secede. The State was quickly . . . — Map (db m60278) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery
Erected by the United States to mark the burial place of Confederate Soldiers and Sailors who died at Point Lookout, Md., while prisoners of war and were there buried to the number of 3384, but whose remains were subsequently removed, either to . . . — Map (db m927) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Confederate Cemetery
Erected by the State of Maryland in memory of the Confederate Soldiers who died Prisoners of War at Point Lookout, from March 1st, 1864, to June 30th, 1865. (north face) “At the call of Patriotism and duty they encountered the . . . — Map (db m943) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prison
This memorial plaza is to honor the sacrifices of the 52,264 Confederate soldiers, sailors and civilians imprisoned near here during the War Between the States. Point Lookout prison camp was established immediately following the Battle of Gettysburg . . . — Map (db m60250) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prisoner-Of-War Camp(1863–1865)
After the Battle of Gettysburg, the Union established a prisoner-of-war depot near here. Confederate soldiers and Maryland civilians were imprisoned and guarded by 400 Union troops. With only tents for protection, 3,384 prisoners died. — Map (db m998) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prisoner-of-War Camp(1863-1865)
After the battle of Gettysburg, the Union established a prisoner-of-war depot near here. Confederate soldiers and Maryland civilians were imprisoned and guarded by 400 Union troops, with only tents for protection. 3,384 prisoners died. State Roads . . . — Map (db m60283) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout State ParkHammond General Hospital
Hammond General Hospital, opened at Point Lookout, Maryland, in August 1862, was named for Surgeon General William A. Hammond. The massive structure, built to accommodate 1,400 amen, was set on piles about two to three feet above ground and . . . — Map (db m1001) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Point Lookout-Hammond Hospital
This monument is dedicated to the memory of those soldiers, sailors, and hospital attendants from both North and South, who were here at Point Lookout from July 1862 to July 1865. This monument marks the general location of the Hammond Hospital — Map (db m60284) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Shipwreck!
Centuries of storms, fogs, shoals, collisions, combat, poor judgement and bad luck have plagued local mariners. Gazing across Point Lookout's waters, we can only wonder how many of their wrecks litter the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac . . . — Map (db m8935) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Smallpox Epidemic
Near this location during the Civil War was the smallpox hospital where thousands of people were quarantined. Highly contagious, horrible to behold and often fatal, smallpox was a dreaded disease. When the scourge hit the prison camp, officials . . . — Map (db m60285) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Storm Blocks the Route to Freedom
In April 1848, the Chesapeake Bay's stormy weather doomed a maritime dash to freedom by 77 slaves from Washington D.C. Anti-slavery activist William L. Chapin had arranged for the schooner Pearl to spirit the 77 to New York and liberty. . . . — Map (db m62551) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — Disaster at Ragged PointUSS Tulip Boilers an Ongoing Problem During the War
Immediately after commissioning the Tulip experienced boiler problems. In August 1863, her boilers were building pressure to hazardous conditions and in mid-October, she was ordered to the Washington Navy Yard for boiler repairs. Steam drums were . . . — Map (db m62179) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — St. Ignatius Church
This Property St. Ignatius Church Has been placed on the the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior — Map (db m80291) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Manor of Cornwaleys’ Cross
2000 acres granted Sept. 8th, 1639 to Thomas Cornwaleys who came to Maryland with “The Ark and The Dove.” He and Jerome Hawley were appointed “His Lordship’s Commissioners for the government of said Province” 1633 with . . . — Map (db m977) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Tulip Disaster
On November 11, 1864, U.S.S. Tulip converted lighthouse tender gunboat, acting master William H. Smith, U.S. Navy commanding, departed this area for Washington for boiler repair. When off Piney Point, she blew up and sank, presumably . . . — Map (db m62177) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — The Union's Defense
Potomac Flotilla Created to Protect Chesapeake Tidelands Maryland, especially Southern Maryland, was not "neutral" in the Civil War. The U.S. Navy realized early in the conflict that the Potomac River was both a conduit for attacks to the . . . — Map (db m104747) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — USS Tulip Monument
In Memory of Those Who Perished in the Explosion of the U.S.S. Tulip, November 11, 1864 A Sacrifice of Lives In Discharge of Duty and in the Interest of Achieving Peace and Scientific Advance. Erected June 15, 1940 ~ Under an Act of . . . — Map (db m62180) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — After the Disastrous Fire
Pro Deo. Pro Patria. This tablet erected in honor of Hon. Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland, members of the General Assembly 1924 and other public spirited citizens in recognition of their co-operation in restoring this historic . . . — Map (db m973) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Commemorating Maryland’s Pride and Glory“Freedom of Conscience”
In the early 1880s, Marylanders began to commemorate the “lost city” of St. Mary’s as a place of special significance. The 300th anniversary of Maryland’s founding in 1934 brought renewed attention and enthusiasm. The State House replica . . . — Map (db m959) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Entrance to First State House of Maryland
In memory of Nicholas Young of St. Mary’s Co. Maryland, elected to the House of Burgesses Nov 30, 1665. Boxwood dedicated June 13, 1932, and tablet placed through Maj. William Thomas Chapter, D.A.R. by Delia Harris Maddox, Ann Delia Power . . . — Map (db m1006) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Here Lyeth The Body
Here lyeth the body of Lionel Copley of Wadworth, County York, England, born 1648, died Sept. 27, 1693. And of Anne Boteler, his wife, of Watton, Woodhull, County Herts, England, died March 5, 1692. He was sometime Lieutenant Governour of . . . — Map (db m1005) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — In 1648 Margaret Brent Asks for “Vote...And Voyce”
Margaret Brent (ca. 1601–1671), a Catholic gentlewoman, lived in Maryland from 1638 to 1650. In June 1647 the dying governor, Leonard Calvert, made her executrix of his estate with power to pay the soldiers he had hired to put down a . . . — Map (db m950) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — John Llewellyn
First register of the Colonial Land Office, Clerk of the Assembly 1682, Chief Clerk to the Secretary of the Province 1692, member of the committee signing protest against the removal of the Capital from St. Mary’s City to Annapolis 1694. His home . . . — Map (db m962) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Laura Maryland Carpenter BlinnMistress Margaret Brent
The National Society, Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America placed this tablet in honor of our National President 1952–1955 Laura Maryland Carpenter Blinn, born in St. Mary’s County and whose ancestors landed here with the Lord . . . — Map (db m951) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Leonard Calvert1610–1647
Lord of St. Michael’s, Trinity, and St. Gabriel’s Manors with Court Leet and Court Baron. First governor of Maryland 1634–1647. — Map (db m960) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Leonard Calvert
(west face) To the memory of Leonard Calvert, First Governor of Maryland this monument is erected by the State of Maryland. (north face) Leonard Calvert, second son of George Calvert, first Baron of Baltimore and Anne, his wife, . . . — Map (db m968) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Mathias de Sousa
Mathias de Sousa was the first black Marylander. Of African and Portuguese descent, he was one of nine indentured servants brought to Maryland by Jesuit missionaries and was on The Ark when Lord Baltimore’s expedition arrived in the St. . . . — Map (db m5626) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Mattapany Street
The first road built by the colonists in Maryland. It led from “St. Marys” to “Mattapany” on the Patuxent River. Referred to in 1639 as the “Mattapany Path.” — Map (db m976) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Saint Mary’s Female Seminary
Established by act of Assembly, 1839. A monument to the birth of the State, 1634. “Where the mothers of future generations may receive their education at a place so well calculated to inspire affection and attachment for their native . . . — Map (db m972) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — St. Mary’s CityCapital of Maryland, 1634–1694
Here, for the first time in America, men and women of differing faiths lived in peace and goodwill, practicing freedom of conscience, according to Lord Baltimore’s “Instructions to Colonists,” 1633. “Freemen Assembled,” of . . . — Map (db m961) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — St. Mary’s Female Seminary
The State’s 200th anniversary memorial established by Act of the Legislature of 1839 as a living monument to mark the birthplace of the State and of religious liberty. — Map (db m958) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — The First State House of Maryland
On this site was erected in 1676 the first State House of Maryland. Previous to this date the Assembly met in various places subsequent to the Planting of the Province at St. Mary’s City, March 27, 1634. The twelve stone markers forming a cross . . . — Map (db m967) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — The Landing of the Ark and the Dove
(No inscription save the title. This marker tells its story pictorially.)Map (db m909) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Thomas Allen Senior
In memory of Thomas Allen Senior, a passenger of the Ark and Dove expedition, member of Assembly of Maryland 1648, Justice of the Peace of Isle of Kent, found shot on the sands of Point Lookout, St. Mary’s County Maryland August 11, 1648. Placed by . . . — Map (db m949) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish
Built 1642 on Smith’s Creek, Saint Mary’s County. Removed to lot near present rectory, Saint Mary’s City. In 1695 the Capital was removed from Saint Mary’s City to Annapolis and the State House came to be a place of Church of England worship. . . . — Map (db m910) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Discovering Layers of the Past
This area demonstrates that there are many layers of the past at St. Mary's City. Artifacts have come out of the ground here from a span of nearly nine thousand years, starting with prehistoric Native American sites and continuing through recent . . . — Map (db m80293) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Entrance to First State House of Maryland
In Memory of Thomas Harris Who with his Wife, Anne, Settled on Grant called Land of Harris In Charles Co. MD, Aug, 30, 1650 Founder of the Harris Family of Southern Maryland Some of Whom Served the State with Distinction in . . . — Map (db m80353) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Fear of War, People of Peace
When Maryland's first Settlers arrived in 1634 they expected to encounter trouble, both from local American Indians and from rival English Colonists across the Potomac River in Virginia. To assure a place of safety they built a fort at St. Mary's . . . — Map (db m94429) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Governing“…a convenient place for the administration of Justice.”
This building is a reconstruction of the colony of Maryland's State House finished in 1676. The original brick State House was located just north of here on a bluff that is now the cemetery of Trinity Episcopal Church. In that building the . . . — Map (db m81583) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — Sharing Land and LegacyCommemorating
This ancient corner of St. Mary's City includes lands held by St. Mary's Parish (Trinity Episcopal Church), and the Historic St. Mary's City Commission. They have a long intertwined history. After Maryland's capital was moved to Annapolis in . . . — Map (db m80417) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — The Arrival of Governor Copley
On May 10, 1692, Maryland's new governor, Sir Lionel Copley, met with the colony's legislature for the first time. This meeting marked the beginning of royal control of Maryland and it occurred at Garrett Van Sweringen's Council Chamber. The scene . . . — Map (db m80278) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary's City — The St. Mary’s ChapelMaryland’s First Brick Church
The St. Mary’s Chapel, built about 1667, was Maryland’s first major brick building. The structure was built in the form of a cross, 55 feet long and 57 feet wide at the arms of the cross. In frontier Maryland, where most settlers lived in humble . . . — Map (db m94324) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St.. Mary's City — Upon This Shore
On Saturday, June 23, 1984 The Honorable Harry Hughes, Governor of Maryland and His Royal Highness, Edward, Duke of Kent dedicated this place, site of our State's first Settlement and first Capital to the memory of the first colonists . . . — Map (db m80445) HM

129 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement