Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Maryland Historical Markers

738 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 538
 
An Indian Deed Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, July 28, 2007
An Indian Deed Marker
Maryland (Washington County), Antietam — An Indian Deed
On Harpers Ferry Road near Limekiln Road, on the right when traveling north.
Israel Friend in 1727 secured a deed from the Indian chiefs of the Five Nations. Beginning “at the mouth of Andietum Creek thence up the Potomack River 200 shoots as fur as an arrow can be slung out of a bow” thence “100 shoots . . . — Map (db m1972) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Antietam — Lock 34, Harpers Ferry
On Harpers Ferry Road, on the right when traveling south.
Lock 34 was often referred to as "Goodheart's Lock". Willard Goodheart was the last locktender at this location. Like nearby Lockhouse 33, the lockhouse at Lock 34 was destroyed in the great flood of 1936. Of the 1936 flood, Mr. Goodheart as quoted . . . — Map (db m23872) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — "Old Fort Frederick"
Near Fort Frederick Road south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the right when traveling south.
During the American War for Independence Fort Frederick was revitalized for military purposes. The Continental Congress turned the fort into a prison camp to house captured British soldiers. As a result the fort became extremely overcrowded, and . . . — Map (db m96137) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — “...a place of Arms...would be absolutely neccessary”
Near Fort Frederick Road south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the right when traveling south.
Throughout the 18th Century, the major colonial powers of France and Great Britain were vying for control of North America. By the 1750's the British extended their settlements westward over the Appalachian Mountains and the French moved south out . . . — Map (db m96135) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — “...to protect, preserve...and provide access thereto for the public.”
Near Fort Frederick Road south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the right when traveling south.
During the American War for Independence Fort Frederick was revitalized for military purposes. The Continental Congress turned the fort into a prison camp to house captured British soldiers. As a result the fort became extremely overcrowded, and . . . — Map (db m96138) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Big Pool JunctionWestern Maryland Rail Trail
On Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56) south of Exit 12 (Interstate 70), on the right when traveling south.
The eighteen miles of rails between Hagerstown and Big Pool were the busiest of the Western Maryland Railway. It was here in 1892 that a connection was made with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad across the Potomac River at Cherry Run, West . . . — Map (db m735) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Big Pool Veterans Memorial
On Tedrick Drive 0.1 miles north of Ernstville Road, on the right when traveling north.
A memorial to those who went and never returned to honor those who served and kept us safe our service men and women of the Big Pool, District 15 area — Map (db m139131) WM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort FrederickMaryland State Park
On National Pike (U.S. 40) at Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the left when traveling west on National Pike.
Colonial stone fort built 1756 for Province of Maryland by Gov. Horatio Sharpe to protect frontier against French and Indians after Braddock’s defeat. Detention camp for British prisoners 1776–83. Occupied 1861–2 by Union troops. George . . . — Map (db m681) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort FrederickA Witness to War
On Fort Frederick Road south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the right when traveling south.
Built by the Maryland colony in 1756 during the French and Indian War, Fort Frederick’s stone walls surrounded three large buildings. The colonists abandoned the frontier fort in 1759, when the threat of Indian raids subsided. During the . . . — Map (db m821) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort Frederick
On Fort Frederick Road, on the left when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m103762) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Fort Frederick Officers’ Quarters
Near Fort Frederick Road south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56).
A Ghost in the Ground. Before you is the foundation of “The Governor’s House,” the building that served as the officers’ quarters, ceremonial hall and storeroom for Fort Frederick. What did that building look like? We know the size . . . — Map (db m823) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Four Locks
On Four Locks Road, on the left when traveling west.
Here the Potomac River makes a meandering four-mile loop around Prather’s Neck. To avoid the bend in the river, the canal engineers cut the canal one-half mile across the neck. Because of the rapid elevation change, these four locks were necessary . . . — Map (db m15285) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Fort Frederick Road, on the right when traveling south.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m32675) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Mule Power
On Four Locks Road, on the left when traveling west.
“Here at Four Locks mule barn, mules rested during the winter months. Boat captains left their mules here, paying a mule tended to care for them. Often the mules grew thin because the keeper did not feed the mules as well as their owners did. . . . — Map (db m15278) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Nathan WilliamsA Prosperous Farm
On Fort Frederick Road south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the right when traveling south.
Nathan Williams was the son of Samuel “Big Sam” Williams, a slave who in 1826 bought freedom for himself, his wife, and his four children. In 1839, the elder Williams purchased a farm near Four Locks, about 3.5 miles east of Fort . . . — Map (db m5571) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
On Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56) south of Exit 12 (Interstate 70), on the right when traveling south.
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m820) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
On Fort Frederick Road, on the right when traveling south.
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m32677) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — Three Eras of Transportation Side by SideWestern Maryland Rail Trail
Near Ernstville Road 0.8 miles south of National Pike (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
Facing west, the C&O Canal is visible at the lower left. The coming of the railroad helped to end the usefulness of canals. To the right is the Interstate 70 bridge over the creek. The building of modern roads played a part in making the Western . . . — Map (db m96153) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Spring — Four Locks
Four Locks – locks 47 through 50 – were built between 1836 and 1838, all within a half-mile stretch of the canal. Nestled amongst these four locks, a close-knit community thrived while the canal was in operation. Businesses prospered, . . . — Map (db m36716) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Spring — Lancelot Jacques
On Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56) at McCoys Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east on Big Pool Road.
A French Hugenot who in partnership with Thomas Johnson in 1768 built "Green Spring Furnace." He and Johnson dissolved partnership in 1776 when Johnson became first governor of Maryland. Jacques' house built about 1766. — Map (db m47120) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonesboro — The Maryland Campaign of 1862
On Reno Monument Road at the Appalachian Trail, on the left when traveling west on Reno Monument Road.
On September 4, 1862, General Robert E. Lee, hoping to shorten the war by winning a decisive victory on Northern soil, crossed the Potomac River into Maryland. Lee planned to draw the Army of the Potomac through South Mountain into Pennsylvania and . . . — Map (db m2041) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — “Crampton’s Gap” “Maryland Heights” and “Pleasant Valley”
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) at Rohrersville Road (Maryland Route 67) on Old National Pike.
Important points during the first invasion of Maryland by the Army of the Confederacy in 1862. — Map (db m1879) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Battle of BoonsboroBuying Time — Gettysburg Campaign —
On Old National Road (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart faced a difficult assignment: to locate the Union cavalry and prevent it from severing Gen. Robert E. Lee’s avenue of retreat to Williamsport and the Potomac River after the Battle of Gettysburg. The result was the . . . — Map (db m1630) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — BoonsboroLee's Headquarters — Antietam Campaign 1862 —
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) 1.2 miles east of Gilardi Road, on the right when traveling east.
After Gen. Robert E. Lee issued Special Order 191 near Frederick dividing the Army of Northern Virginia into four columns, Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s command marched across South Mountain on September 10, 1862. His column . . . — Map (db m122154) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Cannon of Revolutionary War
On Park Drive, on the right when traveling east.
(War of American Independence) 1775–1783 forged Mount Aetna, Maryland Dedicated July 4, 1906 Rededicated July 5, 1992 Charles F. Kauffman, Jr. Mayor, Town of Boonsboro Robert J. Shifler, Assistant Mayor • Kevin M. Chambers, Councilman • . . . — Map (db m2005) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Deaths of Two Generals“Hallo, Sam, I’m dead!” — Antietam Campaign 1862 —
On Reno Monument Road near the Appalachian Trail, on the left when traveling west.
The fight for Fox’s Gap on September 14, 1862, claimed the lives of two generals, one from each side. Confederate Gen. Samuel Garland, a Lynchburg, Virginia native, attended the Virginia Military Institute at Lexington and later obtained his law . . . — Map (db m455) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) at Orchard Drive / Shafer Park Road, on the right when traveling east on Old National Pike.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m1913) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Gettysburg CampaignThe Battle of Boonsboro
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north.
Two U.S. Cavalry divisions repulsed five rebel cavalry brigades in a day-long fight north of Boonsboro on July 8, 1863. The South Mountain passes remained open to the Federal Army in pursuit of the Confederates retreating from Gettyburg via . . . — Map (db m7008) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Gravesite of William Boone
On Potomac Street.
Gravesites of William Boone, d. 1798 and his wife Susanna Parks Boone, b. 1755 - d. 1844 William and his brother, George, founded Boone's Berry, now known as Boonsboro, in 1792 The graves are located near the original Boone . . . — Map (db m107565) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Maj. Gen. Jesse L. Reno
On Reno Monument Road at the Appalachian Trail, on the left when traveling west on Reno Monument Road.
(front) 9th Army Corps. September 14, 1862. Reno. (west side) This monument marks the spot where Major Gen. Jesse Lee Reno, commanding 9th Army Corps U.S. Vol’s, was killed in battle Sept. 14, 1862. (south . . . — Map (db m389) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Near Here in Wise’s Field
On Reno Monument Road at the Appalachian Trail, on the left when traveling west on Reno Monument Road.
Near here in Wise's field on the morning of Sept. 14, 1862, Brigadier General Samuel Garland, Jr. C.S.A. of Lynchburg, Virginia fell mortally wounded while leading his men. — Map (db m429) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — North Carolina
Near South Mountain Natural Environmental Area Service, on the right when traveling south.
(Front Side): In Memory of the North Carolinians who fought at or near here September 14, 1862. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 20th, 23rd, 30th Infantry and Manly's and Reilly's Battery, 1st NC Artillery. General . . . — Map (db m4325) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Roxbury Mills Bridge
On Roxbury Road, on the right when traveling south.
This bridge was built in 1824, in close proximity to Roxbury Mills, an early sawmill and later a large distillery complex which operated into the 20th century. A three-arch bridge over the Antietam, it was one of a series of bridges built for the . . . — Map (db m5036) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — St. Mark's Episcopal ChurchRefuge for the "sick and wounded"
Near Lappans Road, on the right when traveling east.
St. Mark's Episcopal Church is located just six miles north of Sharpsburg, site of the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, the bloodiest one-day battle in American history. With approximately 23,000 Americans on both sides killed, wounded, or . . . — Map (db m103404) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Stonewall Jackson's Way
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) at Lappans Road (Maryland Route 68), on the left when traveling west on Old National Pike.
Under Special Order 191, Maj. Gen Thomas J. Jackson led Confederate troops from Frederick to capture Harper's Ferry. On Sept. 11, 1862, Jackson's Second Corps moved by this road from its encampment near Boonsborough to cross the Potomac at . . . — Map (db m3912) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — S580C — Stonewall Regiment
On Reno Monument Road at the Appalachian Trail, on the right when traveling west on Reno Monument Road.
More than 90,000 Michigan men served in the Union Army and Navy during the Civil War. The 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment was mustered at the Detroit Barracks in August 1862 under the command of Colonel William H. Withington. The regiment . . . — Map (db m398) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Battle for Fox’s Gap“Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” — Antietam Campaign 1862 —
On Reno Monument Road at the Appalachian Trail, on the left when traveling west on Reno Monument Road.
As Confederate Gen. D.H. Hill’s division struggled to hold the gaps of South Mountain on September 14, 1862, the fighting here at Fox’s Gap raged throughout the day. About 9 a.m., Gen. Jesse L. Reno’s corps attacked Confederate Gen. Samuel Garland’s . . . — Map (db m454) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg
On South Main Street (Alternate U.S. 40) west of Rohresville Road (Maryland Route 67), on the right when traveling west.
The bloodiest conflict of the War Between the States occurred September 17, 1862, a few miles from this point (Turn ← in the center of Boonsboro). — Map (db m456) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Boys from Boonsboro DistrictWorld War: 1914 - 1918
On N. Main Street (Old National Pike) (U.S. 40) just west of Potomac Street (Shepherdstown Pike) (Maryland Route 34), on the right when traveling west.
[Street side]: [Emblem of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics] Erected in honor of the boys from Boonsboro District by South Mountain Council No. 88, Jr. O.U.A.M. and Citizens of the community. July 4th, 1919. . . . — Map (db m16491) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Dahlgren Chapel
On Historic National Road (Alternate U.S. 40) at Dahlgren Road, on the right when traveling west on Historic National Road.
This chapel was built around 1881 by Madeline Vinton Dahlgren, widow of Admiral John A. Dahlgren, USN, inventor of the Dahlgren gun, the armament used by the USS Monitor against the CSS Virginia, formerly the steam frigate USS Merrimack. — Map (db m1297) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Lost Orders
On Reno Monument Road at the Appalachian Trail, on the left when traveling west on Reno Monument Road.
No other document of the Civil War has generated so much controversy as Lee's Special Orders No. 191. These “Lost Orders” detailed the movements of Lee's army for the operation against Harpers Ferry. On September 9 Lee sent copies of the . . . — Map (db m2042) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) at Orchard Drive / Shafer Park Road, on the right when traveling east on Old National Pike.
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m1911) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Town of BoonsboroMaryland uses Macadam to Complete the National Road — The Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation —
On North Main Street / Old National Road (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
The National Road from Baltimore to Cumberland was comprised of a series of privately funded turnpikes. By 1822, the road was complete except for the ten miles between Boonsboro and Hagerstown. In August of the year, under pressure from the state . . . — Map (db m1162) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Washington MonumentSignal Station — Antietam Campaign 1862 —
On North Main Street / Old National Road (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
During the Antietam Campaign, the U.S. Signal Corps used the stone structure in front of you and to your left as a signal station. On July 4, 1827, citizens of the town of Boonsboro paraded to the top of the mountain here and began building this . . . — Map (db m1161) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Brownsville — Battle of Maryland HeightsMaryland's First Civil War Battle — Antietam Campaign 1862 —
On Rohrersville Road (State Highway 67), on the right when traveling north.
(Preface): After Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's smashing victory over Union Gen. John Pope at the Second Battle of Manassas, Lee decided to invade the North to reap the fall harvest, gain Confederate recruits, earn foreign recognition, and . . . — Map (db m59630) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Brownsville — Brownsville-Burkittsville Pass
On Boteler Road at Brownsville Pass Road, on the left when traveling south on Boteler Road.
Marching from Middletown to seize Maryland Heights, McLaws’ and Anderson’s Confederate Divisions crossed South Mountain by this road September 11, 1862. On September 14th Manley’s N.C. Battery and elements of Semmes’ Brigade defended the pass and . . . — Map (db m2068) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Brownsville — St. Luke’s Episcopal ChurchBrownsville, Maryland — Founded 1837 —
On Boteler Road, on the right when traveling south.
During the civil war, St. Luke’s served as headquarters for General Lafayette McLaws, who’s troops from the Army of Northern Virginia were bivouacked around Brownsville, September 11, 1862. It served as a hospital for his wounded following the . . . — Map (db m2072) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Cascade — War Returns to South MountainBattle of Monterey Pass — Gettysburg Campaign —
Near PenMar - High Rock Road, on the right when traveling south.
(Preface):After a stunning victory at Chancellorsville in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee led the Army of Northern Virginia through Maryland into Pennsylvania, marching next to threaten Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. . . . — Map (db m31048) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Cearfoss — Crossing the Mason and DixonPennsylvania, at Last! — Gettysburg Campaign —
On Fairview Road (County Route 494) at Greencastle Pike (Maryland Road 63), on the right when traveling east on Fairview Road.
Four thousands of Confederates in Gen. Robert E. Lee's invasion of the North in 1863, the rate of march exceeded thirty miles a day. Since this part of Maryland is so narrow, splashing across the Potomac River in the morning and crossing the Mason . . . — Map (db m11608) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Cearfoss — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Fairview Road (County Route 494) at Greencastle Pike (Maryland Road 63), on the right when traveling east on Fairview Road.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m11609) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Cearfoss — Mason and Dixon Line105th Mile Stone
On Greencastle Pike (State Highway 63) at Mason - Dixon Road (County Route 163), on the right when traveling north on Greencastle Pike.
500 feet beyond this point, on private property, this stone is located. It bears the coat of arms of Lord Baltimore and William Penn. the 104th mile stone and the 103rd mile stone bear the letters M and P Maryland-Pennsylvania and are located along . . . — Map (db m11610) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Sping — Clear Spring Veterans Memorial
On Big Spring Road.
This memorial is dedicated to all those who have served honorably in the armed forces of the United States of America. The citizens of Clear Spring, Maryland area thank you and your families for your service and sacrifice. — Map (db m67350) WM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — “The Bank Road”(The Cumberland Turnpike Road)
On National Pike (U.S. 40) 0.7 miles west of Wilson Bridge Park Lane, on the right when traveling west.
The portion of this highway from the west end of the Conococheague bridge to Cumberland (40 miles) was built between 1816 and 1821. The banks of Maryland financed it by purchase of the stock. — Map (db m699) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — A Road Nurtures A VisionThe Historic National Road and Clear Spring — The Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation —
On Cumberland Street (U.S. 40) at Mill Street (Maryland Route 68), on the right when traveling west on Cumberland Street.
“The citizens at all times aim to be surpassed by no other town in the County.” –Martin Lehr, Clear Spring historian, 1890’s. In 1821, Martin Myers chose a site that straddled a “clear spring” at the foot . . . — Map (db m694) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Capt. Samuel G. Prather
On National Pike (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.
(North face): In memory of Capt. Samuel G. Prather. Who raised and commanded the 2nd Co. of the Potomac Home Brigade Maryland (Vols.) in Great Rebellion of 1861 against the only Free Government on the earth and died at his post of duty . . . — Map (db m25140) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Clear Spring
On Cumberland Street (U.S. 40) east of Martin Street, on the left when traveling west.
The spring from which the Town of Clear Spring acquired its name. — Map (db m693) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Dam No. 5
On Dam Number 5 Road 2.9 miles south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the left when traveling east.
From December 17 to 20, 1861, Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson attempted to halt traffic on the canal by diverting the river around the Virginia abutment of Dam No. 5. Damage was slight and repairs were effected within two days. — Map (db m122840) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Fort FrederickMaryland State Park
On Cumberland Street (U.S. 40) at Martin Street, on the right when traveling west on Cumberland Street.
Colonial stone fort built 1756 for Province of Maryland by Gov. Horatio Sharpe to protect frontier against French and Indians after Braddock’s defeat. Detention camp for British prisoners 1776–83. Occupied 1861–2 by Union troops. George . . . — Map (db m680) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Fort Mills
On Historic National Road (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west.
One of the four stockade forts erected in 1756 along the North Mount Road as supports for Fort Frederick in preventing the Indians from descending upon the inhabitants living in the Cumberland Valley. — Map (db m5930) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Gen. J. E. B. Stuart’s
On National Pike (U.S. 40) at Cove Road, on the right when traveling west on National Pike.
Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry on his raid around the Federal army, Oct. 19, 1862, crossed the National Road here after crossing the Potomac River at McCoy’s Ferry three miles south of this point. — Map (db m682) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Cumberland Street (U.S. 40) at Mill Street (Maryland Route 68), on the right when traveling west on Cumberland Street.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m695) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On National Pike (US 40).
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m60555) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — McCoy's Ferry
On McCoys Ferry Road 1 mile south of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56), on the left when traveling south.
On May 23, 1861 Confederates attempting to capture the ferry boat at McCoy's Landing were driven off by the Clear Spring Guard. Here on October 10, 1862, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart crossed the Potomac on his second ride around McClellan's army. — Map (db m3914) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy FactorySurreys, Stagecoaches and Tin Lizzies
On National Pike (U.S. 40).
The Miller Hotel was one of the most popular destinations along the National Road in Washington County. Traveler T.B. Seabright recalled in 1894 “There were large rooms adapted to dancing purposes, and young men and maidens of the vicinity . . . — Map (db m60556) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Protecting Cultural Resources
On Dam No. 5 Road, on the left when traveling west.
Floods occur at regular intervals in the Potomac Valley. Between 1829 and 1998 there have been 144 recorded floods or high water occurrences. repairing flood damage was a continuing battle for the C&O Canal Company and is still a problem for the . . . — Map (db m25142) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Stonewall Jackson at Dam 5
On Dam 5 Road, on the left when traveling west.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Maryland became a border between the Confederacy and the Union. The Confederacy knew that the canal and railroad were important Union supply lines. Stonewall Jackson’s Brigade made several attempts to destroy Dam 5 . . . — Map (db m23561) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — The Federal Signal Station
Near Historic National Road, on the left when traveling west.
near this point was captured Oct. 10, 1862 by a detachment of Gen. J. E. B. Stuart's Cavalry. On clear days this station could communicate with stations on South Mountain which relayed messages via Catoctin Mt. to Sugar Loaf Mt. to Washington, D.C. — Map (db m5588) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — Vital CrossroadsClear Springs in the Civil War
On Broadfording Road.
This was a lively Unionist community on the important National Road during the war. In nearby Four Locks on January 31, 1861, local residents raised a 113-foot-high “Union Pole” with a streamer proclaiming the “Union . . . — Map (db m60553) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Springs — Wilson’s StoreStore of Three Wonders
On Rufus Wilson Road, on the right when traveling west.
"You wonder if we have it. We wonder where it is. You wonder how we found it!” That is how Janice Keefer remembered her father’s store during the 42 years that Dorsey Martin conducted business here. Originally opened by Rufus Wilson in 1850, . . . — Map (db m4932) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Conococheague — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Rufus Wilson Road, on the right when traveling west.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m5925) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Fort Ritchie — D-Day Anniversary
On Castle Drive, on the left when traveling north.
On this day, June 6, in the year 1944 allied forces invaded Normandy - the most massive invasion attempt in history. By nightfall, they had liberated 80 miles of French soil and a toehold for the consequential drive into Germany was established. . . . — Map (db m103019) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Fort Ritchie — Military Intelligence Training Center
On Boyd Street at Barrick Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Boyd Street.
In the early days of World War II, Camp Ritchie, then a National Guard training camp, was taken over by the federal government. A Military Intelligence Training Center was established to train intelligence units. A tight wall of security was drawn . . . — Map (db m103022) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Fort Ritchie — Robert F. Barrick Memorial Library
On Barrick Avenue at Boyd Street, on the right when traveling west on Barrick Avenue.
Robert Frederick Barrick entered the military service in 1909 as a private in the Maryland National Guard in Frederick, Maryland. He was commissioned in 1917. In 1926, he was given the task of building a Maryland National Guard training camp on a . . . — Map (db m103021) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Fort Ritchie — The Ice Lakes
Near Lake Royer Drive.
Until the mid-1920s, the Buena Vista Ice Company of Germantown (now Cascade), Maryland, was located on this site for the harvesting of natural ice used to preserve produce and dairy products during shipment. It was one of the southernmost operations . . . — Map (db m103023) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Fort Ritchie — WW II Veterans Memorial
On Castle Drive, on the left when traveling north.
This monument and a memorial woods are set aside to forever preserve the memory of the 7900 Washington County World War II veterans, 228 of whom gave their lives for the good of their country. Dedicated this 11th day of November, 2004. Historical . . . — Map (db m103020) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Baltimore StreetFunkstown’s Link to the Chesapeake
On Baltimore Street (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west.
When the National Road was completed through Funkstown in 1823, a rush of “stagecoaches and wagon teams, droves of cattle, teamsters and travelers” flooded through the town. Although Baltimore was seventy miles to the east, the Funkstown . . . — Map (db m2007) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Battle of FunkstownJuly 10, 1863
On Old National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40) at Green Street, on the left when traveling west on Old National Pike.
After Gettysburg, in order to mask entrenching operations along the Potomac river by General R. E. Lee, Confederate troops, led by General J.E.B. Stuart, engaged Union forces under General John Buford. The day-long battle east of the road resulted . . . — Map (db m388) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Battle of FunkstownAt Bay another Day — Gettysburg Campaign —
On Old National Road (U.S. Alt 40), on the right when traveling south.
The Confederate presence at Funkstown threatened any Union advance against Gen. Robert E. Lee’s position near Williamsport and the Potomac River as he retreated to Virginia after the Battle of Gettysburg. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry, posted at . . . — Map (db m1158) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Building the Funkstown Bridge
On North Westside Avenue / Old National Road (Alternate U.S. 40), on the left.
“The turnpike bridge at Funkstown is the only one...which seems to belong to a town” —Helen Ashe Hays, The Antietam and its Bridges This bridge, finished in 1823, is perhaps the oldest one over Antietam Creek. . . . — Map (db m2010) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Civil War Hospital SiteAngela Kirkham Davis House
On Baltimore Street (Alternate U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west.
Civil War Hospital Site Angela Kirkham Davis House Was used as a hospital during The Maryland Campaign 1862 Private Property courtesy of S.H.A.F. — Map (db m2008) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Claggett’s Millrace Bridge
On Poffenberger Road, on the left when traveling west.
Although it vaults only a millrace deflected from Antietam Creek proper, this small but well-designed one-arch bridge is typical of many others that have not survived at mill sites in the county. It is not certain that John Weaver built this 53' . . . — Map (db m5669) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Claggett's Mill Bridge
On Poffenberger Road, on the left when traveling west.
This three-arch bridge over Antietam Creek was completed by John Weaver in 1840 for $2,800. It was near the mill operated for generations by the Claggett family. The house, barn, and outbuildings of the Claggett estate, "Valentia," stand nearby. . . . — Map (db m5031) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Funkstown Bridge No. 2
On West Baltimore Street / Oak Ridge Drive, on the right when traveling west.
This bridge over Antietam Creek at Funkstown was built in 1833 by George Weaver for $1,800. At this site was Shafer’s Mill where flour was ground. The most notable feature of this bridge is the graduated size of its three arches, growing larger from . . . — Map (db m2009) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Funkstown Veterans Memorial
On North Westside Avenue (Alternate U.S. 40) just south of West Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling north.
In honor of all who served their country in time of need World War I April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 World War II December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 Korean War June 25, 1950 to January 31, . . . — Map (db m139133) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Keller Home
On Baltimore Street (Alternate U.S. 40) at High Street, on the right when traveling west on Baltimore Street.
Used to treat Confederate officer H.D. McDaniel 11th GA. Regt. during the battle of Funkstown July 10, 1863, who suffered a severe wound and was brought to this house. He survived to later become governor of Georgia. — Map (db m2006) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — M3A1 Light Tank"Stuart"
On West Baltimore Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
Crew: 4 men - commander, loader, gunner, driver Weight: 28,500 lbs. Max Speed: 36 mph Cruising Range: 70 miles (road) 135 miles (with drop tanks) Weapons System: M6 37mm main gun M1919A4 .30 caliber flexible on turret M1919A4 .30 caliber . . . — Map (db m25453) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Rose's Mill Bridge
On Garis Shop Road, on the right when traveling west.
This handsome three-arch bridge over Antietam Creek was constructed by John Weaver in 1839 and was specially adapted to the grain mill which was built at the same time. The westernmost of the three arches was designed to accommodate the millrace . . . — Map (db m4930) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — This Plot is Dedicated to Public Use
On Frederick Road (Alternate U.S. 40) at Baltimore Street (Alternate U.S. 40) on Frederick Road.
By the citizens of the Funkstown District in grateful appreciation of the services of those of her citizens who were engaged with the military, navy and marine forces of the United States in the World War. 1914-1918 E. Blanche Hoffmaster, Army . . . — Map (db m6539) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Gapland — “Crampton Gap”
On Rohrersville Road (Maryland Route 67) at Gapland Road, on the left when traveling south on Rohrersville Road.
An important part of the Battle of South Mountain was fought here September 14-15, 1862, when the Federal forces pressed the Confederate troops back into Pleasant Valley and on to Sharpsburg — Map (db m3901) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Gapland — Confederate Retreat
On Gapland Road at Rohrersville Road (Maryland Route 67), on the left when traveling west on Gapland Road.
Driven from Crampton’s Gap on Sept. 14, 1862, by Gen. Franklin’s Sixth Corps, elements of McLaws’ Confederates formed across Pleasant Valley to bar Union advance on Maryland Heights and Harper’s Ferry. Later these Confederates joined Lee about . . . — Map (db m2065) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — A City Divided
On North Potomac Street (State Highway 65) at West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street.
The Hagerstown Mail offices were located on the second floor of this building during the Civil War. Due to the newspaper's pro-Southern columns, the Mail's editor and co-owner, Daniel Dechert, was arrested in 1862 and sent to Old Capitol Prison in . . . — Map (db m20792) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — A City Divided
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.
The Lyceum, a public debating hall constructed circa 1848, stood on this site during the Civil War. Heated debates took place here prior to the Civil War on the state of the Union. Following the Battles of Antietam and Gettysburg, the Lyceum was . . . — Map (db m20847) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Ammon H. Kreider & Lewis E. Reisner
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
The fathers of the Hagerstown aircraft industry, Lewis Reisner and Ammon Kreider formed the Kreider Reisner Aircraft Company in 1923. They developed highly regarded models of civilian use aircraft. In 1929, they sold the company to the Fairchild . . . — Map (db m107148) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Anna Spencer Brugh Singer1878-1962 — Artistic And Business Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Anna Spencer Brugh Singer was born in Hagerstown and married William H. Singer, Jr. in 1895. Together they pursued an artistic life; he as an artist, she as an art collector and musician. They traveled the United States and Europe, befriended many . . . — Map (db m107264) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Antietam Battlefield
On South Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65) 0.1 miles south of Doub Way, on the right when traveling south.
12 miles to Antietam National Battlefield Site, where on Sept. 17, 1862, about 41,000 Confederates under the command of General Robert E. Lee were pitted against 87,000 Federals under General George B. McClellan. — Map (db m1965) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Hagerstown was bypassed in the great race westward between the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The City was left without a rail connection to the south or west. The “Washington County Railroad” was . . . — Map (db m129270) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Band Shell
The original band shell was built in City Park around 1915. It was since dismantled and re-erected in Hagerstown’s Wheaton Park. This structure was built in 1940. It is dedicated to Dr. Peter Buys, the Hagerstown Municipal Band’s conductor from . . . — Map (db m132316) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Bench Mark "A"
On Summit Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
"In October 1877, Bench Mark "A" was cut on the water table of the recently rebuilt courthouse in Hagerstown, Maryland", reads the report of the coast and geodetic survey to President McKinley. This was the beginning point of a . . . — Map (db m6529) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Bloom Park
Near North Potomac Street at East North Avenue.
Bloom Park was one of the very first monuments erected in the United States to honor the veterans of the Spanish-American War (1898-99). It was dedicated on July 4, 1900. The keynote speaker at the ceremony was Henry Kyd Douglas a former Adjutant . . . — Map (db m107396) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Christian Newcomer Home
On National Pike (U.S. 40) 0.2 miles west of Mapleville Road (Maryland Route 66), on the right when traveling south.
Christian Newcomer, 1749-1830, was one of the founders of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, the first American-born denomination. He moved to Washington County in 1775 and in his journal described crossing the Allegany Mountains 38 times . . . — Map (db m129125) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — City Park
Near Virginia Avenue north of City Park Drive, on the right when traveling south.
In the early 19th Century, this area was owned by the Heyser family and was known as “Heyser's Woods”. The mansion house was constructed by John H. Heyser between 1843 and 1846. “Heyser's Woods” became a popular local picnic . . . — Map (db m131934) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Corporal William Othello Wilson
On Jonathan Street at Pennsylvania Avenue on Jonathan Street.
United States Army Medal of Honor Recipient and Buffalo Soldier William Othello Wilson, a native of Hagerstown, Maryland, enlisted in the U.S. Army on August 21, 1889, at age 22 in St. Paul, Minnesota. He was subsequently assigned to the . . . — Map (db m5755) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Crossroads of HistoryRoute 40 & 11 Cross At This Point
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40) at Summit Street, on the right when traveling east on West Washington Street.
In the court house that stood on this site Confederate Gen. John McCausland was given $20,000 in cash and all of the suits, hats, shoes, boots, shirts and socks that could be found as ransom upon his threat to burn Hagerstown in July of 1864. . . . — Map (db m1934) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Edward Mayberry Mobley1825-1906 — Military Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
In 1862 Mobley organized volunteers from Hagerstown to serve in the Civil War, forming Co. A, 7th Maryland Infantry (US). He served as its captain. He was promoted to major in January, 1864 and commanded the regiment in numerous battles. on August . . . — Map (db m107262) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Elliott-Bester House
On South Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65) near East Baltimore Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
Boyhood home of Commodore Jesse D. Elliott, USN, (1872-1845) of Battle of Lake Erie fame during War of 1812. This National Register property preserved in memory of Mrs. Mary B.K. Bowman. — Map (db m46719) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Fighting House to House, Yard to Yard
On East Franklin Street at Renaissance Way aka Cramer Alley, on the right when traveling east on East Franklin Street.
“Several others who were hidden in houses escaped by donning citizen’s clothing, and Private Anitpas H. Curtis (Company D), while so dressed, had the distinction of saluting General Lee in person.” George G. Benedict in “Vermont in . . . — Map (db m139863) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — First Battle of HagerstownVicious Fighting in the Streets — Gettysburg Campaign —
On North Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65), on the right when traveling south.
Combat raged here in the town square and in adjoining city blocks for six hours on Monday, July 6, 1863. Holding Hagerstown was crucial to Gen. Robert E. Lee's retreat to Virginia after the Battle of Gettysburg. If the Confederates lost this . . . — Map (db m6533) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — First Hose Company
On South Potomac Street, on the right when traveling south.
The First Hagerstown Hose Company dates to 1815. Its hand pumper was originally housed in a shed located on the north side of St. John's Lutheran Church, one block to your left. In 1881, the First Hose Company purchased this site and in July, . . . — Map (db m129351) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — For God and CountryMay They Rest In Peace
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.

In loving memory of those who gave their lives in the World Wars 1917-1918 [list of names] 1941-1945 [list of names] In loving memory of those who gave their lives in the Korean Conflict 1950-1953 [list of names] Rededicated . . . — Map (db m6528) WM

Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Gen. Robert E. Lee
On Frederick Street (Historic National Road) (Alternate U.S. 40) near Kenly Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Gen. Robert E. Lee with Longstreet’s Corps entered Hagerstown Sept. 11, 1862 to make it a base for operations in Pennsylvania. On Sept. 14, 1862 this force hastened to the battle of South Mountain and then to the battlefield of Antietam. — Map (db m1156) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On North Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65).
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m6531) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Great Indian Warrior/Trading Path
Near Highland Avenue near Key Street.
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m797) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hager House and Museum
On Key Street at Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Key Street.
When German immigrant and founder of Hagerstown, Jonathan Hager, arrived in this country in 1736, western Maryland area was frontier. Maryland’s colonial governor was offering cheap land to those willing to settle here. In 1739, Hager obtained . . . — Map (db m1160) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hager MillHeart of the Civil War Heritage Area
On Mill Street east of Frederick Street (Alternate U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.
Hager Mill was constructed in 1790 by Daniel Stull and Colonel Nathaniel Rochester and the nearby miller's house has a date stone inscribed 1791. Prior to the Civil War, it was owned by the Hager Family. During the war, Andrew Hager operated this . . . — Map (db m106780) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hager’s Fancy(Circa 1740)
On Key Street at Highland Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Key Street.
Third dwelling was built by Jonathan Hager, founder of Hagerstown Maryland, 1762; Captain of Scouts, French and Indian War, 1755–1763; member of the Non-Importation Association and of the Committees of Safety and of Observation, 1775; member . . . — Map (db m1159) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians In The Civil WarBrevet Brigadier General George Bell, USA 1828 - 1907
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40) near South Prospect Street, on the right when traveling west.
George Bell was the son of William Duffield Bell, developer of South Prospect Street and editor of the Hagerstown Torchlight newspaper. He grew up in this neighborhood. An 1853 graduate of West Point, Bell served at several posts in . . . — Map (db m44835) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians In The Civil WarCongressman James Dixon Roman 1809-1867
On West Washington Street (Maryland Route 40), on the left when traveling east.
This building was Congressman Roman's home from the time he purchased it in 1845 until his death in 1867. A prominent member of the Whig Party, Roman was elected to the House of Representatives during the 30th Congress (1847-1849). He declined . . . — Map (db m45185) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians in the Civil WarGovernor William T. Hamilton, 1820-1888
On North Prospect Street.
William T. Hamilton was born in Boonsboro. He attended the Hagerstown Academy and Jefferson College in Pennsylvania. Hamilton passed the bar in 1845 and opened a law practice in Hagerstown. After serving one year in the Maryland Legislature, he was . . . — Map (db m60558) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians in the Civil WarMargaret Greenawalt, 1824-1911 Catharine Bonebrake Bowman, 1821-1902
On West Washington Street, on the right when traveling east.
Many communities in this region boast of stories similar to Frederick's Barbara Fritchie or Middletown's Nancy Crouse, who defied the Confederates during their invasions of Maryland. Hagerstown is no exception. Although the specific date of . . . — Map (db m107235) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians in the Civil WarDr. John Absalom Wroe, 1817-1874
On South Prospect Street at Library Alley, on the right when traveling south on South Prospect Street.
This home was constructed around 1838. During the Civil War, it was the home of Dr. John Absalom Wroe and his family. A native of Virginia, Wroe helped to treat wounded Confederate and union soldiers who were left in the City when the rebel army . . . — Map (db m107241) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians in the Civil WarColonel Henry Kyd Douglas, CSA 1838-1903
On North Potomac Street at West North Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street.
Douglas was raised at Ferry Hill Place, on the Maryland side of the Potomac River at Shepherdstown. In 1861, he enlisted in the 2nd Virginia Infantry and fought in the Battle of First Manassas. From April to October, 1862, Douglas was the youngest . . . — Map (db m107394) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians in the Civil WarThe Rebels MacGill
On South Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65 Frontage Road), on the right when traveling south.
A local doctor and father of 11, Charles MacGill (1806-1881) was a co-founder of the Hagerstown Herald and was a major general in the Maryland Militia. On September 30, 1861, Union troops came to his home to arrest him “on the authority . . . — Map (db m129169) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — HagerstownBringing Farm Products to Maryland's Great Valley
On North Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65), on the left when traveling south.
Following Jonathan Hager’s arrival in 1739, German and Scots-Irish immigrants settled in Maryland’s Great Valley, developing prosperous farms. By the mid 1790’s, agriculture was booming and the region needed a way to get its products to market. . . . — Map (db m6532) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstown Female Seminary
On East Baltimore Street (U.S. Alt 40) at King Street, on the right when traveling west on East Baltimore Street.
The Hagerstown Female seminary, a women’s college founded by the Evangelical Lutheran Church, opened its doors in 1853. Its name was changed in the 1890s to Kee Mar College, and operated at this location until 1911 when the campus was sold to the . . . — Map (db m129316) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstown Railway
On Summit Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The only trolley system to operate in Washington County was started with the creation of the Hagerstown Railway in 1896. It consisted of a loop around the outer edges of town, and crossing lines that ran north-south on Potomac Street and east-west . . . — Map (db m131874) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstown Ransomed
On North Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65) at West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling south on North Potomac Street.
On July 6th, 1864, Confederate Cavalry General John McCausland and his 1,500 troops demanded a ransom of $20,000 from Hagerstown, or the town would be burned. Three local banks gave up the money, underwritten by the town council. After the war, a . . . — Map (db m6530) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Henry Kyd Douglas1838 - 1903 — Military And Literary Figure —
On West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street, on the right when traveling west on West Memorial Boulevard.
An officer in the Confederate army, Douglas served with distinction on the small personal staff of General “Stonewall” Jackson during the Valley Campaign (1862) which made Jackson a legend in military history. Wounded six times, Douglas . . . — Map (db m107553) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — In Memory Of1898-1902
On North Avenue at Potomac Street (Maryland Route 60), on the right when traveling east on North Avenue.
In memory of the the men from Washington County Maryland who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during the war with Spain, the China Relief Expedition and the Philippine Insurrection. — Map (db m8139) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Jacob Francis Wheaton1835-1924 — Civil Rights And Education Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Jacob Wheaton was born in Middletown, Maryland and moved to Hagerstown in the 1850s. he is believed to be the first African-American to vote in Maryland after the civil war for casting h1s vote in the Hagerstown Mayoral Election of 1868. In 1897, he . . . — Map (db m107266) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Jacob Wheaton1835-1924
On South Potomac Avenue (Maryland Route 65), on the right when traveling north.
Raised in Middletown in Frederick County, Wheaton had a prominent role in the post-civil war civic involvement of African Americans in the state. Contemporary accounts credit Wheaton as the first African American in Maryland to vote when he . . . — Map (db m107361) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Jesse Duncan Elliott1782 - 1845 — Military Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Elliott was born in Hagerstown and raised on South Potomac Street. He entered the U.S. Navy in 1804 and rose to the rank of Commodore. He served in the Tripolitan War (1804 -1807) and the events between the American and British navies that led to . . . — Map (db m107147) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — John Brown
On West Washington Street, on the left when traveling east.
The Washington House Hotel was a major stop on the National Pike and served as a hospital at times throughout the Civil War. Prior to organizing his raid on the Federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry, John Brown registered under the assumed name of "I. . . . — Map (db m20846) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — John D. Zentmyer
On Mealey Parkway at Potomac Avenue (Maryland Route 60), on the right when traveling east on Mealey Parkway.
Principal Hagerstown High School 1926-1946 Educator of youth for thirty-eight years. Leader in character building & academic excellence. Thousands, young & old, benefited by his example & guidance. Memorial erected by students & friends of . . . — Map (db m6526) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — John V. Jamison, Sr. and John V. Jamison Jr.
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
In 1906, J. V. Jamison, Sr. and two partners founded the Jones Cold Store Door Company. He soon bought his partners' interest. Over five decades, he and his son, J. V. Jamison, Jr. grew the company (renamed the Jamison Cold Storage Door Company) . . . — Map (db m107056) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Jonathan Hager1714 1775
On N. Potomac Street (Maryland Route 60) at East Avenue, on the right when traveling south on N. Potomac Street.
Founder of Hagerstown. Co-founder of this church. Buried west of main building. — Map (db m8138) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Jonathan Hager1714 -1775 — Business And Industry Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Jonathan Hager was the founder of the City of Hagerstown. He was born in Germany and immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1736. In 1739, he purchased 200 acres of land in what is now the western part of Hagerstown and engaged in numerous business ventures. . . . — Map (db m107144) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Jonathan Hager HouseCirca 1740
On South Walnut Street near Key Street, on the right when traveling south.
October 16, 1739, Jonathan Hager took up “Hager’s Fancy” 200 acres in the valley of Antietam Creek. A year later he married Elizabeth Kershner for whom Elizabeth-Town (Hagerstown) was named and established his home here. In 1944 it was . . . — Map (db m1157) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Mary Lemist Titcomb1857 - 1932 — Education And Business Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Titcomb began her career in library science in Concord, Massachusetts. in 1901, she became the first director of the newly-created Washington county free library on Summit Avenue. She served for over 30 years. Titcomb was an innovator in county-wide . . . — Map (db m107092) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Mary TitcombA Leader in Learning
Near Summit Avenue.
Mary Titcomb was the first librarian to lead the Washington County Free Library, the first county library chartered in the United States. She was dedicated to seeing that the library was accessible beyond the county seat, so she developed the first . . . — Map (db m131909) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Mason and Dixon Line100th Mile Stone
On Marsh Road 0 miles east of Marsh Pike, on the right when traveling east.
Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary line. Surveyed and marked 1763-68 by two English astronomers, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon. This is one of the "Crown" stones, set every five miles displaying the coat of arms of Lord Baltimore on south and Penns . . . — Map (db m6107) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Matthias Peter Möller1854 - 1937 — Business And Industry Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Möller was the founder of some of the most successful businesses in Hagerstown's history. He moved his organ factory to Hagerstown in 1881 and it grew to become the largest in the world. it produced over 11,000 instruments before closing in 1992. in . . . — Map (db m107055) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Maurice Edward Frock1899-1918
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
Frock enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1916. During World War I, he served in France with the 5th Marine Regiment. In June, 1918, he was detached from his company to serve at battalion headquarters. Frock earned two silver star medals for . . . — Map (db m107259) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Military Occupation
On North Potomac Street (State Highway 65) at Franklin Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street.
The Independent Junior Fire Company was formed in 1842. Their firehouse was constructed in 1852 and altered in 1881. During the Civil War, the Juniors' firehouse was used by the U.S. Army for various purposes and served as a field hospital to treat . . . — Map (db m20768) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — MillingGrist to the Mill
Near West Baltimore Street.
Before it was transformed into the Mural of Unusual Size, this industrial building operated one of the largest milling institutions in Western Maryland. The operations were so extensive, the mill consumed more grain than the community could produce. . . . — Map (db m107939) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Mount ProspectNathanial Rochester House
On South Prospect Street near West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south.
This is the original site of "Mount Prospect," also known as "The Rochester House." Nathanial Rochester built the house in 1789 on ground which once belonged to Jonathan Hager, the founder of Hagerstown. The home was used as a "way station" during . . . — Map (db m20852) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Mt. Aetna Cannon
On Key Street near Museum Drive ( Highland Avenue).
 Mt. Aetna Furnace, at which this cannon was cast in 1776, was located one mile west along Mt. Aetna Road from its predecessor Antietam furnace which was along Mt. Lena Road. Numerous records from the Revolutionary period describe the . . . — Map (db m45455) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Old Forge Bridge
On Old Forge Road, on the right when traveling east.
This three-arch bridge was erected at a cost $2,800 by W. H. Eirely in 1863 over a ford in Antietam Creek. The east arch of this bridge spans a path once used for cattle. A forge, part of a large ironworks operation owned by the Hughes brothers, was . . . — Map (db m6521) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Old Forge Farm
On Old Forge Road.
The main block of this house was built in 1762 by Ceorge French. In 1764, it was purchaed by the Hughes family and was Daniel Hughes' home until his death in 1818. He added the wing to the east. Hughes and his borther Samuel were iron manufacturers . . . — Map (db m6535) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — One of Lee’s Ammunition Trains
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 11) at Bower Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Virginia Avenue.
One of Lee’s ammunition trains was captured here Sept. 15, 1862 by 1200 Federal cavalry under Col. B. F. Davis, escaping from Gen. T. J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s capture of Harpers Ferry. This loss was felt by the Confederate army at the . . . — Map (db m386) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Our Journey Transports Us Through Time

"This sculpture is very significant to me. It depicts the importance of transportation to the history of my home county. It is made all the more special because it is installed outside my library in Hagerstown, the place where I dreamed and was . . . — Map (db m114375) HM

Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Peter Buys1881 - 1964 — Entertainment Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
An E-flat clarinetist, Peter Buys joined the U.S. Military Academy Band in 1893. He joined John Philip Sousa's band in 1912 and became a protégé and friend of that music icon. In 1917, Buys left the Sousa band to become a band director, but he . . . — Map (db m107095) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Ransom of Hagerstown
On North Potomac Street (State Highway 65) at East Franklin Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north on North Potomac Street.
The existing City Hall was constructed in 1939, replacing the 1818 City Hall on this location. Town Treasurer and City Councilman Matthew Barber negotiated with Confederate General John McCausland regarding the ransom of Hagerstown in 1864. Retreat . . . — Map (db m20767) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Ransom of Hagerstown
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40) at Summit Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Washington Street.
This courthouse was built in 1873, replacing the courthouse that stood at this site during the Civil War. In 1864, Confederate General John McCausland met with town officials and the directors of the Hagerstown Bank in the court clerk's office to . . . — Map (db m20848) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Retreat from Gettysburg
On North Potomac Street (State Highway 65) at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street.
Zion Reformed Church was a stronghold for the Confederates on their retreat from Gettysburg on July 6, 1863. General Robert E. Lee passed through Hagerstown during the Confederate occupation following the Battle of Gettysburg. General George . . . — Map (db m20769) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Retreat from Gettysburg
On South Potomac Street (State Highway 65), on the right when traveling south.
St. John's Lutheran Church was erected in 1795. During the Civil War on July 6, 1863, cavalry of both armies clashed in the streets of Hagerstown from noon until dark. Observers recorded that the streets were full of dead and wounded soldiers and . . . — Map (db m20855) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Rose Hill
On MD 63 Spielman Road 0.4 miles south of Danmar Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Part of an original grant of 10,000 acres known as Conococheague Manor, the mansion house was built early in the 1800's and tradition attributes its design to Benjamin H. Latrobe. It is noted for its Adam woodwork and for its great hall with a . . . — Map (db m7997) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Rose Hill Cemetery
On South Potomac Street (State Highway 65) near Memorial Blvd West, on the right when traveling north.
....North and South Reunited For Eternity Some of the Civil War notables buried here in Rose Hill Include: Mary Landon Mason Alexander (1861-1946)- Second wife of Confederate General Edward Porter Alexander. Bvt. Brigadier . . . — Map (db m44845) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Second Battle of HagerstownCuster Captures the Town — Gettysburg Campaign —
On North Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65), on the right when traveling south.
Six days had passed since the Federals had failed in their first attempt to seize Hagerstown as they pursued Gen. Robert E. Lee's Confederate army retreating to Virginia after the Battle of Gettysburg. On Sunday morning, July 12, 1863, a decisive . . . — Map (db m6534) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Shenandoah Valley Railroad
On West Antietam Street near Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Shenandoah Valley Railroad was chartered in 1870 to connect the Pennsylvania (Cumberland Valley) Railroad at Hagerstown, with Virginia and Tennessee Railroad in Salem, Virginia. The line was connected to this point in 1880. A large . . . — Map (db m45693) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — St. John's Church
On South Prospect Street at West Antietam Street, on the right when traveling south on South Prospect Street.
Construction was begun in August of 1872 with the cornerstone being laid on September 4, 1872. Opening services were held on October 11, 1875. Cruciform in shape and Gothic in style, the structure is made of native blue hammered limestone . . . — Map (db m20861) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — The Cumberland Valley Railroad
On Walnut Street near Washington Street (National Pike) (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.
The first railroad to serve Hagerstown was the Franklin Railroad (F.R.R.). The City of Hagerstown invested $20,000 in this venture. The F.R.R. connected Hagerstown to the Cumberland Valley Railroad (C.V.R.R.) which ran from Chambersburg to . . . — Map (db m45598) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — The Great Hagerstown Fair
On North Mulberry Street north of North Cannon Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
The Agricultural and Mechanical Association of Washington County was chartered in 1856 and began holding annual fairs in "Heyser's Woods" (now City Park) in the years before the Civil War. The fairs were suspended due to the War, but when peace . . . — Map (db m131810) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — The Harmon Hotel
On Jonathan Street.
The Harmon Hotel stood here, one of more than 40 properties owned by Walter Harmon (1869-1915), a local African-American businessman who amassed a fortune in real estate. A McGaheysville, VA native, Harmon had 10 children and 20 grandchildren. Most . . . — Map (db m5675) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — The Last Confederate Incursion North of the Potomac River
On South Potomac Street (State Highway 65), on the right when traveling north.
On July 29, 1864, elements of Cole's Maryland Cavalry (Union) battled Brigadier General John C. Vaughn's cavalry brigade of Early's command for three hours in the streets of Hagerstown. By late afternoon, the Marylanders retreated north to . . . — Map (db m20856) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — The Long Meadow
On Marsh Pike 0.9 miles north of Longmeadow Road, on the right when traveling north.
Originally patented 1739 to Col. Thomas Cresap. Acquired 1746 by Daniel Dulany. Sold 1763 to Col. Henry Bouquet. Left by his will to Col. Haldimand. Acquired 1773 by Gen. Jos. Sprigg. Purchased 1789 by Thos. Hart, partner of Nathaniel Rochester . . . — Map (db m8137) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — The Ransom of Hagerstown
On West Washington Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Hagerstown Bank stood at this site until it was demolished in the mid-1930s. The current Hagerstown Trust Bank is a direct descendant of the Hagerstown Bank. The bank's Board of Directors, led by President James Dixon Rodman, took the lead in . . . — Map (db m20837) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — This Bronze Cannon
On Potomac Street (Maryland Route 60) at North Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Potomac Street.
This bronze cannon was made at Douai France in 1751, by Berenger the great gun manufacturer, for the House of the Bourbons. After many travels and vicissitudes, it was discovered mounted in defence of Fort Morro Santiago, Cuba. Upon the surrender of . . . — Map (db m8140) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Thomas Kennedy1776 - 1832 — Civil Rights Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
An advocate of religious liberty, Thomas Kennedy was born in Scotland and immigrated to America in 1795. He was elected to represent Hagerstown in the Maryland legislature in 1817 and served on a committee tasked with considering removing the . . . — Map (db m107053) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Thomas Kennedy(1776-1832)
On Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65) 0.1 miles south of Memorial Boulevard, on the left when traveling south.
The Maryland Constitution in 1818 maintained religious test requirements that effectively prohibited Jews from being elected to state office. Kennedy, a Scottish Presbyterian immigrant, was elected to the House of Delegates in 1817 from Washington . . . — Map (db m134330) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Treatment of the Wounded
On North Potomac Street (State Highway 65), on the right when traveling south.
Local Physician,Dr. Norman Bruce Scott, attended to Confederate and Federal wounded in the Franklin Hotel, which stood at this site during the Civil War. After the Battles of Antietam and Gettysburg, the military treated the wounded in private . . . — Map (db m20773) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Treatment of the Wounded
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40) at South Prospect Street, on the left when traveling east on West Washington Street.
The Rochester House stood on this site until its demolition in the mid-1950s. During the Civil War, it was the home of Mrs. Frances Howell Kennedy, widow of Dr. Howard Kennedy. From the beginning of the War, Mrs. Kennedy provided food and comfort to . . . — Map (db m20853) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — United States Colored Troops
On Charles Street at Sumans Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Charles Street.
The Robert Moxley Band was a group of African-American musicians, mostly local slaves, who formed a military-style brass band in the years before the Civil War. The band held regular concerts in what is now Jacob Wheaton Park. In 1863 the U.S. . . . — Map (db m107363) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Washington Confederate Cemetery
On South Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65), on the right.
The State of Maryland has provided this cemetery, and erected this monument, to perpetuate the memory of the Confederate dead, who fell in the Battles of Antietam and South Mountain. The State of Virginia, has contributed toward the burial of her . . . — Map (db m12203) HM WM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Washington Confederate Cemetery
On outh Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65), on the right when traveling north.
Immediately after the Civil War, Union casualties in the Frederick-Washington County areas were re-interred at a new National Cemetery at Sharpsburg. Yet no provisions were made to provide decent burial for thousands of hastily-buried . . . — Map (db m44898) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Washington County Courthouse
On West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east.
This is Washington County's third courthouse. When the county was established in 1776, the first courthouse, a combination building that served also as a market house, was built in the middle of the town square, one block east of here. It proved too . . . — Map (db m6094) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Washington County JailFugitive Slaves Detained at the County Jail
On Jonathan Street, on the left when traveling north.
An African American Heritage Report prepared by the Heritage Resources Group for the City of Hagerstown in 2002 identified the following historical incidents which suggest that the Washington County Jail was a significant site of activity along the . . . — Map (db m5676) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Washington County Jail
On Jonathan Street, on the left when traveling north.
The first building used as the Washington Country Jail was a log house at 26-28 E. Franklin Street in Hagerstown. In 1818, the state legislature authorized the county to spend $12,000 to build a new jail. The new jail was built on this site on . . . — Map (db m5677) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — West Baltimore Street
On West Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling east on West Baltimore Street.
The development and use of this area was heavily influenced by the presence of two rail yard areas owned by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and the Western Maryland Railroad. Hood Street was named after John Mifflin Hood, a former Confederate army . . . — Map (db m108046) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — William Othello Wilson1867 - 1928 — Military Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard.
Born and raised in Hagerstown, Wilson enlisted in the 9th U.S. Cavalry (“Buffalo Soldiers”) in 1889. on December 30,1890 (the day after the battle of Wounded Knee), Corporal Wilson was in a party escorting a supply train when they . . . — Map (db m107094) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — William Preston Lane, Jr.1892 - 1967 — Political And Civil Rights Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
William Preston Lane was elected Maryland's attorney general in 1930. When local officials did not act, he personally supervised the investigation of a lynch mob in Somerset county. Although prosecution was unsuccessful, it was the last lynching . . . — Map (db m107093) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — William Thomas Hamilton1820 - 1888 — Political And Business Figure —
Near West Memorial Boulevard at South Potomac Street.
A leading businessman and attorney, Hamilton served on the boards of nearly every major business and public improvement in Hagerstown in the mid-19th century, including efforts to improve the city's streets, water supply and public works. When . . . — Map (db m107146) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Willow Lane Park
On South Potomac Street (Maryland Route 65) near Memorial Blvd West.
The school campus was the location of Willow Lane Park in the early 20th Century. It was here that a stadium was constructed to serve as a home to Hagerstown's "Class D" minor league baseball teams. The teams were part of the "Blue Ridge . . . — Map (db m46024) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Wilson BridgeLink Between East and West
On Baltimore National Pike (U.S. 40) at Stone Bridge Drive, on the right when traveling west on Baltimore National Pike.
Built in 1819, this five-arch structure, named for nearby village, was first stone bridge in Washington County. Erected by Silas Harry at cost of $12,000, it was a major improvement to road system between Baltimore and Cumberland, providing . . . — Map (db m697) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Wilson BridgeStanding the Test of Time — The Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation —
On Wilson Bridge Park Lane west of Baltimore National Pike (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west.
“Keep these bridges in proper repair and they will last as long as any. They have stood many hard knocks for a long time.” —Elmer E. Piper, Washington County Surveyor, 1920s. This graceful, five-arch structure, . . . — Map (db m698) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Zion Evangelical and Reform Church
On North Potomac Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on North Potomac Street.
December, 1770 - A congregation of German-Swiss refugees organized The First German Reformed Church in Elizabeth Town, Canageschik, Fredrich County, Province of Mereland. The first pastor was Jacob Weimer. Land was acquired from Jonathan Hager, Jr. . . . — Map (db m20770) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — “Old Mr. Flint’s” Home
On Western Pike (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west.
George Washington’s diary (while he visited Berkley Springs in 1769) states: “Aug. 30 Old Mr. Flint dined with us” and on Sept. 4: “Rid to the Potomac where my horses were. From thence to Mr. Flint’s and to the Pennsylvania Line, . . . — Map (db m61485) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — A New BeginningWestern Maryland Rail Trail
Near West Main Street (Maryland Route 144) east of Taney Street South, on the right when traveling east.
On this site a pedestrian park was constructed to provide access to Hancock's main street from the Western Maryland Rail Trail and to provide a comfortable rest area for bikers and walkers of the Rail Trail. The park was dedicated on April 11, 1998. . . . — Map (db m96130) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — A Work of ArtChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Near East Main Street at Ford Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Looking at the remaining iron railings and graceful arch of the Tonoloway Aqueduct, it is easy to see why canal company officials referred to the eleven aqueducts along the canal as “works of art.” Built between 1835 and 1839, Aqueduct 7 . . . — Map (db m61165) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Comm. Bruce Clipp
On East Main Street (Maryland Route 144) west of Center Street.
. . . — Map (db m117296) WM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Discover the TrailWestern Maryland Rail Trail
Near West Main Street (Maryland Route 144) east of Taney Street South, on the right when traveling east.
1. Big Pool Junction The Big Pool Train Station was constructed in 1892 to make a connection with the B&O Railroad across the river at Cherry Run, WV. The Western Maryland Railroad was in a boom stage of growth with the 18 miles of rail . . . — Map (db m96129) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Discover the TrailWestern Maryland Rail Trail
Near Canal Street east of Taney Street South, on the left when traveling east.
1. Big Pool Junction The Big Pool Train Station was constructed in 1892 to make a connection with the B&O Railroad across the river at Cherry Run, WV. The Western Maryland Railroad was in a boom stage of growth with the 18 miles of rail . . . — Map (db m96131) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Fort Coombe
On Virginia Avenue at High Street, on the left when traveling north on Virginia Avenue.
Fort Coombe, a Maryland stockaded fort of 1755–56 located north of this point. One of the frontier forts during the French and Indian War. The survey of the Mason and Dixon Line during 1763–68 placed it in Pennsylvania instead of . . . — Map (db m833) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On the eastbound Sideling Hill Rest Area (Interstate 68 at milepost 75), 1.5 miles east of Exit 74, on the right when traveling east.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m718) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On the westbound Sideling Hill Visitors Center (Interstate 68 at milepost 75), 2.7 miles west of Exit 77 (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m719) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
On Church Street south of Main Street (Maryland Route 144), on the left when traveling south.
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m831) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — HancockThe Busiest Village on the Road
On West Main Street (Maryland Route 144), on the left when traveling west.
“After the exhilaration of a gallop down the mountain without breaks, what appetite would not be set on edge, what refinement of palate displeased by venison cutlets, or even ham and eggs?” Harper’s Magazine, 1879 By . . . — Map (db m5931) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — HancockChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historic Park
Near Canal Street at South Pennsylvania Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Situated on the Potomac River at the narrowest point in the state of Maryland the town of Hancock is rich in history. The town is named for Joseph Hancock, Jr., who ferried travelers, traders, and commerce across the Potomac. In 1818, the . . . — Map (db m96126) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — HancockA Canal Town Community — History of the Town —
On North Church Street at Canal Street, on the right when traveling south on North Church Street.
1700’s Hancock is a settlement that was once on the frontier edge of Maryland. Early maps show European settlers here in the 1730s. As an outpost on the frontier, the area known as “Tonoloway Settlement” was subject to . . . — Map (db m96139) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — HancockA Canal Town Community — History of the Town —
On South Pennsylvania Avenue north of Canal Street, on the left when traveling south.
1700’s Hancock is a settlement that was once on the frontier edge of Maryland. Early maps show European settlers here in the 1730s. As an outpost on the frontier, the area known as “Tonoloway Settlement” was subject to . . . — Map (db m96140) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Hancock in the Canal EraChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Near Canal Street at North Church Street.
Construction of the C&O Canal was completed through Hancock by the late 1830s. The network between the coal mines, dealers, merchants, canal company, and tidewater shipping became economically strong. As a result of the increasing prosperity in . . . — Map (db m96128) HM

738 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 538
Paid Advertisement