Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Michigan

1862 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1662
 
Greenbush School Marker (<i>wide view; school building in background</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 24, 2018
Greenbush School Marker (wide view; school building in background)
Michigan (Alcona County), Greenbush — L728 — Greenbush School
Built in 1870, across from the township hall, Greenbush School is one of Alcona County’s pioneer schools. It remained a part of the Alcona County educational system until 1947. The school began with twenty-five students, kindergarten through eighth . . . — Map (db m121967) HM
Michigan (Alcona County), Harrisville — Alcona County Review
The first issue of the Alcona County Review was published on April 27, 1877 by publisher James K. Fairchild. Nine publishers and 140 years later, the Review is the oldest continuously run business in Alcona County. Throughout all of those years, . . . — Map (db m121971) HM
Michigan (Alcona County), Harrisville — Harrisville Depot
In 1883, Russell Alger formed the Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad. In 1895 it was combined with the Alpena and Northern to form the Detroit and Mackinaw Rail Company. In 1900 depot sites were selected at Greenbush and Harrisville. Scheduled . . . — Map (db m121975) HM
Michigan (Alger County), Au Train — S0121 — Lake Superior
Le lac supérieur the French called it, meaning only that geographically it lay above Lake Huron. In size, however, Lake Superior stands above all other freshwater lakes in the world. The intrepid Frenchman Brulé discovered it . . . — Map (db m41968) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — Allegan Civil War Monument
Defenders of our Nation 1861. — 1865. — Map (db m69892) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — S226 — Allegan County
Allegan County's name was coined by the noted student of the Indians, Henry Schoolcraft. The county was set off in 1831 and organized in 1835. Settlement of the county seat, Allegan, was promoted in 1835 by eastern capitalists who were attracted by . . . — Map (db m69891) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — L242 — Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd
On June 15, 1858, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was organized; its parish was admitted into the Diocese of Michigan two years later. Built in 1866-69, this Gothic structure was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd and first used for Divine . . . — Map (db m69890) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — James E. Mahan Park
By resolution of the Allegan City Council, this park is dedicated to the memory of JAMES E. MAHAN, M.D. 1895–1984 Dr. Mahan ministered to the needs of the Allegan area -- both in the personal and public health fields -- from 1931 . . . — Map (db m69900) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — S549A — The Second Street Bridge
This simply ornamented wrought-iron bridge was built in 1886. It replaced an earlier wooden one that had begun to fall into disrepair. Designed by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio, the double-intersection Pratt truss . . . — Map (db m69901) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — Welcome to Allegan"Steamboat Alley"
"MEET ME AT COOK PARK, ALLEGAN, MICHIGAN" The steamer Mildred carried passengers to and from Cook Park until about the time of W.W.I. The park was located at Cady's Grove, about three miles upriver from the dock behind the bank in Allegan, . . . — Map (db m69899) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1801 — Douglas Union School
Side 1 In 1866, faced with the growth of what were then the separate villages of Douglas and Dudleyville, Saugatauk Township Districts No. 3 and 4 merged forming Union District No. 3. The Douglas Union School opened for classes in . . . — Map (db m45325) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — 1341 — Dr. Asa Goodrich House — Michigan Historic Site
Dr. Asa Goodrich House Built in 1872 — Map (db m45469) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1239 — Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas
Dutcher Lodge No. 193 Masons from Douglas, Fennville, and Saugatauk chartered Dutcher Lodge No. 193 on January 19, 1867. From 1867 to 1870 they held meetings in a building owned by Worshipful Master Thomas Dutcher. In 1875, the western . . . — Map (db m45393) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — Mt. Baldhead
Mt. Baldhead is one of Michigan’s tallest dunes. Local Indians used it for their White Dog ceremonial sacrifice. In 1884 it became a park with camping at the foot and observation tower on top. In 1890, the first Fat Mans Club dune climb took place, . . . — Map (db m73645) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1628 — Pier Cove
Surveyed in 1839, the village of Pier Cove was once hailed as "the busiest port between St. Joseph and Muskegon." Before the Civil War, Pier Cove was a bustling community and a major point for lumber distribution, with ships departing daily carrying . . . — Map (db m73498) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — 1472 — Sarah M. Kirby House — Michigan Historic Site
Sarah M. Kirby House Built in 1890 — Map (db m45473) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — The Old School HouseHistory Center and Back-in-Time Garden
The School House opened its doors in 1867, replacing a one-room school nearby. Known then as the Douglas Union School and part of a new public school consolidation movement in Michigan, the school offered classes at all grades—pioneering in . . . — Map (db m73644) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — Welcome to Historic Douglas
On its winding path to Lake Michigan, the Kalamazoo River separates the land of Saugatuck and Douglas. While the north bank pioneer settlements of Saugatuck and Singapore got their start in the 1830's, it was not until the 1850's that the opposite . . . — Map (db m73643) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — L589 — Fifty-Seventh Street Bridge
Spanning the Kalamazoo River, this 422-foot bridge is one of Michigan’s longest pony truss highway bridges, and among the oldest surviving swing bridges in the United States. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the $5,000 structure, . . . — Map (db m73574) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — Ganges Township Civil War Monument
(Front / West Panel) Ganges Volunteers S. Shepherd 2 CAV • U.M. Nichols 2 CAV • Loomis 3 CAV • W. Bicnell 3 CAV • S. Winn 3 CAV • R. Winn 3 CAV • J. Woodin 3 CAV • O.P. Taylor 5 CAV • J.M. Weaver 8 CAV • S.D. Tobey 8 CAV • W. . . . — Map (db m73510) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — New Richmond Historical Timeline
  • 1825 - Trading post established by Louis Campau (a Frenchman) at the mouth of the Rabbit River approximately one mile upstream from what is now New Richmond.
  • 1825 - Mack’s Landing trading post established where Purdy’s Landing is now . . . — Map (db m73571) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — New Richmond History
New Richmond got its start in 1836, when three eastern investors, led by John Allen of Ann Arbor, arranged to found a city here. John Allen, a Virginian by birth, purchased 2240 acres in Allegan County on the north side of the Kalamazoo River just . . . — Map (db m73573) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — The Railroad & New Richmond
The railroad has been a central component of New Richmond’s history from the very beginning. The first railroad bridge crossing the Kalamazoo River at New Richmond was completed in 1871. It was originally built for the Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore . . . — Map (db m73572) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — Welcome to Fennville
The early settlement that eventually became Fennville was established where two log roads crossed at a low place along the town line road between Manlius and Clyde Townships. Early maps show a church and sawmill on the high ground to the west of the . . . — Map (db m73526) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hamilton — L1318 — Oakland Christian Reformed Church
A Dutch settlement known as Oakland sprang up in this area about a decade after the founding of nearby Holland in 1847. Many residents worshipped with the Vriesland and Drenthe congregations until they formed their own churches. One group, North . . . — Map (db m73681) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L77 — Ebenezer Reformed Church
Members of the First Reformed Church in Holland founded this congregation in 1866 to provide a place of worship for the settlers living southeast of town. Heavy immigration from the Netherlands prompted this move. The Dutch language was used . . . — Map (db m73682) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L483 — Graafschap Christian Reformed Church
(Side One) Erected in 1862, this church was the center of the Dutch immigrant community. The first settlers in this area arrived in early 1847 led by the Reverend Albertus C. V. Raalte. In June of that year a separate group of seventy . . . — Map (db m73685) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L1611 — Laketown Township Hall
Laketown Township was settled by Dutch immigrants who arrived in the area in 1847. Originally part of Newark Township, Laketown was set off in 1858 and named for its proximity to Lake Michigan. Officials did not have a meeting hall until 1884 when . . . — Map (db m73641) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L70 — Old Wing Mission
The main portion of this building was the residence of George N. Smith, a Congregational missionary to the Indians in this area and at Waukazoo's Village on nearby Lake Macatawa. The mission was named after an Indian convert. Built in 1844-45 by . . . — Map (db m73683) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — The First Pioneers of Graafschap
In memory of the First Pioneers of Graafschaap of which the following are buried here Lambert Tinholt           1849 Infant Neerken           1850 Geesje Kropschot           1850 Geert Kamps          1850 Roelafje Schrow          1850 . . . — Map (db m73687) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hopkins — Hopkins Township Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Hopkins Township Veterans Lost in Wars Civil War Frederick A. Brewer   6-17-1865 • Darwin E. Calloway    POW • William Everhart    3-28-1863 • Reuben Grommon    6-21-1865 • Reuben Hoffmaster    2-19-1865 • Homer . . . — Map (db m74605) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hopkins — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m74606) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hopkins — Welcome to the Village of HopkinsFrom Hopkinsburg to Hopkins
Jonathan Olin Round built the first log cabin in the area known as Hopkinsburg in 1837. His family came to join him in 1838. Other settlers soon followed. They settled in Hopkinsburg due to the good farmland the creek flowing through, providing . . . — Map (db m74604) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Martin — Early History of MartinMartin was First Settled a Year Before Michigan Became a State
On the 8th day of January, 1836, Mumford Eldred along with his second wife, Jane, and five children, settled on 40 acres in section 29 of Martin Township. The land included a 30 acre clearing on which the northern edge lived a small band of . . . — Map (db m74657) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Martin — Geib Veterans Memorial
We honor these Veterans who gave their lives while serving our Country. Their sacrifice and devotion helped preserve our freedom. William Cornelius - 1862 - Army • Amasa Carpenter - 1863 - Army • Alvah Green - 1863 - Army • Alfred Leonard - . . . — Map (db m74650) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Otsego Civil War Memorial
In Memoriam Given in F.C. and L. The Soldiers and Sailors Who Died That the Union Might Live — Map (db m73760) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — L2119 — Otsego Methodist Church
The Otsego Methodist Church was organized in 1842 and served by a traveling minister. The first church was built on this site in 1847. On December 22, 1889, over 900 townspeople attended the dedication of the present church. Many donated money . . . — Map (db m69960) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Welcome to Pine CreekHere Sat the Community of Pine Creek
Settled in 1831 by the Hull Sherwood and Giles Scott families of Rochester, New York, the Pine Creek area was first called “New Rochester.” Allegan County’s first grist mill was constructed here in 1834, attracting customers from miles . . . — Map (db m74596) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Welcome to the City of OtsegoOtsego: A Town with a History
Dr. Samuel Foster and his family built the first frame structure just west of here on the banks of the Kalamazoo River in the fall of 1831. First called “Allegan,” the name was changed officially to Otsego in 1835 when land developer . . . — Map (db m73761) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Overisel — L1566 — Overisel / Overisel Reformed Church
(Side One) Overisel Seeking religious liberty and better economic opportunity in a new land, the Reverend Seine Bolks and a congregation of about two dozen families, left Hellendoorn, Province of Overisel, The Netherlands, on . . . — Map (db m73646) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Plainwell — Early History of Plainwell"The Island City"
Plainwell, formerly know as Plainfield, became an incorporated municipality in 1869, and later became designated as a city on March 12, 1934. The community is nestled along the banks of the Kalamazoo River and the Mill Race giving it the unique . . . — Map (db m74530) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Plainwell — Soule Memorial FountainPlainwell History
The Soule Memorial Fountain was built in 1907, donated by Mrs. Carrie Soule in memory of her late husband, George Gary Soule. The fountain was destroyed in 1953 when a truck driver from the Grand Rapids Hide Company was on his way to the Murray . . . — Map (db m74673) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L0908A — All Saints Episcopal Church / Gordon W. Lloyd
All Saints Episcopal Church An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatauk on All Saints Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd . . . — Map (db m45324) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — S697 — Felt Mansion
(Side One) Chicago inventor and businessman Dorr Felt built this house as a summer home for his wife, Agnes. Felt held numerous patents, mostly notably for the Comptometer, the first machine to do complex calculations. In 1919 Felt . . . — Map (db m73640) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1818 — First Congregational Church
On January 11, 1860, eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village, a council of area Congregational leaders met in the Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer the congregation built a church on this site, which . . . — Map (db m45457) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — 2172 — Reed's Livery
Roger E. Reed, whose father was a blacksmith and carriage maker, built this structure in 1905. The front of the building housed an office and carriages, while the back was a stable of 25 stalls. Here travelers boarded stages bound for Holland, Grand . . . — Map (db m45238) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — 1762 — Saugatuck Engine House — Michigan Historic Site
Saugatuck Engine House Built 1879-1880 — Map (db m45280) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — S191 — Singapore, Michigan
Beneath the sands near the mouth of the Kalamazoo River lies the site of Singapore, one of Michigan's most famous ghost towns. Founded in the 1830's by New York land speculators, who hoped it would rival Chicago or Milwaukee as a lake port, . . . — Map (db m45269) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1908 — The Allegan Road
When Allegan county was organized in 1835, the only road from the interior to Lake Michigan followed an Indian Trail along the Kalamazoo River. In 1838 Ralph Mann of Connecticut was supervising improvements at the short-lived town of Richmond. He . . . — Map (db m73603) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — Welcome to River Bluff ParkHistoric Saugatuck Township
You are near the center of Historic Saugatuck Township in River Bluff Park. The first settlers came here to a howling wilderness in the early 1830's. Within the township, Saugatuck is a half-mile to the west on the Old Allegan Road. Across the river . . . — Map (db m73604) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Shelbyville — Early History of Shelbyville
In the 1870's the Village of Shelbyville was created by the arrival of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad. Shelbyville was named after the first railroad station agent, Mr. Shelby. Since there was already a Michigan town named Shelby, the . . . — Map (db m74594) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Wayland — L1274 — Henika Ladies Library
Upon her death in April 1899, Julia Robinson Henika bequeathed two thousand dollars to the Wayland Ladies Library Association for construction of a library building. Her husband George H. Henika, and mother, Mary Forbes, later donated additional . . . — Map (db m73679) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Wayland — Welcome to Wayland
It is hard to imagine now, but 200 years ago, the place we know as Wayland was densely forested and the people who lived here, the Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of the Pottawatomi, lived in settled villages, farming, hunting, and gathering the rich . . . — Map (db m73677) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — A Shipbuilding Revolution
Shipbuilding forever changed with the transition from wooden hulls to those built of iron and steel. The first iron-hulled freighter on the Great Lakes, the Onoko, debuted in 1881. At 287 feet long, she was a giant of her day. Just five years . . . — Map (db m122196) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L2103 — Alpena City Hall
Located on the Government Square, City Hall remains one of Alpena’s most prominent structures. In 1904 when the city council chose to construct the building of Bedford (Indiana) limestone rather than local limestone or concrete from Alpena’s . . . — Map (db m121900) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L746 — Alpena County Courthouse
"Alpena has blazed a new trail in construction," architect William H. Kuni of Detroit declared at the opening of the Alpena County Courthouse on October 21, 1935. Calling it "the first monolithic building erected in a cold climate," Kuni designed . . . — Map (db m66795) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Bigger, Stronger, Faster
At the time of the U.S. Civil War, thousands of sailing ships worked the Great Lakes. Despite their impressive numbers, these sailing vessels struggled hardly able to keep pace with the enormous demands for bulk cargos generated by America's . . . — Map (db m122215) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Fast Steel Flyer: The Bulk Freighter Grecian
Launched in 1891, the Grecian symbolizes an era of unprecedented industrial growth and dramatic changes in technology. Newspapers heralded the steamer and her five sister ships as “fast steel flyers.” A marvel of efficiency at . . . — Map (db m122197) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Harbor Tug Ralph
In 1874, the 60-foot wooden harbor tug E.H. Miller began a 45-year career operating out of Alpena, escorting vessels on the Thunder Bay River and assisting those in distress. The tug was not without her own share of mishaps. In her first . . . — Map (db m122200) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — International Shipmaster's Association
The maritime professionals who sail the ships on the Great Lakes are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their fraternal organization, the I. M. S. A. whose purpose is stated in the Association's constitution, "The purpose of this association's . . . — Map (db m121889) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Propellers
The screw steamer or "propeller" first appeared on the Great Lakes in the 1840s. These vessels featured wooden hulls and shallow bottoms like early sidewheelers, but their steam engines powered one or more screw propellers at the stern of the ship . . . — Map (db m121898) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Research Vessels
For centuries explorers and scientists have researched the Great Lakes. As a vital transportation link to the Midwest and one of the largest sources of fresh water on the planet. Such important resources warranted scientific, charting and survey . . . — Map (db m122199) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Rising from the Ashes: The New Orleans
Life on the frontier Great Lakes was dangerous when the sidewheeler Vermilion went into service in 1838. In 1842, the 151-foot steamer burned to the waterline, killing several people. A year later, with immigration booming and the economy . . . — Map (db m122429) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Squeezing The Profit Margin
Sailing ships first appeared on the Great Lakes when French explorer Rene Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle built the Griffon in 1679. By 1870, over two thousand sailing ships plied the Great Lakes. Most of these sailing ships were . . . — Map (db m122194) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L990 — St. Bernard Catholic Church
In 1861 Bishop Frederic Baraga (1797-1868) trod through snow and icy waters from Sault Ste. Marie to Alpena where he founded a Catholic church. However, it was not until 1866 that Father Patrick Murray became the first resident pastor of the church . . . — Map (db m121899) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Steaming Open the Frontier
Steam power first appeared on the Great Lakes in 1818. The earliest "steamers" were expensive to build and operate. Constructed of wood, the vessels had shallow bottoms and were powered by large sidewheels. For a time, these "sidewheelers" . . . — Map (db m121957) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Fletcher Coal Piers
In November of 1856, George N. Fletcher assisted a survey crew in laying the footprint for the city of Alpena. Appreciative of the area's dense forest and the Thunder Bay River's ability to help transport raw materials, finished products, and fuel, . . . — Map (db m122228) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Loss of the PewabicGreat Lakes Maritime Heritage Trail
The Civil War created an insatiable demand for copper. At a time when Michigan's Upper Peninsula produced the majority of America's supply, vessels like the Pewabic played a critical role in the war effort. On a typical trip between lakes . . . — Map (db m121896) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Third WardAlpena's "North" Side
Located across the river from where you are standing is an area known historically as Alpena's Third Ward. The first dwellings there were erected in 1858 or '59 at the river's edge, while the majority of the land remained woods and swampland. The . . . — Map (db m121894) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — The Ties That BindAlpena’s Second Avenue Bridge
From the time of Alpena's inception it was divided by the Thunder Bay River, although most of the community was centered on the south side. A wooden scow served as a ferry, connecting Second Avenue on the south side with Dock Street on the north; it . . . — Map (db m121890) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Thunder Bay Fishing Industry
The first known fishing camp near Alpena was established on Thunder Bay Island in 1835. By the 1840s, both Thunder Bay Island and nearby Sugar Island served as a base for the area's fishing fleet, comprised entirely of sailing vessels. In 1846, . . . — Map (db m121897) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Thunder Bay River Lumber Industry
From 1858 to 1926, Thunder Bay served as a major center of the Great Lakes lumber trade. Schooners and steamers shipped lumber around the Great Lakes and to eastern cities. Beginning in 1845, Thunder Bay Island also served as a "wooding," or fueling . . . — Map (db m121895) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Tragedy in the Mist: The Schooner E.B. Allen
Like other "canallers," the schooner E.B. Allen squeezed through the canals and locks of the Great Lakes. Crews tried to maximize the payload, and thus profits, using every inch of cargo space. The heavy traffic of thousands of sail and . . . — Map (db m122198) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Treaty of Saginaw
“By the Treaty of Saginaw, made at Saginaw [Saquina] September 24, 1819, by General Lewis Cass, Governor of the Northwest Territory, on the part of the United States, and the Chippewa Nations, Thunder Bay River became a part of the boundary of . . . — Map (db m121893) HM
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — Winter LayupsThe fleet during its “down time”
Shipping on the Great Lakes has always been seasonal. The poor visibility, heavy seas and ice that came each year with the gales of November prompted ship owners and captains in the 1800s to "lay up" their ships. Every winter ice choked docks and . . . — Map (db m121892) HM
Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Because of the Water...

Before America was discovered, indigenous people hunted and fished the Grand Traverse region for thousands of years. As far back as 8,000 B.C., the waters of Grand Traverse Bay, Elk River and the 14 lakes of Antrim County's Chain of Lakes had . . . — Map (db m98175) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Early Elk Rapids and the Elk River

In this photo you are standing on the other side of the Elk River and to the left side of the photograph. This picture of Elk Rapids is from the 1890s and the view is from the top of the Elk Rapids Iron Company's Furnace. What is left of . . . — Map (db m98173) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk Rapids

In 1856 Dexter and Noble Company began building an empire with their sawmill and mercantile business. In 1872 they built an iron smelting plant, one of the largest charcoal furnaces in the country. At each step of their building that . . . — Map (db m98125) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk River, Entry to the Chain of Lakes of Antrim County

As shown in the above photograph taken in c1910, the Elk River and Chain of Lakes provided a means of transporting logs to the Dexter & Noble sawmill and a shoreline site where cord wood was made into charcoal fuel for the iron furnace. . . . — Map (db m98151) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Land of Anishinabek

Native Americans have hunted and fished the Grand Traverse region for thousands of years, perhaps as many as 10,000 years before white settlers appeared. The waters of the Bay, Elk River and the 14 lakes of Antrim County's Chain of Lakes had . . . — Map (db m98128) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Rotary Park "Centennial Project"

US 31 in its present location was built in 1953. In the 1960s, the Rotary Club of Elk Rapids began to develop the land between the highway and Elk River. With the help of other local organizations, the area became a park, named Rotary Park in . . . — Map (db m98118) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Why All of the Stumps?

It has often been asked, "Why the stumps in the river?"

In a way, the stumps tell the story of Elk Rapids. In the beginning the trees grew there while the land was still dry. As one can see in the photograph of the blast furnace, which was . . . — Map (db m98135) HM

Michigan (Arenac County), Omer — L444 — Omer Masonic Hall
This churchlike white frame structure with its graceful cupola was built in 1890 as the second Arenac County Courthouse. The first courthouse on this site burned the previous year. Omer had been a part of Bay County until Arenac was organized in . . . — Map (db m70969) HM
Michigan (Arenac County), Standish — Historic Standish Depot
. . . — Map (db m123979) HM
Michigan (Baraga County), Baraga — S0135 — Keweenaw Bay
This region's history is long and rich. Father Ménard, the Jesuit missionary, wintered near what is now L'Anse in 1660-1661. Near here Father Baraga set up his mission in 1843. He and the head of the neighboring Methodist mission, the Rev. J. . . . — Map (db m76282) HM
Michigan (Barry County), Hastings — S561C — Hastings Mutual Insurance Company
On April 5, 1885, the Michigan Mutual Tornado, Cyclone, and Windstorm Insurance Company became the first mutual windstorm company incorporated by the state of Michigan. Starting in a one-room office above Grant's store, the company occupied and . . . — Map (db m33250) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L1413 — "Ten Hours or No Sawdust"
Side 1 When Bay City's sawmills opened in 1885, mill owners notified workers that wages would be 12 to 25 percent lower than in 1884. On July 6, 1885, Bay City millhands began to walk off the job. Their slogan, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust," . . . — Map (db m33693) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2122 — Center Avenue
Center Avenue presents one of the most spectacular displays of late nineteenth and early twentieth century residential architecture in Michigan. Between 1870 and 1940 Bay City's prominent citizens favored Center Avenue as "the" place to live. Early . . . — Map (db m33961) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss Housec. 1892
Charles came to Bay City in 1864 from Ithaca, NY, to work for sawmill owners Henry Sage and John McGraw, eventually buying the Bay City Dredging Co. His home's architecture is Shavian Manorial, a Queen Anne/Tudor Revival style named after the . . . — Map (db m33909) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2084 — First Presbyterian Church
Side 1 In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney, an elder in the church, twice ran unsuccessfully for president on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized . . . — Map (db m33696) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L0858 — Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
(front side): Trinity Church Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, . . . — Map (db m33912) HM
Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — S0245 — Benzonia College

In 1858, in what was then a remote wilderness, the Rev. Charles E. Bailey and four families from his Ohio Congregational parish founded Benzonia colony. It was to be an "educational Christian colony" modeled after the earlier Congregational . . . — Map (db m97478) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — S0560 — Bruce Catton

(Side A) Historian, author, editor, Bruce Catton (1899-1978) is best known for his two Civil War trilogies -- The Army of the Potomac and The Centennial History of the Civil War. Born in Petoskey, Catton spent most of his . . . — Map (db m97480) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Benzonia — L0468 — Mills Community House

This building was a girls dormitory erected in 1909 for the Benzonia Academy. Named Mills Cottage in honor of the Reverend Harlow S. Mills, pastor of Benzonia Congregational Church from 1896 to 1916, it became property of that church when the . . . — Map (db m97479) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Beulah — Crystal Lake

In 1873 an ambitious but ill-advised project was put through in an effort to connect Crystal Lake and Lake Michigan with a navigable channel. The original level of Crystal Lake was, at that time, much higher than its present level. The project . . . — Map (db m97481) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Fog Signal Building

On December 12, 1891, the Lighthouse Board issued a "Notice to Mariners" informing them that a long sought steam-powered fog signal, featuring two 10-inch whistles similar to those then used on locomotives, had been installed at Point Betsie. . . . — Map (db m98327) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Gravestone at Point Betsie

Yes, we have a gravestone at Point Betsie but alas no grave. Edward Wheaton, Keeper 1934 to 1946, made this gravestone to honor his mother, Martha Madsen Wheaton, 1857 to 1941. She died in Cheboygan.

Keeper Edward Wheaton could not lift the . . . — Map (db m98323) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — S0272 — Marquette's Death

On May 18, 1675, Father Jacques Marquette, the great Jesuit missionary and explorer, died and was buried by two French companions somewhere along the Lake Michigan shore of the lower peninsula. Marquette had been returning to his mission at St. . . . — Map (db m97466) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — Oil House

Prior to 1892, large quantities of kerosene that fueled Point Betsie's beacon and apartment lamps, etc., was kept at the base of the lighthouses tower. As at other light stations, a separate building was erected here in 1892 to provide safer . . . — Map (db m98330) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Frankfort — War Memorial

To the men who have devoted their time and their lives that we may continue to live in freedom — Map (db m97464) HM

Michigan (Benzie County), Honor — Honor Area WWII Honor Roll

[Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m97482) WM

Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — Benton Harbor Fruit Market
Relocated and constructed on this site 1967-1968 by authority of Benton Harbor City Commission, as of June 20, 1968.      This agricultural marketing facility was originally created by the city of Benton Harbor in 1870 at its original location at . . . — Map (db m85364) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — S717 — Israelite House of David / Mary's City of David
(Obverse Side) Israelite House of David Based on the teachings of the Christian Israelite tradition begun by Joanna Southcott in England in 1792. Benjamin and Mary Purnell founded the House of David communal religious community in . . . — Map (db m64809) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — S155 — The Fruit Belt
Because of Lake Michigan's moderating effect, a narrow coastal strip from Indiana to Grand Traverse Bay, 300 miles north, is blessed by a climate uniquely suited to fruit growing. This fact was observed by the 1840's when peaches already were being . . . — Map (db m64812) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — The Historic District of Mary's City of DavidNational Register of Historic Places — Listed by the Keeper of the National Register, April 15, 2009
Officially beginning on 14 March, 1930, Mary Purnell’s reorganization of the Israelite House of David began in a very humble fashion on newly acquired properties along Britain and Eastman Avenues. With four agricultural properties, an unfinished and . . . — Map (db m81805) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Benton Harbor — L37 — The Morton House
This house built in 1849, by Eleazar Morton and his son Henry, was occupied until 1936 by four generations of Mortons. The oak-framed barn was built in 1840. Members of the Morton family, pioneers in this area, were prominent in Benton Harbor's . . . — Map (db m43844) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — 1870 Berrien County Jail
A Unique Jail Gilbert B. Avery, architect of the 1839 Courthouse next door, also designed the 1870 Berrien County Jail and Sheriff's Residence. The brick jail appeared from the outside as a conventional square structure with a ventilator . . . — Map (db m64919) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — S250 — Andrews University
This, the oldest Seventh-day Adventist college and the pioneer in a world-wide system of Christian education, was chartered in 1874 at Battle Creek as Battle Creek College. It was moved to Berrien Springs in 1901 where its name was changed to . . . — Map (db m64917) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — 38 — Berrien County CourthouseMichigan's Oldest County Courthouse — Michigan Legal Milestone
The county courthouse is an iconic symbol of the American legal system. Its importance in Michigan is established in the Michigan Constitution of 1835, which authorized county courts and the laws that followed, requiring counties to provide suitable . . . — Map (db m69920) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — HB50 — Berrien Springs Courthouse
This building, a fine example of the Greek Revival style, was designed by Gilbert B. Avery in 1838. James Lewis, the contractor, agreed to complete the building by April, 1839. Built almost entirely of whitewood, the courthouse has hand-hewn timbers . . . — Map (db m64918) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Berrien Springs — L2130 — Union Church and Cemetery
In 1857 Protestants of different denominations established a church and cemetery on property purchased from Zera and Eliza Wright. They dedicated the Greek Revival-style Union Church on July 4, 1858. The denominations held services on alternating . . . — Map (db m64939) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — S0286 — Bertrand
Nearby French and English trading posts were known as parc aux vaches or “cowpens” for the wild buffalo once found here. Joseph Bertrand, an early trader, married the daughter of a Potawatomi chief and through her acquired land in . . . — Map (db m1604) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — L1363C — Parc Aux VachesMadeline Bertrand Park
Known as Parc aux Vaches, or “cow pasture,” this area was named by the French for the wild buffalo that once grazed here. Two major Indian trails crossed here: the Sauk Trail, also called the old Chicago Trail, which linked Detroit and . . . — Map (db m64552) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — 260 — St. Joseph's Mission
Here, in 1837, in the then flourishing settlement of Bertrand, a fine brick church, dedicated to St. Joseph, was built to serve the Catholics of this area. In this church, on September 8, 1844, the habit of the Sisters of the Holy Cross was given . . . — Map (db m64931) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Buchanan — L1466 — Pears Mill
Pears Mill. Built in 1853. — Map (db m1873) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Buchanan — L1368A — Portage Prairie United Methodist Church
(Side 1) Persuaded by reports of good land from the Reverend John Seybert, Bishop of the Ohio Conference, the Jacob and David Rough families came to Portage Prairie from Pennsylvania in the spring of 1849. In 1851 they organized the Zion . . . — Map (db m64835) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Coloma — Baker Park
Dr. William A. Baker, 19th century physician and teacher, a lifetime civic leader and community builder, purchased this land and presented it to Coloma in 1885 for a public park. — Map (db m64892) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Lakeside — L2134 — Lakeside Inn
Known as Ames Grove, this property served as a picnic ground and recreation area beginning in the 1880s. John Aylesworth purchased the property in 1901 and opened the Lakeside Inn in this building as early as 1915. The hotel once had its own zoo and . . . — Map (db m64830) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — Eisenhower Interstate System
During the presidency (1953–1961) of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States, the National System of Interstate and Defense highways was finalized and signed into law. Gaining support for the Interstate Highway System . . . — Map (db m1668) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — L1256 — New Buffalo Welcome Center
The nation’s first Highway Travel Information center opened on May 4, 1935, on US-12 at New Buffalo, not far from here. Other states followed Michigan’s lead, and by 1985 there were 251 travel information centers across the nation. The New Buffalo . . . — Map (db m1593) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — The Iron Brigade / The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment
The Iron Brigade The Iron Brigade became one of the most celebrated military units on the American Civil War (1861–1865). Wearing distinctive black hats, they were easily recognised by friend and foe alike. The five volunteer regiments . . . — Map (db m4117) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — 718 — West Michigan Pike
(side 1) At the turn of the twentieth century, deep ruts and sand made West Michigan roads nearly impassable. In 1911 the West Michigan Lakeshore Highway Association was founded to promote the construction of the first improved highway . . . — Map (db m60839) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Carey Mission
Founded in 1822 by Isaac McCoy Carey Mission This tablet placed in 1922 by Fort St. Joseph Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m68473) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Donavon F. SmithLieutenant General USAF — 1922 - 1974
This Veterans Memorial Park is named in honor of Donavon F. Smith, Lt. General, USAF. General Smith graduated from Niles High School in 1940. After flight training, he was assigned to the 56th Fighter Group in England where he flew 123 combat . . . — Map (db m68534) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Donavon F. Smith Veterans Memorial Park Monument
Dedicated to all veterans by the people of the greater Niles area "Our country is free only because it is the Home of the Brave" — Map (db m68533) WM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J.
To the memory of Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J. Whose intrepid courage won the admiration of the Indians and whose apostolic zeal earned for him the title of the Francis Xavier of the American Missions. Father Allouez was born at St. . . . — Map (db m68554) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0477 — Ferry Street School
Constructed in 1867 at a cost of nearly $3,000, the Ferry Street School opened in January, 1868 as Niles’s school for “colored children.” In 1870 the Niles school system was integrated, and this facility closed. It reopened as an . . . — Map (db m1635) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0004 — Fort St. Joseph
The French fort built here in 1691 controlled southern Michigan’s principal Indian trade routes. Missionaries and fur traders were here already. The fort became a British outpost in 1761. Two years later it was one of the forts seized by Indians . . . — Map (db m1628) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1643 — Four Flags Hotel
The Four Flags Hotel opened with much fanfare on July 6, 1926. The newly formed Niles Hotel Corporation had raised $350,000 to build a hotel on the site of the Pike House hostelry. Chicago architect Charles W. Nicol designed the hotel, which was . . . — Map (db m1629) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0655 — John and Horace Dodge / The Dodge Brothers
John and Horace Dodge. Auto barons John (1864–1920) and Horace (1868–1920) Dodge were born and raised in Niles. During the 1830s, their grandfather, Ezekiel, had migrated from Massachusetts to Niles, where he ran a steam engine . . . — Map (db m1707) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1788 — John B. Reddick Building
John B. Reddick Building Built in 1855 — Map (db m70309) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L2112 — Johnson Cemetery
John Johnson Sr. donated property for this cemetery in 1838. His son Samuel had been buried on the land in 1835. John Johnson Jr. was among the township's first white settlers. The Johnsons and many pioneers are buried here. All but 20 of the 211 . . . — Map (db m64953) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1874 — Michigan Central Railroad Depot / Michigan Central Railroad Company
(Obverse Side) Michigan Central Railroad Depot This Richardsonian Romanesque-style depot was constructed in 1892 by the Michigan Central Railroad Company. Seeking to create a lasting impression of Michigan for passengers . . . — Map (db m68480) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1874 — Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot
Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot Built in 1892. This Property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m1636) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L732A — Morris Chapel Church
The local Methodist Episcopal Society, the oldest Methodist society in Berrien Township, was organized in 1840. In 1846 it voted to name its church in honor of Bishop Thomas A. Morris, then the head of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Michigan. . . . — Map (db m64952) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Niles - A Transportation CenterOpening Southwestern Michigan to the World
The St. Joseph River and the Sauk Trail (now U.S. 12) were major transportation routes for Indians, French voyagers, missionaries, military and early settlers through Niles. Nile's first railroad, the Michigan Central Railroad arrived October 1, . . . — Map (db m68537) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Niles Veterans Memorial
(South Face of Memorial) You a veteran of this Old town or pilgrim From far away looking For some tranquility... Here you may become Silent in honor of those Who have served... No one is a stranger at This revered place . . . — Map (db m68541) WM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — Parrott Civil War CannonRiverfront Park Historical Trail
Nearly 12,000 memorial cannons were donated by the U.S. Government, between 1872 and 1916, to local Posts of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) and other civic and patriotic groups for the purpose of display as a veterans' war memorial. They . . . — Map (db m67883) HM WM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — PA-WA-TING(Great Crossing)
Here the Old Sauk Trail forded the O-Sang-E-Wong-Se-Be now known as the Saint Joseph River. — Map (db m68474) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0339 — Ring Lardner
Sportswriter, humorist, sardonic observer of the American scene, Ring Lardner was born in the house across the street on March 6, 1885. Possibly the best-known American author in the 1920s, he began his career writing sketches of sporting events for . . . — Map (db m1632) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0344 — Saint Mary’s
The Roman Catholic Church in Niles traces its origin to the Indian Mission established at nearby Fort St. Joseph in the late 1600’s. Reestablished at Bertrand, three miles south of Niles, in the 1830s, the mission moved into town in 1849 and was . . . — Map (db m1606) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L1902 — Second Baptist Church
In 1851 the Reverends J.W. Hackley and D.G. Lett organized the Second Baptist Church under the Anti-Slavery Baptist Association. The first of four churches—a log building—was erected on the southeast corner of Sixth and Ferry streets. In . . . — Map (db m1607) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0475 — The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin
The Chapin House. This Queen Anne style house, completed in 1884, was the Henry A. Chapin family home until 1902. In 1932, when the City of Niles bought the property at auction for $300, the Chapin children stipulated that it be used only for . . . — Map (db m1706) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0062 — Trinity Church
This is the oldest existing church structure in Niles, located in the oldest Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Western Michigan. The first Episcopal service in Niles was conducted by Bishop Philander Chase in 1832. The parish was organized in 1834. . . . — Map (db m1634) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m68477) WM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0734 — Wesley United Methodist Church
In 1839 circuit riders from Ohio began preaching in Niles, using the barroom of a local hotel. In 1832 nine worshipers formed the Methodist class that grew to be the Wesley United Methodist Church. They dedicated their first house of worship in . . . — Map (db m1605) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Sodus Township — L1923 — The Hogue House
In 1854 Robert Hogue (1846-1905) migrated from Pennsylvania to Pipestone Township with his family. At age seventeen, he began teaching in a local school. He attended Adrian College, later graduating from the University of Michigan before he resumed . . . — Map (db m64868) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Boatbuilding Industry
St. Joseph and Benton Harbor once ranked among the nation's leading boatbuilding centers. From 1892 to 1955, waterfront facilities of the Truscott Boat Manufacturing Company, Dachel-Carter Shipbuilding Corporation, and Robinson Marine Construction . . . — Map (db m68202) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — S234 — Burnett's Post
William Burnett, an American patriot from New Jersey, established a trading post on the bank of the St. Joseph River immediately east of this point between 1775 and 1782. He was the first permanent white resident of this area. He married Kakima, . . . — Map (db m64855) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Commercial Fishing
Commercial fishing was one of St. Joseph's earliest maritime trades. Native Americans and the settlers who followed found the river and lake full of trout, whitefish, sturgeon, and perch. By the 1900s, family-run fisheries became major contributors . . . — Map (db m68224) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Commercial Shipping
Schooners rigged for sailing and steam-driven freighters were once common sights at St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. Fruit, lumber, and manufactured goods made up much of the port's early trade. By the 1870s, vessels were regularly carrying thousands . . . — Map (db m68217) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Creating a Harbor
The meeting of river and lake provided a natural setting for a harbor at St. Joseph. Human engineering would ultimately develop the port into one of the busiest on Lake Michigan. In the 1830s, at the urging of local merchants, the U.S. Corps of . . . — Map (db m68195) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Eleven Inch Dahlgren
On July 5, 1897 with great pride and effort the A.W. Chapman Post of the Grand Army of the Republic dedicated this gun and grounds to the memories of those who fought in the Civil War in defense of the flag. This 11 inch bore Dahlgren was built in . . . — Map (db m64869) HM WM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — 6 — Fort Miami
Here in November 1679, on the Miami River, as the St. Joseph was then called, La Salle, the French explorer built a fort as a base for his western explorations. Here he awaited the Griffin, the upper lakes' first ship. When the ill-fated vessel did . . . — Map (db m64837) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — La Salle MemorialFort Miamis
This Glacial Boulder found in the bed of the St. Joseph River was erected in 1902 by the Algonquin Chapter Daughters - American Revolution to commemorate the landing of Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle and the building on this point. Fort . . . — Map (db m43962) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Lighthouses on the Bluff
The Great Lakes region is one of the nation's most important centers of maritime commerce. Lighthouses helped mariners navigate these vast inland seas. In 1832, the U.S. Government built the first lights on Lake Michigan at two of its busiest . . . — Map (db m68176) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Lighthouses on the Pier
The north pier lighthouses, built in 1907, guide ships to this port. The inner light replaced a smaller, wooden lighthouse in use since 1847. The north pier was then extended and the outer light tower was added, allowing mariners to find the harbor . . . — Map (db m68152) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — L1019A — Old St. Joseph Neighborhood
During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, local river captains, mill owners, merchants and other professionals built homes in this neighborhood. Over one hundred of their homes remain. They exemplify popular architectural styles . . . — Map (db m64856) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Recreational Boating
Whether paddling a canoe, riding a riverboat, or sailing a yacht, pleasure boating has always been a favorite St. Joseph activity. Recreational boating has remained popular due to well-stocked fishing grounds and accessible private and city marinas. . . . — Map (db m68216) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Shipbuilding in the Twin Cities
With a ready supply of lumber and a thriving port, St. Joseph and Benton Harbor offered a natural setting for shipbuilding. As early as the 1830s, sailing and steam-powered vessels were built here for lake and river navigation. Shipbuilders . . . — Map (db m68204) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — Silver Beach Amusement Park
From its opening in 1891, the Silver Beach Amusement Park made St. Joseph a prime destination for tourists. Huge crowds enjoyed the park's many attractions, which included a carousel, roller rink, indoor swimming pool, bowling alley, beer garden, . . . — Map (db m68177) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — St. Joseph Maritime Heritage
Two historic waterways, Lake Michigan and the St. Joseph River, meet here. Opportunities for maritime trade, transportation, industry and recreation led to the founding of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. Explore the Maritime Heritage Trail and . . . — Map (db m68151) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — St. Joseph Maritime Heritage
Two historic waterways, Lake Michigan and the St. Joseph River, meet here. Opportunities for maritime trade, transportation, industry and recreation led to the founding of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. Explore the Maritime Heritage Trail and . . . — Map (db m68203) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — St. Joseph River Swing Bridge
St. Joseph's swing bridge allows passage for both maritime and railroad commerce. An alternative to a drawbridge, the swing bridge pivots open for vessels to pass and closes for trains to cross. St. Joseph's swing bridge is typically left open until . . . — Map (db m68223) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — St. Joseph's Firemen1898
In Memoriam Erected to commemorate the bravery of those who heroically gave up their lives in the performance of duty at the burning of York's Opera House, Benton Harbor, Michigan, Sunday, September 8, 1896. Edward H. Gange . . . — Map (db m64893) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — U.S. Lighthouse Supply Depot
A U.S. lighthouse supply depot was built at St. Joseph in 1893. For a quarter century, this depot equipped all of Lake Michigan's lights with materials ranging from lenses to lamp oil. Operations of the St. Joseph Depot were transferred to Milwaukee . . . — Map (db m68218) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), St. Joseph — United States Life Saving Service
The waters off St. Joseph and Benton Harbor have long served as an active and frequently dangerous avenue of maritime trade. High winds and hazardous waves made shipwrecks a common occurrence. To assist mariners, a U.S. Life Saving Service . . . — Map (db m68194) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Three Oaks — S0239 — The Dewey Cannon
This cannon, captured in the Spanish-American War by Admiral Dewey, was presented to Three Oaks when its citizens raised $1,400 for a memorial to the men of the battleship Maine. This was the largest contribution, per capita, of any community in the . . . — Map (db m1603) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Union Pier — L2179 — Gordon Beach Inn
Built in 1924 by Louis and Lena Gordon, and expanded four years later, Gordon Beach Inn was the centerpiece of the Jewish resort subdivision of the same name. The Gordons operated the inn for a decade before losing it during the Great Depression. . . . — Map (db m64829) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Bronson — L2090 — Bronson Public Library
The Bronson library originated in the early 1880s as the Ladies Library Association. In 1888 the township assumed ownership. Built with funds donated by steel tycoon Andrew Carnegie, the Classical Revival Bronson Public Library opened on May 23, . . . — Map (db m64550) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Bronson — S162 — The Chicago Road
One of the great routes for the pioneers coming west was the Chicago Road. The survey of the road began at Detroit in 1825 and followed closely the Sauk Trail which Indians had marked and traveled for centuries before the coming of the white man. . . . — Map (db m64549) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch Cemetery
The plat for the Village of Branch was signed the 16th day of March 1832 in Detroit by Sol. Sibley a Supreme Court judge for the Territory of Michigan. The proprietors Elisha Warren, De Gormo Jones, and Ebenezer S. Sibley also signed. . . . — Map (db m66771) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L1642C — Branch County / Branch County Courthouse Site
(Obverse Side) Branch County Branch County, named for John Branch, President Andrew Jackson's secretary of the navy, was one of thirteen counties established by the Michigan Territorial Legislature in 1829. The village of Branch, . . . — Map (db m66759) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch County Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial
In honor of the men and women who served their God and Country during the Korean and Vietnam Wars — Map (db m66770) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch County World War I Memorial1917 1919
A tribute to the men of Branch County who served in the spirit of loyalty served their country in the World War and in loving memory of those inscribed below who made the supreme sacrifice. Adams, George R. • Alderman, Claude W. • Berger, . . . — Map (db m66692) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch County World War II Memorial
Memorial To honor those valiant men and women of World War II who gave their lives for God and Country Paul Keller • Richard Symons • Donald Perry • Rollin Johnson • Marion Nutt • Donald Russell • Sidney Palmateer • Harold Van Patten • . . . — Map (db m66769) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial
The Michigan National Guard Armory was dedicated in 1917 and was the major information and gathering facility for Branch County's Military, Company A-32. These guns, known as the Maxim-Nordenfeldt Automatics, are anti-aircraft weapons, and they . . . — Map (db m66694) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Coldwater War Memorial
(Front Panel) To the memory of the soldier dead Erected by Butterworth Woman's Relief Corps No. 31 and the Citizens of Coldwater Dec 1906 (Right Side Panel) To the memory of the soliders of the . . . — Map (db m66718) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L657A/281 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival-style brick church in 1869 at . . . — Map (db m122218) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Frank D. NewberryVolunteer Soldier
Born at Rochester, Michigan, June 23, 1840 Died at San Jose, California, December 28, 1912 Civil War 1861-1863 Private Duryees Zouaves, 5th N.Y. Inf. Michigan National Guard Enlisted 1876 Commissioned Capt. Co. A, 2nd Regt. . . . — Map (db m66691) HM WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S489 — Governor Cyrus Gray Luce
On this site lived Cyrus Gray Luce, twenty-seventh Governor of Michigan. Born in Ohio in 1824, he moved to Branch County about 1849. He soon became involved in township, local and state politics, serving on the Board of Agriculture, in the . . . — Map (db m66760) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L2258 — H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
H.C. Lewis Art Gallery Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the . . . — Map (db m103503) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L1490C — Harriet Quimby
(Front Side) According to a long-standing Quimby family tradition, early aviatrix Harriet Quimby was born in the Coldwater area on May 1, 1875, to Ursula (Cook) and William Quimby. She spent her childhood in Arcadia, Michigan, and Arroyo . . . — Map (db m67528) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Loomis' BatteryBattery A First Michigan Light Artillery Organized in Coldwater and Known as
This is one of the six ten pounder Parrott guns sent to Loomis Battery by General McClellan at Rich Mountain, West Virginia, to replace the old six pounder brass gun originally supplied the battery, and was in service in West Virginia from July 1st . . . — Map (db m66690) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S275 — Michigan Library Association
The first formal step toward the founding of a state library association was taken by Mary A. Eddy, of the Coldwater Free Public Library, in a letter to Henry M. Utley of the Detroit Public Library on January 13, 1891. They had discussed this matter . . . — Map (db m66717) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Old SamBorn April 4, 1849 Died November 8, 1876
Hero of the Civil War, a beautiful, powerfully built draft horse, was the only survivor of the two hundred horses assigned to the Loomis battery of Michigan, after having been engaged in many battles and skirmishes. Old Sam was wounded several . . . — Map (db m66693) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Richard L. Bettinger Memorial Gardens
The gardens in the library park have been donated by the family of Richard L. Bettinger in honor of donors who contributed $500 or more to the renovation of the Naomi Davis Home, Branch County's shelterhouse. Individuals and organizations who made . . . — Map (db m104982) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S530B — State Public School at Coldwater / Coldwater Regional Center
State Public School at Coldwater In 1871 the Michigan legislature authorized the building of a special state public school to furnish temporary support and instruction for dependent and neglected children between the ages of four and . . . — Map (db m68976) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L19 — The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961
Potawatomie Indians ceded Coldwater Prairie to the United States in 1827. The Indians called it “Chuck-sew-ya-bish,” meaning “cold spring water.” Coldwater is located at the junction of Old Sauk and Fort Wayne Indian trails. . . . — Map (db m65858) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S445 — Wing House Museum
(Front Side) This impressive Second Empire style home with mansard roof was constructed in 1875 for Jay M. Chandler (1850-1884) and his young bride Frances. On this site from 1847-1871 had stood the Parrish flouring mill. Jay, the fourth . . . — Map (db m66761) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Girard Township — L2015 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodists held the first religious services in Girard Township. Organized in 1832 by the Reverend Ezekiel Gavit, a circuit rider, the congregation met in homes and a school until a church was built in 1844. When that structure burned in 1887 it was . . . — Map (db m65812) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Quincy — L1508A — Quincy Public Library
(Front Side) In 1906 Quincy businessman Charles W. Bennett and steel entrepreneur Andrew Carnegie both offered to build a library in Quincy Township. Carnegie required that the township provide the land and name the building after him. . . . — Map (db m66774) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Sherwood — 28 — Riley Dam & Trail EndUnion City Heritage Water Trail
George Ackerman, as a UCHS student, noted this spot on the river as a possible location for a dam. He went on to become a civil engineer. Around 1919, rising coal costs forced the village to turn toward hydro and they sought out Ackerman’s Chicago . . . — Map (db m95654) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 27 — "Municipal Pond" Becomes Union Lake
In 1923, when the Riley Dam was built in the St. Joe to create hydro for the village, the 500+ acre backwater was known only as the “Municipal Pond.” There had not been enough time to clear the swampy land before damming, so trees were . . . — Map (db m95243) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 7 — "Union" of the RiversUnion City Heritage Water Trail
At this point the Coldwater and St. Joe Rivers join, creating their namesake “Union” City. In the late 1820s a road surveying party following the Washtenaw Indian Trail that later became M-60 stumbled upon this junction and returned . . . — Map (db m95217) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 20 — Alumni FieldUnion City Heritage Water Trail
In June 1925, 178 members of the Alumni Association gave donations of $970.19 to purchase Davis Field for construction of a track, baseball diamond, tennis courts and football field. In 1926, the land was donated to the school, and on June 14, 1929, . . . — Map (db m95226) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 10 — Caille Richards CompanyUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The Blue Star Veteran’s Park Memorial up and to the left was once the site of one of Union City’s most important industries. Established in 1901, Caille Richards Co. was part of a large international company with headquarters in Detroit and branches . . . — Map (db m95219) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 13 — Chivas & Jack's GroceryUnion City Heritage Water Trail
In August of 1966, Arnold “Jack” and Rosemary Shaffer purchased from Mae and Blanche Miller & Ray Chivas Chivas Grocery, which had stood on this corner for more than 30 years with a barbershop on the 2nd floor. Whitlock Shoes occupied . . . — Map (db m95228) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 4 — Coldwater River & BridgeUnion City Heritage Water Trail
The first wooden bridge was built across the Coldwater River in 1843 with a steel bridge erected about 1895. The current bridge was constructed in the late 1950s. The Coldwater River starts from Coldwater Lake and meanders northwest 29.5 miles . . . — Map (db m95164) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 23 — Elkhorn Lodge: Home of "Skinny" Bullock
Union City ‘s own “Daniel Boone,” Austin “Skinny” Bullock (1908-77), moved into this, his beloved Elkhorn Lodge, on the first day of summer in 1952. He was a colorful local legend who loved to hunt, trap and fish, earning . . . — Map (db m95241) HM

1862 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1662
Paid Advertisement