Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Calhoun County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Albion College Marker on stone Albion College sign. image, Touch for more information
February 20, 2010
Albion College Marker on stone Albion College sign.
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 212 — Albion College
Methodists obtained a charter for Spring Arbor Seminary from the Territorial Council of Michigan in March, 1835. Later the institution was established in Albion on land donated by Jesse Crowell, a leading Albion pioneer and benefactor. In 1841 the . . . — Map (db m27744) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 215 — Birthplace of "Old Rugged Cross"
"The Old Rugged Cross," one of the world's best-loved hymns, was composed here in 1912 by the Rev. George Bennard (1873-1958). The son of an Ohio coal miner, Bennard was a lifelong servant of God, chiefly in the Methodist ministry. He wrote the . . . — Map (db m27745) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 216 — Birthplace of Famed Song
It was in the spring of 1911 that two freshmen at Albion College, Byron D. Stokes and F. Dudleigh Vernor, wrote the words and music for a song they called "The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi." The song made a hit with their fraternity brothers, and . . . — Map (db m27742) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 1695 — First Presbyterian Church
(Front) In February 1837 the Reverend Calvin Clark, a circuit riding pastor sent by the American Home Missionary Society, met with twenty-four persons and organized the Albion Presbyterian Church. The first church was built in 1840 on the . . . — Map (db m28378) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 97 — Gardner House Museum
Augustus P. Gardner (1817-1905), a wealthy hardware merchant, built this Victorian style house in 1975. A three-story, thirteen-room mansion with a mansard roof, it was Gardner's home until his death in 1905. In 1966, after decades of neglect, the . . . — Map (db m28379) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 1723 — Mother's Day In Albion / Mother's Day
Marker Front: On May 13, 1877, the second Sunday of the month, Juliet Calhoun Blakeley stepped into the pulpit of the Methodist-Episcopal Church and completed the sermon for the Reverend Myron Daugherty. According to local legend, Daugherty . . . — Map (db m27817) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 13 — The First Home
The first house at what was then known as the "Forks of the Kalamazoo" was erected near this site by Tenney Peabody, a New Yorker. To this cabin with its thatched roof of grass from the banks of the nearby Kalamazoo River, Albion's first settler . . . — Map (db m27815) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Albion — 566 — The Observatory
The Albion College Astronomical Observatory was built in 1883-84 at the urging of Dr. Samuel Dickie, who later became president of the college. Dickie helped raise $10,000 to build and equip the facility. The observatory still harbors its original . . . — Map (db m27743) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Battle Creek — Sojourner Truth Memorial
In memoriam Sojourner Truth, born a slave in Ulster Co. N.Y. in the 18th century, died in Battle Creek Mich. Nov. 26, 1883 aged about 105 years. "Is God Dead" S.T.

Formal dedication Nov. 26, 1997, 200th Anniversary — Map (db m82266) HM

Michigan (Calhoun County), Battle Creek — U.S.S. Maine Memorial Plaque
Memorium U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m70051) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Homer — L439 — Homer Fire Station
This brick structure with arched windows and a decorative cornice was built in 1876, five years after Homer incorporated as a village. A fire station, jail, and city offices initially occupied the building which is located in the center of the . . . — Map (db m78879) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marengo — 1 — Marengo Pioneer Cemetery
This site on Territorial Road was a gift of Seeley Neal (1778-1862) from 640 acres acquired from the government in 1831. Neal, a veteran of the War of 1812, built the first log house in the township. His was the first family to locate in the . . . — Map (db m28398) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1240 — American Museum of Magic
Presto-Change-O! From saloon to billiard parlor, to clothing store, to bakery, to museum, this edifice, built in 1868, has known many transformations. Since April Fools' Day 1978 it has housed a unique collection that celebrates the magician's arts . . . — Map (db m28371) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 491 — Charles T. Gorham
Gorham (1812-1901) came to Marshall in 1836 from New York State. First a merchant, he became a banker and in 1865 organized the First National Bank of Marshall, now the Michigan National Bank. He was a defendant in the famous Crosswhite fugitive . . . — Map (db m28375) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1226 — First Baptist Church
The Reverend Thomas Z.R. Jones, a traveling missionary, began visiting the Marshall area in 1838. On January 16, 1840, he helped organize the First Baptist Church of Marshall with eight members. The group erected this church in 1850-51. They . . . — Map (db m28377) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 1051 — Grand Army of the Republic / The G.A.R. Hall
(Front): In 1866 northern Civil War veterans organized the Grand Army of the Republic to fight for veterans' pensions and other benefits. Michigan's first chapter was formed the next year. National membership peaked in 1890 with 409,489 . . . — Map (db m28380) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 512 — Harold C. Brooks / Fitch-Gorham-Brooks House
(Front) Harold Craig Brooks (1885-1978) was Marshall's mayor from 1925 to 1931, patron, and philanthropist. His interest in city beautification set a standard for preservation and adaptive use as early as 1921. He owned and protected more . . . — Map (db m28382) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 42 — Honolulu House
Abner Pratt settled in Marshall in 1839 and in the 1850s became Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court. In 1857-59 he was United States Consul to the Sandwich (Hawaiian) Islands. Returning home, he built this house in 1860 to recreate the island . . . — Map (db m28384) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 989 — Howard F. Young / Postmasters
(Front) Howard F. Young (1889-1934), a native of Allegan, designed this Marshall post office building in 1932. Young studied engineering at the University of Michigan and was involved in construction work in Albany, New York, Detroit and . . . — Map (db m28390) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 503 — Isaac E. Crary and John D. Pierce / State School System
(Front) When attorney Isaac E. Crary came to Marshall in 1832 from Connecticut, he became fast friends with another transplanted easterner, the Reverend John D. Pierce. Interested in government and education, these two men in 1834-35 . . . — Map (db m28391) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 397 — Isaac E. Crary House
Michigan's first congressman lived here from the early 1840s until his death in 1854. Located on lots one and two, original plat, lower village, the house was a wedding gift from his father-in-law, Judge Abner Pratt. Arriving here in 1831, Crary was . . . — Map (db m28392) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 888 — James A. Miner
James A. Miner, born in Marshall in 1842, began studying law in Clinton, Iowa, in 1860. Completing his studies in Marshall, he was admitted to the Calhoun County bar in 1863. There he was circuit court commissioner (1866-1870) and prosecuting . . . — Map (db m28393) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 454 — John D. Pierce Homesite
On this foundation stood the log house of the Reverend John D. Pierce. Born in New Hampshire, Pierce moved to Marshall in 1831, where he founded the Congregational church. In 1834 he and Isaac Crary designed Michigan's school system, and from 1836 . . . — Map (db m28394) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 654 — Lieutenant George A. Woodruff
(Front): Lieutenant George A. Woodruff (1840-1863) graduated early from West Point because of the start of the Civil War. Young Woodruff served valiantly with the Army of the Potomac. At Gettysburg he was mortally wounded while defending . . . — Map (db m28395) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 375 — Marshall
Founded in 1831 by Sidney Ketchum and settles from New York and New England, the town was named in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall. Townsmen Isaac Crary and the Rev. John Pierce planned in 1834 the innovative Michigan public school system. . . . — Map (db m28450) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marshall — 2161 — Mary Miller / Hillside
(Front) This house, built for local attorney Henry W. Taylor and long owned by the Schuyler family, was also home to Mary "Mazie" Miller (1871-1941) and her husband, Craig. An outspoken suffragette and Republican political activist, Miller . . . — Map (db m28451) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement