Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clinton County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Michigan's Capital Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., March 27, 2016
Michigan's Capital Marker
Michigan (Clinton County), Grand Ledge — 268 — Michigan's Capital
Ahead lies Lansing, capital of Michigan. In 1835, when the state was organized, Detroit was the capital, as it had been when Michigan was a territory. The capital, after much debate, was moved to its present, more centally located site in 1847. The . . . — Map (db m94905) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Laingsburg — Sleepy Hollow State Park Welcome! To Sleepy Hollow State Park!
Sleepy Hollow has three picnic areas with shelters, 1/8 mile of swim beach and a 181 site modern campground. The 11 miles of hiking trails and six miles of bridle trails pass through forested and open land. The park offers examples of "forest . . . — Map (db m119568) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — Carriage House
In 1996, the Ovid Historical Society with the financial aid of the Downtown Development Association purchased a carriage that had been manufactured at the Ovid Carriage Works, later known as the Scofield Buggy Company in Ovid. The members of the . . . — Map (db m119805) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — L1718 — George D. Sowers House
Built in 1869-70 for George D. and Carrie Sowers, this house is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Sowers, the first of several prominent local businessmen to live here, owned a planing mill located across the street with his partner, . . . — Map (db m119389) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — L114 — Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid
Village of Ovid In 1836, inhabitants of Ovid, Seneca Falls County, New York, began to settle this fertile farm area. Among them were Samuel Barker, who built his log cabin in "Section 6;" Jabez Denison, noted for his prowess in killing . . . — Map (db m119352) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), St. Johns — L765 — Paine-Gillam-Scott House
Lured by the railroad, John W. Paine (1821-1870) moved from the nearby Rochester Colony to St. Johns. In 1860 he built the town's first brick store and this house. The office was later added to this site. Dr. Samuel Gillam (1845-1908) remodeled the . . . — Map (db m68222) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement