Ahead lies Lansing, capital of Michigan. In 1835, when the state was organized, Detroit was the capital, as it had been when Michigan was a territory. The capital, after much debate, was moved to its present, more centally located site in 1847. The . . . — — Map (db m94905) HM
On State Park Drive 1.5 miles north of East Price Road, on the right.
Sleepy Hollow has three picnic areas with shelters, 1/8 mile of swim beach and a 181 site modern campground. The 11 miles of hiking trails and six miles of bridle trails pass through forested and open land. The park offers examples of "forest . . . — — Map (db m119568) HM
On North Main Street north of Williams Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1996, the Ovid Historical Society with the financial aid of the Downtown Development Association purchased a carriage that had been manufactured at the Ovid Carriage Works, later known as the Scofield Buggy Company in Ovid. The members of the . . . — — Map (db m119805) HM
On East Williams Street east of North Main Street, on the left when traveling east.
Built in 1869-70 for George D. and Carrie Sowers, this house is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Sowers, the first of several prominent local businessmen to live here, owned a planing mill located across the street with his partner, . . . — — Map (db m119389) HM
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Village of Ovid
In 1836, inhabitants of Ovid, Seneca Falls County, New York, began to settle this fertile farm area. Among them were Samuel Barker, who built his log cabin in "Section 6;" Jabez Denison, noted for his prowess in killing . . . — — Map (db m119352) HM
On Maple Street north of West Cass Street, on the left when traveling north.
Lured by the railroad, John W. Paine (1821-1870) moved from the nearby Rochester Colony to St. Johns. In 1860 he built the town's first brick store and this house. The office was later added to this site. Dr. Samuel Gillam (1845-1908) remodeled the . . . — — Map (db m68222) HM