Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Emmet County Michigan Historical Markers

 
W. W. Fairbairn Hardware Store (<b><i>marker visible at front corner</b></i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2017
W. W. Fairbairn Hardware Store (marker visible at front corner)
Michigan (Emmet County), Alanson — 2139 — W. W. Fairbairn
Walter W. Fairbairn came to Alanson in 1888 as a government surveyor. He worked as a blacksmith in Detroit and lived in North Dakota before settling permanently in Alanson in 1892. Three years later, he established a hardware and plumbing . . . — Map (db m107153) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — S0151A — Bay View / Bay View Association

(Side A) Bay View Bay View comprises one of Michigan's most spectacular collections of Victorian era architecture. Sweeping verandas and stately turrets characterize the Queen Anne style evident in the cottages and public buildings. . . . — Map (db m97487) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Bay View Historical Museum — circa 1880 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97556) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Cottage — circa 1888 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97564) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Epworth Hall — circa 1891 — A Historic Place on the National Register

Originally dedicated, July 23, 1891 Restored and rededicated on its 99th anniversary July 23, 1990 — Map (db m97562) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Evelyn Hall — circa 1890 — A Historic Place on the National Register

is considered one of the finest examples of Queen Anne architecture in the State of Michigan. It was dedicated on July 24, 1890 as a summer home of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union.

Evelyn Hall was restored as part of the Bay View . . . — Map (db m97489) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — First Bay View Fire Hydrant

Now disconnected this hydrant was the first one in use in Bay View around 1883 — Map (db m97529) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Hitchcock Hall — circa 1889 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97515) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — John M. Hall Auditorium — Bay View - Est. 1875

John M. Hall, a young attorney from Flint, was elected as superintendent of the Chautauqua Educational Department of Bay View in 1885. After nearly three decades as superintendent of the Bay View assembly, the Bay View University and . . . — Map (db m97486) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Library — circa 1931 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97519) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Post Office — circa 1923 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97524) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Speaker's Stand — circa 1876 — A Historic Place on the National Register

First Public Building — Map (db m97527) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — S0151 — Stafford's Bay View Inn

J. W. Howard completed this spacious inn in 1887, naming it the Woodland Avenue House because of its proximity to that street. Later he called the hotel the Howard House. In 1923 the popular resort became the Roselawn in honor of Horace Rose, . . . — Map (db m97565) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Terrace Inn

When the Terrace Inn opened in 1911, its owners billed it as Bay View's "newest and most modern hotel." One of only two remaining hotels among the resort's four hundred Victorian houses and public buildings, it was built to accommodate the . . . — Map (db m97485) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Vernor Hall — circa 1897 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97518) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Bay View — Woman's Council, formerly Chautauqua Cottage — circa 1887 — A Historic Place on the National Register

[Title is text] — Map (db m97560) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — Area Of The Old Council Tree — Dibaagegaamtig — M-119 Tunnel of Trees Scenic Heritage Route

In this area, beneath a large tree, tribal chief of the Menominee, Ojibwe, and Odawak held many councils in the late 1700's. The tree was also used as a navigational tool during seasonal migrations. — Map (db m97840) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — L'Arbre Croche — Waganakising — M-119 Tunnel of Trees Scenic Heritage Route

This was the name given by the French to the region from Cross Village to Harbor Springs because of a large crooked tree that stood on the crest of the bluff. Visible for many miles, it marked the center of a large Odawa Indian settlement. — Map (db m97815) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage — as viewed from Cross Village, Michigan

Skillagalee Island Light Located 12 miles northwest of Cross Village. First established in 1850, the present Light was built in 1888. There are many shipwrecks near this island, in an area known as the "Graveyard of the Great . . . — Map (db m97851) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church

The Cross Village Presbyterian Church was first organized on February 19, 1888, and dedicated in October of 1890. In 1918, a fire that destroyed much of the town also consumed the church. The church was rebuilt in 1921 as the results of the . . . — Map (db m97854) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Cross Village — S0612 — The Legs Inn

(Side A) The Legs Inn, named for the stove legs that trim the roofline, is one of Michigan's most exuberant and unusual landmarks. The building reflects Stanley Smolak's creativity and the craftsmanship of local Odawa (Ottawa) Indians. A . . . — Map (db m97844) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — Andrew J. Blackbird / Mack-e-te-be-nesey — c. 1815 - 1908 — 2007 Lansing Michigan Walk of Fame Inductee

Educated first in Odawa (Ottawa) skills and traditions, Andrew J. Blackbird struggled to find the resources to attend Euro-American schools. He eventually studied at Ypsilanti State Normal School. His command of English enabled him to work as . . . — Map (db m97603) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — S0352 — Andrew J. Blackbird House / Makade Binisii Wegamik

(Side A) Andrew J. Blackbird House Andrew J. Blackbird (c.1815 - 1908), an important figure in the history of the Odawa (Ottawa) tribe, was the son of a chief. Educated in the traditions of the Odawa, he also attended Euro-American . . . — Map (db m97594) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — S0248 — Ephraim Shay

The many-sided house across the street, sheathed in steel plates, was built for Ephraim Shay, inventor of the Shay locomotive. Patented in 1881, the locomotive operated by a gear-drive mechanism. Its great traction and ability to operate on . . . — Map (db m97600) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — L2165 — GR&I Railroad Depot

The Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad linked Harbor Springs to its main line in 1882, further opening the Little Traverse Bay area to resort and commercial development. Grand Rapids architect Sidney J. Osgood designed this depot, built in 1889, . . . — Map (db m97604) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Harbor Springs — World Wars Memorial

In Memory Of Corp Leo M. Smith Killed in action at Soissons, France July 19, 1918 Stanley Hoover Killed in action Argonne Forest, France October 26, 1918 and in honor of the men of Harbor Springs who went forth at the . . . — Map (db m97788) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — S0011 — Fort Michilimackinac
This fort, built about 1715, put French soldiers at the Straits for the first time since 1701. French authority ceased in 1761 when the British troops entered the fort. On June 2, 1763, during Pontiac's uprising, Chippewa Indians seized the fort, . . . — Map (db m7670) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — Mackinac Bridge — Courageous Members of Organized Labor
1954 – 1958 State of Michigan Hon. G. Mennen Williams · Governor Mackinac Bridge Authority Prentiss M. Brown · Chairman Charles T. Fisher, Jr. · Deceased; George A. Osborn Mead L. Bricker; Murray D. Van Wagoner William . . . — Map (db m1995) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Mackinaw City — 249 — Michigan's First Jewish Settler
Ezekiel Solomon, a native of Berlin, Germany, who had served with the British army, arrived at Michilimackinac in the summer of 1761. He is Michigan’s first known resident of the Jewish faith. Solomon was one of the most active Mackinac fur . . . — Map (db m107159) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — Middle Village — Aapatawaaing — M-119 Tunnel of Trees Scenic Heritage Route

The church below, built in 1889, stand[s] in the vicinity of the first Jesuit mission of 1741, which was rebuilt by local Waganakising Odawak carpenters and craftsmen in 1825 — Map (db m97789) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — Middle Village

Built in 1889... The church below is the third to stand in the vicinity of the first Jesuit mission in 1741. It was rebuilt by the Indians in 1825 . . . — Map (db m97791) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — St. Ignatius Mission — Aapatawaaing — (Middle Village)

Built in 1889 the third church to stand in the vicinity of the first Jesuit Mission in 1741 — Map (db m97811) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Middle Village — L0491 — St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery — chi-twah Ignatius nuh-ma guh-mik

(Side A) St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery By the 1740s, French Catholic missionaries had come to this area, known to the Odawa as Waganakising, to minister to local tribes. Later, missionary work was taken up by others, . . . — Map (db m97790) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Pellston — Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m97857) WM
Michigan (Emmet County), Pellston — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to the men and women who served and those who gave their lives for their country — Map (db m97859) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries — 1876 — 301 East Lake Street

The City of Petoskey was named after Ignatius Petoskey who is pictured above with his two sons. The earliest commercial building at this site was a dry goods and grocery store operated by Brazile (also; "Bazile" or "Basil") Petoskey, sitting to . . . — Map (db m97971) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Bruce Catton — Patriot • Historian • Editor

Born Petoskey October 9, 1899 — Map (db m97892) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 7 — Carnegie Library Building — Hemingway's Michigan

When living in Petoskey in 1919, the library was a favorite haunt of Hemingway's and, in December, wearing his Italian cape and Red Cross uniform, he spoke here to the Ladies Aid Society about his World War I experiences. At that event he met . . . — Map (db m97891) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Coburn Building — 1892 — 316-318 East Mitchell

The Coburn building, constructed in 1892, is home to both the 316 and 318 addresses. The 316 address was originally housed by hardware stores run by a variety of men who partnered with Sydney Bump. His partners were Henry Easton, John Walrond, . . . — Map (db m97980) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Desert Shield / Desert Storm Memorial

A tribute to our Desert Shield/Storm Veterans, women and men; young and old.

You left your loved ones for the unknown. You gave up the comforts of home, for the hot, drying heat. You served your country in the fight for peace . . . — Map (db m97897) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Elk's Club

The area immediately east of this lot was the site of Petoskey's first hotel, built by Dr. William Little and his brother Robert. It was first called the Rose House. Later the original rude little building was replaced by a three-story . . . — Map (db m97881) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Fallass Drug Store — 1900 — 330-332 East Mitchell

For the first thirty-five years this address was a drug store. It was first owned by Charles W. Fallass until 1928. John Lake was the next owner until 1935 when his business went into bankruptcy. At that time he took the paint and wallpaper . . . — Map (db m97997) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — G & A Building — 1907 — 307 East Lake Street

This building was named for business partners Guleserian and Altoonjian, formerly of Armenia. Their Persian Bazaar had been relocated from the waterfront Midway to this downtown location. The second floor was leased for the Petoskey Normal and . . . — Map (db m97926) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Giles Restaurant — 1945 — 324 East Mitchell

"We treet you righte both day and night and have no cause for sorrow. Eat your fill and pay your bille and come again tomorrow," was the wording on the sampler that hung in the back of Giles Restaurant for nearly 50 years. In 1929, Enoch Giles . . . — Map (db m97989) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 2 — Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad Station — Hemingway's Michigan

This station, built in 1899, served as the region’s transportation hub. The Hemingway family passed through it often when going from Harbor Springs to their Walloon Lake cottage. Hemingway himself used the station when travelling north from his . . . — Map (db m97879) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Heath Michael Robinson — SOCS (SEAL), United States Navy — In Memory of

Born - 5 June 1977 KIA - 6 August 2011

Loving Son, Brother, Husband, Father — Map (db m97900) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — L2067 — Hotel Perry

During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, city-dwellers from the Midwest escaped hot summers in the fresh air of northern Michigan. Constructed in 1899 for Norman J. Perry, the Hotel Perry catered to these vacationers with its . . . — Map (db m97875) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — J. Schapler Saloon — 1904 — 317 East Lake Street

The saloon listed in the 1899 directory at this location was run by Henry Schapler, who had been born in Germany. By 1900 three of the 15 saloons in Petoskey were run by Schaplers, including Henry's brothers Fred and Frank. Several of the . . . — Map (db m97924) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 6 — Jesperson's Restaurant — Hemingway's Michigan

Established in 1903, this Petoskey favorite is noted for its home-style cooking. Jesperson's was said to be a favorite hangout of Hemingway and his Petoskey friend, Dutch Pailthorp. Its long lunch counter suggests the ones in Hemingway's story, . . . — Map (db m97919) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Karamol's, Mitchell Street Pub — Circa 1900 — 426-428-430 East Mitchell

This location originally held a trio of buildings that served the community in many ways. In 1900, at the 426 address, John Karamol sold cigars, fine wines, and liquor out of what was originally called the Posen Sample Company. Over almost the . . . — Map (db m97909) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Koulis Ice Cream — Circa 1925 — 323-325 East Mitchell

The 325 address is no longer in existence. It was absorbed by the First National Bank expansion in 1964. In 1909 George Koulis operated the First Class Ice Cream Shop and Confectionary business on the 325 site. John Laggis who worked for Koulis . . . — Map (db m97988) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — S0166 — Little Traverse Bay
For centuries this region has been the home of Ottawa Indians, whose warriors and orators fought bravely to retain their land. Around 1700 a mission was built by French Jesuits at the famous L'Arbre Croche villages which stretched from Cross Village . . . — Map (db m55405) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Lombard Post No. 170 G.A.R. Memorial — 1861 - 1865

To the honor and memory of Lombard Post No. 170

by Lombard W.R.C. No. 152 June 14, 1927. — Map (db m97877) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — M. J. Bourke: Agricultural Specialties — 1907 — 306 Howard Street

The first business owner in this building (the second building from the right in the photo) was M. J. Bourke. The store was constructed in accordance with a 1906 party wall agreement with the bank next door. Other shops that occupied this . . . — Map (db m97922) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 5 — McCarthy's Barber Shop — Hemingway's Michigan

This building once housed McCarthy's Barber Shop and Bath Room, where, in the fall of 1919, the young Hemingway went for a shave or haircut and for the patrons' banter about fishing and politics. He also likely took advantage of the public . . . — Map (db m97920) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Meyer Hardware — Established 1935

Herman Carl Meyer first opened Meyer Hardware for business on this location Friday, April 5th 1935, offering a complete line of general hardware, paint, household appliances, farm implements and machinery. He spent his entire life in the . . . — Map (db m97904) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Michael B. Lindemuth — United States Marine Corps — In Memory Of

Born December 17, 1977 Died In Service To Our Country On April 13, 2005 In Iraq

Associate Member Viet Nam Veterans Of America, Chapter 68 PetoskeyMap (db m97899) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Montgomery Sisters — circa 1881 — 311 East Lake Street

The Montgomery Sisters occupied this tin-fronted building after they moved here in 1919 from their Petoskey Midway location. Gertrude and Mae Montgomery were widely known for their eclectic merchandise. They sold fancy goods and art pieces in . . . — Map (db m97925) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — National Hotel — 1881 — 318 East Lake Street

The first building on this site, known as the Lake Street House, was completed in 1877. Later it was called the Farmer's Home, catering to farmers and laborers. That building burned to the ground with three adjacent buildings in 1880. Renamed . . . — Map (db m97923) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Old Indian Trail

This boulder marks the Old Indian Trail from Mackinaw City to Grand Rapids used from time immemorial by the Huron, Ottawa, Chippewa and other tribes — Map (db m97876) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Old Kent Bank of Petoskey — Michigan Centennial Business

This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of Old Kent Bank of Petoskey Founded in 1891 For more than 100 years of continuous operation in service to the People of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m97979) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Park Garden Cafe

Originally McCarty's Saloon and Billiard hall, the walls of the Park Garden Cafe would have a lot of stories to tell if they could talk. Built in 1875, the main billiard hall was one of Ernest Hemingway's favorite haunts. The interior is . . . — Map (db m98004) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 1 — Pere Marquette Railroad Station — Hemingway's Michigan

Built by the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad in 1892, this building later served as the Pere Marquette Railroad’s main station and Hemingway likely used it when traveling between Charlevoix and Petoskey. It became the Little Traverse History . . . — Map (db m97998) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Perry Hotel — 1899

Petoskey was a village just 20 years old when Dr. Norman J. Perry built this hotel in 1899. Resort trade flourished then, and so did the Perry, advertised as the only fireproof hotel in town. Its brick construction, a novelty at the time, . . . — Map (db m97883) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Petoskey Housefurnishing Co. / Reid Furniture — Circa 1940 — 307-309 East Mitchell

In 1913 a furniture business was established by Watson Snyder at this location. In 1927 Alfred Dau purchased this site from Snyder. About 1940, Dau decided to move the Petoskey Housefurnishing Company to Bay View Road. In 1927, James A. Reid . . . — Map (db m97977) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Petoskey Post Office — 1918 — 300 to 308 East Mitchell

This location served as the post office for Petoskey from 1918 until 1962 when it was decided that Petoskey needed a new facility due to the growth of the surrounding townships. The post office was razed and the location moved to 216 State . . . — Map (db m97978) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 8 — Potter's Rooming House — Hemingway's Michigan

In the fall of 1919, Ernest Hemingway decided to stay in Petoskey and work on writing stories. From October to December, he rented an upstairs bedroom from Mrs. Eva Potter, a widow living here with her children. It was in that bedroom that he . . . — Map (db m98006) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Site of the 1899 Department of Michigan G.A.R. Encampment

This rare Confederate cannon marks the site of the 1889 Grand Army of the Republic Encampment

This cast iron Napoleon howitzer was manufactured at the Augusta, Georgia (CSA) Arsenal during the Civil War. Until its discovery, only the . . . — Map (db m97878) HM WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 4 — The Annex — Hemingway's Michigan

The Annex, managed by the Fochtman family, was popular during Hemingway’s time. Historically a saloon and billiard hall, it legally sold only soft drinks during Prohibition but also, probably, alcohol. Hemingway is reported to have enjoyed . . . — Map (db m98005) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — The Braun — 1882 — 210 Howard Street

Was Hemingway thinking about the Braun Restaurant when he wrote about Brown's Beanery in Torrents of Spring? In 1882, John George and Margareta Braun began a hotel/restaurant business that spanned 55 years and three generations. The Braun was . . . — Map (db m98007) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — 3 — The Perry Hotel — Hemingway's Michigan

Built in 1899, this is the only one of Petoskey’s grand turn of the century resort hotels still in existence. In 1916 Ernest Hemingway hiked and camped his way to northern Michigan from his Oak Park, Illinois, home with a friend. When he . . . — Map (db m97880) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — The Pop Corn King — Circa 1913 — 326-328 East Mitchell

The building on the far left is 328 East Mitchell. The Pop Corn King is the 326 address which opened in 1913. Meryl Leach was the pop corn king in Petoskey for nearly fifty years. A second floor family residence was added later. At the 328 . . . — Map (db m97995) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — USS Hartford Dahlgren Gun

This Dahlgren IX inch cannon was aboard the USS Hartford, Admiral David Farragut's flagship during the most vital naval battles of the Civil War. New Orleans, the South's largest and richest city, was captured by his fleet in 1862. For this . . . — Map (db m97915) HM WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — USS Hartford Dahlgren Gun

This gun is one of twenty six nine inch guns composing the battery of Admiral Farragut's historic-flagship "Hartford" during the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 at the battles of New Orleans, Vicksburg, Port Hudson, . . . — Map (db m97916) HM WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Vietnam Memorial — 1964 - 1975

Freedom is not a conflict, it is a birthright. 2.9 million Americans served during the Vietnam Era to preserve this right. Like our forefathers they served this great country with pride and dignity. Over 57,000 brave men and women sacrificed . . . — Map (db m97898) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — World War II and Korea Memorial

In honor of the men and women of Petoskey who served their country in World War II and in Korea

[Honor Roll not transcribed] — Map (db m97896) WM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — World War Memorial — 1917 • 1918 — In Memoriam

Joseph Aniwiski • John Lumpp Paul L. Bathke • Barney Max John Serell Benjamin • Walter E. McPhail Ray C. Bonter • Jonas E. Misinine George Wallace Budlong • Clayton Murray William H. Campbell • Harry A. Parrish Carl Charles Carlton . . . — Map (db m97895) HM


77 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement