On 6th Street at Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on 6th Street.
One of the first municipal theaters in America, the Calumet opened on March 20, 1900, "the greatest social event ever known in copperdom's metropolis." The theater contained a magnificent stage and elegant interior decorations, including an . . . — — Map (db m76299) HM
On Red Jacket Road 0.1 miles east of 4th Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Calumet and Hecla Mining Company couldn't allow winter to derail its operation. In a remote region that can receive upwards of 300 inches (762 cm) of snow each year, snow removal was serious business. Clear rail lines were essential for moving . . . — — Map (db m122496) HM
On Calumet Avenue (U.S. 41) at Red Jacket Drive on Calumet Avenue.
a mass of native copper weighing 9,392 lbs. found in 1970, buried under three ft. of soil, (glacial till), about 4½ miles southwest of Calumet. Float copper such as this, was torn loose from fissures and lodes by glacial action and together . . . — — Map (db m76304) HM
On Eighth Street at Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on Eighth Street.
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was established in 1889 by Slovenian immigrants who came to the area to work in the mines of the Copper Country. The wood frame church erected by the parish in 1890 was destroyed by fire in 1902. The following year . . . — — Map (db m76302) HM
On Seventh Street at Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Seventh Street.
The Italian Hall
The building that stood on this site was called the Italian Hall, and was home to the Societa Mutua Beneficenza Italiana, which aided immigrants and others in need. Built in 1908, the hall housed a saloon . . . — — Map (db m76300) HM
On Quincy Street (U.S. 41) east of North Montezuma Boulevard, on the right when traveling west.
Site of the childhood home of photographer
Edward Steichen (1879-1973) and Lilian Steichen Sandburg (1883-1977), wife of writer Carl Sandburg.
At this site in the 1880s the seed was sown that later
grew into Steichen’s signature . . . — — Map (db m122590) HM
On Quincy Street (U.S. 41) at Montezuma Street, on the right when traveling west on Quincy Street.
Hancock (marker side 1)
The Quincy Mining Company platted Hancock in 1859, a decade after the company began mining Keweenaw copper. While many copper towns boomed and busted within a short period of time, Hancock remained stable, . . . — — Map (db m122367) HM
On Quincy Street (U.S. 41) at Dakota Street, on the right when traveling west on Quincy Street.
Old Main (marker side 1)
Suomi College was founded in 1896 by the Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. The cornerstone of Old Main, the first building erected at Suomi College, was laid on May 30, 1898. Jacobsville . . . — — Map (db m122387) HM
On Quincy Street (U.S. 41) at Mesnard Street, on the right when traveling west on Quincy Street.
Finlandia University, founded in 1896 as Suomi College, established the Finnish American National Historical Archive and Museum (FANHAM) in 1990 to honor the past contributions of Finnish Americans, to link present visitors with Finnish America and . . . — — Map (db m122599) HM
On Quincy Street at Reservation Street, on the right when traveling west on Quincy Street.
The first Finnish newspaper in America was the “Amerikan Suomalainen Lehti,” published by A. J. Muikku in Hancock on 14 April 1876. It was printed at the northwest corner of Quincy and Reservation Streets at the offices of the North . . . — — Map (db m122668) HM
It is said that there are two seasons in the Copper Country: "winter's here" and "winter's coming." The region's northern latitude and unsheltered exposure to Lake Superior combine to guarantee heavy "lake effect" snowfall. The Keweenaw Peninsula . . . — — Map (db m80074) HM
On East Lakeshore Drive 0.1 miles east of Isle Royale Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Amphidrome stood on this site from 1902 until 1927, when it burned. The first hockey game was played in the arena on December 29, 1902, when Portage Lake beat the University of Toronto, 13-2. The Amphidrome . . . — — Map (db m76308) HM
On East Montezuma Avenue (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles west of Pewabic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigan, met with nine . . . — — Map (db m76306) HM