"White Rock" is steeped in history and oral traditions. Henry Schoolcraft, in his Travels of 1820, speaks of the White Rock and its prominence. He says, "White Rock, an enormous detached mass of transition limestone standing in the lake at the . . . — — Map (db m68867) HM
In the early 1800s, "White Rock", a point well known to the Indians and early voyagers, played a significant role in defining settlements.
The Act establishing the Territory of Michigan was passed January 11, 1805, and took effect June . . . — — Map (db m68866) HM
The Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse and Lifesaving Station aided mariners for over a century, beginning in 1847. That year the United States Lighthouse Service built the first lighthouse on this site to mark the turning point of Lake Huron into . . . — — Map (db m41201) HM
This chimney was built in 1858 by John Geltz. It is all that remains of the lumber mill established that year by William R. Stafford. Port Hope grew up around the mill. For a score of years this town was a center of lumbering in the Thumb. It also . . . — — Map (db m41202) HM
Sebewaing Township was organized in 1853. In 1877 the board resolved to use “liquor money” to build this township hall. The atypical two-story town hall included voting booths, a courtroom, a jury room, a jail, and a meeting hall. The . . . — — Map (db m131775) HM
Here, on July 1, 1845, three Lutheran missionaries, Reverend Johann J. F. Auch, Reverend J. Simon Dumser, and Reverend George Sinke, arrived. The Lutheran leader, Reverend Friedrich Schmid, sent them from Ann Arbor to evangelize the Chippewa . . . — — Map (db m131772) HM