Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ionia County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Alvah N. Belding Library image, Touch for more information
By Cameron Zwart, May 5, 2012
Alvah N. Belding Library
Michigan (Ionia County), Belding — 816 — Alvah N. Belding Library
Alvah N. Belding erected this library in 1917/18 as a memorial to his parents, Hiram and Mary Wilson Belding. Alvah and his brother Hiram began peddling silk around Belding (then Patterson's Mills) in 1858. With the help of their brother Milo they . . . — Map (db m55243) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Belding — 1747 — Belrockton Dormitory
Built in 1906, the Belrockton is the last remaining boardinghouse of the three provided by the Belding Brothers and Company for its single female workers. A major silk manufacturer in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the company . . . — Map (db m55242) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Belding — 2050 — Pere Marquette Railway Depot
Completed in 1923 for the Pere Marquette Railway, this depot is typical of the railroad stations that served Michigan towns during the early decades of the twentieth century. The depot replaced an earlier, wood frame station built during the 1880s . . . — Map (db m55241) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Belding — 42 — White's Bridge
This picturesque covered bridge, one of the last of its kind in Michigan, was built in 1867 by Jared N. Brazee and J.N. Walker, builders of several covered bridges in this area. The name of the bridge derives from the White family, a prominent . . . — Map (db m55246) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Saranac — 76 — Saranac
In 1836, when Saranac was settled, the upper Grand River Valley was a promising but undeveloped area. The soil was fertile; Lake Creek provided water power; and the river was navigable to Grand Rapids. The town grew slowly until 1857, when the . . . — Map (db m55248) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Saranac — 253 — The Roadside Table
Here on old U.S. 16 in Boston Township, Ionia County, the first picnic table along a highway right-of-way was placed in 1929 through the initiative of Allan Williams, county engineer. The table was built of salvage planks formerly used as . . . — Map (db m55249) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Smyrna — 1063 — Smyrna
In 1843 Calvin Smith became the first white settler in the area. N.G. Chase opened a store here the following year. When Dr. Wilbur Fisher, the area's pioneer physician, began operating a rural post office in 1848, he named the community Smyrna . . . — Map (db m55244) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement