Ottawa Point (now called Tawas Point) presents a hazard to navigation as it juts out into Lake Huron. It also shelters Tawas Bay, protecting ships from strong north or northeast winds.
In 1850, The Federal government set aside $5000 to build a . . . — — Map (db m123998) HM
It is respectfully requested that the Board take under consideration the advisability of erecting a set of quarters at this station for the assistant keeper.
Major Thomas Handbury
Corps of Engineers to Light-House Board
December 1899 . . . — — Map (db m123996) HM
”Put oil in new Oil House, cleaned same.”
Lightkeeper Samuel Palmer, May 26, 1989
Fuel for the Tawas Point light was originally stored in an oil room in the keeperís dwelling. During the 1870s the Lighthouse Service changed . . . — — Map (db m123993) HM
The New Light Keepers
The State of Michigan acquired Tawas Point Light from the U.S. Coast Guard in 2002. The light will be managed by the Department of Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation Division, and interpreted by the Department of . . . — — Map (db m123997) HM
The point is a “making point.”
Annual Report, U.S. Lighthouse Board, 1873
Throughout its recorded history, blowing, drifting sand has constantly extended Tawas Point. This lighthouse was built in 1876 because the end of the . . . — — Map (db m123999) HM
In 1850 the U.S. Lighthouse Service commissioned a light station to safely guide ships into Tawas Bay. The first light station was built in 1852 at the end of Tawas Point, then known as Ottawa Point. The prisms of its . . . — — Map (db m124079) HM
The point has steadily made to the southward and westward, and the extremity of it is now more than a mile from the light.
Report of the Light-House Board, 1873
Blowing, shifting sand on the point forced the construction of the . . . — — Map (db m123991) HM
Erected in 1865 A.D. by the pioneer lumberman, Henry Martin Loud, who in that year founded in this area one of the largest lumber operations in Michigan.
The church burned in the fire which destroyed the town of Au Sable and most of the adjoining . . . — — Map (db m123971) HM
This area is named after a variety of gypsum, discovered offshore by Douglass Houghton in 1837. Prospectors soon began searching for other gypsum deposits, and this quarry was opened in 1862 by B. F. Smith. Used at first as fertilizer and as an . . . — — Map (db m120781) HM
Erected 1923 by the citizens
of the county to commemorate
the organization in 1840
of Iosco County
and the establishing in 1856
of the first Post Office in the
county with Gideon O. Whittemore
“History . . . — — Map (db m121979) HM