Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kent County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Central High School Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, November 21, 2016
Central High School Marker
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L2031 — Central High School
Side A The first Central High School opened in a stone building three blocks to the west. The state legislature instituted high school grading in 1859, and the first Central High School graduation was held in 1862. Two successively larger . . . — Map (db m99990) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L1683C — Central Reformed Church
Side A Central Reformed Church was formed on April 23, 1918, by the merger of the first two Reformed churches in the Grand Rapids area: the First Reformed, an English-speaking church organized in 1840; and the Second Reformed, a . . . — Map (db m99981) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — Final Resting Place of Gerald R. Ford
Beyond these gates is the final resting place of our Nation's 38th President Gerald R. Ford and his wife Elizabeth R. Ford

President of the United States 1974 -1977 Vice President of the United States 1973 - 1974 United States House of . . . — Map (db m99970) HM

Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L850A — First (Park) Congregational Church
Side A On September 18, 1836, twenty-two persons, under the direction of the Reverend Silas Woodbury of Kalamazoo, founded one of the first Protestant congregations in Grand Rapids. Initially a Presbyterian parish, the church was reorganized . . . — Map (db m99986) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — Gerald R. Ford 1913 - 2006
President of the United States 1974 -1977 Vice President of the United States 1973 - 1974 United States House of Representatives 1949 - 1973 United States Navy 1942 - 1946

I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your president with your . . . — Map (db m99968) HM

Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — Grand Rapids Veterans Memorial and Honor Roll
1941 - 1945 1950 - 1953 They Perished Defending Us Hundreds of names on several granet pillars in Veterans Park — Map (db m100032) WM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — Kent County Civil War Monument & Fountain
In Honor of the Soldiers from Kent County 1861 - 1865 Erected 1885 — Map (db m95407) WM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L120 — Ladies Literary Club
In 1870, six women who had been meeting for a year to study history, organized Grand Rapids' first Ladies Literary Association. The group was also instrumental in opening the first public library in the city that same year. In 1882 the association . . . — Map (db m99985) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L915A — McCabe-Marlowe House
Built between 1865 and 1870 by James and Hannah Gallup, this Victorian style villa is one of the oldest homes in the Heritage Hill Historic District. Gallup and his family lived here until 1896. The house was later owned by several prominent Grand . . . — Map (db m99991) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L691A — The Castle
Side A Designed by local architect William G. Robinson, this castle-like edifice was constructed in 1884-86 for Colonel E. Crofton Fox and his brother Charles. Built of granite block imported from Scotland, this house is a fine example of . . . — Map (db m99984) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — S419A — Voigt House
This elegant and perfectly preserved Victorian mansion was built for Carl G. A. Voigt in 1895. Voigt came to Grand Rapids in 1870 and ran a mill and dry goods store with W. G. Herpolsheimer. In 1902, when the partnership ended, Voigt took over the . . . — Map (db m99983) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Lowell — 1580 — Alton Pioneer Village
(side 1) In the early 1830s the settlement known as Alton grew up in this vicinity. A log schoolhouse, the first in the township, was built on this corner in 1839. In 1842, Gideon Hendricks and Newcomb Godfrey organized the Christian Church . . . — Map (db m55251) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Lowell — 197 — Fallasburg Covered Bridge
John W. and Silas S. Fallas settled here in 1837, founding a village which soon boasted a chair factory, sawmill, and gristmill. About 1840 the first of several wooden bridges was placed across the Flat River, but all succumbed in a short time to . . . — Map (db m55253) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Lowell — 1265 — Fallasburg Pioneer Village
(side 1) Fallasburg was settled in 1837 by two brothers from Tompkins County, New York. In 1839, John Wesley Fallas purchased the northwest quarter of section 24 and laid plans for a village. His brother, Silas S., also purchased land at . . . — Map (db m55255) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Lowell — 1348 — John Wesley Fallas House / John W. Fallas
(side 1) John Wesley Fallas House John Wesley Fallas built this house in 1842 in the village which bears his family name. Fallas platted the village on land he purchased from the U.S. government in 1839. That year, after a bridge . . . — Map (db m55254) HM
Michigan (Kent County), Lowell — 126 — Robert W. Graham Home
In 1873 Robert W. Graham designed and built this Italianate structure as a two-family residence. A native of England, Graham settled in Lowell in 1858. Here he worked as a brick mason, a farmer and a merchant. Graham's son Ernest, an architect, . . . — Map (db m55252) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement