This village, situated at the west end of 12 miles of unexcelled sand beach, was named for Henry Brevoort, Jr., 1845 surveyor; originally known as "The Warehouse," when the Mackinaw Lumber Company, which came here in 1875, built a large depot for . . . — — Map (db m87124) HM
Epoufette has been a fishing village since 1859, when Amable Goudreau, born in Quebec around 1824, established a commercial fishery. More than a century after his death in 1882, some of his descendants continued fishing operations. Father Edward . . . — — Map (db m4446) HM
On June 6, 1822, Alexis St. Martin (1804-1880), a French Canadian voyageur, was accidentally shot in the American Fur Company Store located on this site. Dr. William Beaumont (1786-1853), the Fort Mackinac post surgeon, nursed St. Martin back . . . — — Map (db m34923) HM
Here, during the night of July 16-17, 1812, a small force of British regulars and several hundred voyageurs and Indian allies from St. Joseph Island landed. They occupied a height that overlooks Fort Mackinac and demanded its surrender. Lt. . . . — — Map (db m96411) HM
Here in 1812, on the island's highest point, a blockhouse and stockade were built by the British and named Fort George. It was the bulwark of British defenses in 1814 when the American attack was repulsed. After the war the Americans renamed the . . . — — Map (db m55408) HM
Highest point on the island, 325 feet above the straits and 168 feet above Fort Mackinac.
Built by the British soon after the capture of Fort Mackinac, July 17, 1812. British named it Fort George, after the reigning English King, George . . . — — Map (db m55409) HM
Opened on July 10, 1887, the Grand Hotel was built by the Grand Rapids & Indiana and the Michigan Central railroads and the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Company through the efforts of Sen. Francis B. Stockbridge.
It is built of Michigan white . . . — — Map (db m107066) HM
From 1923 to 1970, William C. Greany, “the Major,” was scoutmaster of the Detroit Area Council Troop 194.
In 1983 he was appointed Special Eagle Scout Administrator of Mackinac Island Scout Service Camp and for thirty years played a . . . — — Map (db m107133) HM
Mackinac Island has been called the most historic spot in the Middle West. Fort Mackinac was first built by the British in 1780-81. It was not until 1796, thirteen years after the end of the Revolutionary War, that the British relinquished this fort . . . — — Map (db m34972) HM
Constructed for Charles O’Malley about 1852, this building was one of the first summer hotels on Mackinac Island.
Captain Henry Van Allen, a Great Lakes Skipper, purchased the hotel in 1865.
He later moved it from the beach to its present . . . — — Map (db m107061) HM
On September 6, 1943, Michigan’s Republican United States Senator, Arthur H. Vandenberg, chaired the meeting of the Post War Advisory Council.
Republican National Committee Chairman, Harrison Spangler, created the council to draw up a foreign . . . — — Map (db m107071) HM
This is one of Michigan's oldest Protestant churches. It was built in 1829-30 by the Presbyterian flock of Rev. Wm. M. Ferry, founder in 1823 of a nearby Indian mission. Robert Stuart and Henry Schoolcraft were lay leaders. About 1838 private owners . . . — — Map (db m34913) HM
Nicolet Watch Tower
In Honor of
Who in 1634 passed through the Straits of Mackinac in a birch-bark canoe and
was the first white man to enter Michigan and the Old Northwest
Erected on behalf of the
State of . . . — — Map (db m107104) HM
The Post Cemetery is the final resting place for Fort Mackinac soldiers, their families and local officials.
Although the origin of the cemetery is lost in history, local lore from the nineteenth century suggests that both American and British . . . — — Map (db m107102) HM
The Round Island Lighthouse, seen south of this site, was completed in 1895. Operating under the auspices of the United States Government, this facility was in continuous use for fifty-two years. It was manned by a crew of three until its beacon was . . . — — Map (db m35151) HM
In 1670, Jesuit Father Charles Dablon founded a birchbark mission chapel on Mackinac Island. The following year, Father Jacques Marquette relocated the mission at Saint Ignace. Abandoned in 1706 and restablished at Fort Michilimackinac around 1715, . . . — — Map (db m96412) HM
In 1929, Park Commissioner Roger Andrews invited eight Eagle Scouts, including future President Gerald Ford, to serve as the “Governor’s Honor Guard” and tour guides at Fort Mackinac.
Scouts raised . . . — — Map (db m107087) HM
According to tradition this is the cave in which the English fur-trader Alexander Henry hid out during the Indian uprising of 1763. The floor of the cave, he claimed, was covered with human bones, presumably Indian. — — Map (db m34912) HM
During the summer of 1979 the movie Somewhere in Time was made on Mackinac Island. Starring Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer, the romantic fantasy tells the story of a man who wills himself back to 1912 to meet a woman . . . — — Map (db m131768) HM
Every winter ice provides a vital link to the mainland. Two hundred years ago British soldiers used teams of oxen to haul men and materials across the ice when they moved Fort Michilimackinac from the mainland to the island. In the later 1800s the . . . — — Map (db m131769) HM
Since the late nineteenth century people had dreamed of building a bridge to connect Michigan's two peninsulas. Those dreams became a reality in the 1950s when the booming postwar tourism economy and modern highway system made possible the Mackinac . . . — — Map (db m131770) HM
Designer of the Mackinac Bridge, firmly believed that man made structures should be beautiful. From this vantage point it is clear that he achieved his goal. It is to his memory that this plaque has been dedicated.
June 11, 1967 — — Map (db m105763) HM
French fishermen who came to Gros Cap (on the shore below) early last century also participated in its offshore settlement, St. Helena Island, where ships obtained wood fuel and other supplies. There in 1850, Archie and Wilson Newton set up a . . . — — Map (db m104025) HM
The Great Lakes are known for delicious freshwater fish.
Before the white man came, Native Indian tribes supplied their needs with fresh and dried fish from these lakes.
Later, others joined in the fishing business, many of them from the . . . — — Map (db m130127) HM
This lake, the sixth largest in the world, was discovered in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, who explored this north shore to Green Bay but found no Orientals as the French in Quebec had hoped he would. The general size and outline of the lake was established . . . — — Map (db m4439) HM
Designed by David B. Steinman, and representing a new level of aerodynamic stability in suspension bridges for its time, the Mackinac Bridge was the first suspension bridge to incorporate specific design features to manage the forces imposed on it . . . — — Map (db m105762) HM
Nicolet passed through the Straits in 1634 seeking a route to the Orient. Soon it became a crossroads where Indian, missionary, trapper, and soldier met. From the 1600's through the War of 1812 first Frenchman and Englishman, then Briton and . . . — — Map (db m101013) HM
Built and operated under the supervision of Grover C. Dillman, State Highway Commissioner, as a link of the State Highway System.
Ferry service first opened -1923- under the supervision of Frank F. Rogers, State Highway Commissioner, 1913-1929.
. . . — — Map (db m130090) HM
The four large cylinder shaped structures that you see in place out in the bay are called "mooring dolphins". A dolphin is "a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore". These particular dolphins were . . . — — Map (db m130123) HM
Here on West Moran Bay, a large 17th century Ottawa village was directly connected by trail and water with Michilimackinac center on Moran Bay, Lake Huron. Both bays were named for Trader Morin whose post was at this settlement. The original burial . . . — — Map (db m104013) HM
Prentiss Marsh Brown dreamed of what it would take to bridge the Mackinac Straits. He grew up in St. Ignace at the dawn of the 20th century and often gazed south across the Straits, a daunting stretch of cold, deep water. He could not know then . . . — — Map (db m105711) HM
When the Mackinac Bridge was constructed, a bell was placed at the base of each tower to guide approaching vessels during poor visibility. In March of 1961, a fog horn was installed. The bells have been silent ever since. On April 24, 2002, the . . . — — Map (db m105681) HM
Pere Marquette established in 1671 the Mission of St. Ignace. French troops soon after built Fort Buade. The state’s second oldest white village guarded the Straits while serving as the most important French fur post in the northwest. By 1706 both . . . — — Map (db m34970) HM
July 31, 1923 marked the beginning of a Straits ferry system, when the converted river boat “Ariel,” landed 20 autos at the St. Ignace center. Annual traffic increased to about one million cars, requiring 470 employees, new docks and a . . . — — Map (db m130095) HM
The boardwalk on which you are standing is constructed on what is affectionately referred to by local residents as the "Chief Dock". It is the previous home to the Chief Wawatam (Wa-wa'-tem), a hand-fired, coal burning train-car ferry built by the . . . — — Map (db m130100) HM
This rudder came from the shipwreck of the William H. Barnum, a wooden steamer lost April 3, 1894. While carrying a cargo of corn the aging Barnum was blocked and cut open by ice. No loss of life occurred.
William H. Barnum Length: 218' • . . . — — Map (db m130126) HM