Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Macomb County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Saint Clement Catholic Parish Building and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, July 1, 2017
Saint Clement Catholic Parish Building and Marker
Michigan (Macomb County), Center Line — L1903 — Saint Clement Catholic Parish
Priests from Detroit served the Catholics of Kunrod's Corner, present-day Center Line, from 1852 to 1857. In 1854 Saint Clement Catholic Parish was founded, and a church was erected on land sold to the Diocese of Detroit by Hermann and Magthalina . . . — Map (db m106224) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Center Line — L2174 — Saint Clement Cemetery
St. Clement Catholic Church served as the center of community life for the Belgian, German, Polish, French, and Irish Catholics who settled at Kunrod's Corner during the mid-nineteenth century. This cemetery originated as the parish's burying . . . — Map (db m106225) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Chesterfield Township — Heritage Acres
The Trinity Museum was originally established in 1964. It was designed as a general store and its intent was to represent the general stores in Chesterfield Township during the period 1880 - 1930. With time, the historical vision of . . . — Map (db m124376) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Chesterfield Township — L1962 — Kolping Chapel
Father Joseph Wuest established the Detroit Chapter of the Catholic Kolping Society in 1926. Wuest inscribed "Honor by means of untiring work," on a plaque for this chapel, which he built in 1932. Constructed of stones and shells sent from Kolping . . . — Map (db m123236) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Chesterfield Township — Neilsen Log Cabin
The log cabin was originally a weekend retreat for the Neilsen family and when they decided to sell the land the cabin was not included as the family wanted it kept intact. It was located on Campground and 29 Mile road in Washington Township and . . . — Map (db m124453) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Chesterfield Township — School District No. 1 Chesterfield Weller School
Elisha Weller owned the land on which the school was situated for many years. In May, 1831, Elisha purchased three 80 acre parcels of farm land in Chesterfield from the United States Government. To date, the earliest records which we have been able . . . — Map (db m124292) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Clinton Township — 1963 — Clinton Grove Cemetery
Established in 1855, the Clinton Grove Cemetery exhibits an exquisite array of funerary art in a wooded landscape. This combination of nature and monuments reflects the rural cemetery movement of the nineteenth century, which popularized park-like . . . — Map (db m32164) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Clinton Township — S142 — Moravian Road
In 1782 marauding American militia massacred nearly one hundred Christian Delaware Indians at their village in eastern Ohio. Seeking refuge, the Delaware settled on the Clinton River two and one-half miles north of here, on land granted by the . . . — Map (db m85632) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Davis — L804 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1844 the Reverend Jonathon Davis founded the Methodist Episcopal Church to serve the community of Davis, known then as the village of Brooklyn. In 1846 the congregation built the town's first church. The present one, which dates from 1895, is a . . . — Map (db m87612) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Eastpointe — L1706 — Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School
This school served children in Erin and Warren Townships from 1872 to 1921. Beginning in 1838, German farmer Christian Gerlach held classes in his home. During the 1840s a log building served as a classroom. In 1850 a red frame school was built. . . . — Map (db m122963) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Eastpointe — L2123 — Immanuel Methodist Episcopal Church
German immigrants began organizing Methodist churches in Michigan in 1846. In 1849 a small group founded the Immanuel Methodist Church in Roseville to serve Detroit's northeast side. In 1933, when the Roseville church was razed to widen Gratiot . . . — Map (db m124524) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Eastpointe — L2093 — St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Erin Township's German immigrants first worshipped together in a log church amid an oak forest in 1846. The following year the Reverend John Friedrich Winkler helped organize St. Peter's church as a "country church" near Detroit. This is the third . . . — Map (db m124572) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Fraser — L1957 — Baumgartner House
A native of Bavaria, John Baumgartner purchased this property in Erin Township in 1856, becoming one of Fraser's first landowners. Around 1866 he and his wife, Samantha, moved here with the first three of their seven children. In 1875 they erected . . . — Map (db m110795) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Fraser — Fire Apparatus Bell
The forest fire apparatus bell in America appeared in 1803 on a hose wagon owned by the Philadelphia Hose Company No. 1. A spring-operated clapper rang the bell as the wheels turned, and acted as the warning device. Fire engines to this day are . . . — Map (db m110869) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Fraser — L2278C — St. John Lutheran Church and Schools
Side 1 In 1864, local residents asked Pastor Herman Lemke of East Detroit to help them organize a Lutheran church in Fraser. That same year, they built a small wood frame building on land south of 14 Mile Road. Each week after Sunday service, . . . — Map (db m111062) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Fraser — The Baumgartner House 1875
This was the home of John & Samantha Baumgartner. John came to America from Bavaria. The beauty of this house is in its architecture, "Rundbogenstil", or "Round arched windows". The style was popular in Germany between 1840 and 1850. German . . . — Map (db m110825) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Meade — S2170 — Crawford Settlement Burying Ground
Revolutionary War veteran John Crawford and his wife, Ann, founded this cemetery in 1837. Ornate headstones exhibit trends in funerary art over two centuries, and the German script on markers reflects the migration of European immigrants after the . . . — Map (db m87681) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L575 — Carnegie Library
Mount Clemens Carnegie building was erected in 1904 and was the first Carnegie Library built in Macomb County. It is one out of 1,681 such libraries across the United States financed by Andrew Carnegie, the industrialist and philanthropist. The . . . — Map (db m85696) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L181 — Crocker House
The first mayor of Mount Clemens, Josua Dickinson, built this Italianate house in 1869. His daughter Katherine (1849-1882), the great-granddaughter of city founder Christian Clemens, and his son-in-law, George M. Crocker (1848-1918), moved into it . . . — Map (db m85660) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L412 — Grace Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Diocese of Michigan sent Edward Magee to Mount Clemens in 1849. The interest generated by this missionary visit culminated a year later when the Grace Episcopal congregation was formed. In December of that year Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m85763) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — 1925 — Methodist Episcopal Church
When this Collegiate Gothic Church, designed by Cleveland architect Herman W. Maurer, was dedicated during the week of of January 3, 1926, the Mount Clemens Daily Leader called it a "Monument to Unity of Action." Over a century earlier, in 1820, the . . . — Map (db m32093) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L643 — Mount Clemens Mineral Bath Industry
For seven decades, Mount Clemens was internationally renowned as a mineral bath resort city. In 1865 the first well was sunk to obtain brine for salt production. Because of the high cost of separating the salt from the various other minerals and . . . — Map (db m85658) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1344 — Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House
(Side 1) Opened in 1899, the Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House is the only building remaining from the Mount Clemens bath era. Beginning in 1870, people suffering from rheumatism, blood poisoning, diabetes and skin diseases, among . . . — Map (db m85643) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1939 — Saint Mary's School
(Side 1) In 1870 Father Camillius Maes of Saint Peter Parish erected Saint Mary's School on this lot, adjacent to the church. When the grammar school opened in that year, it was the first Catholic school in the city and in Macomb . . . — Map (db m85703) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1251 — Zion Church
Side 1 Organized on July 3, 1854, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was the first German Protestant congregation in Mount Clemens. Its founding trustees were John Rossow and Abraham Devantier from Prussia, John William Miller and Carsten . . . — Map (db m85723) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — Millstones
These stones were used in this mill from the time it opened in 1847 until 1890 when they were replaced by roller mills. These comprise one set, or "run", of stones with a bottom stationary stone ("bedstone") and a top, rotating stone ("runner"). At . . . — Map (db m88051) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — L1624 — Ray Township District No. 1 School
In 1863, Ray area farmers built what became known popularly as Mill School. Kindergarten through eighth grade students attended school here until 1953. That year the school district consolidated with Romeo School District and it transferred the . . . — Map (db m34018) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — L1389 — Religious Society Church
The First Religious Society of Ray organized in 1869 and built this church on land donated by Arad Freeman, a member of Ray's founding families. Known for a time as the Ray Union Church, it originally had a steeple, and was similar in design to the . . . — Map (db m34016) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — L2234 — Wolcott Mill
Wolcott Mill is among the oldest mills in Michigan. Built in the mid-1840s by the Arad Freeman family, early Macomb County settlers. It passed through several owners before Frederick Wolcott purchased it in 1878. The Wolcott family upgraded the . . . — Map (db m87660) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Richmond — John Donley Farm
During the Irish potato famine in the 1840s, a million people fled their homeland. Most came to America. Among them was 22 year old John Donley of Ballyporeen, County Tipperary. He landed in New York City in 1848. John leased and later . . . — Map (db m123717) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Richmond — L393 — Richmond Center for the Performing Arts
Built in 1887, this structure formerly served as the First Congregational Church. When the congregation merged with St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1973, it sold the building to the Richmond Community Theatre. That group adapted the . . . — Map (db m123721) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Richmond — L2049 — Sanford Stone / Weller House
Sanford Stone Sanford Stone (1828-1888) came to Richmond in 1843. In 1875 he platted "Sanford M. Stone's Addition to the village of Richmond," which included Jefferson and Washington Streets between Ferguson and Beebe. Stone held many . . . — Map (db m123722) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Richmond — Steam Engines--A Brief History
Horse drawn steam fire engines first appeared in the United States in the early 1850's. The steamers pumped 500 to 1,000 gallons of water per minute. They weighed as much as ten tons using three horses to pull them. Along with the steamers . . . — Map (db m123720) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — Electric Streetcars Romeo's Historic Movement
On November 18, 1899 the first electric streetcar arrived in Romeo. It moved up a track in the center of Main Street, connected by long rods to overhead electrical lines. Later, it turned west on St. Clair Street to the new Detroit United . . . — Map (db m123383) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — From the Foundry Fires Engine Blocks for Ford's Model T
Romeo's foundry industry was well-established when Lyman Holmes contacted Ford Motor Company in 1907. Ford was having problems getting engine parts for the Model N automobile from foundries in Detroit. Holmes managed the Romeo Foundry, that . . . — Map (db m123458) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — Helen Starkweather 1903 - 1987
A lifelong resident of the Village of Romeo and art instructor in our local schools, Helen bequeathed her home to the community to be used as an art and historical center "dedicated to promoting and fostering an appreciation of local art and . . . — Map (db m123540) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — Many Tools and Many Tasks The C. Craig Blacksmith Museum
This shop has sheltered many types of work over the years. Built on its original South Bailey Street site in 1864, its owners included a tinsmith and a furniture upholsterer. Later, blacksmith Clyde Craig worked in the building for 50 . . . — Map (db m123327) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — L927 — Simpson Park Campground
Side 1 In the early nineteenth century Methodists began holding camp meetings, an outgrowth of their early revivals. Revival services were held during the winter months, and late summer was generally reserved for the district camp meeting. . . . — Map (db m123303) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — The Village Park
During the 1820's and 1830's pioneers from New York state and New England brought their cultural heritage to this community *** They and later settlers built homes and other structures of architectural distinction which qualified Romeo to be . . . — Map (db m123471) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — L1424 — Village of Romeo
Originally known as Indian Village, Romeo was platted in 1830 on the former winter campgrounds of a band of Chippewa Indians. Nathaniel Taylor, Ashael Bailey and a Major Larned laid out the village, which was incorporated in 1838. Named Romeo by . . . — Map (db m123372) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — Wooden Wheels Romeo Grows with its Carriage Industry
Romeo was a world of wheels, long before the automobile. In the mid-1800s, a carriage industry developed here which was responsible for much of the prosperity of the Village of Romeo. This is still seen in the beautiful old homes built . . . — Map (db m123364) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — A Plank Road History Gratiot Avenue and "The Junction"
There had to be a better way to travel through the countryside when Michigan was young. In the mid-1800s, the new Gratiot Turnpike between Detroit and Mt. Clemens was a swampy and rutted dirt road. To improve things, in 1846 the State of . . . — Map (db m120549) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — L906 — Erin United Presbyterian Church
Under the leadership of the Reverend Harry N. Bissell of Mount Clemens, several families organized the First Presbyterian Church of Erin in 1860. The original thirteen members held their first services in a small schoolhouse. They were the first . . . — Map (db m110738) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — Frenchy's Auto Parts Helping Hands for the Roseville Community
During World War II, new cars were not available and people came to Frenchy's Auto Parts to keep their cars running. Owners Dumitru and Anna Simionescu experienced difficulties — rebuilding from a 1949 fire and financial struggles . . . — Map (db m120723) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — Packard Field in Roseville From Airport to Shopping Center
Ground was broken here in many ways. At this site along Gratiot Avenue, Michigan's first commercial airport was established in 1919, and in 1954 Michigan's first shopping center opened here. Packard Motor Car Company, a leading American . . . — Map (db m120651) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — Rapid Railway Company and Its Interurban Stops in Roseville
Interurban service became the most successful mode of transportation through Roseville in the early 1900s. Starting in 1895, the Rapid Railway Company ran electric interurbans along Gratiot Avenue between Detroit and Mt. Clemens, a . . . — Map (db m120631) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — L1354 — Sacred Heart Church
On June 1, 1861, the Reverend Amandus Van Den Driessche, from the Detroit Diocese, helped establish a Catholic mission at Utica Junction (now Roseville). The Sacred Heart mission, composed of Irish, German, Belgian and French families, completed its . . . — Map (db m110679) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — Watching the Big Show at the Gratiot Drive-In Theater
The outdoor theater was a delightful landmark in Roseville and in the memories of people who enjoyed the Gratiot Drive-In for 36 years. It first opened in 1948 and offered entertainment until it closed in September 1984. People fondly . . . — Map (db m120666) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Township — L3048 — Utica Cemetery
John and Mary Stead deeded 4.46 acres of land to the Utica Cemetery Association in 1863. Included in that parcel was a section referred to as the "Old Burying Ground" and a family plot called "Stead's Reserve." The first burial occurred in 1817 upon . . . — Map (db m118901) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — L705 — Blossom Heath Inn
Matthew Kramer, a hotelier and yachtsman, built this roadhouse in 1911, naming it the Kramerhof. In 1920 the building was sold to William McIntosh, who renamed it the Blossom Heath Inn and added two large wings, which included an ornate ballroom. . . . — Map (db m102498) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — S520 — Lake St. Clair (Lac Sainte Claire)
French explorers discovered and named Lake Saint Clair on August 12, 1679. Among the party of 34 men were voyageur Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle and Roman Catholic friar Father Louis Hennepin. Aboard the Griffon, the first sailing . . . — Map (db m102458) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — S473 — Milk River Settlement
The strip of land at the mouth of the Milk River was named Pointe a Guignolet for a grape-link berry that the French fermented into brandy. It later became known as Gaukler Point. The 1702 map of Lac Sainte Claire, attributed to . . . — Map (db m102506) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — L618 — Selinsky-Green Log House
In 1868, when this area was covered with small farms, Prussian immigrants John and Mary Selinsky bought farm land in Erin Township and built this salt-box house using solid log construction covered with clapboard. The Selinskys gave the house to . . . — Map (db m102473) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), St. Clair Shores — L2071 — Shore Line Interurban Railway
The Detroit, Lake Shore, and Mt. Clemens Railway, also known as the Shore Line, began interurban rail service on September 28, 1898. The twenty-six mile route from Detroit followed Jefferson Avenue through Grosse Pointe and St. Clair Shores to . . . — Map (db m102489) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Sterling Heights — S0309 — Holcombe Beach
Near this site in 1961 archaeologists from the Aboriginal Research Club and the University of Michigan uncovered evidence of an early Paleo-Indian settlement. Here about 11,000 years ago these first prehistoric dwellers in the Great Lakes region . . . — Map (db m34227) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Sterling Heights — L1127 — Upton House
Side 1 Constructed in 1866-67, the William Upton House is one of the oldest surviving nineteenth-century brick dwellings in Sterling Heights. Italianate in style, the house features a reconstructed open porch topped by a second story . . . — Map (db m79392) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Utica — L1799 — St. Lawrence Parish of Utica
In May 1866 the Reverend Amandus VanDenDriessche of Detroit recited Utica's first Catholic Mass. Forty Irish families at Utica Junction (present-day Roseville) formed what became a mission of Sacred Heart Parish. On August 15, 1874, Bishop C. H. . . . — Map (db m118891) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Arsenal Acres ca: 1941
This 5.6-acre site originally housed seven living quarters for Naval Officers serving the adjacent Naval Ordinance Plant in World War II. In January 1960, the housing units were transferred to the Army for use by Officers assigned to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m107296) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Base Line Feed Store ca: 1877
The Abstract Deed for this property dates back to 1833 and the current building was constructed about 1877. Joseph Verheye bought the building in 1939 and started the "Base Line Feed Store" with ONE bag of corn. Verheye introduced the first . . . — Map (db m106144) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Bunert-Weier Farm
Gottlieb and Susan Bunert bought the 80 acre farm in 1849. They built a log cabin, dug a well and started to farm. Their daughter's (Wilhelmine) diary stated the brick house was built in 1876, barn in 1883 and the carriage garage in 1892. . . . — Map (db m78829) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — 674 — Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant
Side A In 1940 the U.S. Army and the Chrysler Corporation hired Detroit architect Albert Kahn to design a self-contained tank plant. Kahn specialized in factories. In 1941 he designed 20 million square feet of defense plants. The first tank . . . — Map (db m101995) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L392 — Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery
Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery was organized in 1925 to serve the rapidly expanding post-war Detroit black population. Concerned with the indignities and poor quality of service received by the black community, several distinguished Detroiters . . . — Map (db m87801) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — First Baptist Church of Warren
This white frame pioneer church is one of the oldest buildings in the village of Warren. Remarkably the structure, as it stands, is of the original construction and materials. The church, built in 1857 by the Methodist congregation, was . . . — Map (db m91428) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — S676 — General Motors Technical Center
An American icon of modern architecture, the General Motors (GM) Technical Center stands as a model corporate research and development park. Thirty-one buildings were constructed between 1949 and 1985. Conceived in 1944 by Board of Directors . . . — Map (db m87767) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Gillett - Beer Farm
Peter & Sally Gillett moved to Warren Township from New York in 1832, buying 82 acres of land from the government. Part of the current house was built before 1840. Peter sold a portion of land to the First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1845 as a . . . — Map (db m67921) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — S284 — Governor Alex J. Groesbeck
Son of a pioneer Dutch-French family, Groesbeck was born in Warren Township near the corner of Mound and Twelve Mile Roads in 1872. His father's election as sheriff in 1880 caused the family to move to Mount Clemens. In 1893 Alex graduated from the . . . — Map (db m87766) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Grist Mill
This is the site of the old Grist Mill built by John and Dave Wilson in the late 1890's. In 1911 A.V. Church bought the Mill and later sold it to the Farm Bureau. In 1922 a group of Farm Bureau members organized the Co Operative Co. and the . . . — Map (db m106007) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Murthum-Vander Vlucht House 1895
This farm house was built in 1895. The architectural design is a combination of Greek Revival & Queen Anne (noted by the gables, dental moldings, fish scale shingles and fret work). The house originally sat 200 ft. E. from it's current . . . — Map (db m107289) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Norman J. Halmich Park
After their immigration from Germany to America in 1851, the Halmich family owned several farms in and around Warren. The largest portion of what is now Halmich Park was a cattle farm owned by the Charles Halmich family. The property was sold . . . — Map (db m67919) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the . . . — Map (db m106084) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the . . . — Map (db m106087) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run Creek
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the pathway that . . . — Map (db m106082) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Red Run Creek
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run Creek, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the early pioneers followed by canoe. The Red Run provided the pathway that . . . — Map (db m106083) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — St. Paul United Church of Christ
About 1850 a small group, representing the Warren Township Outpost of St. Peter's Evangelical Church of Halfway, met in the old Methodist Church across Mound Road. In 1864 they organized as St. Paul Evangelical Church. This sanctuary was built in . . . — Map (db m106001) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Behrns-Qualmann Farmhouse
German immigrant Joachim Behrns (1808-1888) settled here in 1854. The one-story portion predates 1856, with additions in 1861 and c. 1900. In 1902 son Henry Behrns (1849-1930) sold the farm to the family of his farmhand William Qualmann (1885-1983) . . . — Map (db m106226) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Claeys House
This elaborate brick and stone house was built in 1936 - 37 for Henry L. Claeys. Mr. Claeys had the well-digging and plumbing supply business which he started in 1904. In 1920 he sold the well digging machines and went into the wholesale supply . . . — Map (db m108180) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Flynn House 1865
This large frame house was built in 1865 by a family named Jones. In 1889, Dr. Flynn bought it and his family continued to live here until 1951. Dr. John C. Flynn, born in New York in 1850, came to the Warren Village in 1880 and was the only . . . — Map (db m106005) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Hoard House 1889
Gurton Hoard built the original frame building as a hotel in 1889, since this area was a days buggy ride from the Utica area to Detroit. The house also served as the location of the first village meeting place. After Mr. Hoards death the house . . . — Map (db m105950) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L1727 — The John Theisen House
Built c. 1857 — Map (db m106145) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Joiner House 1895 Warren's First Library 1935
This house was built in 1895 by Robert and Eliza Joiner. Owners to date have included the Seibert, Brinkert, Bull, Zorn, McCallum, DeGrandchamp and Trzaskoma families. In 1935 Warren's first library was located in the parlor of this house. Through . . . — Map (db m91414) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — The Wilson-Bosh Home 1892
In 1843 Charles Davy bought 40 acres of land from public auction for $65.00. The auction was conducted to pay the debts of the estate of Orson Gibbs. This 40 acres contained the west half of what later became Beebe's Corners. In 1848 Charles Davy . . . — Map (db m91419) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — 1654 — Warren Township District No. 4 School
This building was commonly names Bunert School, for August and Mine Bunert, who sold land to Warren School District No. 4 in January 1875. The school was built later that year on the northeast cornet of the intersection of Bunert and Martin roads. . . . — Map (db m77790) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L1774 — Warren Union Cemetery
In 1845 pioneer farmer Peter Gillete sold a parcel of land to eighteen families for use a burial ground. The Warren Union Cemetery Association was organized in 1852 to maintain the cemetery, which consists of two and one-quarter acres. Some of the . . . — Map (db m67918) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Warren Village Hall
The Warren Village Hall was built originally in 1922 to house the offices of the village officials and serve as the voting place for village residents.
The west side of the building housed the Warren Community Library from 1949 to 1957.
Map (db m91431) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Washington — L104 — Loren Andrus House
(side 1) Loren Andrus (1816-1901) came to Macomb County from New York State in 1828. He served as an assistant engineer on the survey of the Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal, but gained prominence in agricultural work. In particular he . . . — Map (db m120833) HM

85 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement