John Gurney Park
Former state senator Theron Gurney and his wife, Helen, donated land to the village of Hart in 1912 for a park to honor their son, Lieutenant John Gurney (1871-1898), a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at . . . — — Map (db m106965) HM
Here the Petite Pointe Au Sable (little point of sand) juts into Lake Michigan. Increased shipping on the lake started after the Civil War, largely due to the expanding lumber industry. Consequently, this isolated point became the . . . — — Map (db m107009) HM
1869 S. A. Browne opened a 24' x 80' expansion with groceries to the existing 20' x 50' building
1872 First brick building erected in Pentwater
1874 The "Oceana Times" used this building to produce their newspaper
1880 - 1928 . . . — — Map (db m107158) HM
1800's Mr. Bougas Livery Stable business
1915 David Eisenlohr purchased the building and continued the livery business and used a portion for auto parts and repairs
1920 Remodeled, installed gas pump and reopened as a full . . . — — Map (db m107324) HM
Graveyard of Ships
The twenty-mile span of Lake Michigan between Little Point Sable, at Silver Lake, and Big Point Sable, north of Ludington, has earned a reputation as the "Graveyard of Ships." Beginning with the loss of the . . . — — Map (db m106970) HM
1887* Thomas Collister built the largest and only three story building at the time
1888 Building sold to Charles Mears who opened a general store
1899- 1920 Crescent Drug Store
1922-1937 Charles F. Lewis Hardware
. . . — — Map (db m107299) HM
1899 — The Corner Drug Store was owned by D. G. Weare for many years but was owned by F. W. Fincher when it was destroyed by the 1889 fire.
1891 - F. W. Fincher rebuilt this two story and basement building known as The Corner Drug . . . — — Map (db m107206) HM
Prior to 1887 Sands & Maxwell owned the two story framed blacksmith/wagon shop.
1887 Jonathan Halstead covered the wooden walls and erected two brick buildings, manufacturing carriages, wagons and sleighs.
1893-1895 It became . . . — — Map (db m107127) HM
1884 Lot was bought by Mr. Klingbeil
1886 Labonta & Metro built the wood framed store, veneered with Pentwater brick and installed a metal roof.
1887 Mr. Klingbeil ran a Merchant, Tailor and Drapery Store
1905 Mr. Carney . . . — — Map (db m107304) HM
What is now a park-like shore along the lake was the heart of Pentwater's industrial district during the lumbering era. Today's grass replaced many large neat stacks of newly sawn lumber awaiting shipment. Lumber was the principal outgoing cargo . . . — — Map (db m107195) HM
If you stood on this spot in 1866 you would have been in the midst of a bustling lumber town, boasting three sawmills, two shingle mills, one barrel-stave mill, a planing mill, and one foundry. Tall stacks of drying lumber covered all available . . . — — Map (db m107141) HM
1875 Pentwater's first church built in 1866 was destroyed by fire. Parishoners from that Methodist church planned to rebuild.
The new church was designed by Grand Rapids architects Robins and Barnaby at a cost of $3,500.
. . . — — Map (db m107305) HM
1891 — Mr. G. A. Williams of Chicago submitted to the people of Pentwater a proposal to build a summer Resort hotel costing $75,000 and $10,000 for furnishing it. In return, the Village would donate the site and give $15,000 towards it. It . . . — — Map (db m107215) HM