Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Otsego County Michigan Historical Markers

 
First Congregational Church and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., July 8, 2010
First Congregational Church and Marker
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — L1635 — First Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church is the oldest congregation in Gaylord. In 1874 the Reverend James McKay founded it as a mission church with twenty-one members. It was officially organized three years later. In 1878 the Reverend Abram Van Auken . . . — Map (db m33351) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — Gaylord, Michigan
Settled in the year 1874 by the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw Railroad, the new community was named for Augustine Smith Gaylord, an attorney for the railroad. Born in Jefferson, Ohio in 1831, he started the Saginaw Public School System in 1851. He . . . — Map (db m33369) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — 219 — Otsego County
First named Okkuddo when it was set off in 1840, this county was renamed Otsego in 1843 after a New York county and lake of that name. It is said to mean "clear water." Settlement did not begin until the late 1860's when lumbering was started. . . . — Map (db m33370) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — 2149 — St. Mary's Catholic Church
St. Mary's Church began as a mission of the Catholic diocese of Grand Rapids. The first church was built around 1884. The parish grew to become a predominantly Polish congregation while under the pastorate of Father Casimir Skory (1892-1905). In . . . — Map (db m33374) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement