Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Saint Joseph County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Rear Panel of Monument image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2014
Rear Panel of Monument
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — Centreville Civil War Monument
. . . — Map (db m74941) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — Culbertson Cemetery
The Culbertsons owned all the land south and east of this point to the river from 1835-1983. Carroll Culbertsons estate designated burial rights to the families of 3 devisees who still use the cemetery. This cemetery was illustrated in . . . — Map (db m61711) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — L56 — Langley Covered Bridge
This is the longest of Michigan's few remaining covered bridges. It is 282 feet long with three, 94-foot spans of the Howe-truss construction. The bridge was built in 1887 by Pierce (?) Bodner of Parkville, using the best quality white pine for the . . . — Map (db m64539) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — L2201 — Leverett and Amanda Clapp House
This Italianate style house was built in 1879-80 for Leverett and Amanda Hampson Clapp, who were among Centreville’s most prominent citizens. The 1880 tax rolls listed this house as the most valuable residence in Centreville. Amanda (1840-1931) . . . — Map (db m72998) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — One Hundredth Anniversary of Centreville
Erected in Commemoration of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Founding of the Village of Centreville 1831 – 1931 — Map (db m72981) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — L1150A — St. Joseph County Courthouse
(Front Side) Michigan Territorial Governor George B. Porter proclaimed Centreville the St. Joseph County seat on November 22, 1831. On November 7, 1831, Robert Clark Jr., Electra W. Dean, Charles Noble and Daniel B. Miller donated the . . . — Map (db m64540) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — St. Joseph County Veterans Memorial1999
As They Died to Make Mankind Free, Let Us Live to Complete the Task Veterans of World War I Austin, Harold Darwin • Baer, Clyde Cicero • Becker, Gustav G. • Behan, William J. • Blood, Robert B. • Brown, Arthur Floyd • Cole, Harold . . . — Map (db m72997) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Centreville — L238 — Stewart House
This handsome L-shaped residence retains the characteristics of Greek Revival architecture and features symmetrically placed windows flanked by distinctive pilaster trim. It was constructed in the 1840s by Daniel and Alexander Stewart who were . . . — Map (db m64728) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Colon — L526 — Colon / Harry Blackstone
(Obverse Side) Colon Known as the “Magic Capital of the World,” this small town has gained widespread recognition for the invention and manufacture of magic tricks. Colon's reputation as a magic mecca began after . . . — Map (db m64551) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Constantine — Constantine Civil War Monument
Constantine to her Soldiers 1861—1865 — Map (db m72979) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Constantine — Constantine Tribute to Veterans of All Wars
A Tribute to Veterans of All Wars World War I Arthur Stears • Welch Hull • Elmer Boyer • George E. Milner Jr. World War II Richard Bickel • Jerold Bonebright • Max Beesley • Ralph Greager • Pauline Guffey • James . . . — Map (db m74954) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Constantine — L1190A — Constantine United Methodist Church
Methodism began in Meek's Mill (Constantine) in 1829 when the Reverend Erastus Felton came from the Ohio Methodist Episcopal Conference as a circuit rider to the St. Joseph Mission. This congregation, the earliest in Constantine, was organized in . . . — Map (db m64543) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Constantine — Gov. John S. Barry
Memorial to Gov. John S. Barry Born – 1802 Died – 1870 Governor of Michigan 1842 — 1844 — 1850 Statesman - Lawyer - Merchant This tablet marks site of his store and ware house where steam . . . — Map (db m75112) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Constantine — John Stewart Barry
Here resided from 1835 to 1849 John Stewart Barry Governor of Michigan, 1843-46; 1850-52    He was born January 29, 1802, in Amherst, New Hampshire; came to White Pigeon in 1831; to Constantine in 1834; kept a general store and . . . — Map (db m73001) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Constantine — William MeekFounder of Constantine 1829
William Meek came to the area in 1828 from Ohio. In 1829, he purchased 121 acres where the Fawn River joins the St. Joseph River. His family came in 1829, as did four others. In 1831 the Village was platted. Meek built a grist mill and a saw mill. . . . — Map (db m75254) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Leonidas — Leonidas Civil War Monument
In Honor of The Brave Men Who From Leonidas Bore Some Loyal Part In The Great Civil War 1861—1865 World War II Sgt. Gordon B. Culp 1920     1944 — Map (db m74957) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Mendon — Mendon World War II Memorial
In Memory Of Our Boys Who Died And In Honor Of Those Who Served In World War II. — Map (db m74960) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Mottville — S576A — Mottville Bridge
(Front Side) The Great Sauk Trail, which connected Detroit, Chicago and Green Bay, Wisconsin, crossed the St. Joseph River at a shallow spot in this vicinity. Responding to the westward migration of pioneers, the federal government . . . — Map (db m64545) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Sturgis — L2169 — Sturges-Young Auditorium
The Sturges-Young Auditorium opened in 1955 to fanfare and celebration. The 986-seat multipurpose facility was much larger than would be expected for a small community like Sturgis. Spurred by private donations, the city began construction on the . . . — Map (db m64548) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Sturgis — Sturgis Prairie
Place of First Settlement Sturgis Prairie By Judge John Sturgis And Family August 1827 Donated by their Descendants Erected by the Womans Club 1915 — Map (db m75057) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — Eschol
Pioneer Village Platted 1833 Erected by Abiel Fellows Chapter D.A.R. Oct. 1925 — Map (db m75319) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — French Trading Post
Hereabouts stood the old French trading post kept by Cassoway and Gibson. When the first white settlers came to Three Rivers in 1829. This post was probably established before the Revolutionary War. The French traded with the Indians of the St. . . . — Map (db m75113) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — L1315C — Historic District
The Downtown Three Rivers Commercial Historic District has one of the best-preserved Victorian streetscapes in southwestern Michigan. Three Rivers, settled in the 1830s, grew with the development of local water power and a railroad in the 1850s. St. . . . — Map (db m64542) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — Moab
Pioneer Village Platted 1836 — Map (db m73014) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — L1044A — Old Three Rivers Public Library
Built in 1904, this structure served as a public library for seventy-five years. Financed by an Andrew Carnegie grant, it was designed by A.W. Rush & Co. and built by H.V. Snyder & Son. Warren J. Willits donated the site. The exterior pink granite . . . — Map (db m64547) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — Site of Legendary Battle
Site of Legendary Battle between the Shawnee and Federated Indian Tribes in 1802 — Map (db m61722) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — L400 — Sue Silliman House
(Front Side) Arthur Silliman deeded this property named “Riversbye” to his daughter Sue in 1914. Sue Silliman was Three Rivers librarian and historian for forty-two years. During that time she also served on national, state, . . . — Map (db m64541) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — S150 — Three Rivers
Here the Rocky and Portage rivers join the winding St. Joseph River. Many centuries before the coming of the white man the junction of these water routes made this a favorite camping site for Indians. La Salle came through the region in 1680 on his . . . — Map (db m64727) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — Three Rivers Civil War Monument
(West Panel) Appomattox • Stone River • Antietam • Chickamauga • Fredericksburg • Missionary Ridge • Chancellorsville • Reseca • Cold Harbor • Tebbs Bend • Petersburg • Perryville • Hatchers Run • Knoxville • Five Forks • Franklin • . . . — Map (db m75332) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — Three Rivers Soldiers Memorial
On this Memorial Site Forever Set Apart and Maintained by Riverside Cemetery Association There has been Erected this St. Joseph County Native Boulder By Ed. M. Prutzman Post G.A.R. and Woman’s Relief Corps Citizens Generously . . . — Map (db m75266) WM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), Three Rivers — Three Rivers Town Cannon
(Front Side) Before the Civil War local militias in Michigan were supplied with arms and equipment donated by the Federal Government under the Militia Act of 1808. During the Mexican War (1845-47) the army's new artillery system was . . . — Map (db m61720) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), White Pigeon — L1521 — Chief Wahbememe Burial Site
Side 1 Potawatomi Chief Wahbememe (White Pigeon) was a signer of the 1795 Treaty of Greenville, which placed Michigan Great Lakes forts in U.S. hands. The chief was known as a friend to the white settlers in Michigan. According to legend, . . . — Map (db m47179) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), White Pigeon — 23 — Conveying MichiganMichigan Legal Milestone
Standing on this site since Andrew Jackson was president of the United States, the building where the White Pigeon Land Office conducted business from 1831 to 1834 is one of the historic treasures of Michigan. From this building, title to much of . . . — Map (db m61725) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), White Pigeon — In Memory of Wahbememe
In Memory of Wahbememe Chief White Pigeon who about 1830 gave his life to save the settlement at this place. — Map (db m73074) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), White Pigeon — L1205 — U.S. Land Survey Office
Signed on August 29, 1821, the Treaty of Chicago resulted in the Potawatomi and other tribes in southwestern Michigan Territory turning over their lands to the federal government. In 1831, after the land was surveyed, the government opened this . . . — Map (db m64544) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), White Pigeon — White Pigeon Fallen Soldiers Memorial
“These Gave Their Last Full Measure”      World War I Pvt Robert E. Swartz     Sep 23, 1918      World War II S2C Lyle E. Burdick       Sep 24, 1942 PFC Arthur R. Gowker        Feb 21, 1944 SGT Richard L. . . . — Map (db m73055) WM

36 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement