This Pump Jack is typical of the many that were in operation in Bloomingdale in the late 30's and early 40's.
On August 13th, 1938, after several days of drilling on the Wiggins Farm, which borders the village on the north, the Fisher McCall . . . — — Map (db m69950) HM
Bloomingdale Oil Boom
This 90 ft, 1930's era oil derrick is typical of the many drilling rigs that occupied the landscapes around bloomingdale during the late 1930's.
It was originally located in Mt. Pleasant, . . . — — Map (db m69929) HM
all Veterans, men
and women who have
served our country
in peace and war.
will never die.
In memory of the
of all wars.
Erected by . . . — — Map (db m69952) WM
Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad
On April 14, 1869, Kalamazoo businessmen filed articles of incorporation establishing the Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad Company. Final construction on the line was completed in . . . — — Map (db m69951) HM
This structure was the township's first commercial building and an integral part of Covert's development. In 1871 Packard and Sons Lumbering Company hired Will Frary to build a general store. Under George Michel's proprietorship from 1885 to 1915, . . . — — Map (db m69956) HM
The citizens of Covert
Township with solemn
pride and reverent
gratitude honor those
who gave their lives
to win World War II
1941 — 1945
William O. Bigoness Jr.
Walter J. Fitch
Edward H. Hecker
George E. Husek . . . — — Map (db m69958) WM
Constructed at the turn of the century, this building replaced the original 1870 township hall. A Georgian Revival brick and stone structure, it was dedicated on September 19, 1901. Besides township activities, the hall has been the setting for . . . — — Map (db m68410) HM
Hamilton Grange Hall
Local farmers organized Hamilton Grange No. 355 in 1874 and built this hall the following year. Lacking a town center, area residents congregated at the hall, which hosted elections and . . . — — Map (db m68413) HM
This two and a half story brick building was constructed in 1884 as the county poorhouse and infirmary. Here lived the indigent and mentally retarded from Van Buren County. Able-bodied residents worked on the grounds and on the adjacent farm where . . . — — Map (db m44795) HM
Grape growing began in Lawton in 1868 when A.B. Jones planted 100 vines. By 1900 many eastern Van Buren County farmers converted their land to vineyards. In 1903 the Lawton Vineyard Company built a winery on this site, which William C. Houppert . . . — — Map (db m68432) HM
Dedicated in honor to the life of Charles R. Maxwell
Born in Lawton, MI April 8, 1927. Charlie was the youngest of four children of Tom and Isa Maxwell. He graduated from Lawton High School and received a baseball . . . — — Map (db m68437) HM
This building opened as the Paw Paw Public Library on June 26, 1920. Jackson architect Claire Allen designed the library, as well as the nearby county courthouse. Pennsylvania industrialist Andrew Carnegie donated $10,000 toward construction and . . . — — Map (db m68434) HM
St. Mark's Church
St. Mark's parish, organized at the county courthouse on February 22, 1851, is Paw Paw's oldest Episcopal congregation. The Reverend Voltaire Spaulding conducted the first service in a vacant . . . — — Map (db m68435) HM
One of the three great east-west routes of pioneer days, the Territorial Road from Detroit to St. Jos tapped the rich lands of the second "tier" of counties. Approved in 1829, the road was not surveyed through Van Buren County until 1835. Although . . . — — Map (db m68436) HM
Van Buren County
Settlers attracted by lumbering came to this area in the 1830s. By the 1860s a mild climate, rich soil and easy access to the Chicago markets created a thriving fruit industry in Van Buren County. The county was one of . . . — — Map (db m59383) HM
Completed in 1898, this structure was built as a waterworks station for the village of Paw Paw. Water from artesian wells powered the plant, first by steam and after 1908 by hydro-electricity. In the 1920s the wells were capped, and the structure . . . — — Map (db m59387) HM
This memorial is dedicated to the life of William Killefer Jr.
Born in Bloomingdale, MI, October 10, 1887 and moved to Paw Paw (1888). "Reindeer Bill" Killefer played catcher for Paw Paw HS state champions of . . . — — Map (db m68382) HM
During the Korean War, Corporal Duane Edgar Dewey of the 2nd Battalion 5th Marines from South Haven, was the first person to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor from then President Eisenhower. He earned the nationís highest award for heroism on . . . — — Map (db m61712) HM WM
This is the birthplace and early home of Dr. Liberty Hyde Bailey, South Haven's most distinguished son.
As a very young man he became interested in plants and trees. This interest and knowledge constantly grew until he became the nation's . . . — — Map (db m59421) HM
This property, known as the Bailey Home, was purchased from Liberty Bailey, father of Dr. Liberty Hyde Bailey, by Frank E. Warner in 1918. Mr. Warner made this his home until his death in 1926.
Mr. Warner was a pioneer fruit grower of this . . . — — Map (db m59420) HM
In 1906 the South Haven School District built this four-room school in Ward 2. The school, designed by Hussey and White of Lansing, was constructed at a cost of approximately $7,000. It was named for local businessman and school board president E.H. . . . — — Map (db m69992) HM
The Haven peach varieties were developed here by Michigan State University's South Haven Experiment Station, under the direction of Professor Stanley Johnston. From 1924 to 1963, eight yellow-fleshed freestone varieties were selected from more than . . . — — Map (db m59418) HM
This school was built for Ward One of the South Haven School District in 1898. Constructed at a cost of nearly $5,000 by William Buck, the handsome two-story building was designed by Frank S. Allen. It later took its name from the street on which it . . . — — Map (db m69989) HM
The world-famous botanist and horticulturist, Liberty Hyde Bailey, was born in this frame house. Here in wilderness surroundings he learned of wild animals and plants and attended the local village school. He graduated from Michigan Agricultural . . . — — Map (db m59419) HM
This federated women's club, founded as a reading circle in 1883 and named for Sir Walter Scott, merged with the Literary and Antiquarian Societies to build a clubhouse in 1892. John Cornelius Randall designed the sandstone Queen Anne structure, . . . — — Map (db m69991) HM