The Grand Army of the Republic (the GAR) was organized by Civil War veterans. The Cannon Falls George McKinley GAR Post #92 closed its minutes on February 1, 1897, with this note: "We Must Have a Gun." Its members were . . . — — Map (db m46821) HM
Col. 1st Regt. Minn. Vols.
Born April 5, 1830.
Died June 12, 1905.
In Memory Of
Colonel William Colvill and the 1st Reg. Minn. Vols. which he commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg on July . . . — — Map (db m46813) HM
Built to the Glory of God
by Gen. Nathaniel C. McLean
and Consecrated October 27th
by Bishop Henry Whipple.
This church has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the . . . — — Map (db m45602) HM
On the shore of Lake Pepin just north of here a French expedition commanded by LaPerriere and accompanied by two Jesuits in September 1727 built a substantial log fort and the mission of St. Michael the Archangel. The post was occupied periodically . . . — — Map (db m45242) HM
This scenic Mississippi River site provided Native Americans food, shelter, and transportation for over 9,000 years. Count Frontenac, the Governor of New France, sponsored the first European explorers to this area in 1680. James (Bully) Wells . . . — — Map (db m47158) HM
Lake Pepin's Shell Game
Celebrated today as a resort area, Lake Pepin had an earlier fame as a clamming center. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, more than 500 clammers worked the lake from their flat-bottomed johnboats, using giant . . . — — Map (db m51948) HM
In the 1857 town plat of Frontenac (then called Westervelt), Wakondiota Park was designated as two blocks long, one block wide, and located at what is now the Christ Episcopal Church site. When the town was renamed in 1859, the park was moved one . . . — — Map (db m47877) HM
"The most beautiful prospect that imagination can form," wrote 18th century explorer Jonathan Carver about the view from Barn Bluff. "Verdant plains, fruitful meadows, and numerous islands abound with the most varied trees.... But above all, . . . — — Map (db m24816) HM
The construction of this building began in 1904 following an agreement in which the city of Red Wing provided trackage concessions and the railroad agreed to construct this depot and donate money toward construction of Levee Park. This building was . . . — — Map (db m49097) HM
During the great ice ages the landscape of Minnesota was profoundly altered by continental glaciers in four major epochs of glaciation. In this area, as elsewhere, the closing stage of each epoch was characterized by the release of floods of . . . — — Map (db m45869) HM
Citizens of Red Wing have long sought convenient access to the summit of Mt. La Grange (Barn Bluff) to enjoy the impressive view of the Mississippi valley.
In 1889 local civic leader C.C. Webster promoted the construction of a path up the west . . . — — Map (db m24890) HM
This bold bluff was a landmark for French explorers who named it Mt. La Grange for its resemblance to a large barn.
Some 10,000 years ago meltwater from the glaciers carved a deep channel in this area. Barn Bluff became an island in the . . . — — Map (db m24982) HM
Launched from Red Wing, the National Newspaper Association has been the voice and vehicle of grassroots American journalism for 100 years.
NNA was founded as the National Editorial Assn. but was renamed in 1965. Today it embraces . . . — — Map (db m46972) HM
In Memory of the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines
Spanish American War, who Volunteered in the Cause of
Freedom, Patriotism, and Humanity.
Dedicated by the
Department of Minnesota Auxiliary
United . . . — — Map (db m52401) HM
Theodore B. Sheldon, prominent local grain merchant and business leader, bequeathed to the City of Red Wing half of his estate to be used for a public purpose. After his death in 1900, his trustees chose to construct the T.B. Sheldon Memorial . . . — — Map (db m47739) HM
The G.A. Carlson Lime Kiln, built in 1882 on the northeast end of Barn Bluff (Mt. LaGrange), is typical of approximately thirty such kilns in use in the Red Wing area during the period from 1870 to 1908. Gustavus Adolphus Carlson at one time . . . — — Map (db m39722) HM
On July 13, 1890 the steamer Sea Wing, heavily loaded with 215 passengers and crew, left the steamboat landing here for a Sunday excursion down the Mississippi River to Lake City.
The Sea Wing, based in Diamond Bluff, Wisconsin, . . . — — Map (db m49445) HM
William Colvill was born in New York state on April 5, 1830. As a young lawyer he moved to Red Wing in 1854, becoming the town's first city attorney.
On April 19, 1861 — one week after the Confederates fired on Fort Sumter — a . . . — — Map (db m48890) HM
Founded in 1853 and called “Mattson’s Settlement” after its first resident, Hans Mattson, the community was renamed Vasa in 1856 in honor of Swedish King Gustav Vasa. Once called “the most Swedish colony in America,” . . . — — Map (db m45380) HM
Constructed over Zumbro River in 1869 · cost $5,800. Original site Highway 58 about 1,000 feet from present location.
120 feet long town lattice truss design plans by A.J. Thatcher · construction supervised by E.L. Kingsbury.
Served as . . . — — Map (db m49209) HM