On the Red River Oxcart Trail to Traverse des Sioux
1854–First white man to claim land–Bruce Pierce.
1855-56–Then; Christian, John & Andrew Anderson; Christian & Torger Peterson & the Jensens.
1862–The Applebaum home . . . — — Map (db m73506) HM
This Church Was Moved to
Farmamerica, Wasega, MN June 1987
Site of the Brighton United Methodist Church
Established in 1854 after the Rev. John Tidlund responded to the prayers of the early settlers. Services were held in homes and . . . — — Map (db m75307) HM
1855 - First settlers were Jacob Harmon, Mr. Haresine, John Sidel, Jacob Gfeller, & Ole Nelson - Most of the early settlers came from Germany.
1856 - Village of Red Stone, near the ferry, was surveyed but never developed.
1856 - Hilo post . . . — — Map (db m66070) HM
The Post's surgeon lived here. In addition to treating the sick and injured, the post surgeon was himself a commissioned officer, in charge of enforcing proper sanitary measures. The regular inspection of living quarters, the water supply, . . . — — Map (db m71677) HM
Most officers in the regular army during the 1850s were professional soldiers with combat experience. Most had fought in the Mexican-American War (1846-47), and three quarters were West Point graduates. To those who had seen action in Mexico, . . . — — Map (db m71768) HM
A Minority in Their Homeland
For generations, the land stretching out around you was the homeland of the Dakota Indians. Through treaties in 1851, the Dakota sold all of their land in southern Minnesota. The treaties disregarded Dakota . . . — — Map (db m71126) HM
President Franklin D. Roosevelt Creates the CCC
During the early 1930s close to 40% of America's youth (16 to 24 years old) were unemployed and not in school. Twenty-five percent of adult men were unemployed. Out of this great economic . . . — — Map (db m71893) HM
You are standing where cannon fire stopped the Dakota assault on August 20, 1862. According to Tasina Wakanhdi (Lightning Blanket), who was involved in both attacks on the Fort, the warriors who made the first attack on Fort Ridgely were men from . . . — — Map (db m71702) HM
Large wood-burning ovens emitted so much heat that they were housed in a special structure on this site, remote from the other fort buildings.
Minnesota Historical Society
Fort Ridgely — — Map (db m72596) HM
In 1860, there were 39 women here at the fort. Most were the wives and daughters of officers and enlisted men. Others were governesses, servants, and cooks hired by officers. Civilian women like Wilhemina Randall, the wife of the post sutler, . . . — — Map (db m72751) HM
Erected by the State of
Built by Sullivan & Terry, Mankato.
In memory of Capt. John S. Marsh • First Serg't Russell H. Findley • Serg't Solon A. Trescott • Corp'l Joseph S. Besse • Private Charles R. . . . — — Map (db m70679) WM
"Life in a CCC camp is a different kind of life than most boys have known. An enrollee, as a CCC man is called, does not have his own private room. There is no one to pamper him. He lives with 200 other men of . . . — — Map (db m71888) HM
Erected by the State of Minnesota in recognition of, and to commemorate the loyal and efficient services rendered to the State by Chief Mou-Zoo-Mau-Nee and the Chippewa Indians during the Sioux out-break and the civil war. — — Map (db m70730) WM
With hundreds of men and some 175 horses, the garrison had a gargantuan appetite for wood, hay, grain, corn, and beef. Unable to meet the requirements of the post through any direct federal supply system, the War Department issued contracts to . . . — — Map (db m71497) HM
of Minnesota to
the Memory of
Mrs Eliza Müller
Her valor and her devotion to the care of the sick and wounded soldiers and refugees during and after the Sioux Indian outbreak of 1862 will forever be . . . — — Map (db m70713) HM
Elden Lawrence writes about a daring rescue led by his great-grandfather, Lorenzo Lawrence:
The Dakota were divided about whether to go to war with the whites. After attempts to avert the fighting proved futile, many Dakota decided to . . . — — Map (db m72934) HM
Fort Ridgely both contradicts and fits the popular culture stereotype of a frontier fort. Following its 1855 completion, the Fort’s primary role was to assist the federal government with an orderly transition of land ownership from American Indians . . . — — Map (db m70107) HM
As the frontier moved westward, Fort Ridgely's importance declined. Troops were withdrawn on May 22, 1867, but the buildings and land remained the property of the federal government. Settlers pillaged the fort, carting off stone, wood, and other . . . — — Map (db m73002) HM
In memory of the fallen; in recognition
of the living; and for the emulation
of future generations.
Erected A.D. 1896, by the State of Minnesota, to preserve the site of Fort Ridgely, a United States military post established in . . . — — Map (db m70741) HM WM
The legacy of the hard work by the young men of the CCC and veterans of the VCC during the five years the camp was here lives on in the structures we still use and enjoy today.
"The CCC has . . . — — Map (db m71918) HM
The steamer West Newton left St. Paul on April 26, 1853, transporting the first soldiers to the site of the new post. It took four days to get from Fort Snelling to Fort Ridgely. John P. Owens, passenger and editor of The . . . — — Map (db m71504) HM
The army believed that routine promoted discipline. Soldiers were on duty six days a week from daybreak to dusk. Garrison life consisted of roll calls, inspections, parades, guard duty, weapons training, drills, and daily chores called fatigues. . . . — — Map (db m71993) HM
1826 Licensed U.S. fur buyer with H. H. Sibley.
1834 Owned Little Rock Trading Post on the Minnesota River.
1837 Interpreter for Indian Treaty at Fort Snelling and Washington D.C.
1838-39 Guide for Jean N. Nicollet, U.S. Gov’t . . . — — Map (db m70653) HM
Five log buildings stood in a row behind the barracks. They were among the earliest structures erected at the post to serve as officers' homes until regular quarters were completed. Archaeological excavations indicate that the building in the . . . — — Map (db m72801) HM
In 1972 Minnesota Historical Society archaeologists excavated a row of latrines that stood behind the officers' quarters, in order to retrieve household articles disposed of during the post's active years. This excavation revealed that the . . . — — Map (db m72670) HM
The frame structure that stood here probably housed two officers and their families, much as a duplex would today. A central hall divided the building, and each half contained living, sleeping, and cooking areas.
Minnesota Historical . . . — — Map (db m71980) HM
At first glance, this foundation of Officers' Quarters B appears identical to that of Officers' Quarters A. A closer look, however, reveals that this building was somewhat larger. Sketches of the two structures indicate they also had different . . . — — Map (db m71854) HM
This building was identical to Officers' Quarters B and was one of several Fort Ridgely structures excavated by G. Hubert Smith in the mid-1930s. Assisted by unemployed World War I veterans from the Works Progress Administration, Smith not only . . . — — Map (db m71625) HM
This original log powder magazine, and another one similar to it, stood across the road in front of you when Fort Ridgely was an active military post. These buildings were used for storing ammunition and unused weapons. During the 1862 battles, a . . . — — Map (db m71726) HM
Soldiers and civilian refugees peered anxiously in this direction, fearing another attack and praying for help. The garrison had dug entrenchments and built an earthen wall south of the fort. Barricades on all sides had been strengthened. During . . . — — Map (db m71599) HM
The immense stone barracks was the most impressive building at Fort Ridgely. Measuring 235 feet by 40 feet and two stories high, it could house as many as 400 enlisted men. Its two-foot-thick walls were made of rectangular granite blocks set in . . . — — Map (db m72209) HM
Fort Ridgely's commandant and its surgeon lived with their families in the structure on this site. A central hallway divided the quarters into two separate living units. The building was destroyed by fire in 1865.
Minnesota Historical . . . — — Map (db m71667) HM
On the morning of August 18, 1862, Captain John Marsh, 46 soldiers, and interpreter Peter Quinn left the fort to respond to news of violence at Lower Sioux Agency. After an 11-mile march, the soldiers prepared to cross the Minnesota River at the . . . — — Map (db m71633) HM
Fort Ridgely served as a buffer between Dakota Indians on the reservations and white settlers pouring into the Minnesota River valley. Soldiers stationed here enforced treaty agreements and protected the Dakota from intrusions onto their . . . — — Map (db m71197) HM
Arrived in 1816
Becoming the First White Settler of This Community
Donated & Erected by B. J. Krahn 1940
Hazen Mooers one of the pioneers of the fur trade with the Sioux, came to the no. west in 1816 conducted a trading post at Big Stone . . . — — Map (db m70664) HM
Most soldiers at Fort Ridgely were low-ranking enlisted men, and before 1861 most of these were foreign-born. Out of 166 enlisted men in the 1860 census, 70 were from Ireland, 34 from Germany, ten from Great Britain, and 33 from the United . . . — — Map (db m72429) HM
Although Fort Ridgely had been a state park since 1911, little development for recreation had occurred. Under the direction of the Department of Interior, the National Park Service (NPS) planned, designed, and supervised the . . . — — Map (db m71881) HM
Creamery, organized as "Riverside" in 1895 - changed to "Bernadotte" in 1944 - New creamery built 1936 - cost $10,518. It handled whole milk at all times. Patorns delivered cream over 40 years. Co-Op dissolved in 1959. Building sold and used as . . . — — Map (db m73900) HM
Organized 4 May 1866 at Magnus Peterson home, Pastor John Pehrson, by Swedish settlers, 21 charter families, 104 families by 1870. Commemorated on native stone, set in 1937.
First worship in homes, in school-house No. 26; first church built . . . — — Map (db m79770) HM
Erected by the Bernadotte Lutheran Church in memory of pioneers who settled here by and before 1870, and who organized and became members of same. Church was organized May 4, 1866.
The first resident . . . — — Map (db m79799) HM
First settler in township was Louis Sharro. John Bush and family came in 1854 and kept an Inn for travelers. Township organized in 1858. First post office 1859 - moved to Village 1897. Village platted 1896; Incorporated Feb., 1900. Minneapolis & St. . . . — — Map (db m66615) HM
New Sweden Creamery Association was organized Jan. - 1895. 350 cows were pledged for the Creamery.
The creamery was built in 1896.
Jan., 1898, Samuel Haugdahl was hired as butter maker. He received many state and national awards in . . . — — Map (db m73922) HM
1917 · Honor Roll · 1918
U.S. American Legion
Our Men Who Have Enlisted
Boys Clarence-Infantry •
Bresnahan Mike-2nd M.G. •
★ Bean Kenneth-Aviation •
Bratsch August-Infantry •
Currier Harry . . . — — Map (db m79069) WM
Mrs. Maria Jonsson, wife of Erik Jonsson, and their son Pehr, were killed by Sioux Indians on August 23, 1862, near their home in New Sweden Township, about five miles northwest of this marker. Both natives of Sweden, Mrs. Jonsson was . . . — — Map (db m73601) HM
The name Norseland was originated by community spirited settlers -
1858-Norseland Store was built by John Burke
1896-Patrons built Norseland Co-op Creamery next to the Burke store which had a post office
1922-Emil Swenson became a partner . . . — — Map (db m73868) HM
1854-Methodist church organized-disbanded 1900.
1858-Norwegian Lutheran church organized - 1911 present church erected.
1858-Scandian Grove Lutheran church organized. 1888 stone church erected.
1858-Burkes had a general store & post . . . — — Map (db m73881) HM
The Lord our God be with us as He was with our fathers; let Him not forsake us. Kings, 8, 57.
The Norseland Lutheran Church was organized in the year of our Lord, 1858, at the home of Johannes Johnson Odegaard, located 1 mile east . . . — — Map (db m73840) HM
In this house, built by Andrew Thorson
in 1855 the early settlers met often
for worship, and the Scandian Grove
Evangelical Lutheran Church was
organized on June 13, 1858.
The Memory of the Pioneers
In . . . — — Map (db m78600) HM
This marker is located near the big bend of the Minnesota River directly opposite the mouth of the Blue Earth River. The abandoned channel east of it is the former course of the LeSueur before it joined the Blue Earth. Most of the broad . . . — — Map (db m66715) HM
In 1856 a new town thrived where you are now standing.
Traverse des Sioux had five taverns, two hotels, several churches, and even a brewery—some 70 buildings in all—and a population that at one time reached about 300. But . . . — — Map (db m75762) HM
For generations, the land stretching out around you was the homeland of the Dakota Indians. Through treaties in 1851, the Dakota sold all of their land in southern Minnesota. The treaties disregarded Dakota people's traditional decision-making . . . — — Map (db m71537) HM
For centuries animals and people used the solid footing and shallow water at Traverse des Sioux as a natural river crossing.
In time the crossing became a place for people to meet and trade goods. European fur traders were quick to see the . . . — — Map (db m73945) HM
Archaeology is the recovery and study of material evidence, such as remainders of pottery, to help us learn about people and places of the past.
In 1994 the Minnesota Historical Society conducted a survey to map and excavate the . . . — — Map (db m78179) HM
This 1.1 acre site represents the history of public education in rural United States. It was one of 68 rural school districts organized in Nicollet County. The first school building on this site was built in the early 1860's. The present . . . — — Map (db m120011) HM
Here, for countless generations, Dakota people followed the traditional ways of their ancestors.
Living close to the land, they learned how to read nature's signs and developed an intimate understanding of the habitats and growth cycles of . . . — — Map (db m77896) HM
Although European traders reached this area in 1695, it was not systematically mapped until the late 1830s.
The mapmaker was Joseph Nicollet, a French astronomer and cartographer who led two government-sponsored expeditions into what is now . . . — — Map (db m74990) HM
Because of its importance as a river crossing, Traverse des Sioux was a major distribution point for the fur trade.
As early as the 1770s, the Dakota were trading here for guns, blankets, and kettles. One prominent local trader was the . . . — — Map (db m76158) HM
Imagine standing in this spot 150 years ago.
It would have looked very different than it does today. To the west (your left) was a rolling prairie — vast, nearly treeless grasslands. In the summer the prairie would be ablaze with . . . — — Map (db m77940) HM
The Reverend Stephen Riggs and his wife, Mary, arrived at Traverse des Sioux in 1843 to establish a Protestant mission for the Dakota.
He and other missionaries believed they had a duty to convert Indians to Christianity. Their efforts . . . — — Map (db m78112) HM
This memorial is dedicated
to all the men and women
from Nicollet County
who served their country
in the military service.
Mrs. Maurice (E. Luella) Anthony . . . — — Map (db m65956) WM
In 1854 the first settlers from Norway and Sweden arrived in the area. By 1858, the village of Norseland had formed, with the Norwegians gathering for church east of town and the Swedes to the west. That year, the Burke brothers opened a . . . — — Map (db m120010) HM
March, 1856 – Traverse des Sioux and St. Peter organized a cemetery Assoc. purchasing 10 acres. Early Missionaries, pioneer, and Civil War Veterans are buried here.
Rev. T. C. Williamson, first Missionary in this area and Rev. Stephen . . . — — Map (db m66414) HM
About 150 feet North of this Park was the old boat landing.
Boat transportation from the earliest years of this area until the 1870's was the main source of commercial transportation.
The first steamboat to come up the Minnesota River was . . . — — Map (db m65784) HM
First property owner was Wm. B. Dodd. Fourth property owner, Adolph Bornemann, born in Traverse des Sioux 1862. His father, Bernhard, a journalist from Germany came to Traverse des Sioux in 1856; built a hotel & raised sheep. 1869, the Bornemanns . . . — — Map (db m68094) HM
In 1871, Eugene St. Julien Cox, a man of eccentric tastes and "great vigor of mind" built this picturesque neo-Gothic Italianate house noted for its towered cupola, small balconies, and carved eaves.
Cox began his law career in 1857 and built a . . . — — Map (db m65464) HM
The Old French Cemetery
was located south of this ravine.
The earliest settlers and a few Indians
were buried there until about 1850.
(D. A. R. Emblem)
Traverse des Sioux Chapter, . . . — — Map (db m66273) HM
The signing of the 1851 treaty was the signal for settlers and speculators to rush into the new territory.
Here, between 1852 and 1855, several town sites were laid out for sale. The first outfit to offer land was the Traverse des Sioux . . . — — Map (db m75224) HM
Near this place on July 23, 1851, the Sisseton and Wahpeton bands of the Dakota sold 21 million acres of land to the federal government for $1,665,000—about 7.5 cents per acre. The Dakota, hoping to ensure a future for their children, . . . — — Map (db m71152) HM
This ancient fording place, the "Crossing of the Sioux," was on the heavily traveled trail from St. Paul and Fort Snelling to the upper Minnesota and Red River valleys.
Here, on June 30, 1851, Governor Alexander Ramsey, Commissioner of Indian . . . — — Map (db m65557) HM
On July 23, 1851, a treaty was signed here that transferred millions of acres of Dakota land to the U.S. government. The treaty also resulted in the Sisseton and Wahpeton Dakota bands' movement to reservation lands along the Minnesota River.
. . . — — Map (db m79309) HM