Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Adams County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
The Natchez Burning Marker (side 2) image, Touch for more information
By Robert M. Cook, Jr.
The Natchez Burning Marker (side 2)
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 36 — "The Natchez Burning"
(side 1) One of the deadliest fires in American history took the lives of over 200 people, including bandleader Walter Barnes and nine members of his dance orchestra at the Rhythm Club (less than a mile southeast of this site) on April 23, . . . — Map (db m70811) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 20-30 St. Catherine Street and EduationNatchez Trails
. Eliza Smith, an antebellum "free woman of color," purchased property on St. Catherine Street in the 1850s. Her daughters and their families built new houses on the property in the 1880s.

28 St. Catherine Street (above) was the ca. 1885 home of . . . — Map (db m108276) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 300 Block of Martin Luther King Streetformerly North Pine Street — Natchez Trails
300 North Martin Luther King Street (above) is home to the city's oldest funeral business.

Robert D. Mackel (below) opened Bluff City Undertaking in 1898 at the corner of Jefferson and North Rankin Streets. About 1911 he relocated the business . . . — Map (db m108600) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Andrew Marschalk
Site of the printery of “father of Mississippi journalism.” Printed first book in state, 1799. Became first public printer and in 1802 founded famed newspaper, “Mississippi Herald.” — Map (db m70851) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bernardo De Gálvez
Don Bernardo de Gálvez, Spanish Governor of Louisiana, 1776-1783, in a brilliant campaign, with the aid of regular troops, militia, volunteers, and a few Americans, captured Baton Rouge from the British on September 21, 1779. Terms included the . . . — Map (db m76211) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park - Memorials and Louisiana ConnectionsNatchez Trails
The Richard Wright historic marker recognizes the city’s most famous 20th-century writer. Born in 1908 on a cotton plantation near Natchez, Wright spent his early childhood in town in the home of his grandparents at 20 East Woodlawn . . . — Map (db m87176) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park - Playground for the CityNatchez Trails
When the Spanish laid out the town of Natchez about 1790, they set aside land on the bluff for use as a public park. In 1839, after the city had sold off most of the park and built Broadway Street, writer Joseph Holt Ingraham complained . . . — Map (db m87177) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park and South Broadway StreetNatchez Trails
Bontura, built in 1851, was the home of Robert Smith, a free African American who ran the city’s most successful carriage business in the 1850s. The house stands at the head of Silver Street, which leads to Natchez Under-the-Hill. Smith . . . — Map (db m87179) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 123 — Bud Scott
(side 1) Clarence “Bud” Scott, Sr., led one of the most popular dance bands in the Mississippi-Louisiana region for several decades beginning around 1900. Scott (1876-1938), a lifelong Natchez resident, was renowned among both . . . — Map (db m70852) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ceremonial Center
Archaeological and historical evidence indicates that the Grand Village of Natchez Indians was not really a "village." It was the main ceremonial mound center for the Natchez Indians during the period of French exploration and colonization of the . . . — Map (db m104481) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Churches in the St. Catherine Street NeighborhoodNatchez Trails
The original appearance of Mt. Sinai Baptist Church is visible in a ca. 1930 historic photograph. The church featured corner towers crowned with domes.

Mt. Sinai organized in 1913 and built the church soon afterwards. Like most historic African . . . — Map (db m108636) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Commercial Bank Building
Built ca. 1836, this structure, a National Historic Landmark, is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. A Banker’s House attached to the rear insured security & gives the structure an unusual and practical plan. — Map (db m79346) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Conflict with the French
War with the French forced the Natchez Indians to abandon the Grand Village and their other settlements. The war arose from disputes between the Indians and the French over debts and land ownership. In 1729, the Natchez abruptly switched their . . . — Map (db m108778) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — DAR And The Natchez Trace
Mrs. Egbert Jones and Mrs. Ferriday Byrnes, members of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), played important roles in the development of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Mrs. Jones, of Holly Springs, State Regent 1906 . . . — Map (db m42629) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Dr. John Banks House - 9 St. Catherine StreetNatchez Trails
The Dr. John Banks House was built in the Queen Anne style about 1890 and was slightly remodeled in the Colonial Style after about 1905. Frank Robinson, grandson of Dr. John Banks, retired part time to Natchez and restored the house in the . . . — Map (db m106297) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 129 — Ealey Brothers
(Front Side) The Ealey family of Sibley has produced some of the most talented musicians to emerge from the Natchez area. Brothers Theodis, YZ, and Melwyn Ealey performed together locally in the band YZ Ealey and the Merry Makers in the . . . — Map (db m87181) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Forks of the Road
Site of the South's second largest slave market in the 19th century. Enslaved people were also once sold on city streets and at the landing at Natchez Under the Hill. Natchez slaves were freed in July, 1863, when Union troops occupied the city. The . . . — Map (db m37433) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Forks of the Road Historical Site
[Panel 1:] Natchez in the Center of Slavery Slavery is central to American history. The labor of enslaved African Americans built much of the nation’s wealth and enabled it to gain its economic independence. The enslavement of people . . . — Map (db m41533) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Fort Rosalie
On bluff to south stood Ft. Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Miss. Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre . . . — Map (db m5143) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Gloucester Cemetery
Here are buried the families of Winthrop Sargent, 1st Gov. of the Mississippi Territory, and Seargent S. Prentiss, Congressman. "Let no monumental marble deface with its mock dignity the patriot's grave." — Map (db m103804) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Grand Village of the Natchez IndiansMississippi Mound Trail
Of the six mounds identified on the early 18th-century maps of the Grand Village, three remain. Mound A is now eroding into St. Catherine Creek. Mound B is a pyramidal platform mound, roughly seven feet tall, built in four stages. Each stage served . . . — Map (db m103758) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Historic Plaza
The Natchez Indians used the open area between the Great Sun's Mound and the Temple Mound for religious and social ceremonies. In 1725, the funeral ceremonies for the Tattooed Serpent, brother of the Great Sun, were held on this plaza. Le Page Du . . . — Map (db m110549) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — History of St. Catherine StreetNatchez Trails
Pre-Civil War St. Catherine Street The road, for the first mile, after leaving town, passed through a charming country, seen at intervals, and between long lines of unpainted, wretched looking dwellings, occupied as 'groggeries' by free . . . — Map (db m106918) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Holy Family Catholic ChurchDedicated July 1, 1894.
First Catholic church in the Mississippi valley with entire congregation of Afro-American descent. Its school has been continually educating youth since 1890. — Map (db m103798) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Holy Family Church and SchoolNatchez Trails
In 1889 Bishop Thomas Heslin started the first parish for Roman Catholic African Americans in Mississippi. He first oversaw construction of a small frame church (above left) on Beaumont Street and brought Father A.N.J. Peters to Natchez to become . . . — Map (db m104502) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Hospital Hill NeighborhoodNatchez Trails
The portion of St. Catherine Street that extends from the site of the Rhythm Night Club to D'Evereux Street was originally part of the property of the city's first public hospital (above).

The hospital fronted St. Catherine and stood on a hill on . . . — Map (db m108586) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846Oldest Extant Outdoor Shrine Dedicated to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
1830: July 18-December 30- The Blessed Virgin Mary appears to St. Catherine Lebouré, Daughter of Charity, in Paris, France 1830: July 27 Revolution - Louis Philippe overthrows King Charles X of France 1832: - First Miraculous . . . — Map (db m104067) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — In Gratitude
In Gratitude To the men and women of Adams County Who served in World War I And to those who died in the line of duty — Map (db m106177) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of High and North Wall StreetsNatchez Trails
Joseph Neibert built Choctaw in 1836 as his mansion townhouse. Neibert was a cotton planter. In the 1830s he and his partner Peter Gemmel, operated the city's most successful building firm, which employed both white and enslaved . . . — Map (db m104476) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streetsNatchez Trails
Ethel Clagett and Mabel Porter were among the first women in America to own a car dealership that was not inherited from a male spouse or relative. They opened their dealership in 1914 on Main Street and moved to a larger new facility on . . . — Map (db m108610) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and South Union StreetsNatchez Trails
An 1890 view of Memorial Park shows the Confederate soldier monument draped for unveiling. Like many others across the south, it faces north towards the opposing army.The park's creation was part of the Lost Cause Movement that expressed . . . — Map (db m104480) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streetsNatchez Trails
Edelweiss is a Swiss Chalet-style building which dates to 1883. The house offered both a great view of the Mississippi River and a convenient location for the family of its first owner, Joseph O'Brien, a coal-dealer at Natchez . . . — Map (db m108807) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streetsNatchez Trails
The two matching brick houses at the corner (behind you) date to 1901 and stand on the site of a brick chapel (no longer standing) built in 1849 by the First Presbyterian Church. The chapel held Wednesday evening prayer services, . . . — Map (db m107249) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jefferson Street Methodist Church
This was the first Methodist congregration in Natchez formed in the early 1800s, and the 1st building was constructed in 1807. The 1st Sunday School south of Philadelphia, Pa., was organized here in 1829. — Map (db m29749) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772, including Captain Amos Ogden. The Swayzes, Thorns & others now rest in the Kingston Cemetery — Map (db m103816) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772 & their descendants who rest in Caleb King & Daniel Farrar Cemetery, Kingston Plantation. — Map (db m104044) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Judith Sargent Murray
An early American feminist writer and champion of women's rights, Murray (1751-1820) was also instrumental in fostering the Universalist Church in America. Murray lived for two years at Oak Point Plantation on this site. She died on July 6, 1820, . . . — Map (db m103817) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston
S.E. 1 mile is site of Old Jersey Settlement now known as Kingston. Here settlers from New Jersey organized first Protestant church in Mississippi with Samuel Swayze as pastor. — Map (db m104043) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — MississippiThe Magnolia State
Explored, 1540-1, by De Soto. Colonized first by French, 1699. Became a colony of British, 1763; Spanish, 1779. Territory organized by U.S., 1798. Became 20th. state, 1817. — Map (db m103799) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Music on St. Catherine StreetNatchez Trails
Alexander Lightfoot "Papa George" Papa George Lightfoot [1924-1971], he lived down the street from the alley I came up in, down on St. Catherine Street....He was a hustler, he had a snowball wagon, he sold peanuts. He would blow his harp . . . — Map (db m108160) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez
First settled by French, 1716-29. Lasting growth came with Britain, 1763-1779, and Spain, 1779-98. Cotton and trade made it commercial and cultural capital of Old South. — Map (db m4479) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez
Here passed, in 1543, De Soto’s men under Moscoso. In 1682 La Salle and De Tonti here visited the Natchez Indians. In 1716 Bienville here built Fort Rosalie and established a French settlement. In 1763 the fort was ceded to the English and renamed . . . — Map (db m87167) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Bluffs and River ViewsNatchez Trails
The Harper family mansion had a spectacular view of the river from the bluff. The construction of the railroad and related development made its land valuable for commerce, and the house and its garden were destroyed to build a large warehouse (no . . . — Map (db m104673) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez City Cemetery
Established in 1822 on a ten acre tract, this cemetery grew into a park notable for its variety of 19th century iron and marble work. People of all walks of life are buried within the cemetery. — Map (db m50659) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Origin of the Natchez Trace
After the American Revolution, frontiersmen from the Ohio Valley carried their products down stream to Spanish controlled New Orleans and Natchez. Returning home, boatmen followed a series of Indian trails from Natchez to Nashville—trails . . . — Map (db m87224) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 83 — Papa Lightfoot & The Natchez Blues
Side 1The rich legacy of blues, jazz, and gospel in Natchez has often been obscured by the tragic shadow of the notorious Rhythm Club fire that claimed some 200 lives here in 1940. Alexander “Papa George” Lightfoot was one of the . . . — Map (db m105233) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ravennaside
An outstanding example of Colonial Revival architecture, Ravennaside, built 1902, was the home of Roane Fleming Byrnes (1890-1970) and headquarters for her efforts in the creation and development of the Natchez Trace Parkway, the 444-mile National . . . — Map (db m103821) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rhythm Night Club
On April 23, 1940, 209 African Americans died in a fire at the Rhythm Club, located at this site. An overflow crowd, which included civic and cultural leaders, had come to hear the Walter Barnes Orchestra of Chicago. Considered among America's most . . . — Map (db m103794) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Richard N. Wright
Noted African-American author of Native Son and Black Boy was born in 1908 near Natchez, where he spent his early childhood. His lifelong quest for freedom led him to Paris, France, where he died in 1960. — Map (db m10059) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Road to Fort Rosalie
In the early 1700s, a road began here and connected the Grand Village with the French colonial settlement on the Mississippi River bluff near what is now downtown Natchez.

In 1723, French mapmaker Ignace Broutin produced a remarkably detailed map . . . — Map (db m111076) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rosalie Cemetery
This marker is placed as a memorial to those early settlers of Natchez whose buried remains were discovered here during the Natchez Bluffs Stabilization Project in 1999. This bluff was originally part of the property purchased on December 22, 1820, . . . — Map (db m50696) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rose Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Rose Hill is the oldest black baptist congregation in the state, with origins dating to 1837. This 1908 building replaces the first wooden church and contains a 1912 Moller pipe organ. Randle Pollard was the first official pastor, serving from . . . — Map (db m105229) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Seargent S. Prentiss(1808-1850)
S. ½ mi. is grave of orator & statesman who came from Maine to Natchez in 1827 & won fame in law & politics, serving with distinction in legislature & in Congress. — Map (db m103801) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Site of Bank of Mississippi
Chartered in 1809 as the only bank in Mississippi Territory and given a monopoly as the official state bank in 1818. It occupied this site in 1826 but was supplanted by Planters' Bank in 1831. Closed solvent. — Map (db m70854) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Site of Cokesbury ChapelEarliest Methodist Church in Natchez
Erected 1807. Launer Blackman, Elder. Caleb W. Cloud Pastor. Trustees: Launer Blackman, Newit Vick, Reuben Gibson, W. Foster, Phillip Gorral, David Lattimore. This tablet placed 1935 by Jubilee Circle of W.M.S Jefferson St. Ch. — Map (db m97262) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Soldiers Retreat
"Soldiers Retreat," located here, was the home of Ferdinand Leigh and Magdaline Claiborne. F.L. Claiborne (1772-1815) moved to the Mississippi Territory from Virginia in 1807 and served as Brig. Gen. with the 1st Mississippi Volunteers during the . . . — Map (db m105260) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Spanish Colonial Natchez1779 ~ 1798
Following acquisition of the Natchez District in 1779, the Spanish founded the City of Natchez ca.1790 to serve as the capital. Under Governor Manuel Gayoso, the city was planned and surveyed by John Girault in a typical Spanish grid plan around a . . . — Map (db m10058) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek
In the early 1700's, French colonists established a plantation called the "St. Catherine Concession" on this creek about two miles upstream from the Grand Village. The name was applied to the creek during the French colonial period in the Natchez . . . — Map (db m106308) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek Italian Colony
On January 21, 1905, a number of families from struggling farming communities near Bologna, Italy, left Genoa bound for New York aboard the S.S. Montevideo. Many of these families ventured south, some settling in this area near St. . . . — Map (db m105231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Mary's Cathedral
In 1837 Natchez was designated the See of the Roman Catholic Church in Mississippi. In 1842 Bishop J. M. Chanche began construction of this structure, the only church built as a cathedral in Mississippi. — Map (db m103791) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Temple B'Nai IsraelEstablished 1843
Jewish Americans have been part of Mississippi’s economic, social and political life since the 1780’s. In 1843, the Jewish community of Natchez grew large enough to organize and sustain the state’s first permanent religious congregation, Temple . . . — Map (db m79345) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The First Presbyterian Church
Congregation organized in 1817. The Sanctuary was built in 1828-29 and enlarged in 1851. The Romanesque Revival rear addition was built in 1900 in honor of Joseph Stratton, Pastor, 1843-1903. The church and its companion manse on South Rankin Street . . . — Map (db m19027) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Forest Plantation
Home and grave of William Dunbar (1749-1810), Scot settler who surveyed the boundary line between the USA and Spain-1798 and led 1st exploration of LA Purchase 1804. World-famed scientist and inventor in Miss. Territory. — Map (db m103857) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Natchez Trace
Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution in Mississippi 1909. This historic thoroughfare from Natchez to Nashville, Tenn. was used as a mail route in 1796. Although it was a well known Indian trail in far earlier days. — Map (db m4555) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The President's HouseCirca 1835
Originally the home of Washington physician John C. Inge, the school purchased this frame building in 1842 for $1,350 to house the college president. — Map (db m105846) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The William Johnson House
The house to your left, completed in 1841, was built by William Johnson. Born a slave in 1809 in Natchez and freed in 1820, Johnson learned the profession of barbering from his brother-in-law. At an early age, he owned a barbershop and later . . . — Map (db m92857) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — United States CourthouseNatchez, Mississippi
This building, completed in July of 1853 and known as Institute Hall, was re-christened Memorial Hall in 1921 in honor of veterans of World War I. Re-dedicated in 2007, the structure was extensively renovated and now houses the United States . . . — Map (db m106223) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Views of St. Catherine Street - Western EndNatchez Trails
Photographer Earl Norman stood on Jefferson Street and snapped this view of the intersection of St. Catherine, Martin Luther King and Jefferson streets.

A single column of the portico of Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church appears on the far right. Holy . . . — Map (db m108599) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Voss Family and A-B Motor CompanyThe Natchez Trails
Axel Voss spoke little English when he emigrated in 1925 from Copenhagen, Denmark. He worked as a mechanic for Chris Anderson and John T. Belt, who founded A-B Motor Company in a backyard garage at 114 St. Catherine. The first Voss business venture . . . — Map (db m103882) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Washington Campground1804-1847
Site of first Methodist camp meeting in state, Dec. 14-17, 1804. Led by Learner Blackman, Nathan Barnes, Lorenzo Dow, and Randal Gibson. — Map (db m105847) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Wharlest Jackson, Sr.1937-1967
Wharlest Jackson was a Natchez Civil Rights activist who lost his struggle for racial equality on February 27, 1967. The explosion of a bomb implanted under his truck took his life. Members of the Ku Klux Klan targeted Jackson, because he was . . . — Map (db m105223) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — William Johnson HouseNatchez, Mississippi — Friends of Libraries U.S.A. Literary Landmark
William Johnson 1809-1851 was a free African American Businessman and Diarist. His diary, covering the period from 1835-1851 and published in 1951, contains an extensive description of everyday pre-Civil War life; it is a valuable . . . — Map (db m34877) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church
Acquired 1868 by Zion Chapel whose minister Hiram R. Revels became the first black U.S. Senator and first president of Alcorn State University. Originally built in 1858 as the Second Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m103793) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Zion Chapel African Methodist Episcopal ChurchNatchez Trails
Henry Gurney photographed Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church in 1866, the year the congregation bought the building built in 1858 as the Second Presbyterian Church. Zion Chapel had earlier purchased the Methodist Church that fronted Union Street between . . . — Map (db m110513) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Sibley — Wirt Adams's Raid
On December 1, 1863, Confederate Brig. Gen. Wirt Adams moved his cavalry from Gallatin to retake Natchez. Finding the city heavily fortified with Union infantry and heavy artillery, Adams moved south of Natchez to Ellis's Cliff, eight miles west of . . . — Map (db m103788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — A National Road
(Marker #1) A National Road Natchez in the extreme south-western corner of the United States was threatened by Spain in 1800 and later by France and Great Britain. President Jefferson in 1801 decided that a road from Nashville . . . — Map (db m87267) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — A Remarkable Feat
Around 800 years ago, native peoples in this region began to transform a natural hill into what we call Emerald Mound

They followed a visionary plan and built this flat-topped sacred mound over perhaps 300 years. Covering eight acres, this . . . — Map (db m108887) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Emerald Mound
Before you is the second largest temple mound in the United States. Only Monks Mound in Cahokia, Illinois, is larger. This eight acre mound, constructed from a natural hill, was built and used from about 1300 to 1600 by the Mississippians, ancestors . . . — Map (db m61974) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Emerald Mound
Before you is a 30 foot secondary mound on which once stood a temple containing sacred Indian images. Archeological evidence indicates that at least two small mounds stood along the North and South sides of the primary platform. These mounds . . . — Map (db m87272) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Emerald MoundMississippi Mound Trail
Covering roughly eight acres, Emerald Mound is the second largest Mississippian mound north of Mexico. The main platform was constructed in three stages beginning ca. AD 1350. Archaeological excavations have confirmed that the first and second . . . — Map (db m97256) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Loess Bluff
This bluff shows a deep deposit of windblown topsoil known as loess (pronounced LOW–ess). It was formed during the Ice Age when glaciers covered the northern half of the United States.    At this time nearly continuous duststorms swept in . . . — Map (db m62182) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Old Trace
Across the Parkway behind you is a portion of the Old Natchez Trace - - a wilderness road that originated from a series of trails used by the southeastern Indian tribes. The Natchez Trace was politically, economically, socially, and militarily . . . — Map (db m87265) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Andrew Jackson at Washington
Here, on April 22, 1815, over 200 citizens of the Old Natchez District entertained General Andrew Jackson on his return from the victory over the British at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. — Map (db m105788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Dr. John W. Monette
Scientist-historian (1803-51). Lived ¼ mi. S.E. Research on yellow fever brought first quarantine in Old S.W. at Natchez, 1844. Author of scholarly book on the discovery and settlement of Mississippi Valley. — Map (db m105397) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Elizabeth Female Academy
First school for women chartered by Mississippi Legislature located here. Elizabeth Roach led in organization. School was important from 1818-1843. — Map (db m87231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Elizabeth Female Academy
The Natchez Trace was still active and Mississippi had just become a state when the Elizabeth Female Academy opened its doors in November of 1818. Much can be learned about the culture of early Mississippi here in the community of Washington. As the . . . — Map (db m87232) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Foster MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Foster Mounds consists of two mounds located on either end of a large village or plaza. Mound A was built in four stages during the Plaquemine Period, sometime after AD 1400. Its original size and shape have been modified to accommodate the late . . . — Map (db m105230) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Jefferson Military College
N. 200 yd. Founded 1802. Mississippi's oldest school. Received the first charter to be conferred for any purpose by legislature of Mississippi Territory. — Map (db m105790) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Site of Elizabeth Female College
First women’s college in America chartered on Feb. 17, 1819 to confer degrees on women. Named in honor of Elizabeth Roach, through whose generosity the College was made possible. Audubon was on the faculty. — Map (db m87235) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Washington
Territorial capital 1802-17. Statehood constitutional convention held here in 1817. Legislature met here until 1820. During its great days, it was known as the "Versailles" of the territory. — Map (db m105353) HM

90 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement