Tents, army wagons and soldiers crowd the area around the railway depot and Tishomingo Hotel in this view. Over the course of the war it is estimated that about 300,000 troops served in Corinth or passed through this railroad junction. Civilians, . . . — — Map (db m51752) HM
On the morning of October 4, 1862, nearly 20,000 Confederates under Maj. Gen. Earl Van Dorn launched a massive assault on Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans' 20,000 Federal soldiers defending the interior line of Corinth's entrenchments. Attacking from . . . — — Map (db m63296) HM
And be it further enacted, That any person who shall willfully destroy, mutilate, deface, injure, or remove any monument, gravestone, or other structure, or shall willfully destroy, cut, break, injure, or remove any tree, shrub, or plant within . . . — — Map (db m89097) HM
Only extant redan of six built in 1862 by U.S. troops as outer defense south and west of town. Taken on Oct. 3, 1862, by C.S. forces after fierce fighting. Battle resumed on Oct. 4, but C.S. troops forced to withdraw. — — Map (db m66613) HM
Site of Battery Williams. On Oct. 4 the cannonade from here devastated the Confederate troops attacking Battery Robinette. The advance failed, forcing Gen. Van Dorn to withdraw his forces. — — Map (db m50324) HM
Site of Battery Williams. On Oct. 4 the cannonade from here devastated the Confederate troops attacking Battery Robinette. The advance failed, forcing Gen. Van Dorn to withdraw his forces. — — Map (db m66590) HM
The South suffered a strategic disaster when Corinth and its railroads fell to Union forces on May 30, 1862. The destruction of the Union force garrisoned in Corinth and recapture of this rail center quickly became vital Confederate objectives. In . . . — — Map (db m66676) HM
S. 3/10 mi. to rear of school. Of unique circular design, about 50 ft. in diameter, this pit was one of series built in 1862 as second line of defence against U.S. troops advancing from Shiloh. — — Map (db m50318) HM
The caboose was built in 1970 by the International Car Company of Kenton, Ohio. It operated on the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad until 1972 when the G,M & O merged with the Illinois Central Railroad forming the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad. In . . . — — Map (db m107788) HM
Col. W.P. Rogers
2nd Texas Reg't.
Killed at Ft. Robinette
Oct. 4, 1862.
As long as courage, manliness and
patriotism exist, the name of
Rogers will be honored among
men. He fell in the front of
battle in the . . . — — Map (db m89036) WM
This view of Corinth appeared in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, June 21, 1862, not long after the Union army captured the town. Despite some inaccuracies, it depicts a scene familiar to many thousands of troops from both armies.
The . . . — — Map (db m51758) HM
Corinth's oldest church bldg.; erected 1871 by Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the First church est. in Corinth. 1906~1976 served as Fillmore St. Pres. Ch. Now used as chapel by First United Methodist Church. — — Map (db m28472) HM
W. 1/2 mi. Now Confederate Park. Here, Oct. 5, 1862, during Battle of Corinth, occurred a C.S.A. charge as heedless of cost as those of Pickett at Gettysburg and Light Brigade at Balaclava. — — Map (db m66738) HM
Founded in 1879 by the Milton B. Henry family on land sold by the Chickasaws to the U.S. government in 1832. Henry purchased 160 acres in 1856. Robert Henry Young, an infant grandson of M.B. Henry, was the first person buried here. The Henry . . . — — Map (db m66591) HM
Built in 1857 for Judge W.H. Kilpatrick. Used in Civil War as headquarters of General Leonidas Polk. Bought in 1866 by Mrs. Thomas Quincy Martin and occupied continuously by her descendants. — — Map (db m66557) HM
Judge W.H. Kilpatrick of Corinth had Oak Home built in 1857 by Tom Chesney, a local house designer and builder. Mr. M.S. Miller, a civil engineer working in Corinth shortly before the war, made this sketch in 1860, the only known Civil War vintage . . . — — Map (db m66700) HM
This 5-gun Union battery stood between the attacking Confederates and Corinth's inner defenses. As the Battle of Corinth progressed, Confederate troops of Brig. Gen. Dabney H. Maury's division crossed the railroad and attacked from the north; Maj. . . . — — Map (db m66689) HM
Among Corinths countless stories of personal wartime tragedy is that of General Albert Sidney Johnston, Confederate Commander of the War in the West, who made his headquarters in Rose Cottage. After Johnston received a fatal wound at the Battle of . . . — — Map (db m29291) HM
The Corinth House stood in the distance, facing the historic railroad crossing and the Tishomingo Hotel. This photograph shows it after the Union Army occupied Corinth.
In the exciting months before Corinth fell to the Union Army in 1862, . . . — — Map (db m51757) HM
Corinth City Hall now occupies this site, but early in the war the Houston Mitchell family lived in this spacious home. A favorite house among the general officers who served in Corinth at various times, the Mitchell residence was used as . . . — — Map (db m88942) HM
The Moss House, one of Corinth's popular hotels, stood across this intersection. When the Union army occupied Corinth in 1862, the Provost Marshal established headquarters in the building. Army officers who served as provost marshal had the . . . — — Map (db m66739) HM
(Front): Texas remembers the valor and devotion of its sons which served at Corinth and its surrounding environs during the Western Campaign of 1862.
Here in the days following the retreat of Southern forces from the battlefield of . . . — — Map (db m42632) HM
One of Corinth's founders, surveyor Hamilton Mask, built this Greek Revival home in 1857, pictured above as it appeared about 1862. It became known as the "Verandah House" because of its porches and served as headquarters for both Union and . . . — — Map (db m88943) HM
Here, at the hub of activity in 1862, stood the Tishomingo Hotel. The railway station (hidden by the train) is at the crossing of the Mobile & Ohio and Memphis & Charleston railroads. The Tishomingo was popular as an unofficial railway station and . . . — — Map (db m51753) HM
This unusual Civil War photograph captures a news event as it is happening, rather than recording its aftermath. In the middle of the scene is a canvas topped speakers platform from which Union Adjutant General Lorenzo Thomas is speaking to . . . — — Map (db m89030) HM
Not a "spit and polish" outfit, but tough and practical fighters. A Civil War photographer caught this group in a candid mode. Before the 1850s, the public's conception of battle formed mostly from romanticized drawings and paintings. Photography . . . — — Map (db m51755) HM
Looking northwest in this view along the right-of-way of the Memphis & Charleston RR, you can see the earthworks of Battery Williams to the left of the tracks. Battery Robinett lies in the distance to the right. One of the many military tent camps . . . — — Map (db m29273) HM
Erected by the Texas Div.
United Daughters of the
the surviving members of the
and admiring friends
August 15, A.D. 1912.
William P. Rogers
A native of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m89042) HM WM
E. 9 mi. Founded 1836 as seat of “Old” Tishomingo, including present Alcorn & Prentiss counties. Named for battle of San Jacinto. Courthouse dates from 1854. Lost county seat, 1870. Home of Sen. E.W. Carmack. — — Map (db m77399) HM