Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Amite County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Centreville Marker image, Touch for more information
July 21, 2016
Centreville Marker
Mississippi (Amite County), Centreville — Centreville (Elysian Fields)
Began as Spanish relay post. Was known prior to 1824 as Elysian Fields, or Amite Courthouse. Chartered in 1880. After 1884, new town, springing up on railroad, gradually absorbed old site. — Map (db m96426) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Crosby — Crosby
Named Dayton in 1884 in honor of David Day who gave the R.R. right-of-way. In 1917, Foster Creek Lumber & Mfg. Co. mill & town of Stephenson est. here. In 1934, named for L.O. Crosby who bought the vast co. holdings. — Map (db m96180) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Gloster — Gloster
On Mar. 11, 1884, Gloster City was chartered. Named for Capt. Arthur W. Gloster, R.R. engin. Located on watershed of Amite & Miss. Rivers. Elev. 435 Ft. On Apr. 6, 1935, a tornado hit the town killing 9 residents. — Map (db m96030) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite County Courthouse
The State's oldest courthouse, built in 1839-41, replaced the building located on this historic square. Seat of Amite County, formed Feb. 24, 1809. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m92615) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Amite Female Seminary
Locally known as the Little Red School House, the Amite Female Seminary was established in 1853 by Rev. Milton S. Shirk. The school's curriculum included music, literature, history, mathematics, modern languages, philosophy, science and physical . . . — Map (db m92629) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Battle Of Liberty
On November 16, 1864, Union cavalry under Col. Benjamin Marsh captured a small Confederate force at Liberty. Marsh had hoped to capture Brig. Gen. George Hodge, but he escaped. The next day, Brig. Gen. Albert Lee reinforced the Federals with 1,700 . . . — Map (db m92730) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Confederate Monument
Erected on land donated in 1868 by the Liberty Masonic Lodge, this Confederate monument was designed and built by A.J. Lewis. The shaft is inscribed with the names of 279 Amite County Confederate soldiers who died during the Civil War. Dedicated in . . . — Map (db m92709) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Herbert Lee
Herbert Lee, a 42-year-old dairy farmer in the Amite County area, became a member of the NAACP in the early 1950s. In the fall of 1961, Lee began transporting voting rights activists within the Pike and Amite County area. On September 25, 1961, . . . — Map (db m92564) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — 7 — Jerry Clower
(Side A) A Liberty native, Jerry Clower (1926-1998) brought his colorful, observant, comic stories of southern life — developed as a sales tool as he worked as a fertilizer salesman — to live shows, recordings, television, . . . — Map (db m92559) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty
Founded 1809 and chartered 1828. Site of first Confederate monument in state, 1871. Here Gail Borden conducted condensed milk experiments. Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic was also originated here. — Map (db m92616) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Liberty Missionary Baptist Church
Founded as the Liberty Colored Church in March 1870 after fifteen black members requested letters of dismissal from Liberty Baptist Church to organize their own congregation. Under the leadership of their first pastor, Rev. Fred Stirling, these . . . — Map (db m92617) HM
Mississippi (Amite County), Liberty — Old Natchez District
Ceded by Choctaws & Chickasaws in Fort Adams Treaty, 1801, confirming earlier British treaty. Contained most of present Warren, Jefferson, Claiborne, Adams, Franklin, Wilkinson & Amite counties. — Map (db m92556) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement