Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Choctaw County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Ackerman Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jeff Lovorn, December 2, 2011
Ackerman Marker
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Ackerman
Chartered February 16, 1884, upon the arrival of the Canton, Aberdeen, & Nashville Railroad, and named for the company's president, William K. Ackerman. Since 1896 County Seat of Choctaw County. — Map (db m51200) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Coleman's Mill
On Yockanookany, 1/2 mi. S., was built in 1836 water mill of W.R. Coleman of Fairfield Co. S.C., first white settler after Choctaw cession in Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. — Map (db m51198) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — Jeff Busby Park
On February 15, 1934, while serving as U.S. Congressman from Mississippi, Thomas Jefferson Busby (1884-1964) introduced a bill authorizing a survey of the Old Natchez Trace. Four years later the historic road was designated a unit of the National . . . — Map (db m87481) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — The Great Eastern Hardwood Forest
(Marker #1) The Great Eastern Hardwood Forest Before Columbus, the world of the eastern Indian was one of a vast continuous forest stretching from Canada to the Gulf coast. A mature forest, it changed little over the centuries, and . . . — Map (db m87480) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Ackerman — 139 — Two Steps From The Blues
"Two Steps From the Blues" might refer to Choctaw County's location, a bit off the path from the well-known blues highways and byways of Mississippi, but it is also the title of a classic blues song written by a native of Ackerman, "Texas" Johnny . . . — Map (db m51199) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Col. James Drane
President pro tem of the state Senate, 1857-65. Defeated by W. McWillie in governorís race, 1857. Delegate to Charleston Dem. Convention, 1860. Son and grandson of Rev. soldiers. House moved here, 1981, and restored. — Map (db m87486) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — French Camp
Louis Leflore first traded with the Choctaw Indians at a bluff now part of Jackson Mississippi. About 1812 he established his stand 900 feet to the northeast on the Natchez Trace. †††††Because of the storekeepers nationality, the area was often . . . — Map (db m87485) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), French Camp — Natchez Trace at French Camp
This memorial marks a stage on the “Natchez Trace.” The first highway opened through the lower South, by the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830, between the American government and the Choctaw Indians. The surrounding country became . . . — Map (db m87495) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Mathiston — Pigeon Roost
Pigeon Roost Creek, to your left, is a reminder of the millions of migrating passenger pigeons that once roosted in trees in this area. The species has been completely destroyed. †††††One mile east where the Natchez Trace crossed the creek, . . . — Map (db m87484) HM
Mississippi (Choctaw County), Mathiston — The Old Natchez Trace
In the early 1800's many thoughtful Americans believed that isolation and the difficulties of communication would force the Mississippi Valley settlements to form a separate nation. Hoping to hold the frontier, Congress in 1800 established a post . . . — Map (db m87483) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement