Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hinds County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Champion's Hill Marker at intersection of Madison Street & Bolton-Raymond Road. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 16, 2015
Champion's Hill Marker at intersection of Madison Street & Bolton-Raymond Road.
Mississippi (Hinds County), Bolton — Champion's Hill
Located 4.4 mi. S.W., is site of crucial battle in the Vicksburg defense, May 16, 1863. Grant, cutting off Johnston's relief, drove Pemberton from this hill across Big Black River. — Map (db m89736) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Bolton — 175 — Charley Patton Birthplace
~Front~ Mississippi blues master Charley Patton was born on this property when it was known as Herring's Place, according to Bolton bluesman Sam Chatmon. Patton's birthdate has often been reported as April 1891, but other sources cite earlier . . . — Map (db m80015) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Bolton — 176 — The Chatmon FamilyMississippi Sheiks
Front The Henderson Chatmon family, which produced some of Mississippi's most important blues and string band musicians, lived near this site on Texas Street in 1900. Henderson's sons Armenter, better known as "Bo Carter" and Sam . . . — Map (db m90192) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Cayuga — 11 — Final Plans at Cayuga
Grant established his headquarters here on May 10, remaining two days. On May 11, Tuttle's and Steele's divisions of the XV Corps passed through Cayuga and the XIII Corps camps at Fivemile Creek to Auburn, three and a half miles northeast. Lacking . . . — Map (db m103887) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — A Narrow Escape
The Battle on Champion Hill raged back and forth for hours, earning the site a reputation as "the hill of death." As more Union reinforcements arrived, Pemberton gave the order to retreat. With Pemberton's army in danger of being trapped, a . . . — Map (db m109561) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — A Refugee Family
As the Civil War moved into the Deep South, many people fled the shifting war front. Two coinciding events encouraged Henry Coker to become a refugee: the death of his wife and the approach of the Union navy, steaming up the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m109563) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — Bowen's Counterattack
On the morning of May 16, 1863, Gen. Pemberton placed his three Confederate divisions along a two-mile front extending from the Raymond Road on the south to the Middle Road on the north - Loring on the right, Bowen in the center and Stevenson on . . . — Map (db m109210) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — Champion Hill Battlefield
Champion Hill Battlefield has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America . . . — Map (db m109300) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — Chicago Mercantile Battery - Artillery in the Yard
Artillery used the crest of this ridge throughout the battle. From here Confederate guns commanded the Raymond Road, preventing a Union advance from the right. Late in the afternoon, the Confederates deployed closer to Bakers Creek, and . . . — Map (db m109565) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — Site of the 3rd Battery, Ohio Light ArtilleryShock and Awe
"I found General Hovey's command drawn up in line of battle, his right resting on the left of the main road, the enemy, as I learned, having been discovered in force strongly posted on a high ridge known as Champion's Hill, and apparently well . . . — Map (db m109310) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — The Battle of Champion HillFight for the Crossroads
The Crossroads is a junction formed by the Middle Road from the east, the Ratliff plantation road from the south and the Jackson Road from the north as it descends from the crest of Champion Hill and turns west. At 1:30 p.m. on May 16, 1863, Federal . . . — Map (db m109298) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — The Death of General Tilghman
General Lloyd Tilghman, a graduate of West Point Military Academy, settled in Kentucky after the Mexican War. In October, 1861, Tilghman was commissioned Brigadier General in the Confederate Army. At Champion Hill he led a brigade whose . . . — Map (db m109556) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Champion Hill — The Hill of Death
"I cannot think of this bloody hill without sadness and pride. Sadness for the great loss of my true and gallant men; pride for the heroic bravery they displayed. No prouder division ever met as vastly superior foe and fought with more . . . — Map (db m109305) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — “Love is Immortal”
This boulder is erected by the Mississippi College Rifles Chapter U. D. C. in grateful memory of the 104 men who went out from this college as Company E; 18th Mississippi Regiment, April 23, 1861. J. W. Welborn, Capt., Cuddie . . . — Map (db m90391) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Benjamin Whitfield
Pioneer Baptist minister who, in 1824, settled in Hinds Co. and organ. Union Church in the Society Ridge Com. A founder of the Miss. Bapt. Conv. in 1836, he influenced that body to acquire Miss. Coll. in 1850. — Map (db m89733) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Charles Caldwell Assassination
Charles Caldwell, Republican leader during Reconstruction, was assasinated outside Clinton's Store on the northeast corner of Leake and Jefferson Streets on December 30, 1875. Caldwell, a former slave, was a delegate to the 1868 State Constitutional . . . — Map (db m89731) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Clinton Cemetery
Established ca. 1800, the Clinton Cemetery is one of the oldest in central Mississippi. Buried here are families of pioneer settlers, ten college presidents, and sixty-three Confederate soldiers. — Map (db m69598) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Cowles Mead Cemetery
Like many of his generation, Mead came from the east seeking opportunity in the Mississippi Territory. He owned a tavern on the Old Trace near Natchez and held several political offices, including acting governor in 1806. During this time, he . . . — Map (db m69679) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Dr. Walter Hillman
Walter Hillman was President of the Central Female Institute from 1855 to 1887 and of Mississippi College from 1867 to 1873. During the Civil War he saved many Clintonians from starvation by requesting rations from General Sherman. When Charles . . . — Map (db m103744) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Hillman College
Following the closure of the female department at Mississippi College in 1851, the Central Baptist Association founded the Central Female Institute on this site in 1853. The institute provided primary and secondary education, as well as a two-year . . . — Map (db m103743) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Indian Trading Post
Operated at junction of Natchez Trace & Old Vicksburg Rd. by Robert H. Bell (1783-1835) & his "yellow man Vincent," freed by Bell's will in 1835. Bell-Vincent Scholarship, Millsaps College, endowed with funds from the sale of this land, memorializes . . . — Map (db m50873) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Mississippi College
Founded 1826, is oldest of Mississippi senior colleges. Under Baptist control. Was first coeducational college to grant degree to a woman. Famed for producing many a leader in church and state. — Map (db m89732) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Tanglewood
Tanglewood was originally built ca. 1845 on Norrell Road, then just south of Clinton, by Andrew and Nancy Thomas for their daughter Mary Jane and her husband, James A. Criddle. By 1876 Tanglewood had come into the ownership of Captain William Lewis . . . — Map (db m89730) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — Architecture and Renovations
What you see here is a reconstruction of the 1852 house built by the Cokers. Efforts to fully restore the original house were not successful. In order to save the structure, the house was dismantled and the salvaged materials were used in the . . . — Map (db m110131) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — Big Black River Bridge
After the defeat at Champion Hill, Confederate forces retreated to the Big Black River on the night of May 16, 1863. Here, Generals John Bowen and John Vaughn defended the east bank of the river and the bridge. On May 17, Federal forces under Gen. . . . — Map (db m80679) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — Champion House Site
In 1853, the land now known as Champion Hill was given to Sid and Matilda Champion as a wedding present from her father, Eli Montgomery. They erected a two-story white frame house on the Old Jackson Road overlooking the railroad near Midway . . . — Map (db m86780) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — 15 — Change of Plans
On May 12, 1863, Grant made his headquarters here at Dillon's Farm with Sherman's XV Corps. At Raymond, five and a half miles east along Fourteenmile Creek, McPherson's XVII Corps, with 12,000 men, defeated 3,000 Confederates under John Gregg. Grant . . . — Map (db m80242) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — Lloyd Tilghman
Lloyd Tilgham Brigadier General C.S.A. Commanding First Brigade Loring's Division Killed here the afternoon of May 16, 1863, near the close of the Battle of Champion's Hill. — Map (db m86785) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — 13 — North to the Railroads
On May 12, 1863, after Grant and two divisions of the XV Corps marched past, three divisions of the XIII Corps turned here onto the Telegraph Road. Four miles north, they met a portion of the 1st Missouri (Dismounted) Cavalry at Whitaker's Ford. . . . — Map (db m80290) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — The Coker House and the Battle of Champion Hill
The Coker House is the only remaining structure on grounds where the pivotal Battle of Champion Hill was fought on May 16, 1863. Located on the southern margin of the battlefield, the house sustained fire from both Union and . . . — Map (db m110129) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — The Vicksburg Campaign
"Vicksburg is the key," said President Abraham Lincoln. "The war can never be brought to a close until that key is in our pocket." The United States government had to control the lower Mississippi River in order to move agricultural . . . — Map (db m110132) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 217 W. Capitol
. . . — Map (db m90198) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 87 — Ace Records
Ace Records, founded in 1955 by Johnny Vincent (1925-2000), was the most successful Mississippi-based label of the 1950s and 1960s. Ace’s extensive catalog of blues, R&B, pop, rock, and soul included records by Mississippi blues artists Arthur . . . — Map (db m49681) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 57 — Bobby Rush
Front Bobby Rush, a Louisiana native who lived for decades in Chicago, earned the title “king of the chitlin circuit” after relocating to Jackson in the early 1980s. Rush's distinctive “folk funk” style, featured . . . — Map (db m109296) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 19 — Capitol Rally — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front On June 26, 1966, James Meredith's "March Against Fear" — led by Stokely Carmichael. Martin Luther King, Jr., Floyd McKissick, and others after Meredith was shot and wounded — ended its three-week trek from Memphis . . . — Map (db m89745) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Carter Jewelers
Established in 1849 by Carl J. Von Seutter as the Carl J. Von Seutter Jewelry and Art Emporium, this business was once located in the Majestic Arcade Building on Capitol Street. In 1918, one of Von Seutter's employees, John C. Carter, purchased the . . . — Map (db m51181) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 100 — Cassandra Wilson
~Front~ Grammy Award-winning jazz vocalist Cassandra Wilson, a native of Jackson, is known for her broad explorations of various forms of music, including the blues. Her recordings include versions of songs by Delta blues artists Robert . . . — Map (db m72134) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Central Station1904 - 1979
This building was constructed in 1904 as the original fire station for the first paid City of Jackson Fire Department. With numerous additions, now removed, it served the city for almost seventy five years. Abandoned for three years, listed on . . . — Map (db m109406) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Church of Christ (Holiness) U.S.A.
This denomination, which has over 160 member churches in the U.S., was founded ca. 1896 in Jackson by the Rev. Charles Price Jones, preacher, evangelist, and prolific writer of religious songs. — Map (db m105598) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Confederate Burial Ground
Over 450 Confederate soldiers who died in and around Jackson during the Civil War are buried here. Their names are known but not the exact site of each grave, as some were reburied here from graves where they fell. As Jackson awaited the final . . . — Map (db m105596) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 135 — Edwards Hotel
Constructed in 1923 and renamed the King Edward Hotel in 1954, the Edwards Hotel was the site of temporary studios set up by OKeh Records in 1930 and the American Record Corporation in 1935 to record blues artists Bo Carter, Robert Wilkins, Joe . . . — Map (db m49680) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Eudora Welty House
Eudora Welty (1909-2001), one of the most acclaimed writers of the twentieth century, lived in this house for seventy six years. This house was built by Welty's parents, Christian and Chestina Welty, in 1925. Eudora Welty wrote all of her major . . . — Map (db m91895) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — First Presbyterian Church
Organized by five Jacksonians in 1837. Under the leadership of Rev. L.D. Halsey, a church building was constructed herein 1845-46 on land purchased from the state. Utilized for Christian worship until 1951. — Map (db m107069) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Fortenberry-Parkman Farm
This typical family farmstead was in operation from 1860 to 1960. The buildings were moved from Jefferson Davis Co. in 1981 and restored through the generosity of the family, friends and county supervisors. — Map (db m69944) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Galloway Memorial
Methodist Episcopal Church South. First M.E. Church South erected A.D. 1838. Present building erected A.D. 1913-1915. Dedicated to the memory of Bishop Charles B. Galloway — Map (db m105561)
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church(Originally, First Methodist)
This edifice ~ a memorial to Bishop Charles Betts Galloway ~ houses descendants of Jackson's first Christian congregation, worshipping on this site since 1839. — Map (db m105560) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery is the oldest landmark in Jackson. Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature on January 1, 1823. It was later expanded from six to twenty-two acres and given its present name. Among those buried here are numerous governors, public . . . — Map (db m51179) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 5 — Greyhound Bus Station — Mississippi Freedom Trail
(front) On May 28, 1961, a Greyhound bus with nine Freedom Riders aboard arrived here, the third group of Riders into Jackson. The first two came on Trailways buses May 24. That summer 329 people were arrested in Jackson for integrating . . . — Map (db m82000) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 104 — Ishmon Bracey
~Front~ One of the earliest blues musicians from Mississippi to make recordings, Ishmon Bracey (1899-1970) is buried in the nearby Willow Park Cemetery. In the 1920s and '30s Bracey was a leading bluesman in the Jackson area and . . . — Map (db m71512) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Jackson City Hall
Built 1846-47 by slave labor, of handmade brick. Original cost $7505.58. John Oldham, Mayor - Will Gibbon, Arch. Used as hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers during War Between the States, this building was spared when the town, having . . . — Map (db m49682) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 25 — Jackson Municipal Library Sit-InMississippi Freedom Trail
Front On March 27, 1961, nine African American Tougaloo students quietly sat in at the Jackson Municipal Library, which served only white patrons. Police ordered them to Carver Library, the "colored" library, and when they refused, . . . — Map (db m109294) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 6 — Jackson State TragedyMississippi Freedom Trail
Tragedy struck Jackson State College on May 15, 1970, when Jackson police and Mississippi Highway Patrol officers suppressed student unrest with intense gunfire. Phillip Lafayette Gibbs and James Earl Green were killed and many injured when . . . — Map (db m109209) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 35 — Malaco Records
Front Malaco Records, one of America’s foremost labels in the fields of southern soul, blues, and gospel, was founded at this site in 1967. Malaco’s studio was the first state-of-the-art recording facility in Mississippi. The label . . . — Map (db m90193) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Merci Train MemorialHistory of the Merci Train — 40 & 8 Boxcar
Frequently referred to as "40 & 8" cars because of their capacity to carry "40 men or 8 horses," the boxcars were built beginning in the 1870s and used in both World Wars to transport troops and supplies. Each of the cars of the Merci Train was . . . — Map (db m96574) HM WM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — MFWC Headquarters
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs, organized in 1898 in Kosciusko, moved into this headquarters building in 1936. Designed by architect Robert Naef and built by the Works Projects Administration, the structure is of the Georgian-Revival . . . — Map (db m72679) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Millsaps College
Chartered Feb. 21, 1890 by Miss. Methodists. Named for & largely endowed by Maj. R.W. Millsaps. Bishop C.B. Galloway first president of Board; Bishop W.B. Murrah first president of college. — Map (db m51205) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mississippi State Historical MuseumOld Capitol Restoration
Served 1839-1903 as the state capitol: restored 1959-1961 as the State Historical Museum, a division of the Miss. Department of Archives and History. — Map (db m95483) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mississippi's Old Capitol
As the state capitol (1839-1903), this building was the site of the 1861 Secession Convention and 1868 and 1890 Constitutional Conventions. Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and Jefferson Davis spoke here. After housing state offices 1917-1959, the Old . . . — Map (db m71069) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Monument to Women of the Confederacy
(South face) Our Mothers To the women of the Confederacy “Whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died far from the objects of their tenderest love, whose domestic labors contributed . . . — Map (db m16720) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mount Helm Baptist Church - Original Site
On January 8, 1868, Thomas E. and Mary Helm, prominent members of First Presbyterian Church, donated this plot of land to African-Americans who had worshipped in the basement of First Baptist Church from 1835 to 1867. Mount Helm was built here in . . . — Map (db m105597) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Noel House
On this site was the house of Andrew J. and Susie Davis Noel, built 1924. Active in the NAACP, the Noels hosted Freedom Riders here in 1960. In 1948, Gladys Noel Bates filed the first lawsuit in the state seeking equal pay for black public school . . . — Map (db m51173) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Old Capitol
Begun in 1833. Here Henry Clay, Andrew Jackson, and Jefferson Davis spoke. Was scene of 1861 Secession Convention, Black and Tan Convention of 1868, & 1890 Constitutional Convention. — Map (db m71070) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Osburn Stand
To improve communication to the Old Southwest, the Natchez Trace was declared a post road in 1800. Afterwards, with Choctaw permission, improvements to this section of the Old Trace began. In 1805, the Choctaw allowed inns, known as stands, to be . . . — Map (db m87361) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 164 — Otis Spann & Little Johnnie Jones
~ Front Side ~ Otis Spann and Little Johnnie Jones, two of the acknowledged masters of Chicago blues piano, were cousins who lived in Jackson in the 1930s and '40s. On the vibrant post-World War II Chicago scene they both played with blues . . . — Map (db m81972) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Pocahontas Mounds
Built and used between A.D 1000 and 1300, this platform mound and a nearby burial mound mark the ceremonial and political seat of a regional chiefdom of the Plaquemine culture. A thatched, clay-plastered ritual temple or chief's lodging stood atop . . . — Map (db m77266) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 66 — Queen of Hearts
Front The Queen of Hearts, a primary venue for down-home blues in Jackson, opened at this location in the 1970s. During the following decades, owner-operator Chellie B. Lewis presented the blues bands of King Edward, Sam Myers, Big Bad . . . — Map (db m90194) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 116 — Scott Radio Service Company
Front Scott Radio Service Company, located at 128 North Gallatin Street, just north of this site, was one of the first businesses in Mississippi to offer professional recording technology. The Jackson-based Trumpet record label used . . . — Map (db m90196) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Smith Park
Jackson's only surviving "public square" from Peter Vandorn's original city plan of 1822. Named for James Smith, Scottish manufacturer, Confederate benefactor, and Jackson resident, 1834-1855, who donated funds for a fence around the park in 1884. . . . — Map (db m105562) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Smith Robertson School
Built in 1894 as Jackson's first public school for black students. Commonly known as the "Mother School," it was named for Smith Robertson, a respected community leader, and Jackson's first black city alderman. Among the school's graduates is author . . . — Map (db m94959) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
This church, organized in 1883, began as a Sunday School mission to blacks under the episcopate of Bishop Hugh M. Thompson. The first instructor was a Mr. Williams, an African American. The Rev. Richard T. Middleton became the first priest in 1904. . . . — Map (db m51176) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 12 — Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge
During the era of segregation, traveling African Americans had few options for lodging. In Jackson, many black musicians stayed at the Summers Hotel, established in 1944 by W.J. Summers. In 1966 Summers opened a club in the hotel basement that he . . . — Map (db m71513) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Temple Beth Israel
Jackson's Jewish congregation was organized in 1861. While not the first congregation in Mississippi, Beth Israel was the first to build a temple. In 1867-1868 a wood frame structure was built on this site. Used as both a school and a house of . . . — Map (db m40494) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The "Cotton Bale" Battery
During the Siege of Jackson, July 10-17, 1863, Confederate Gen. William W. Loring's division held defensive positions extending east of the Canton Road to the Pearl River. A number of artillery batteries were posted on this line, the most prominent . . . — Map (db m107070) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 42 — The Alamo Theatre
The Alamo Theatre opened at this location in 1949. Prior to that the Alamo occupied two other spots in the area. The theatre showed movies, hosted music competitions, and presented blues and jazz concerts by artists such as Nat “King” . . . — Map (db m51197) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Eagle and Bowman Hotels
Two of Jackson’s historic hotels once stood at this site. The Eagle Hotel, originally a tavern, was built in 1823. Andrew Jackson was a guest here in 1840. Alexander McClung, editor and Mexican War hero, committed suicide at the hotel in 1855. The . . . — Map (db m51178) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Gowdy Community
The Gowdy community was first settled prior to 1903. Named for Mr. W.B. Gowdy, former president of the Delta Cotton Oil and Fertilizer Plant. This African American community was awarded its own U.S. postal stop in 1915. The Gowdy community is . . . — Map (db m71366) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 25 — Trumpet Records
Trumpet Records was the first record company in Mississippi to achieve national stature through its distribution, sales, radio airplay and promotion. Willard and Lillian McMurry launched the label from their retail store, the Record Mart, here at . . . — Map (db m51196) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — U.S.S. Mississippi
Figurehead of the Second Battleship Mississippi Presented to the State of Mississippi By the U.S. Navy Department December 1909 — Map (db m5142) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Union Battery Position
Following the surrender of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863, Union forces under William T. Sherman pursued Joseph E. Johnston's Confederate army to Jackson and laid siege to the city. North of Jackson, Parke's IX Corps moved astride the Canton Road and . . . — Map (db m71101) HM WM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 12 — Woolworth's Sit-in
(front) Woolworth's variety store was the scene of a pivotal event in the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement on May 28, 1963. When three black Tougaloo College students sat down at the white lunch counter seeking service, the nonviolent . . . — Map (db m105565) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — A "Soldiers' Battle" in the Underbrush
Upstream, to your left, Confederate and Union soldiers fought through the creek’s thick underbrush. Here at the far right of the Confederate line, Col. Hiram Granbury’s 7th Texas regiment, CSA, charged into the thickets but were confronted by Ohio . . . — Map (db m85100) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — A Battle Unfolds
From this vantage point, Maj. Gen. James McPherson, USA, should have been able to watch the unfolding of the battle, but the smoke and dust clouds hung motionless near the ground all day. Nevertheless, he was able to see a skirmish line along the . . . — Map (db m84941) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — A Guide to the Campaign TrailThe Vicksburg Campaign and Siege — Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Parker Hills
In April of 1861, rumors of Civil War became a reality at Charleston harbor when Fort Sumter was fired upon by Southern forces. Many leaders, both North and South, believed that a dash to capture the opposing side’s capital city would bring a quick . . . — Map (db m85138) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Battle of Raymond
May 12, 1863, on Fourteen Mile Creek, 2,500 Confederate troops under Gen. John Gregg attacked a 10,000 man corps under Gen. James B. McPherson. Outnumbered, Gregg was forced to withdraw to Jackson. — Map (db m26145) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Battle of Raymond
By the time of the Civil War, the Natchez Trace had lost its significance as a national road. One of the sections ran from Port Gibson toward Jackson but the route veered from the original Trace to reach Raymond. In the spring of 1863, General U.S. . . . — Map (db m87360) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Battle of Raymond - This Walking Trail
     “A single field, dotted with spots of timber, separated the Lower Gallatin and Utica Roads, and the main force of the enemy was on the latter road. Finding that I would necessarily be driven into town by his artillery unless I moved . . . — Map (db m84987) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Bledsoe's Battery
Anticipating that the enemy would approach Raymond from both of these roads, Confederate General Gregg positioned Capt. Hiram Bledsoe’s battery of three cannon and a battalion of infantry here to defend Raymond from either direction. However, on May . . . — Map (db m85122) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — C.S. Bledsoe's Missouri Battery (3 Guns)Gregg's Task Force
C.S. Bledsoe’s Missouri Battery (3 Guns), Gregg’s Task Force; Capt. Hiram M. Bledsoe. Around 9:30 a.m., May 12, 1863, Brig. Gen. John Gregg placed Captain Bledsoe’s two 12-pounder smoothbores and one Whitworth rifle here on a knoll at . . . — Map (db m85124) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — C.S. Gregg's Task Force1st Tennessee Infantry Battalion
C.S. Gregg’s Task Force Brig. Gen. John Gregg 1st Tennessee Infantry Battalion Maj. Stephen H. Colms This battalion was initially posted north of here to the right of Bledsoe’s battery in support of the three guns. About 2 p.m., Major . . . — Map (db m85102) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — C.S. Gregg's Task Force1st Mississippi Battalion State Troops
C.S. Gregg’s Task Force Miscellaneous Attached Units, May 12, 1863 1st Mississippi Battalion State Troops Capt. James Hall The 40-man detachment picketed the road to Utica and contested McPherson’s advance, but was unable to penetrate . . . — Map (db m85123) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — C.S. Gregg's Task ForceGregg's Brigade
C.S. Gregg’s Task Force Brig. Gen. John Gregg Gregg’s Brigade Col. Cyrus A. Sugg 3d Tennessee Infantry, Col. Calvin H. Walker 10th & 30th Tennessee Consolidated Infantry, Col. Randal MacGavock (K) Lt. Col. James J. Turner 41st . . . — Map (db m85125) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Confederate Cemetery
The Confederate Cemetery in Raymond contains the graves of 140 Confederate soldiers who were killed during the battle of Raymond on May 12, 1863, or who died as a result of their wounds. Most of the men were from Tennessee and Texas; many died in . . . — Map (db m85108) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Deans Stand
The Treaty of Doaks Stand, 1820, opened this land to white settlement. Land was quickly claimed, and pioneer families established themselves in this wilderness. William Dean and his wife Margaret settled near here on the Old Natchez Trace in 1823. . . . — Map (db m87359) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — DeGolyer's Battery and the Artist's Eye
As soon as the fighting broke out that morning, six guns of the 8th Michigan Light Artillery, marching near the front of the column, unlimbered and “went into battery” about a hundred yards from the bridge. They returned fire on the . . . — Map (db m85032) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Eyewitnesses in the Storm
     “One officer, not more than thirty feet from where I stood, quietly loaded up an old Meerschaum, lit a match, his pistol hanging form his wrist, and when he had got his pipe agoing, he got hold of his pistol again, and went on . . . — Map (db m85099) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Gregg's Battle Plan
Confederate Brig. Gen. John Gregg arrived in Raymond on May 11 with orders from Pemberton to contain the right flank of the Federal army as it advanced north and determine where it was heading. Thinking he faced a force only half the size of his, . . . — Map (db m85021) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Hinds County Confederate Memorial
(Front Side) Confederate We of the South Remember, We of the South Revere. (Rear Side) Erected by the people of Hinds County in grateful memory of their men who in 1861-65 gave or offered to give their lives for the . . . — Map (db m85144) WM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — McPherson's Deployment
Marching north toward Raymond on the Utica Road, the vanguard of Logan’s Union division was met by gunfire as the soldiers approached the Fourteenmile Creek bridge. Although confident that he outnumbered the enemy, Maj. Gen. James McPherson . . . — Map (db m85039) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Raymond Courthouse
Built, 1857-9, by the famous Weldon brothers with skilled slave labor crew. After the Battle of Raymond, fought 1 ¼ m. S.W. of here, May 12, 1863, this building served as a Confederate hospital. — Map (db m85140) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark’s was organized in 1837 by Rev. James McGregor Dale and construction of the sanctuary was completed in 1855. Following the battle of Raymond on May 12, 1863, the church was used as a hospital for Federal soldiers. The interior of the church . . . — Map (db m85142) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — Texas Memorial
(Front Side) Texas Remembers the valor and devotion of its sons who participated in the Battle of Raymond and in other engagements of the Vicksburg Campaign. Upon this field on May 12, 1863, soldiers of the 7th Texas Infantry, . . . — Map (db m85976) WM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — The Battle of Raymond as a Pivotal Point in the Vicksburg Campaign
     “Move your command tonight to the next cross-roads if there is water, and tomorrow with all activity into Raymond.”      Maj. Gen. Grant to Maj. Gen. McPherson, USA, May 9, 1863      “Move your brigade promptly to . . . — Map (db m84988) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — The Campaign Turns East
By late afternoon, as Brig. Gen. John Gregg, his officers, and soldiers realized they were seriously outnumbered they managed to extricate themselves from the fight and withdraw through Raymond to Jackson. From here you can see the road that . . . — Map (db m85101) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — The Little J Railroad
Two historic transportation routes are incorporated into this walking trail. The concrete highway, ca. 1927, is generally the same route used by the Union army marching toward Raymond in May 1863. The bridge and highway, however, are more . . . — Map (db m84990) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — 53 — The McCoy Brothers
(side 1) Joe McCoy and his brother Charlie McCoy, both born on a farm near Raymond, performed and recorded widely during the pre-World War II era, but their most important legacy may rest with the songs they wrote or cowrote. These . . . — Map (db m70324) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — The Vicksburg Campaign
“Vicksburg is the key,” said President Abraham Lincoln. “The war can never be brought to a close until that key is in our pocket.” The United States government had to control the lower Mississippi River in order to move . . . — Map (db m84989) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — 16 — To Clinton and Jackson
On May 12, 1863, two divisions of the XVII Corps marched from the Roach Farm on the Utica Road and defeated Gregg’s Confederate brigade at Raymond. The next day, McPherson’s men moved to Clinton and cut the railroad. Meanwhile, two divisions of the . . . — Map (db m85109) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — U.S. 11th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery
U.S. 11th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery; 7th Div.; 17th Corps; Army of the Tennessee. Lieut. Fletcher E. Armstrong. The two 12-pounder howitzers, two 6-pounder smoothbores, and two 12-pounder James rifles of this battery were the only . . . — Map (db m84928) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — U.S. 3d Battery, Ohio Light Artillery
U.S. 3d Battery, Ohio Light Artillery; 3d Div.; 17th Corps; Army of the Tennessee. Capt. William S. Williams This battery of four 12-pounder James rifles and two 6-pounder smoothbores was the third and final battery of Maj. Gen. John . . . — Map (db m84930) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — U.S. 8th Battery, Michigan Light Artillery
U.S. 8th Battery, Michigan Light Artillery; 3rd Div.; 17th Corps; Army of the Tennessee. Capt. Samuel De Golyer This was the third and final position of De Golyer’s battery of two 12-pounder howitzers and four 12-pounder James rifles . . . — Map (db m84929) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — U.S. 8th Battery, Michigan Light Artillery
U.S. 8th Battery, Michigan Light Artillery; 3d Div.; 17th Corps; Army of the Tennessee. Capt. Samuel De Golyer. This battery of “flying artillery” was the initial battery of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan’s division to arrive on . . . — Map (db m85038) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Raymond — U.S. Battery D, 1st Illinois Light Artillery
U.S. Battery D, 1st Illinois Light Artillery; 3d Div.; 17th Corps; Army of the Tennessee Capt. Henry A. Rogers. Formerly the “McAllister Battery” of the Battle of Shiloh, Captain Rogers’ four 24-pounder howitzers arrived on . . . — Map (db m84927) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Reganton — 10 — Historic Crossroads
On May 9, two divisions of McPherson's XVII Corps marched to Reganton, then known as Crossroads and moved southeast toward Utica, camping at Meyer's Farm three miles southeast. On May 10, the XIII Corps marched through here from Big Sand Creek . . . — Map (db m103873) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Utica — 9 — Concentration of Troops
Three divisions of the XIII Corps camped here May 7-9, 1863, while a reserve division was at Little Sand Creek, two miles southwest. On May 8, Grant reviewed the troops here. On May 9, the XVII Corps marched through Reganton and turned toward Utica. . . . — Map (db m103867) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Utica — Lower Choctaw Boundary
(Left Panel) Lower Choctaw Boundary      The line of trees to your left has been a boundary for 200 years. It was established in 1765 and marked the eastern limits of the Old Natchez District. This boundary ran from a point 12 . . . — Map (db m87312) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Utica — 12 — Old Auburn
On May 11, 1863, two division of the XV Corps camped here. Water was scarce, and Sherman reported to Grant that he was "short of provisions and ammunition" while captured mail indicated "many million rations in Vicksburg." The next morning, Grant . . . — Map (db m103891) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Utica — 8 — To The Railroad
On May 8, 1863, as the Union XV Corps left Grand Gulf, two divisions of the XVII Corps rested at Hankinson's Ferry and Rocky Springs to wait for rations. Three divisions of the XIII Corps camped at Big Sand Creek, one and a half miles northeast, . . . — Map (db m103861) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Utica — Utica
Incorporated March 5, 1880, and named for the native city of Ozias Osborn, an early settler from New York. Utica is noted for the great number of its citizens who have become educators of the deaf. — Map (db m80234) HM

118 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement