About 1812 William Doak established his stand or tavern on the Natchez Trace which is five miles north of the Parkway at this point. The Treaty of Doaks Stand was signed there in 1820.
Because . . . — — Map (db m87493) HM
The Club Desire, which stood across the street from this site, was one of Mississippi's premier blues and rhythm & blues nightclubs from the late 1940s through the early 1960s. Owner Clarence Chinn presented the top national acts, including . . . — — Map (db m80035) HM
Earliest services held, 1840, by "Fighting" Bishop Leonidas Polk. Parish organized, 1848, with Edward Fontaine as rector. Building, dating from 1853, is Canton's oldest church structure. — — Map (db m105600) HM
Hickory Street, known locally as "The Hollow," was a hub of social life, commerce, and entertainment for the African American community of central Mississippi for several decades, up through the 1970s. Canton's most famous blues . . . — — Map (db m97089) HM
This Greek Revival courthouse has served as Madison County's seat of government since its construction, 1854–58. Canton, incorporated in 1836, is the fourth county seat of Madison Co., which was created in 1828. — — Map (db m755) HM
CORE Activists David Dennis, Matheo Suarez, and George Raymond opened a Madison County office in 1963 to register black voters, the majority in white~controlled Canton. Co~directors Raymond and Suarez were joined by Annie Devine and . . . — — Map (db m105553) HM
This monument marks the Natchez Trace over which our pioneer ancestors came to Mississippi. It is located on the site of Madisonville, an early county seat of Madison County.
Erected by the Mississippi Daughters of the American Revolution, . . . — — Map (db m87496) HM
Pine forests of the south played a major role in the growth of the Nation and have become a southern economic mainstay along with soybeans, cotton, and other agricultural products. Today, through reforestation and management as a crop, pines produce . . . — — Map (db m87492)
Water tupelo and baldcypress trees can live in deep water for long periods. After taking root in summer when the swamp is nearly dry, the seedlings can stay alive in water deep enough to kill other plants.
This trail leads through an . . . — — Map (db m87490)
Archeologists tell us there was a house here sometime around 500 A.D. and that the pottery found in the mounds was made before 700 A.D. Likely, the population was continuous over centuries with customs being handed from generation to generation, . . . — — Map (db m87364) HM
At the end of the French and Indian War in 1763, Great Britain gained control of the territory between the Appalachians and the Mississippi River except for the New Orleans area. The northern boundary of West Florida was first established at 31° . . . — — Map (db m87366) HM
U.S. agents like Silas Dinsmoor lived among the Choctaw and represented their interests while implementing U.S. policy. His duties included surveying and preventing illegal settlement on Choctaw land. He also encouraged the Choctaw to be more . . . — — Map (db m87362) HM
Named for the Choctaw Indian Agency
once located in this area, Old Agency
Road is a portion of the original road
system that formed the old Natchez
Trace. Its sunken roadbed and high
earthen banks are evocative of the
narrow road that . . . — — Map (db m115374) HM
Named for the Choctaw Indian Agency once located in this area, Old Agency Road is a portion of the original road system that formed the old Natchez Trace. Its sunken roadbed and high earthen banks are evocative of the narrow road that linked Natchez . . . — — Map (db m115375) HM
Two portions of a nearly 200 year old wilderness road, the Old Natchez Trace, are preserved here. Nearly 500 miles long, it grew from Indian trails to a national road and communications link between the Old Southwest and the United States to the . . . — — Map (db m87363) HM
What is now the City of Ridgeland was
first settled in 1832 when William Austin
purchased land in this area near the
Natchez Trace. James Yellowley bought
the property in 1853. He sold it in 1896 to
Gorton Nichols and Edward Treakle, who . . . — — Map (db m115381) HM
In 1698 the French explorer, Pierre Le Moyne, Sieur d'Iberville, sailed into the mouth of this river and found pearls. He named it "River of Pearls."
The Natchez Trace, a hundred years later, avoided the marshy lowlands by following the ridge . . . — — Map (db m86031) HM