Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Marion County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
First Baptist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
March 22, 2018
First Baptist Church Marker
Mississippi (Marion County), Columbia — First Baptist Church
In 1883, Pastor T. S. Howell from Bunker Hill Church in rural Marion County, and six local believers met at the courthouse to organize a Baptist church within the city limits of Columbia. Early meetings were held in the courthouse, the Masonic Hall, . . . — Map (db m50135) HM
Mississippi (Marion County), Columbia — Gov. Hugh L. White Mansion
Built between 1925 and 1927 by Jackson architect Claude H. Lindsley and furnished by Marshall Fields, this Spanish Colonial Revival-style mansion was the home of Governor Hugh Lawson White. White served two non-consecutive terms as governor of . . . — Map (db m115552) HM
Mississippi (Marion County), Columbia — Hanging of Will Purvis
On February 7, 1894, crowds gathered near this site to witness the hanging of Will Purvis, who had been convicted of the murder of local farmer Will Buckley. When the trap door was released Purvis fell straight through to the ground, the noose . . . — Map (db m115404) HM
Mississippi (Marion County), Columbia — Mississippi Rural Center
The Mississippi Rural Center was dedicated on February 9, 1949, and established with a $100,000 gift from the Women's Society of Christian Services of the Methodist Church. Created to provide opportunities for African American families, the center . . . — Map (db m115553) HM
Mississippi (Marion County), Columbia — Temporary State Capital
The 5th session of the Mississippi Legislature met in Columbia in Nov. 1821, and in a special session in June 1822. Walter Leake was inaugurated Governor here in January 1822; the Legislature passed laws for the education of the poor; approved Le . . . — Map (db m50070) HM
Mississippi (Marion County), Foxworth — Ford House
Located 16 miles south, is oldest house in Pearl River Valley. Built by Methodist preacher, John Ford, who came in 1805 from S.C. Here Pearl R. Convention met in 1816. — Map (db m115452) HM
Mississippi (Marion County), Sandy Hook — Ford Home
Located one mile east. The oldest house in Pearl River Valley. Built about 1805 by Methodist preacher, John Ford, who came from South Carolina. Andrew Jackson stopped here, 1814, enroute to New Orleans. — Map (db m115379) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement