Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monroe County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
View of marker near the Aberdeen Middle School. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 9, 2017
View of marker near the Aberdeen Middle School.
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — Aberdeen
Formed 1834; chartered 1837; in 1849 it was made county seat of Monroe, the first county in the state north of Vicksburg. Cotton trade center and former port for Mobile trade. — Map (db m102590) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — 90 — Aberdeen Mississippi Blues
Front In 1940 singer-guitarist Booker “Bukka” White, who lived in Aberdeen during the 1920s and ‘30s, recorded the blues classic “Aberdeen Mississippi Blues.” Twenty-three years later the song’s title enabled . . . — Map (db m102609) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — Brigadier General John Gregg
A native of Alabama, John Gregg (1828-1864) moved to Texas where he served as a member of that state's secession convention and later in the Provisional Confederate Congress. Elected colonel of the 7th Texas Infantry, Gregg was promoted to Brigadier . . . — Map (db m102606) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — DeSoto Expedition — 1540
Hernando DeSoto & his expedition entered present Monroe Co. following an Indian trail from Buttahatchie River. They crossed the Tombigbee R. ¼ mi. E. Dec. 16, 1540 & marched up what is now this street. — Map (db m102601) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — Dr. W. A. Evans — 1865-1948
Physician, historian, author. Originated syndicated health column. Chicago health commissioner. Pioneered in pure water and milk laws. Founded Evans Memorial library. — Map (db m102599) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — Judge Eugene O. Sykes
Judge Sykes, 1876-1945, was Justice of the Miss. Supreme Court 1961-1925, and Chairman of Federal Radio Comm. until becoming first Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, serving until 1935. — Map (db m102589) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — Rueben Davis — (1813 - 1890)
Home of noted politician, criminal lawyer, judge, legislator, congressman of U.S. & Confederacy, author of book, "Recollections of Mississippi & Mississippians." — Map (db m102587) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Aberdeen — St. John's Episcopal Church
Parish organized May 10, 1848. Cornerstone laid Oct. 16, 1851. Dr. Joseph H. Ingraham, rector and architect. Building fund started by Jane Martin Dalton. — Map (db m102595) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865
Front Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865 Right Side List of Members Stonewall Camp #427, Amory, Monroe County, MS Rear To the women of the Confederacy whose pious ministrations to our . . . — Map (db m102891) WM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Becker Post Office — Circa 1920
Becker's first Post Office building operating from 1920 until early 1960s. Given to the Amory Regional Museum by Mr. Hershel Sandlin in memory of his wife Mrs. Kay Sandlin — Map (db m102616) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Bienville's Fort
On May 22, 1736, a military force commanded by Jean Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, Governor of French Louisiana, landed nearby to attack the Chickasaw. A palisade of 600 log posts was built near here as a base of operations. Defeated in the Battle . . . — Map (db m102615) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Chickasaw Cession
Area E. of Tombigbee R., S. of Gaines' Trace ceded in Chickasaw Council House Treaty, 1816. Became part of Monroe Co., 1821. South portion severed, 1830, at formation of Lowndes Co. — Map (db m102611) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Cotton Gin Port
South one mile. Initially an Indian trading post at southern terminus of Gaines Trace. Named for the cotton gin built by U.S. Government for the Chickasaw ca. 1801, it grew into an important river town and cotton market with formation of Monroe . . . — Map (db m102613) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Gilmore Sanitarium
The Gilmore Sanitarium was built in 1916 by Ellie Davidson Gilmore and his wife, Virginia. This twenty-two bed facility included a laboratory and operating room. The sanitarium served as Amory's primary hospital until 1961, after which the building . . . — Map (db m102610) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Mound Cemetery
Mound built circa 100 A.D. for the burial of high-status members of an unknown Indian tribal group. Cemetery established during the mid-1800s by the Nabers family and other early settlers of Monroe County. — Map (db m102612) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Nettleton — Camargo 1847
2 mi. NW was the flourishing port of Camargo, named by veterans for their Mexican war camp. The town had a steamboat landing, schools, cemetery, and church. Confederates won a skirmish here, July 14, 1864 — Map (db m50325) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Prairie — Gulf Ordnance Plant
The Gulf Ordnance Plant was a military munitions plant where shells were packed for use during World War II. This plant was in operation from 1942 until the war ended in 1945. Managed by Procter and Gamble, the plant covered 6,720 acres of land, . . . — Map (db m102585) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Prairie — The Lenoir Plantation
Built ca. 1847 as the homestead of William Thomas Lenoir, the plantation was continuously owned and farmed by the Lenoir family until its sale in August of 2000. The Lenoir home is the only Classical Revival style house in Mississippi. On February . . . — Map (db m102583) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement