Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Noxubee County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Approximate location of former Charles Clark house. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, February 19, 2016
Approximate location of former Charles Clark house.
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — Allen-Morgan Place
In 1865 Macon became the last center of Mississippi's wartime government, following its evacuation from Jackson and Meridian. A house on this site became the executive residence of Governor Charles Clark. — Map (db m92652) HM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — 46 — Black Prairie Blues
Front The roots of blues and gospel music run deep in the African American culture of the Black Prairie region. Among the performers born near Macon here in Noxubee County, Eddy Clearwater, Carey Bell, and Jesse Fortune went on to . . . — Map (db m92636) HM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — Calhoun Institute
The Calhoun Institute, a school for girls, was est. here in 1851 by W.R. Poindexter. From early 1864 until the end of the Civil War it was used for the state capitol. Now site of the Noxubee County High School. — Map (db m92656) HM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — Dancing Rabbit Creek
West 15 miles is the site which gave name to last treaty with the Choctaws, Sept. 7, 1830, whereby the remaining tribal lands in the state were opened to white settlement. — Map (db m92655) HM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — First Court Term of Noxubee County
Noxubee County was formed on December 3, 1833. The first term of the county's circuit court was held in January 1834 in the south end of the Frith Hotel, a log cabin-style home owned by Joseph H. Frith. With Judge Thomas Sterling presiding and R.J. . . . — Map (db m92658) HM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — Macon Presbyterian Church
Est. 1837. Enrolled into Tombecbee Presbytery, 1842. Site of original church at S.E. corner, block 7. Present site deeded to church 1889 by R.C. Patty; building erected 1890; burned 1941. Rebuilt 1947. — Map (db m92657) HM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — Noxubee County Confederate Monument
To our Confederate Dead. Names listed on monument Wm. Franklin Wm. Cason James Goodwin Ike Griffin Jasper Holmes Wm. Hurt B.T. Tatum Franklin Rogers A. Rickey Abe Ware J.O. Gavin Sam Connor Joe Robbins J. Luttrell S. . . . — Map (db m92669) WM
Mississippi (Noxubee County), Macon — Old Noxubee County Jail
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m92667) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement