On U.S. 98 at Pike 93 Central, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 98.
Two mi. N. Named for Maj. A.H. Holmes; second county seat of Pike Co., 1816-1875. It declined when bypassed by railroad, 1857. Cemetery contains graves of Rev. War soldier Peter Quin and other early settlers. — — Map (db m122616) HM
On Tennessee Street (County Highway 93 N) north of Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Pike County was formed on December 9, 1815; carved out of Marion County. Her first Seat of Justice was located in the bustling community of Holmesville (Ratified by the Mississippi General Assembly
n December 11, 1816). Situated on the Bogue . . . — — Map (db m129213) HM
Near South Prewett Street south of Regan Road, on the right when traveling south.
During the Civil War, The Central House Hotel that was located near the railroad was converted to a hospital. When more than 200 soldiers died there from wounds or disease, they were buried here. Many of the men are unidentified. Civil War veterans . . . — — Map (db m102961) HM
On Cunnigen St. south of North Street, on the left when traveling north.
Harper Baptist Seminary was organized here in 1941. The school's origin can be traced to Harper Baptist College, formerly located near Gloster in Amite County. Named in honor of Dr. Simon Harper, a former slave and community leader, the college was . . . — — Map (db m102866) HM
On East Bay Street, on the right when traveling east.
Pike County, named for Zebulon Pike, was organized in 1815. In 1875, the county seat was moved from Holmesville to Magnolia, and a courthouse was built the next year. All records were lost when the wood-frame building burned in 1881. Rebuilt in . . . — — Map (db m49943) HM
Front Acclaimed as the father of rock and roll, Bo Diddley (Ellas Bates McDaniel) was born near Magnolia, south of McComb, on December 30, 1928. Diddley wrote and recorded such hits as "I'm A Man", "Bo Diddley', "Say Man" and "I'm a . . . — — Map (db m104326) HM
Side 1 Elected president of the Pike County branch of the NAACP in 1954, Curtis Conway Bryant (1917-2001) played a major role in early civil rights activism of southwest Mississippi. He campaigned to expand membership in the NAACP, led large . . . — — Map (db m108990) HM
On Tennessee Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Tennessee Street.
On December 9, 1815, the General Assembly of the Mississippi Territory created Pike County from a portion of Marion County and named the new county in honor of Brig. Gen. Zebulon M. Pike, who was killed in action during the War of 1812. The first . . . — — Map (db m101510) HM
Built in 1811 by Henry Quin, son of early settlers, Peter and Judith Robinson Quin, and grandfather of Congressman Percy Quin. Nearby is first painted residence to be erected in Pike County. — — Map (db m108943) HM
On South Broadway Street (U.S. 51) south of Main Street/Delaware Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Chartered 1872. Named for Col. H.S. McComb, I.C. Ry. president who established shops here. J.J.White Lumber Co. set-up 1893. McComb Female Inst., est. 1894, now Belhaven College. — — Map (db m108901) HM
On Summit Street, on the right when traveling south.
Side A Summit Street was a thriving African American business district during the era of segregation, as well as a hotbed of musical activity. Blues, jazz, and rhythm & blues bands entertained at various nightclubs, cafes, and hotels, and . . . — — Map (db m51528) HM
On Tennessee Street at Madison Street, on the right when traveling north on Tennessee Street.
During the War of 1812, General William Carroll, en route to New Orleans, marched his Tennessee Militia through Pike County, crossed the Bogue Chitto
River north of Holmesville and camped along Love's Creek. While returning from New Orleans via . . . — — Map (db m101512) HM
On Liberty Street (State Highway 584) at 1st Road West, on the right when traveling east on Liberty Street.
Raised in Osyka, the versatile T. Tommy Cutrer succeeded as a country and gospel singer and instrumentalist and also as a businessman and politician, but his greatest fame came as a radio/television personality from the 1940s through the 1990s. As . . . — — Map (db m51625) HM
On Campground Road east of State Highway 590/571, on the left when traveling east.
Established in 1843 by eight founders at
Gatlin's Camp Ground on the Bogue Chitto
River, Felder Campground is among the
oldest religious camp meeting sites in the
United States. Also known as Otapasso
or Topisaw, the camp meeting is named . . . — — Map (db m122919) HM
On West Railroad Avenue at Robb Street, on the right when traveling north on West Railroad Avenue.
On the morning of April 30, 1963, Union Col. B.H. Grierson led the 6th and 7th Illinois Cavalry south on the New Orleans, Jackson and Greta Northern Railroad, burning the Bogue Chitto depot and a number of bridges, trestles, water towers, . . . — — Map (db m117518) HM
On Campground Road south of Highway 591, on the left when traveling south.
Pike County was developed in an area which was originally occupied by the Chickasaw, Choctaw and Natchez Indians. The Otapasso tribe gave their name to the creek which is now named Topisaw. The region had been claimed successively by France, . . . — — Map (db m127144) HM
On South Laurel Street near Copiah Street, on the right when traveling south.
Here, in 1868, with aid of Peabody Fund, was set up Peabody Public School, first in South Mississippi, with Charles H. Otken as Supt. This school became a noted institution of learning. — — Map (db m117343) HM