St. Alban's Episcopal Church was first built in 1858 along the Jackson-Vicksburg Road, now known as The Warriors Trail, and consecrated in 1859. During the Civil War, St. Alban's became a haven for civilians fleeing war-torn Vicksburg. In May 1863, . . . — — Map (db m50999) HM
The Brierfield and Hurricane plantations of Jefferson and Joseph Davis were located west of here at Davis Bend. War, floods, and fire have destroyed most of the physical evidence of these plantation homes. — — Map (db m103795) HM
Throughout the winter of 1862-63, Union Major General Ulysses S. Grant orchestrated a series of Bayou Expeditions aimed at capturing Vicksburg. The Steele's Bayou Expedition was the most daring of these operations and was personally led by Rear . . . — — Map (db m65009) WM
The longest continually-running melodrama in the world began with modest roots on March 28, 1936 by Julia Arnold on a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers barge that had been redesigned to resemble a riverboat and renamed the Dixie Belle.
"Gold in the . . . — — Map (db m104084) HM
One of Vicksburg and Warren County's greatest natural resources is its hardwood forests. For years, the harvesting of timber was hard work that was achieved by hard men and animals working in unison.
After trees were cut, oxen and mules were . . . — — Map (db m104128) HM
From the earliest settlers to Vicksburg, African Americans have made significant contributions to social, educational, religious, economic and political progress.
Vicksburg was home to Hiram Rhodes Revels, the first African American U. S. . . . — — Map (db m103994) HM
On a balmy Saturday afternoon in the winter of 1953, a tornado etched a path of destruction from Vicksburg's waterfront through downtown and into a northeast residential area.
The December 5th twister is to date (2006) one of only two F5 . . . — — Map (db m104086) HM
Famed musician and prolific song writer Willie Dixon was born in Vicksburg in 1915. In 1936, he moved to Chicago, taking with him an appreciation of African field songs, gospel, blues, and country music.
Over the next 50 years, Dixon created a . . . — — Map (db m104145) HM
Methodism played a formative role in the founding of Vicksburg and Warren County.
In 1799, Rev. Tobias Gibson, a circuit rider in the Mississippi Territory established the Hopewell congregation in Warren County. In 1814, Rev. Newitt Vick, a . . . — — Map (db m104127) HM
Vicksburg voters opposed secession but once the war began they supported the Confederacy, over 2500 local men joining the Southern ranks.
The first attack on Vicksburg was in the spring of 1862. The enemy was repulsed, Col. James Autry telling . . . — — Map (db m104036) HM
Because it was the lone Blakely rifled cannon in all the Vicksburg defenses, the Confederate soldiers called this 7.44-inch gun, "The Widow Blakely." During the siege it was mounted about 1 mile north of its present position. On May 22, 1863, the . . . — — Map (db m97124) HM
Probably one of the most picturesque views of Vicksburg is that of the two bridges over the Mississippi River. The first bridge was constructed in 1930 for $6,500,000 to transport vehicles and trains.
It was, at that time, the only bridge across . . . — — Map (db m104083) HM
Capt. William A. Davidson.
The right section of the company, under Lieut.
Jeff Thompson, served two 3-inch rifles in this
position from about May 21 to the end of the
defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109518) HM
Capt. Paul T. Dismukes.
The company served one 10-inch Columbiad in a position not in the park, about 266 yards southwest of this tablet, from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109494) HM
Capt. William P. Parks.
The company served one 32-pounder rifled gun in a position, not in the park, about 200 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m110743) HM
Capt. H.T. Norman
The company served one 9-inch Dahlgren gun in a position, not in the park, immediately west of the Harwood house and about 66 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to about June 29, when the gun, with a detachment . . . — — Map (db m110842) HM
Lieut. G.W. Miller;
Lieut. D.M. Upton.
The company served one 8-inch Columbiad in a position, not in the park, about 200 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m110742) HM
Capt. T. N. Johnston.
A detachment of the company served two 10-inch Columbiads in a position, not in the park about 150 yards northwest of this tablet, from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. They were creditably and . . . — — Map (db m109450) HM
Capt. T.N. Johnston
A detachment of the company, under Lieut. P.R. Cousins, served one 7-inch Brooke's rifled gun in a position, not in the park, about 233 yards west of this tablet, from May 18 to June 28, 1863, when it was disabled . . . — — Map (db m109530) HM
One 42-pounder smoothbore gun was mounted in a position, not in the park, near the end of the spur known as "Devil's Backbone" and about 100 yards west of this tablet from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. It was not in exclusive . . . — — Map (db m110840) HM
U.S. Battery Benton. Acting Master J. Frank Reed.A detachment of Battery E, 1st Missouri Light Artillery under Lieut. Joseph B. Atwater and a detail of enlisted men of the 34th Iowa Infantry, all under Acting Master J. Frank Reed of the gunboat . . . — — Map (db m39567) HM
Capt. Benjamin F. Rodgers.
The battery served four James rifles in temporary positions on the investment line of its division from May 25. One section served two James rifles in this position from about June 22 to the end of the . . . — — Map (db m109364) HM
The rise of the automobile and the development of a national highway system in the 1920's and '30s coincided with the initial boom of blues, jazz, and spiritual recordings by African American artists. Songs in the African American . . . — — Map (db m97080) HM
Middle house constructed ca. 1830 by John Lane, a member of Vicksburg's founding family.
Flanking Italianate townhouses constructed ca. 1872: 901 by a niece of Jeff. Davis; 913 by Judge Upton Young. — — Map (db m109280) HM
Both former residents of Vicksburg, B. Beatrix Scott and Ida L. Jackson served as the fifth and eighth national presidents of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, 1925-1927 and 1933-1936, respectively. During her presidency, Scott helped establish . . . — — Map (db m97074) HM
Built in three stages from ca. 1830 to 1855, this Greek Revival–style mansion was originally built by J.W. Mauldin and sold to Victor Wilson in 1840. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, Anchuca was Vicksburgs first . . . — — Map (db m103752) HM
Meaning "men of kindness," the Anshe Chesed Congregation was organized in 1841 and formally chartered by the State of Mississippi in 1862. It was a founding member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in 1874. Anshe Chesed is the second . . . — — Map (db m50909) HM
Built mid-1830s. Home of diarist Emma Balfour, noted diarist of the Siege. Site of 1862 Christmas ball interrupted by arrival of Federal fleet. Following surrender, July 4, 1863, was HQ. of Maj.-Gen. J.B. McPherson. — — Map (db m97085) HM
Site of first African Methodist Episcopal Church (1864), and first Negro Masonic Lodge in Mississippi organized here (1875). Campbell College was organized here in 1890. Present church was built in 1912. — — Map (db m103754) HM
Known for strict discipline and demand for diligent work, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart took charge of the education of Vicksburg Catholic young men when they arrived at St. Aloysius Academy on the corner of First North and Grove streets in . . . — — Map (db m104129) HM
The C.S.S. Arkansas, an ironclad built in Yazoo City, met the Union vessels Queen of the West, Tyler and Carondelet on July 15, 1862, on the Yazoo River. Moving into the Mississippi, the Arkansas ran past thirty-nine . . . — — Map (db m103751) HM
In 1906 the Vicksburg Business League purchased nearly sixty acres of land and grading, one quarter mile east of this site, to attract a proposed National Guard rifle range. The range, which opened in 1907, included a store house, a concrete target . . . — — Map (db m103779) HM
Carr School was designed in the Tudor Gothic style by William Stanton, a well-known architect, who had designed many religious, public, commercial and residential buildings across Mississippi.
The school was built in 1924 by the E.G. Parish . . . — — Map (db m104136) HM
Dedicated To The Recipients Of The
Nation's Oldest Military Decoration
"The Purple Heart"
My stone is red for
the blood they shed.
The medal I bear
is my country's way
to show they care.
If I could be seen
by all . . . — — Map (db m109895) WM
In Memory of the men, from all states of the South, who fell in the defense of Vicksburg during a siege of 47 days - May 18 to July 3, 1863. A defense unsurpassed in the annals of war for heroism, endurance of devotion, and . . . — — Map (db m104277) WM
Prior to the construction of a bridge in 1930 across the Mississippi River at Vicksburg, train cars crossed to Louisiana on "ferries for trains" called transfer boats. The inclines at Kleinstown in Vicksburg and Delta Point in Louisiana were . . . — — Map (db m103989) HM
From his headquarters in this grand mansion, Confederate General Pemberton followed the movement of enemy troops during the siege. He watched his men suffering from lack of food and the relentless Union bombardment.
After nearly seven weeks, . . . — — Map (db m81903) HM
The Vicksburg National Military Park, established by Congress on February 21, 1899, commemorates the campaign, siege, and defense of Vicksburg during the Civil War. The 1,800 acres of the park are dotted with over 1,300 monuments, making it the "art . . . — — Map (db m103991) HM
The Spanish were the first Europeans (in 1541) to discover what is today called Fort Hill, the second highest spot between Memphis and New Orleans. When the French arrived in 1682, they laid claim to the region. The Treaty of Paris in 1763 divided . . . — — Map (db m104038) HM
On January 13, 1861, the steamer A.O. Tyler, en route downriver to New Orleans, was fired on by militia sent to protect Vicksburg. The Tyler, which was later used as a U.S. timberclad gunboat, was searched and released. The firing on . . . — — Map (db m103747) HM
Fort Nogales, which was the first settlement at Vicksburg, was established by the Spaniards on this spot in 1791. In 1798, it passed from the possession of Spain to the United States and was re-named Fort McHenry. It was used as a Confederate fort . . . — — Map (db m103759) HM
Navy veteran and Alcorn College graduate Frank Crump, Jr. taught at Rosa A. Temple High School (1960-1970) and was Vo-Tech Dean at Utica Junior College. During Freedom Summer in 1964, he registered African American voters and was a Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m103768) HM
The Glass site originally consisted of four pyramidal mound surrounding an open plaza, with a possible fifth mound located to the north. Of these, Mound A alone remains undamaged. It stands 30 feet high and has a ramp extending south toward the . . . — — Map (db m103780) HM
On a summer day in 1894, Joseph Biedenharn, a candy merchant and soda fountain operator, had an idea that would reshape the soft drink industry. He took the popular fountain beverage, Coca-Cola, put it in bottles, and delivered it to rural areas . . . — — Map (db m103993) HM
In May 1908, Leo C. Koestler opened Koestler's Bakery on Washington at Belmont Street. The first ovens were coal fired and "Mello-Toast Bread" was delivered to households by a horse-drawn dray.
In about 1918, Leo became the first in the state to . . . — — Map (db m104079) HM
In 1942. R.G. LeTourneau, the man largely responsible for the invention and development of earth-moving machines in wide use today, built his fourth manufacturing plant in Vicksburg. He brought with him a small group of talented men including Clyde . . . — — Map (db m104077) HM
Site of Lum Mansion, Hq. of Gen. U.S. Grant, family & staff, after siege of Vicksburg, 1863. The 26 room house, built about 1820, was later destroyed by order of Capt. Cyrus B. Comstock to build fortification. — — Map (db m97076) HM
The historic African American community of Marcus Bottom was an important center of early blues, jazz, and gospel music activity. Pianist Eurreal “Little Brother” Montgomery, one of the premier blues artists of the . . . — — Map (db m103895) HM
This Greek Revival house was built in 1830 by Martha Vick, daughter of Vicksburg founder Newit Vick. Newit and his wife Elizabeth died of yellow fever in 1819, leaving Martha to help raise her eight siblings. Martha Vick died in 1851, after which . . . — — Map (db m109281) HM
The Miss Mississippi Scholarship Pageant was started in 1934 with the annual event held in different cities until 1958. In that year, Vicksburg hosted its first pageant under the leadership of Mayor Johnny Holland and the Vicksburg Jaycees, and it . . . — — Map (db m104078) HM
On April 21, 1875, the Mississippi Dental Association was organized in Vicksburg at the office of Dr. J.B. Askew and Dr. J.D. Miles on Washington Street. Dr. J.D. Miles became its first president. — — Map (db m75627) HM
Built ca. 1835. Military headquarters of Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton, who commanded the Confederate forces during the siege of Vicksburg. Here on July 3, 1863, the decision was made to surrender the city. — — Map (db m81879) HM
Built 1834. Housed Vicksburg branch, Planters Bank of Mississippi until 1842. Occupied by officers of 28th Louisiana Reg. during Vicksburg siege.
Acquired by Vicksburg Council of Garden Clubs, Inc., 1956. — — Map (db m98350) HM
The Vicksburg-Warren County area has a long prehistoric heritage. There is evidence of prehistoric Native Americans in this area as early as 2000 B. C. These early cultures were from the Poverty Point Period and were followed by the Baytown Period . . . — — Map (db m104039) HM
When William McKinley, the 25th president of the United States (1897-1901), visited Vicksburg on May 1, 1901, cotton was “king” in Vicksburg and Warren County, as is evidenced by this arch of cotton bales (each weighing about 450 pounds) . . . — — Map (db m104143) HM
This monument marks the site where Prince Hall
Masonry in Mississippi was founded by
Thomas W. Stringer in 1867
Erected September 22, 1985 by
M.W. Stringer Grand Lodge, F.& A.M.
Prince Hall Affiliation
Edgar Bridges, Sr. Grand . . . — — Map (db m104427) HM
In 1959, Rosa A. Temple High School, named in honor of a beloved long-time school teacher, was built for African Americans and the old school, J. G. H. Bowman High, formerly known as Magnolia Avenue (1924) was closed.
Mr. O. W. Sanders served as . . . — — Map (db m104081) HM
The Sisters of Mercy have contributed to the health, education, and spiritual well-being of the residents of Vicksburg since the arrival of six nuns in 1860.
The Cobb House (c. 1830) became their first home and a school for 70 students. During . . . — — Map (db m103995) HM
Love and Compassion
In 1878 the Sisters of Mercy took over the local hospital during a yellow fever epidemic. The hospital was named "Mercy Hospital" and the Catholic nuns served for over 100 years.
Cedar Hill . . . — — Map (db m109519) HM
The first telephone exchange in Mississippi was installed in Vicksburg, January 10, 1881, at 102 ½ North Washington Street, by the Louisiana Telephone Company, a predecessor of South Central Bell. — — Map (db m51183) HM
On November 12, 1902, the Washington Post reported that President Theodore Roosevelt was headed to Smedes, Mississippi, 25 miles north of Vicksburg, for a 4-day bear hunt. The article said the president "did not anticipate the pleasure of killing a . . . — — Map (db m105436) HM
This site is the second Jewish cemetery in Vicksburg. The exact location of the first cemetery has not been determined. The first burial here was that of Meyer Meyer on May 16, 1865. Four rabbis who served this congregation have their final resting . . . — — Map (db m50910) HM
On February 2, 1863, the U.S.S. Queen of the West, a converted ram, attacked the C.S.S. Vicksburg, then lying at the city's landing. Almost completely destroyed in the action, the Vicksburg's engines were removed and sent to . . . — — Map (db m103748) HM
One of the most storied night spots in the South, the Blue Room, which stood across the street at 602 Clay Street, was operated for more than thirty years by flamboyant owner Tom Wince. Ray Charles, Fats Domino, B. B. King, Dinah . . . — — Map (db m103897) HM
The City of Vicksburg was founded in 1819 by Newit Vick, a Methodist minister. He died of yellow fever before the town could be laid out, however, leaving that task to his son-in-law, John Lane.
Incorporated in 1825 with a population of 180, the . . . — — Map (db m104040) HM
Torrential rains in the fall of 1926 and spring of 1927 set the stage for one of our Nation's worst natural disasters. Levees held back the water until breaks occurred at Mound Landing, MS and Pendleton, AR on April 21, 1927.
Bt the time the . . . — — Map (db m104138) HM
Between 1953 and 1974 the Vicksburg-based Red Tops entertained legions of dancers with their distinctive mix of blues, jazz, and pop. Under the strict direction of drummer and manager Walter Osborne, the group developed a devoted . . . — — Map (db m103896) HM
On a February day in 1861 as Jefferson and Varina Davis were pruning roses on the lawn at Brierfield, their home south of Vicksburg, a messenger arrived informing Davis that he had been elected president of the Confederate States of America.
Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m104037) HM
On December 12, 1862, on the Yazoo River, a Confederate torpedo tore open Cairo's bow. The Union gunboat sank in 12 minutes. Cairo became the first armored warship sunk by an electrically detonated mine.
The torpedo which sank Cairo . . . — — Map (db m89283) HM
The largest and most powerful sternwheel towboat ever launched (318 feet long, 61 feet wide), the steamer Sprague, was constructed in 1901 by the Dubuque Boat and Boiler Works in Iowa for the Monongehela River Consolidated Coal and Coke . . . — — Map (db m104134) HM
On April 24, 1865, the Sultana left Vicksburg with over 2,300 Union soldiers aboard, many of whom were former prisoners of war. Some 200 civilians were also on board, despite a legal limit of 376 people. Due to a faulty boiler, the . . . — — Map (db m103749) HM
The Sultana, a side-wheel steamboat built in Cincinnati in 1863, was 260' long and was designed to carry only 376 people along with its cargo.
On April 24, 1865, the Sultana docked in Vicksburg to pick up Union soldiers recently released from . . . — — Map (db m103996) HM
Vicksburg's first Garden Club was founded by Hester Craig Flowers in 1931 to "further the interest in home flower gardens and general beautification of the city."
By 1943, membership had grown to a point that the members were divided into twelve . . . — — Map (db m104125) HM
Homesite of "Father of Methodism" in Mississippi. Sent, 1799 to Mississippi Territory as missionary, he founded many of its early churches. He is buried on Crawford Street Church lawn. — — Map (db m89738) HM
The Cairo is the sole survivor of the fleet of river gunboats built by the Union during the Civil War with the object of controlling the lower Mississippi River. Designed by Samuel Pook and built by James B. Eads, the 175-foot ironclad . . . — — Map (db m35953) HM
Beginning on May 16, 1863, Gen. U.S. Grant held city under siege, cutting off all supplies & driving citizens to caves to escape shells. C.S.A. Gen. John C. Pemberton finally surrendered July 4. — — Map (db m39572) HM
The river determined the location of Vicksburg to be on the hills above the Mississippi, safe from floods. The river was the highway of Mid-America, the lifeblood of the town and a haven for flatboats, barges, snag boats, dredges, steamboats and . . . — — Map (db m103987) HM
Vicksburg's first floodwall, built to keep annual spring flood waters from disrupting commercial activity along Levee Street, was completed in 1924. It was financed on a shared basis agreement between the City of Vicksburg, the Yazoo and Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m104062) HM
Lest We Forget
Here are recorded the names of
Mississippians from Warren County who
gave their lives in order that we,
trusting in God, shall not fear the
power of adversaries.
Grant unto them, O . . . — — Map (db m109891) WM
Washington Street became the commercial center of Vicksburg in 1839 when a fire destroyed the downtown area on Main Street. This scene, c.1912 shows the 1400 block looking north toward the Yazoo Canal. In the early 20th century, Vicksburg was the . . . — — Map (db m103988) HM
Willie Dixon, often called “the poet laureate of the blues,” was born in Vicksburg on July 1, 1915. As a songwriter, producer, arranger, and bass player, Dixon shaped the sound of Chicago blues in the 1950s and '60s with . . . — — Map (db m69778) HM
Imagine the open fields in front of you covered with tents and crowded with white-bearded men. In October 1917, as the United States entered World War I, this rolling landscape played host to thousands of Vicksburg veterans. Soldiers from both sides . . . — — Map (db m111661) HM
They were all volunteers-and unmarried—those 150 Union men
called the "Forlorn Hope." Powerful cannon had pounded the
Confederates for four straight hours. Laden with planks and hastily
built ladders, they struggled up the road in front of . . . — — Map (db m109458) HM
Capt. J.F. Waddell.
A detachment of the battery, under Lieut. R. H. Bellamy, served one 6-pounder gun in this position, Railroad Redoubt, from May 18 to a little before 10 o'clock the forenoon of May 22, 1863, when its ammunition . . . — — Map (db m109596) HM
Capt. William N. Hogg;
Lieut. Christopher C. Scott;
Lieut. Robert N. Cotten.
A detachment of the battery, under Lieut. Christopher C. Scott, served one 3-inch rifle in this position from May 18 to about May 30, . . . — — Map (db m110765) HM
Capt. William N. Hogg;
Lieut. Christopher C. Scott;
Lieut. Robert N. Cotten.
A detachment of the battery, under Lieut. Christopher C. Scott served one 3-inch rifle in this position, Third Louisiana Redan, from May . . . — — Map (db m109651) HM
The first section of the company, under Lieuts. T.H. Cunningham and B.T. Mathews, served two 12-pounder howitzers in this position from about June 15 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — — Map (db m109451) HM
Capt. S. J. Ridley;
Lieut. Charles E. Hooker;
Lieut. P. B. Lancaster.
One section of the company, under Lieut. P. B. Lancaster, served two 12-pounder howitzers in this position, near Fort Hill, from the morning of May 19. . . . — — Map (db m110839) HM
Capt. J.H Yates
The second section of the company, under Lieut. W. J. Shelton, served two 6-pounder guns and one 24-pounder siege gun in this position, Fort Hill, from the morning of May 19 to about June 12, when the siege gun was . . . — — Map (db m110841) HM
Lieut. F.W. Merrin
The company, under Capt. Jacob Culbertson, was engaged in the battle of Champion Hill, May 16,attached to Loring's division. At the close of that battle one section, under Capt. Culbertson, moved to Crystal Springs . . . — — Map (db m110745) HM
Capt. Newit J. Drew;
Lieut. W.J. Duncan.
The company, under Lieut. W.J. Duncan, served pieces, number, kind and caliber unknown, on the line of Lee's brigade in undetermined positions from May 18 to the end of the defense, July . . . — — Map (db m109592) HM
Lieut. J.R. Sweaney;
Lieut. M.H. Trantham.
The battery was engaged in the battle of Port Gibson, May 1, casualties, wounded 20. One section, under Lieut. E. S. Walton, served two 12-pounder howitzers in this position, railroad . . . — — Map (db m109595) HM
Marks' Company, 22D Louisiana;
River Batteries; Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. Washington Marks.
A detachment of the company, under Lieut.
Samuel Barnes, served one 10-inch Columbiad in
this position from . . . — — Map (db m105448) HM
15th Corps 3rd Division
Brig. Gen. Joseph A. Mower
Major Eli Bowyer
Colonel Andrew J. Weber
Lieut. Col. William L. Barnum
Killed 7, wounded 92, missing 3,
total 102: Col. Andrew J. . . . — — Map (db m110102) HM
Lieut. Jacob C. Hansel;
Lieut. Frank B. Fenton;
Capt. Peter Davidson.
The battery served two James rifles, one 10- pounder Parrott rifle and one 6-pounder gun in this position from the morning of May 22 to about June . . . — — Map (db m109624) HM
Capt. Samuel E. Barrett;
Lieut. Israel P. Rumsey.
The battery, May 19, served four 6-pounder guns and two 12-pounder howitzers on this ridge and to the left of this tablet, which marks the position of the . . . — — Map (db m109740) HM
Capt. Samuel E. Barrett;
Lieut. Israel P. Rumsey.
The battery served four 6-pounder guns and two 12-pounder howitzers in this position from the morning of May 22 to the evening of May 26, when it went with the force under . . . — — Map (db m110734) HM
Lieut. John A. Fitch;
Capt. Allen C. Waterhouse.
A detachment of the battery served one 30-pounder Parrott rifle in this position, Battery Jenny, from about June 5 to June 22, 1863, when the battery moved with the 1st and 3D . . . — — Map (db m109737) HM
Capt. Levi W. Hart.
The battery served four 20-pounder Parrott rifles from about May 27 and one 30-pounder Parrott rifle from about May 30, to about June 10, in this position, when the right section, under Lieut. Francis DeGress, . . . — — Map (db m110733) HM
Companies D and K were assigned to duty on gunboats by order of Major General U.S. Grant, dated February 18, 1863; Company D, under Captain Eberlee P. H. Stone served during the campaign and siege of Vicksburg on gunboat "Tyler" . . . — — Map (db m109750) HM
Company A was detailed for service on gunboats, March 6, 1863, its operations after that date during the campaign and siege of Vicksburg are not of record; Company D served for a time at Gen. Grant's headquarters and, later, was . . . — — Map (db m109752) HM
This regiment was detailed for service on gunboats by order of Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, dated February 6, 1863; before that date it was attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Corps, Army of the Tennessee. Casualties: . . . — — Map (db m109753) HM
End of Logans approach to the Confederate Third Louisiana redan; carried to this point, June 22, and a gallery for a mine begun next day. The gallery carried 40 feet to the front and a mine at its head, charged . . . — — Map (db m109648) HM
Lieut. Cyrus Sears;
Lieut. Fletcher E. Armstrong;
Capt. Frank C. Sands.
The battery served two 6-pounder guns, two 12-pounder howitzers and two James rifles on the investment line from May 19 to May 26, when it . . . — — Map (db m109631) HM
Capt. Ambrose A. Blount:
Capt. Charles S. Rice.
The 2d section, under Lieut. William Hunt, served
two 10 pounder Parrott rifles in this position, "Burnt
Chimneys," from the morning of May 21 to about May
25, 1863, . . . — — Map (db m104188) HM WM
Capt. Martin Klauss.
Two sections served four James rifles in this
position, "Burnt Chimneys," from about May 22 to
the end of the siege, July 4, 1863. Aggregate
reported casualties in battery during the campaign
and siege: . . . — — Map (db m104192) HM WM
Capt. Martin Klauss.
One section served two 6-pounder guns in this position from about June 20 to the end of the siege, July 4, 1863. Their fire was especially directed against a bridge across the railroad cut in rear of the . . . — — Map (db m109569) HM
Wisconsin Light Artillery;
9th Div.; 13th Corps; Army of the Tennessee.
Lieut. Charles B. Kimball;
Lieut. Oscar F. Nutting.
The right section of the battery served two . . . — — Map (db m103764) HM
Capt. William S. Williams.
The battery served two 6-pounder guns and four James rifles in this position from about May 25 to June 6, when one of the 6-pounder guns was moved to an advanced battery on right of Jackson Road. The other . . . — — Map (db m109784) HM
Capt. Samuel DeGolyer
Lieut. Theodore Lockwood
The battery served two 12-pounder howitzers and four James rifles in this position from about May 25, to the end of the siege July 4, 1863, except that one 12 pounder . . . — — Map (db m109780) HM
Capt. Henry Dillon;
Lieut. Samuel F. Clark.
The battery served its pieces in temporary positions near the Jackson Road from May 19 to about May 31. One section served two 12-pounder howitzers in this position from about May 31 to . . . — — Map (db m109637) HM
Capt. George W. Schofield.
The battery served four pieces, kind and caliber unknown, in this position from about May 26. It also served the four 24-pounder siege guns on the line of Hovey's division, in a . . . — — Map (db m109622) HM
Capt. Samuel E. Barrett;
Lieut. Israel P. Rumsey.
The left section of the battery served its pieces in this position from the morning of May 20, 1863, to the evening of the next day. — — Map (db m109731) HM
Capt. Charles Mann.
The battery served two 6-pounder guns and two 12-pounder howitzers on this ridge from about May 24 to the evening of May 26, when one section, under Lieut. Clemens Goedde, went with the . . . — — Map (db m109858) HM
Capt. Clemens Landgraeber.
The battery served two 12-pounder howitzers and four James rifles in a battery, not in the park and about 15 yards West of this tablet, from May 19 to the end of the siege, July 4, 1863. Aggregate reported . . . — — Map (db m109803) HM
Capt. Frederick Sparrestrom;
Lieut. John W. Lowell.
By a collision between the transports "Horizon" and "Moderator", about 3 a.m., May 1, while the battery was crossing the river to Bruinsburg, Mississippi, . . . — — Map (db m109632) HM
Capt. William H. Bolton.
The battery served four James rifles in this position from about May 25 to the end of the siege July 4, 1863, except that after about June 15, one rifle, in charge of a daily detail . . . — — Map (db m109643) HM
Beginning of Carr's right approach to the Confederate railroad redoubt was in cut immediately at left of this marker. Work on it commenced about June 2, 1863; carried along the railroad from here to the next marker. — — Map (db m109570) HM
Beginning of Ewing's Approach to the Confederate Stockade Redan. Work on it begun, May 23, 1863, by details from his brigade and from 1st and 3D brigades, 3D Division, 15th Corps. — — Map (db m109733) HM
Capt. T.D. Yost.
The battery was Company F. 32D Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, prior to the Battle of Champion Hill, May 16. Two 12-pounder guns and four 3-inch rifles captured in that battle were turned over to it. Two sections . . . — — Map (db m110768) HM
Had you stepped aboard the USS Cairo
during the Civil War, the conversations may
have surprised you. So many languages! Stroll
the decks and you might have heard French,
Danish, Russian, German, and accents from
Ireland, England, and the . . . — — Map (db m109464) HM
In mid-19th century America, rivers were highways. And
the Mississippi was the greatest of them all—the nation's
main artery for commerce leading all the way to the Gulf
of Mexico. By early 1863, two Confederate strongholds
still blocked . . . — — Map (db m109452) HM
Look down to your left to see one of Cairo's restored firebox doors. Coal shoveled into the fireboxes heated the boilers. Steam from the boilers powered Cairo's engines and drove the paddle wheel. A gunboat without steam could not move . . . — — Map (db m110400) HM
A mine, at the head of Logans approach to the third Louisiana redan, was begun on June 23, finished the forenoon of June 25 and charged with 2200 pounds of powder. Leggett's (1st) brigade of Logans (3D) division, 17th Corps, . . . — — Map (db m109722) HM
Captain Fifth Ohio Battery
Chief Engineer 17th Army Corps
March 29—July 4, 1863
Logan's Approach and the mines
at its head under the Confederate
Third Louisiana Redan were under
his personal direction
Given by . . . — — Map (db m110730) HM
The types of cannon you see here all saw action during the Vicksburg fighting. For centuries, artillery had ruled the battlefield. By the time of the Civil War, advances like rifled barrels, improved aiming and ignition had made cannon more . . . — — Map (db m104199) HM
The Union Army under command of Maj Gen. U. S. Grant was composed of three divisions of the 13th, the 15th, and the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of Stevensons, Forneys, . . . — — Map (db m110827) HM
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th, 15th, and 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of Stevensons, Forneys, Smith's and Bowens Divisions, and . . . — — Map (db m110830) HM
During the 19th century, rivers meant trade and transit—none more than the Mississippi. This mighty artery of commerce was the nation's single greatest economic feature. In late 1862, Vicksburg remained the primary Confederate stronghold along . . . — — Map (db m104226) HM
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th Corps, Blairs division of the 15th Corps, and Logans and Crockers Divisions of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, . . . — — Map (db m110826) HM
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant was composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, was composed of Tracys, Cockrell's, . . . — — Map (db m110216) HM
Direct assaults on the Confederate fortifications on May 19 and 22 ended in heavy Union losses. With Vicksburg's defenses holding strong. Grant changed tactics and ordered a formal siege. Here, at Third Louisiana Redan, . . . — — Map (db m109354) HM
This brigade moved from its first position, on the left of Stevenson's brigade of Logan's division, about 3 p.m., reported to Gen. Carr about 4 p.m. and was ordered to assault the Confederate curtain between the lunette on the . . . — — Map (db m109552) HM
At daybreak on May 22, 1863, hundreds of Federal cannon
opened fire. The second Union attempt to take Vicksburg
began. Three miles of Confederate fortifications were
bombarded for four hours. Then the Union guns fell silent.
Troops charged . . . — — Map (db m109327) HM
The afternoon of May 19, this brigade was in support of Blair's Division–the 72nd Ohio in front on the right of the road and the 95th Ohio in its rear, the 114th Illinois on the left of the road and the 93D Indiana on its left. About dusk that . . . — — Map (db m109735) HM
June 25 – July 4
Killed 11, wounded 74 total 85
Col. Eugene Erwin, Lieuts. W.S.
Lipscomb, John T. Crenshaw and
John Roseberry killed
June 25 – July 4 . . . — — Map (db m110718) HM
The river batteries, under command of Colonel Edward Higgins, C.S. Artillery, were served by six companies of Tennessee Heavy Artillery on the right, four companies of the 8th Louisiana Heavy Artillery Battalion in the center and eight companies . . . — — Map (db m89100) HM
This powerful winch helped the crew haul heavy lines, move guns on the gun deck, and pull in the anchor. Steam from the boilers powered the capstan. In an emergency, this essential tool was turned by hand with wooden spokes inserted into the hub at . . . — — Map (db m110402) HM
In the assault, May 22, 1863, one gun
of the battery was dragged by hand,
with the assistance of enlisted men
of Benton's and Burbridge's brigades
to a position within a few yards
of the Confederate lunette on the
Baldwin's Ferry . . . — — Map (db m104183) HM WM
The tall wooden stacks you see towering above the boat are skeletal reproductions of the original chimneys. When Cairo sank, its smoke stacks were visible above the surface of the water. A sister boat, the Pittsburg, knocked down the . . . — — Map (db m110368) HM
On May 19, 1863, the 55th Ilinois Infantry was
pinned down by enemy fire and running out of
ammunition. Orion P. Howe, a 14-year-old musician,
volunteered to run back and get more. On the way,
he was wounded. He found General Sherman near
this . . . — — Map (db m109454) HM
Brig General C S Army
Commanding 2nd Brigade
March 29 — May 1 1863
Major 12th Ala. Inf. July 17 1861
Lt. Col. 19th Ala. Inf. Aug. 12 1861
Brig. Gen. C.S. Army Aug. 16 1862
Killed in Battle May . . . — — Map (db m110511) HM
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant, was composed of Steele's and Tuttle's Divisions, 15th Corps, Maj. Gen. Wm. T. Sherman commanding; and Logan's and Crockers Divisions, 17th Corps, Maj. Gen. James B. . . . — — Map (db m110224) HM
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson, was composed of the Third and Seventh Divisions, 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John Gregg, was composed of Gregg's brigade and a . . . — — Map (db m110218) HM
Cadet U. S. Military Academy 1846 Bvt. 2nd Lt. Mtd. Rifles July 1 1850 Second Lieutenant June 30 1851 First Lieut. 1st Cav. March 3 1855 Captain June 11 1858 Trans. To 4th Cav. Aug, 3 1861 Colonel 3rd . . . — — Map (db m109958) HM
In order to guard Vicksburg from Union attack, the Confederates built a ring of forts around the city's north, east, and south sides. You are standing at the northernmost point of those defenses. From here, the tour road travels east then south . . . — — Map (db m110173) HM
Gaining control of Vicksburg and the Mississippi River
cost so many lives-more than 10,000 Union dead. In the
aftermath of battle, the dead were often buried hastily in
makeshift graves. At hundreds of Civil War battle sites the
remains of . . . — — Map (db m109429) HM
Steam-driven propulsion systems like the one you see
here powered riverboats churning up and down western
rivers in the mid-1800s. Cairo's engines and boilers are
among the oldest and best surviving examples of this
type of machinery. . . . — — Map (db m109468) HM
Vital supplies of food, clothing, medicine, European-made rifles and soldiers arrived here from the south and west. They were then shipped by rail to the troops fighting in the east. By early 1863, Vicksburg and Port Hudson, Louisiana, were the last . . . — — Map (db m105445) HM
When Union forces arrived at Vicksburg, Union General Ulysses S. Grant chose a wood frame house near here as his headquarters. But the house ended up serving a very different purpose. During the night of May 21, 1863, . . . — — Map (db m109347) HM
Ironclad gunboats had long, flat-bottomed hulls to navigate shallow rivers. Loaded with heavy boilers, engines and guns, the hull tended to droop at the ends from uneven weight. This caused the center of the boat to hump up like a hog's . . . — — Map (db m110398) HM
Port Gibson, May 1, 1863,
killed 1, wounded 16, total 17;
Champion's Hill, May 16, killed 2,
wounded 3, total 5,
Capt. Alexander W. Geddes and Lieut.
Thomas B. White killed; Assault, May 19,
wounded 8; . . . — — Map (db m110534) HM
Co. D. Capt. Eberlee P.H. Stone,
Served on Gunboat "Tyler" and on
Co. K. Capt. Elijah P. Curtis.
Served with detachments of other
companies on Gunboat "Petrel."
Co. D. Bombardment Grand . . . — — Map (db m109792) HM
Port Gibson, May 1, 1863, wounded 13.
Champion's Hill, May 16, killed 1,
wounded 2; total 3.
Big Black River Bridge, May 17, wounded 13,
In skirmishers, May 18, 20 and 21,
Capt. Henry M. Kellogg killed, . . . — — Map (db m109961) HM
Col. George W.K. Bailey;
Capt. Asa C. Matthews;
Lieut. Col. Lemuel Parke.
1st Brig., 14th Div., 13th Corps.
Port Gibson, May 1, 1863, killed 4,
wounded 19, total 23; Big Black River
Bridge, May . . . — — Map (db m109962) HM
1st Brig. 10th Div.
Colonel Richard Owen,
Guard at Perkins' Landing,
Louisiana, from April 28 to about
May 28. Engaged: Siege, June 1-June 22.
Duty at Black River . . . — — Map (db m104273) HM WM
Assault May 22, 1863
Sergt. Joseph E. Griffith, Sergt. N. C.
Messenger and about 12 other enlisted men
of the regiment entered this redoubt at
its salient angle where a breach had been
made by the Union Artillery. . . . — — Map (db m109605) HM
2D Brig. 14th Div. 13th Corps
Killed 16 wounded 87 missing 10
Total 113 Lieut. Col. Cornelius W. Dunlap
killed Lieuts. Samuel Bates and
William A. Roberts mortally wounded — — Map (db m109924) HM WM
Lieut. Joseph R. Reed.
3D Div; 15th Corps.
In the engagement at Jackson,
May 14, 1863, wounded 1;
In the assault, May 22, wounded 3;
and during the siege,
killed 1, wounded 2, total 3. . . . — — Map (db m110049) HM
Col. George A. Stone
In the assault, May 22, 1863,
killed 5, wounded 27, missing 5, total 37;
and during the siege, not reported.
Aggregate reported casualties
in regiment during . . . — — Map (db m110202) HM
295 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 95