Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wayne County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Buckatunna Marker image, Touch for more information
By Robert M. Cook, Jr., July 17, 2012
Buckatunna Marker
Mississippi (Wayne County), Buckatunna — Buckatunna
One of the oldest Piney Woods settlements. Many of Scotch-Irish pioneers held Georgia grants. Nearby RR bridge over Buckatunna Creek was scene of famous holdup in eighties by Burrows gang. — Map (db m59305) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Buckatunna — Major General Ira Platt Swift
Born at Chicora, Mississippi, in February 1898, Ira Platt Swift graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1919. Decorated many times for distinguished service, Swift commanded combat units in Europe in World War II and in the Korean War. His last . . . — Map (db m80377) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Clara — 23 — Jesse Rodgers
Front Jesse Otto Rodgers (1911-1973) born near Waynesboro, first cousin to Jimmie Rodgers, began singing on Mexican border radio stations after relocating to Texas. He wrote songs and recorded for Bluebird Records in the mid-1930s, . . . — Map (db m80349) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Clara — Wayne County Agricultural High School
Open here from 1911 to 1938 offering education, work, and practical experience to the rural youth of the county. Boasted classrooms, boys' and girls' dorms, dairy herd and barn, and cultivated fields. — Map (db m80376) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Clinch Gray
Clinch Gray, son of Thomas Gray, who was council to the Crown in 1765, Virginia State Legislator 1779-1794, Tennessee lawyer and legislator 1795-1829. Clinch Gray, accompanied by Fann Crease settled at this site in 1805. In 1811, he was . . . — Map (db m80365) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Dyess Bridge
To facilitate travel between Wayne Co., Miss. and points west, W.C.C. Dyess built here the first bridge over the Buckatunna River, 1868-70. It continued in use until 1912. Dyess homestead 200 ft. N.W. — Map (db m80368) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — First Auto Bank
In 1962, the First State Bank in Waynesboro became the first bank in Mississippi to open an auto bank offering drive-up window service. The idea originated with bank president and later chairman W.D. Mangum. Approved by the state bank comptroller . . . — Map (db m80369) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — First Baptist ChurchWaynesboro
First Baptist Church, originally named Salem Baptist Church, was organized in 1806 near Patton’s Creek, approximately 1½ miles southeast of town. The congregation moved to this site in 1895 and built a wood frame church. The name was officially . . . — Map (db m80373) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — First United Methodist Church
The First United Methodist Church of Waynesboro was established in 1858 by John C. Patton as a Methodist Protestant Church. Their first sanctuary, a two-story wood frame building shared with a local Masonic Lodge, was built the same year. The church . . . — Map (db m80371) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Gray Family Cemetery
This family was estab. in Wayne County by Clinch Gray, a native of North Carolina. He immigrated to this region in 1808, one yr. before the Co. was organ. within the Mississippi Terr. Gray signed Miss.'s first const. in 1817. He was buried here, . . . — Map (db m80359) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Lt. Jake W. Lindsey Highway
Lt. Lindsey was awarded the 100th Congressional Medal of Honor given in World War II. Presented by Pres. Truman, Lindsey was the only recipient to ever receive the award before a Joint Session of the Congress. — Map (db m80370) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Philadelphus Church
8 mi. NE, on Bucatunna Creek. Organized with 11 members, March 31, 1821, in John Keahey home. Moved to McCrae & Britton area about 1840. First Presbyterian Church in Wayne Co. — Map (db m80366) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Wayne County Civil War Monument1861-1865 — C.S.A.
Front Wayne County's loving tribute to the noble men who marched neath the flag of the Stars and Bars Left Side Furl that banner true' tis gory, yet' tis wreathed around with glory, and' twill live . . . — Map (db m80386) WM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Wayne County War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of all citizens of Wayne County Mississippi who gave their lives in the service of our country 1917 — 1975 "If ye break faith we shall have died in vain" World War I . . . — Map (db m80387) WM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Waynesboro — Winchester
About one mile to the west. Site of Patton’s Fort, 1813. Chartered 1818. Near old road from Natchez to Ga. Became a thriving trade center, serving as county seat until 1867. — Map (db m80378) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Winchester — General James Patton
Born 1780 in S.C. First signer of petition in 1808 to form Wayne Co. from Miss. Territory. Served in several Wayne County courts. State’s 2nd Lt. Governor 1820-1822. Died May 3, 1830, at Winchester. Brd. 6/10 mi. SW in S33~T8N~R6W. — Map (db m80380) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement