Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wilkinson County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Camp Van Dorn Marker image, Touch for more information
July 21, 2016
Camp Van Dorn Marker
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Centreville — Camp Van Dorn
Named for CSA General Earl Van Dorn, this U.S. Army Post served as a training camp from 1942-1945. The 99th ("Checkerboard") and the 63rd ("Blood and Fire") divisions trained here and fought in Europe, suffering over 10,000 casualties in such . . . — Map (db m96276) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Centreville — Midway Methodist Church
Nearby is the site of the original log cabin church established in 1811 by Matthew Bowman. Wm. Winans, circuit rider and leader in Miss. Methodism served as pastor, and in 1815, married Martha DuBose. — Map (db m96035) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Fort Adams — Smith Creek Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
The Smith Creek site consists of three mounds surrounding a large plaza. Mound A is the site's largest monument, at over 30 feet. Mound B is a burial mound surrounded by a ditch or moat. Mound C, to the east, is eroding into Smith Creek; its . . . — Map (db m96735) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Lessley — Lessley Mound — Mississippi Mound Trail
The Lessley site consists of one large, rectangular platform mound. Excavations in 2013 determined that the mound was built in two or more stages, beginning in the Late Coles Creek or Early Plaquemine Period, ca. AD 1100-1350. Based on excavated . . . — Map (db m96644) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Pinckneyville — Grave Of Oliver Pollock
Pollock, an Irish merchant in Spanish New Orleans, served in that city as Commercial Agent for the Continental Congress & helped finance the American Revolution with his fortune. He died at Pinckneyville, 1832. — Map (db m93634) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Avenue of Magnolias
This Avenue of Magnolias is dedicated to Jefferson Davis President of the Confederacy by The Woodville Civic Club, Inc. and The Davis Family Association Rosemont Plantation Planted March 1979 — Map (db m137267)
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Beth Israel Cemetery
Jewish community flourished in Woodville 1820-1920. Est. cemetery 1848. Synagogue built on Natchez St. 1878, rebuilt 1896, burned 1930’s. Jewish community enriched Town’s economic/artistic life. — Map (db m50908) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Beth Israel Synagague
In 1876, the Woodville Hebrew Education Association constructed a small frame synagogue on this site that later became the Beth Israel Congregation. Emanuel Rosenfelder served as the first rabbi. After a fire in 1896, the synagogue . . . — Map (db m130256) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Branch Banking House — c. 1819
Originally branch of the Bank of the State of Mississppi and believed to be the oldest bank building in the state. Today houses the African-American Museum. — Map (db m130488) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Carnot Posey Home
Built c. 1845, and home of Carnot Posey, 1st Lieut., Miss. Rifles, Mexican War, and Confed. Brig-General. Wounded at Bristoe Station, Va., and d. Nov. 13, 1863. Buried Univ. of Virginia. — Map (db m93457) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Fort Adams
Twenty mi. west, called Davion's Rock by French. Loftus Heights by British. U.S. Fort, 1798, named for John Adams. "Man Without a Country," Phillip Nolan was once stationed here. — Map (db m93850) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Lewis Family Cemetery — c. 1824
Col. John South Lewis gave land for the Methodist church to be built in 1824 and reserved this plot. Tall shaft marks his grave. — Map (db m130546) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Bank of Woodville — 1900
Served as Bank of Woodville for 10 years, then as Commercial Bank until 1963. Originally had two front corner entrances. — Map (db m130490) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Old Christian Church Parsonage — c. 1875
In 1918, Mrs. Frances Johns Woodruff willed this house and its contents for use as church parsonage. It remained in use until 2005. Private — Map (db m130520) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Rabbi's Home — c. 1880
Queen Anne residence for Beth Israel Synagogue which stood on corner until 1920's. Noted for Menorah-like brackets on columns. Private — Map (db m130493) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Rosemont
Jefferson Davis' boyhood home. Built 1810, by father, Samuel Davis. First schooling in log cabin here. Jane Cook Davis, his mother, died here in 1845 and is buried here with others of family. — Map (db m96500) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — St. Paul's Church
Founded in 1823 by Jas. A. Fox. Oldest Episcopal structure (1824) in state & reputedly W. of Alleghenies. Organ installed 1827. Here in 1829 first Episcopal priest ordained in state, John P. Porter. Mother of Jefferson Davis a member. — Map (db m93479) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — The Little House — 1930's
One of three residences built side-by-side by Mrs. Eva McGraw and later owned by her daughter, Mrs. Thelma Allred Sessions. Private — Map (db m130545) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — The Woodville Republican
The Republican, established in 1823 by William A.A. Chisolm, is the oldest newspaper and business institution in continuous operation in Mississippi. Operated by Lewis family for over 100 years. — Map (db m94552) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Van Eaton House — c. 1820
Greek-Revival home begun in 1820, with later additions in 1840 and 1890. Judge Henry Van Eaten lived here 1866-1894. Private — Map (db m130548) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — West Feliciana Railroad
The West Feliciana Railroad line was built in this area between 1828 and 1842 to haul cotton from Woodville to the Bayou Sara Landing on the Mississippi River. The West Feliciana Railroad was the first line chartered in Mississippi, in 1831, and the . . . — Map (db m93718) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Wilkinson County Courthouse — 1903
Beaux Arts structure designed by Texas architect James Riely Gordon. Replaced 1829 two-story Federal building and an earlier structure. — Map (db m130439) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Wilkinson County War Memorial
Erected by the citizens of Wilkinson County in honor of all those who served in World War I - II and dedicated to those who gave their lives that freedom might live This monument also honors those of the following wars . . . — Map (db m93333) WM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — William Grant Still
The dean of African-American composers and one of the greatest classical musicians in American history, Still was born near Woodville on May 11, 1895. In 1930, Still composed Afro-American Symphony, a blues-influenced work. Troubled Island was his . . . — Map (db m93502) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Woodville
Chartered in 1811. Was Jefferson Davis' boyhood home. Gen. Poindexter lived here. West Feleciana R.R., begun by Edward McGehee in 1831. was first in state and second in Miss. Valley. — Map (db m93496) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — 94 — Woodville Blues
Musicians from Woodville demonstrate the breadth of the blues’s influence on American music. Composer William Grant Still incorporated the blues into his “Afro-American Symphony,” while the innovative saxophonist Lester . . . — Map (db m50907) HM
Mississippi (Wilkinson County), Woodville — Woodville Presbyterian Church — 1893
Replaced original 1840 brick church that collapsed in 1891 after a severe storm. Congregation built present building on same site. — Map (db m130489) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement