Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cass County Missouri Historical Markers

 
Smoot Peace Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 6, 2011
Smoot Peace Park Marker
Missouri (Cass County), Belton — Smoot Peace Park and Veterans Memorial
Peace Park Love + Labor + Leisure + Light + Law= "Peace" A memorial to Mr. & Mrs. G. W. Smoot given to City of Belton by daughter Cynthia Smoot Jones 1956 Dedicated to those who served Dedicated Veteran's Day Nov. 11, . . . — Map (db m50860) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Burnt District Monument — The Heart of the Burnt District — Missouri's Civil War
Missouri's Civil War The Civil War on the Missouri-Kansas border was an extension of the raiding and looting that took place during the Bleeding Kansas era of 1854 to 1860. Early in the war, Kansas Jayhawkers and Redlegs dressed in blue . . . — Map (db m20318) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Cass County
(Front): Midway on Missouri's western border, Cass County was organized in 1835 and named Van Buren. The Free-Soil Party affiliation of Martin Van Buren led to name change, in 1849 for Democrat Lewis Cass. In territory ceded by Osage tribes . . . — Map (db m20267) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — General Order No. 11 — Aug. 25, 1863 — Brig. Gen. Thomas Ewing
(No inscription except for the title and portraits of significant personalities. This historical marker tells its story pictorially.) [Portraits of] Lewis Cass • L.O. Kunze Henry & Bursheba Younger [William] Quantrill • Cole . . . — Map (db m50871) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Harrisonville WWI Memorial
In Memory of our World War Veterans — Map (db m20702) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Jennison’s Jayhawks raid Harrisonville Square — July 1861
(No inscription except for the title. This historical marker tells its story pictorially.)Map (db m50870) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Lest We Forget
left tablet Stylized Eagle facing right perched on 3 arrows Lest we forget Korea map of Korea right tablet Stylized Eagle facing left perched on 3 arrows Lest we forget Vietnam map of Vietnam . . . — Map (db m21314) WM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — The Burnt District Monument
(Left Side Plaque) The Burnt District / Jennison's Tombstones When the Civil War began, Cass County was home to over 1,700 families. The population of 8,900 free whites and 1,000 slaves reflected widely diverse origins. Many had . . . — Map (db m22089) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — United We Stand Divided We Fall
The Cass Co. Judges who suffered imprisionment by the U.S. Federal Courts rather than make a tax levy to pay fradulent Co. and Township Railroad Bonds. FE Johnston WP Barnes Sept 1 1883 to Jan 1 1884 WA Wray FM George ET . . . — Map (db m20268) HM
Missouri (Cass County), Harrisonville — Wayside Rest — The Robert Allison Brown House — Circa 1850

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

Not open to the public — Map (db m99463) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 100 Veterans Parkway — Historic Building circa 1880

Operated as a grocery store/meat market until 1981 when a delicatessen was added. Building was destroyed by fire in 1891 and rebuilt at that time. From 1984 until 2006 various tenants operated out of the building. In 2006 the building was . . . — Map (db m88326) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 105 First Street — Historic Building 1881

In 1858 John Armstrong purchased this and surrounding land from the U.S. knowing the Pacific Railroad would site its station here. Armstrong sold some land to the railroad for $1.00. By 1865, when the railroad began construction, business men . . . — Map (db m88421) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 110 South Lake Street — Historic Building circa 1909

This building has housed a theatre since 1909. In 1915 free Sat. matinees were sponsored by the merchants for country people. Nov. 7, 1916 it was packed with people waiting to hear the national election results coming in over a telephone line . . . — Map (db m88328) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 111 First Street — Historic Building 1870

This building was the post office from 1874-90. Other tenants included an insurance agency, a variety store, a shoe shop. and the Commercial Bank (1912). Since 1955 it has been a radio and TV shop, photo shop, telephone office, watch repair shop, . . . — Map (db m88423) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 113 Wyoming Street — Historic Building 1891

Until 1977 this building was always a drug store. Some space was rented to the Mo. Kan. Telephone System (Bell) for their central office. A veterinarian also leased space. A church leased the building from 1977 to 1986 at which time Randy and . . . — Map (db m88417) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 117 First Street — Historic Building circa 1895

From 1895 to 1913 Rolly Brothers restaurant was here. They had a waiting room for ladies in front and a dining room being cut off by a row of palms. In 1904 the rear half was added facing the Mo. Pacific Depot enabling the restaurant to cater . . . — Map (db m88569) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 118 First Street — Historic Building circa 1903

First housed a funeral parlor until 1906. For the next 52 years O.L. Beasley and his heirs the Woodmancys operated a clothing store. From 1962-77, it was a sporting goods and liquor store. Later a pawn shop. After extensive remodeling it became . . . — Map (db m88425) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 119 First Street — Historic Building circa 1907

The first building was destroyed by fire in 1893. In 1907 the present building was erected for a pool hall. It was constructed to hold a second story that was never built on. The pool hall is believed to be the oldest in the state of Missouri . . . — Map (db m88567) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 120 First Street — Historic Building

No record available of when 120 First St. was built. From 1902 to 1907 it was a post office. From 1907 to 1930 a grocery store. On July 26, 1909 Carrie Nation gave a lecture in front about the evils of alcohol. It has been an electrical shop, . . . — Map (db m88428) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 121 First Street — Historic Building 1894

In June 1894, the new building was the home of a drug store. The upstairs was occupied by a savings & loan co and a real estate co. In 1904 the upstairs became the offices of a doctor and a lawyer. In 1929 a bakery was opened downstairs, then a . . . — Map (db m88485) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 124 First Street — Historic Building 1893

This building was the home of the Citizens State Bank from 1893-1943. The assets were purchased and incorporated into the Pleasant Hill Bank. From 1943-58 it was a shoe and dress shop. In 1958 it became a liquor store for several years. Later . . . — Map (db m88429) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 126 First Street — Historic Building 1900

From 1900 until 1915 this building was the home of various jewelry businesses, then the Bargain Spot and in 1917 a shoe shop. From 1919-1921 it was a millinery store. Early 1921 it was a feed store. Later that year Pleasant Hill Times Publisher . . . — Map (db m88460) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 129 Wyoming Street — Historic Building 1920

The first frame building was built in 1868 as a home for boots and shoes. It was a shoe repair shop until 1916. In 1920 Jones Lumber Co. was moved to this location after the original building was razed. Later it was a shoe repair and store . . . — Map (db m88419) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 134 First Street — Historic Building circa 1890

Since 1890 this location has been a barber shop. Half the building has been an insurance agency and jewelry store. A new barber pole was installed in 1908. It is now in Miller's Museum.

Current owner is Joan Mitchell — Map (db m88462) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 135 First Street — Historic Building 1884

Constructed for $11,000 by John C. Knorpp, the second floor became the Knorpp Opera House, featuring vaudeville, drama and community functions. The ground floor became a grocery. In 1893 the opera hall was leased to the Masonic Lodge then, in . . . — Map (db m88479) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 136 First Street — Historic Building circa 1868

A bakery was here 1867-95. In 1891 a fire started up the street. Men were on top of 136 pouring on water from a line of buckets. A restaurant here in 1905 with sleeping rooms upstairs advertised "25 cents gets a square meal." In 1920 a cleaning . . . — Map (db m88469) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 140 First Street — Historic Building 1868

Was first used as a savings bank and housed banks until 1908. By 1890 the upper floors were used as lodge halls. Other occupants were dentists, real estate, loan, insurance, lawyers, telephone office and living quarters. The first floor has . . . — Map (db m88474) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — 400 Cedar St. — Historic Building circa 1860

This was the original site of the stone mill owned by F.H. Marshal and Son. Here they operated a corn mill, saw mill, a turning lathe and repair shop. In 1898, the top was removed so the red brick Kellogg Opera House could be built on the . . . — Map (db m88321) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Civil War Dead

These Hallowed Grounds hold the remains of George W. Armstead, Ira W. Crouse, W. H. Darling, J. L. Warren and 23 other Civil War Soldiers known but to God, who lost their lives on July 11, 1862 and May 15, 1863. — Map (db m88292) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Col. Hiram Bledsoe — Apr. 25. 1825 - Feb. 5. 1899 — Bledsoe's Battery

One of the finest artillery units of the Civil War was Bledsoe's Battery, commanded by Col. Hiriam [sic] Bledsoe, a resident of Pleasant Hill.

Born in Kentucky, he moved at age 14 to Lexington, Mo. In 1846 he joined the U. S. Army, Missouri . . . — Map (db m88348) HM WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Defenders of Freedom Veterans Memorial — "Some Gave All, All Gave Some"

"I see that the old flagpole still stands. Have your troops hoist the Colors to its peak, and let no enemy ever haul them down." Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace." . . . — Map (db m88344) HM WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Historic 115 Wyoming Street — 1866

This oldest building downtown stands on the original Pleasant Hill land grant of 1854 with a [sic] 126 years of continuous use.

In the 19th century, it was a furniture store and the town post office.

In the 20th century, it housed . . . — Map (db m88415) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Liberty Tree — 1776 • 1976

This certifies that a red cedar is recognized as a Liberty Tree Two Hundred Year Old Living Monument to our nation's history — Map (db m88315) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Memorial Building — Historic Building 1948

In 1944 the American Legion and American War Dads joined forces to honor the war dead with this Memorial Building. In 1947 the V.F.W. and the Ladies Auxiliaries joined them in a fund drive to save expenses. Volunteers cleaned salvaged bricks . . . — Map (db m88372) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot — Historic Building circa 1903

The first depot was of wood frame and built on this site in 1866. It burned in 1901. In 1903 this building was built for the Missouri Pacific R.R. and called the "finest in the state." In 1915 the Wells Fargo office here was robbed. The night . . . — Map (db m88338) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Philip Short Baldwin — In Loving Memory Of — July 7, 1894 • March 17, 1921

2nd. Lieutenant 138 Field Artillery, U.S.A. who died after serving his country in the World War

Volunteered April 26, went to France in December, 1917. At all times Corporal in the Field Artillery, 2nd Division Intelligence G2 Section . . . — Map (db m88291) HM WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — Pleasant Hill, Missouri

[Side A] Pleasant Hill dates back to Missouri's early pioneer days. As early as 1823, there was a trading post located two miles east of the present town that was operated by a French Canadian by the name of Blois.

In 1828, David Creek . . . — Map (db m88330) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — The Civil War in Pleasant Hill

The American Civil War had a profound and long-lasting impact on the Pleasant Hill area. Its location in the border state of Missouri ensured that residents would align themselves on both sides of the conflict. Numerous skirmishes were . . . — Map (db m88350) HM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives that we might live in peace

World War I James H. Biggerstaff • James L. Carpenter • Earnest J. Ditto • Newton J. Dudley • Wilford A. Fair • Jesse J. Hayes • Joseph S. Konantz • Joe Shelton • . . . — Map (db m88278) WM

Missouri (Cass County), Pleasant Hill — William McKitterick

The first man in the known world, who in 1871 commanded and induced swarming bees to enter the hive by retaining the queen bee. — Map (db m88294) HM


40 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement