Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

St. Louis County Missouri Historical Markers

284 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 84
 
#3 "Aerotrain" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, April 22, 2019
#3 "Aerotrain" Marker
Missouri (St. Louis County), Ballwin — #3 "Aerotrain" — Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific — 1955 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
One of the two experimental demonstrator "Aerotrains" (#2 and #3) built by GM with a new light weigh construction and low center of gravity concept, powered by 1,200 h.p. futuristic locomotives. Initially in mainline service, they rode poorly at . . . — Map (db m133024) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Ballwin — #J13218 — Buda
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Austin-Western Company, this gasoline powered road roller shows the transition from the earlier steam powered roller design to internal combustion power. This equipment was used to compress the soil and crushed rock to form a solid . . . — Map (db m133023) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Ballwin — Lockheed T-33 A Shooting Star — The workhorse jet trainer of the Cold War era
On Old Dougherty Ferry Road west of Arbor Station Court, on the left when traveling west.
Not long after the end of hostilities in World War II, the United States found itself once again in the position of retooling its military aviation programs, this time as a result of the dawn of the jet age. The propeller-driven fighters that had . . . — Map (db m133026) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Barry-Wehmiller Pavilion
Near Parkside Drive just south of Brighton Way, on the right when traveling north.
Up the hill stands the headquarters of Barry-Wehmiller, a global capital equipment manufacturer whose St. Louis roots date back to the 1880s. Its most enduring legacy, however, is its commitment to being an organization where people can develop and . . . — Map (db m142046) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Clayton — Saint Louis County
On Forsyth Boulevard at South Meramec Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Forsyth Boulevard.
The county was first visited by white colonists when missionary priests, Illinois French, and Kaskaskia and Tamaroa Indians settled the temporary village of Des Peres, 1700-03. The village site, laid out 18 years after La Salle claimed the territory . . . — Map (db m141896) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Crestwood — Grant's Trail: Sappington House and Father Dickson Cemetery
On Grant's Trail just west of Sappington Road, on the right when traveling west.
Sappington House • The Sappington House is the historic home of Thomas Sappington. Thomas was one of the seventeen children of John and Jemima Sappington, early pioneers of the area. John and Jemima Sappington moved to this area in 1804 . . . — Map (db m140976) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Eureka — A "Key" from the past...
Near Lewis Road at North Outer Road East.
This neon sign once helped bring weary travelers in for a bite to eat and some coffee at the Keys Cafι, formerly located in Franklin County, MO, on Historic Route 66 by the Twin Bridges. The sign has a distinctive "key" shape, playing on the . . . — Map (db m122394) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Florissant
Near Rue St. Francois 0.1 miles from North St. Charles Street.
French trappers discovered the fertile valley formed by the Reviere de Biche and called it Fleurissant. They stayed to till the rich soil and build a village here on the east bank of the stream the Americans would call Coldwater Creek the common . . . — Map (db m140712) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Old St. Ferdinand Shrine
On Rue St. Francois 0.1 miles from North St. Charles Street, on the right when traveling west.
This church was built in 1821, at the then frontier of our beloved land and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus with St. Ferdinand and St. John Francis Regis as secondary patrons — Map (db m140717) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Pierre-Jean De Smet, S.J. — b. 1-30-1801 d. 5-23-1873
On St. Francois Street just west of North St. Charles Street, on the right when traveling west.
Born in Termonde, Belgium, he came to the United States in 1821 and entered the Jesuit novitiate at White Marsh, Maryland. In 1823, he was sent to establish a new Jesuit mission in Florissant where he was ordained on September 23, 1827. Called the . . . — Map (db m140719) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne — b. 8-29-1769 d. 11-18-1852
On Rue St. Francois 0.1 miles west of North St. Charles Street, on the right when traveling west.
To the Native Americans, she was the Woman Who Always Prays. Born in France, she came to Florissant in 1819. Her convent home still stands and with Old St. Ferdinand's Shrine is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. She opened the . . . — Map (db m140720) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Florissant — Sunset Greenway
Near Rue St. Francois 0.1 miles west of North St. Charles Street, on the right when traveling west.
A Fertile Valley You are standing in one of Missouri's oldest settlements. In the last half of the 18th century, French trappers following the Riviere le Biche (Cold Water Creek) came upon this rich, fertile valley and settled here. . . . — Map (db m140743) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — 4th Marine Division — W. W. II 1943 - 1945 — Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue —
On Graves Drive at Rostrum Drive, on the left when traveling south on Graves Drive.

Dedicated to the memory of those who served with the Fourth Marine Division

Roi-Namur Feb. 1, 1944 Siapan [sic] June 15, 1944 Tinian July 24, 1944 Iwo Jima Feb. 19, 1945

Dedicated Sept. 24, 2005 — Map (db m124966) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — 4th Marine Division — W. W. II 1943 - 1945 — Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue —
On Graves Drive at Rostrum Drive, on the left when traveling south on Graves Drive.

Dedicated to the memory of those who served with the Fourth Marine Division

Roi-Namur Feb. 1, 1944 Siapan [sic] June 15, 1944 Tinian July 24, 1944 Iwo Jima Feb. 19, 1945

Dedicated Sept. 24, 2005 — Map (db m124967) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — 82nd Airborne Infantry Division US Army
On Truman Drive south of Algonquin Road, on the left when traveling south.

To our honored dead and to all soldiers who have served their country in the 82nd Airborne Infantry Division.

Activated 25 August 1917 as the 82nd "All American" Infantry Division. Participated in the Lorraine, St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne . . . — Map (db m124968) HM WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — All Sea Service Women — Dedicated To
On Flagstaff Drive at Graves Drive, on the right when traveling east on Flagstaff Drive.

Yeoman F. • Navy Nurses WAVES • Spars Navy Women • Women Marines

Dedicated May 9, 1998 — Map (db m124969) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Civil War Memorial — 1861 • 1865 — Fraternity • Charity • Loyalty —
On South Drive at Monument Drive, on the right when traveling east on South Drive.
. . . — Map (db m124970) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Civil War Union Women Memorial — 1861 • Lest We Forget • 1865 — Fraternity • Charity • Loyalty —
On South Drive at Monument Drive, on the right when traveling east on South Drive.

To honor the Union Women who fought on the battlefields, nursed and comforted the sick and dying, and sacrificed their own lives to preserve our nation

Dedicated June 2, 1996 — Map (db m124971) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery
On South Drive 0.1 miles west of Monument Drive, on the left when traveling west.
Military Prison in St. Louis St. Louis had two small Civil War prisons, each housing several hundred persons. Gratiot Street Prison was the former McDowell Medical College, located near Eighth and Gratiot streets and the Mississippi River. . . . — Map (db m124972) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Destroyer Escort and A.P.D. Sailors — Trim But Deadly — WWII • Korea • Vietnam —
On Graves Drive south of Flagstaff Drive, on the left when traveling south.

In memory of Navy and Coast Guard Sailors who served on Destroyer Escort and A.P.D. Ships

Dedicated Oct. 25, 2003 — Map (db m124973) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Fallen Marines and FMF Corpsmen Hero Memorial
On Flagstaff Drive at Graves Drive, on the right when traveling east on Flagstaff Drive.

Dedicated to and in remembrance of the Marines and FMF Corpsmen who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom

Dedicated September 28, 2013 —————————— No better . . . — Map (db m124974) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Minnesota Civil War Memorial
On Monument Drive at Longstreet Drive, in the median on Monument Drive.
. . . — Map (db m124975) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Navy Seabees — United States Navy Civil Engineer Corps — We Build We Fight —
On Flagstaff Drive at Rostrum Drive, on the right when traveling east on Flagstaff Drive.

With willing hearts and skillful hands the difficult we do at once The impossible takes a bit longer

Seabees Can Do — Map (db m124976) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — The Chosin Few — November 1950 December
On Rostrum Drive at Flagstaff Drive, on the left when traveling north on Rostrum Drive.

They who died are the Chosen Ones We who survive are the Chosin Few

KIA — 3,375 WIA — 6,000 MIA — 192 — Map (db m124977) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Third Infantry Division - U.S. Army — "Nous Resterons La"
On Graves Drive at Flagstaff Drive, on the left when traveling south on Graves Drive.

The Third Infantry Division was organized on November 21, 1917, and was in France by March, 1918. On July 18 it distinguished itself in defense at the Marne River at Chateau-Thierry, 45 miles northeast of Paris. Thus, the proud motto: "Rock of . . . — Map (db m124978) HM WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — To The Confederate Dead 1861 - 1865
On South Drive 0.1 miles west of Monument Drive, on the left when traveling west.
Who knows but it may be given to us, after this life, to meet again in the old quarters, to play chess and draughts, to get up soon to answer the morning roll call, to fall in at the tap of the drum for drill and dress parade and again to hastily . . . — Map (db m124979) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — U.S. Army Air Forces Air Crash Victims May 13, 1945
On Monument Drive south of Middle Drive, on the right when traveling south.

Died May 13 1945 in an air crash Hidden Valley Dutch New Guinea

MAJ Herman F Antonini Illinois June 4 1915

MAJ Phillip J Dattilo Kentucky March 18 1914

PFC Alethia M Fair California September 16, 1894

CAPT . . . — Map (db m124980) HM WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — U.S. Submariners Lost in World War II
On Rostrum Drive at Graves Drive, on the left when traveling north on Rostrum Drive.

This monument is dedicated to the 52 United States Submarines lost during World War II and their crewmen and officers who perished in that war.

Erected in 2003 by the surviving members of the Ill-Mo Rebel Squadron, a chapter . . . — Map (db m124981) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — United States Marine Corps — "Uncommon Valor Was a Common Virtue" — "In Service to God and County" —
On Rostrum Drive at Flagstaff Drive, on the left when traveling north on Rostrum Drive.
. . . — Map (db m124983) WM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Victims of the Japanese Massacre — Puerto Princesa, Palawan, P.I. [Philippine Islands] — December 14, 1944 —
On Circle Drive east of Bundy Drive, on the left when traveling east.

These U.S. prisoners of war of the Japanese were on the island of Palawan, P.I. as slave laborers building an airfield for the Japanese military. Believing that an invasion by the U.S. forces was imminent, the prisoners were forced into three . . . — Map (db m124984) HM WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — World War II Merchant Marine Seamen and Navy Armed Guard Memorial — In Peace And War
On Flagstaff Drive at Rostrum Drive, on the right when traveling east on Flagstaff Drive.

Dedicated to the memory of Merchant Marine Seamen and Navy Armed Guard who gave their lives in World War II in the service of their country

United States Merchant Marine World War II Losses Ships - 731 Merchant Seamen - . . . — Map (db m124985) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood
On East Adams Avenue just east of North Kirkwood Road (U.S. 61/67), on the right when traveling east.
The First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood was organized, by the grace of God, in September 1854, and has been on this site since 1856. The original brick building was replaced by a stone building in 1889. This tower was the entrance to that stone . . . — Map (db m140844) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Kirkwood Depot
On West Argonne Drive just west of South Kirkwood Road (U.S. 61/67), on the right when traveling east.
In 1852 this land was obtained from Owen Collins by the Pacific Railroad for a right of way and in 1863 a frame depot was built. Here members of the first school board met to draft the charter of the Kirkwood School District which was granted on . . . — Map (db m140848) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Kirkwood — Remembering the Achievements of James P. Kirkwood — March 27, 1807 - April 22, 1877 — Co-Founder (1852) and Second President (1867-1868) of the American Society of Civil Engineers —
Near West Argonne Drive 0.1 miles west of South Kirkwood Road (U.S. 61/67), on the right when traveling east.
James Pugh Kirkwood was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. He came to the United States in 1832 and was appointed Resident Engineer for the Western Railway of Massachusetts, and later the Long Island Railroad. He won recognition for the rapid construction . . . — Map (db m140854) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — 66 Park-In Theater — 1947-1994 — Crestwood, MO —
On Manchester Road (State Highway 100), on the right when traveling east.
Not just movies attracted patrons to this open-air theatre advertising "cool breezes" before the advent of air-conditioning. Pony rides, a Ferris wheel and a trained bear cub served as amusements. "The 66" was dubbed "the passion pit" by local teens. — Map (db m139578) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Chain Of Rocks Bridge — 1929-1970
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Chain Of Rocks Bridge 1929-1970 Saint Louis,MO Only a drop in scrap metal prices in the early 1970's saved this relic from demolition. The bridge brought high volumes of drivers across the Mississippi until the early 1960's. No longer . . . — Map (db m139688) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Citizens National Bank — 1915-Present — Maplewood, MO —
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Surviving the Great Depression and a fire, Citizens National Bank offered the first walk-up and drive-up window service in the Midwest. The bank has served as a model of corporate citizenship, providing invaluable support to the City of Maplewood. — Map (db m139671) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Coral Court — 1941-1993 — Marlboroough, MO —
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Rooms with private garages renting for four to eight hours at a time crystallized racy reputation of mythical proportions for this 77-room motor inn. The rate structure was created for tired truckers, but a more discreet clientele were attracted. — Map (db m139536) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Empire Supply — 1931-Present
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Empire Supply 1931-Present Maplewood,MO

William Loomstein, a former Russian Czar guard who endured the Great Depression, started anew as a purveyor of paint and hardware the same year the Empire State Building opened. The 3rd generation . . . — Map (db m139670) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Fun Fair Park — 1927-1977 — Saint Louis, MO —
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Originally eyed for the 1904 World's Fair, the area just west of the Chain of Rocks Bridge became a lively amusement park. Attractions included a hand-carved 46-horse carousel, "The Swooper" an oval-shaped Ferris wheel and "The Comet" roller coaster. — Map (db m139659) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Jay B. Smith Funeral Home — 1932-Present — Maplewood, MO —
On Manchester Road (Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Originally Sarah Sutton Harrison's home (c.1890), the mansion was transformed into a funeral home by Jay B. Smith and purchased by John B. Hardy in 1967. The 2nd generation of the Hardy family remains at the helm as a devoted corporate citizen. — Map (db m139558) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Kalb Electric — 1909-Present — Maplewood, MO —
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Kalb Electric has been family-owned and operated for more than a century. Originally, the business provided electrical services and hardware. Since 1956, the company has sold lighting fixtures and lamp parts and offered repair services. — Map (db m139685) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Katz Drug Store — 1914-1971 — Various Locations —
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
The neon cat sign was a prominent fixture that smiled down on many a traveler along Route 66. Pioneering the model for the mass market drug store, Katz held a significant place in Maplewood's historic landscape post-dating the original alignment era. — Map (db m139519) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Saratoga Lanes — 1916-Present — Maplewood, MO —
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
The Saratoga Billiards & Bowling Alley is the oldest of its kind west of the Mississippi. An "upstair-zer", the 8-lane bowling alley has provided fun for generations of bowlers, pool players, travelers and socialites making it a treasured landmark. — Map (db m139579) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Scheidt Hardware — 1905-Present
On Manchester Road (Missouri Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Scheidt Hardware 1905-Present Maplewood,MO Emil and Rosa Scheidt began their business as Wohlwend Hardware. The current store was originally the Maplewood Theatre, c.1910. The sloping floor was leveled in 1916 and marks from the rows of . . . — Map (db m139687) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Sunnen Products Company — 1924-Present — Maplewood, MO —
On Manchester Road (State Highway 100), on the right when traveling east.
Joe Sunnen and his wife, Cornelia, sold valve tools from their truck with little more than a spirit to succeed. Today, the firm is the world's largest integrated precision bore sizing company and they played a key role in Maplewood's redevelopment. — Map (db m139522) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — The Wedge — 1893-1972 — Maplewood, MO —
On Manchester Road (State Highway 100), on the right when traveling east.
Built as an early turn-around for the horse-drawn trolley lines from St. Louis, the building saw many changes in its eight-decade existence. It later served as a grocery, a saloon and finally E.J. Tire Store (c. 1921) until its demolition. — Map (db m139518) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Rock Hill — Fairfax House
On South McKnight Road north of Manchester Road (Missouri Highway 100), on the right when traveling north.
[Plaque to the left of the door] Faifax House This house, built circa 1841, by James Collier Marshall an early resident of the Rock Hill area, is one of the oldest homes along Manchester Road, in St. Louis County, Missouri . . . — Map (db m124919) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Sappington — Saint Louis
On Lindbergh Boulevard (U.S. 61/67) 0.2 miles west of Roxanna Drive, on the right when traveling north.
First city of the Trans-Mississippi West and second permanent settlement in Missouri. Founded, 1764, by the New Orleans Frenchman Laclede as a trading post to tap the rich fur resources of the Missouri Valley. Named for canonized Louis IX, French . . . — Map (db m140858) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Spanish Lake — Fort Belle Fontaine — Bicentennial Commemoration — 1806-2006 —
On Bellefontaine Road 0.7 miles north of Fountainhead Lane, on the left when traveling east.
Lewis and Clark Expedition camped on this site on their return from the West on September 22, 1806 — Map (db m142545) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Spanish Lake — Fort Belle Fontaine
On Bellefontaine Road 0.6 miles east of Fountainhead Lane, on the left when traveling east.
Fort Belle Fontaine was built in 1805 on a low plain near the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. Belle Fontaine was the first U.S. military post located in the newly acquired Louisiana Territory and was originally called Cantonment . . . — Map (db m142606) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Spanish Lake — The Lewis and Clark Expedition — Fort Belle Fontaine — 22 September 1806 —
On Bellefontaine Road 0.7 miles north of Fountainhead Lane, on the left when traveling east.
Members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition spent the last night of their 7,500 mile jouney at Fort Belle Fontaine. Located on the south bank of the Missouri River near Coldwater Creek, it had been built in 1805 while they were crossing the continent . . . — Map (db m142613) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Spanish Lake — Welcome to Fort Belle Fontaine
Near Bellefontaine Road 0.4 miles north of Fountainhead Lane, on the left when traveling north.
Why is this Park Important? •St. Louis was a center of military activity for the trans-Mississippi West for 181 years (1765-1946) •Cantonment Belle Fontaine - First Indian factory (trading post) built west of the Mississippi (1805) . . . — Map (db m142539) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — "Black Diamond" — Reading — 1889 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
2-2-2 Type inspection locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. The "Black Diamond" has a walnut paneled observation room, seats eight, is 22'9 1/4" long weighs 26,300 lbs, and is beloved to the the last steam inspection locomotive in existence . . . — Map (db m132990) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — "Daniel Nason" — Boston & Providence — 1863 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This 4-4-0 "American" type locomotive was designed by Master Mechanic George S. Griggs and built by the railroad's shops. It is the only surviving "Dutch Wagon," locomotive, with its cylinders under the smokebox and inside the frames, a popular . . . — Map (db m132981) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1 — City of St. Louis Water Division — 1924 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Whitcomb Locomotive Company of Rochelle, Illinois built this 15 ton, model SRD industrial switching locomotive. It was a gasoline-mechanical engine, but it was later given an 87 HP, 3-cylinder, GM diesel engine. It has a clutch and manual . . . — Map (db m132940) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #102 — Arkansas & Missouri — 1899 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This wooden "combine" car carries both coach passengers and baggage. It is typical of many cars of the era, and was used for Boston area commuter service after steel cars became common. Its body is 60' 6" long, and its overall length is 67' 6." It . . . — Map (db m132984) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #103 — General Motors — 1939 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Electro-Motive Division of GM as part of "the diesel that did it", the four unit demonstrator locomotive that proved the efficiency of diesel power compared to steam. Number 103 is a 16 cylinder, 567 series engine rated at 1350 h.p. . . . — Map (db m133014) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1057 — General American Pfaulder Corporation Milk Car
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
In this car the small sliding door above the side entry door was used for the milk loading hose. To keep the interior as clean as possible during loading the entry doors were kept closed once this piping was hooked up unless a worker was going in or . . . — Map (db m132941) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1082 — Northern Pacific — 1954 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This caboose was built by the Northern Pacific Railway at their Brainerd, MN shops. The cupola on top is a lookout for its crew, where they can keep watch on the freight cars as the train runs. It was rebuilt in 1968 with a propane-fired heater . . . — Map (db m132935) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #113 — New York Central & Hudson River — 1906 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by ALCO-GE for use on electrified track between Grand Central station in New York City and Harmon, N.Y. Number 113 is a 2+D+2 Class S-2 which was the prototype for thousands of Lionel and Ives electric trains. Donated in 1963 by the New York . . . — Map (db m132947) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1149 — U.S. Army Transportation Corp — 1952 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by Davenport Besler Corp., the #1149 is a 1-B-1 experimental gas-turbine locomotive which has two Boeing 502-2E, 150 h.p. jet engine type gas turbine and was tested by the Army at Fort Eustis, VA. Donated in 1980 by its designer R. Tom Sawyer. — Map (db m132939) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1365 — Brooklyn Rapid Transit — 1905 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east. Reported damaged.
The jewett car Company of Newark, OH, built the "convertible," double-ended elevated car with removable window panels as of an order for 100 cars. They operated as open sided cars with safety bars across the window openings during warm weather. This . . . — Map (db m132957) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #13889 — Missouri Pacific — 1980 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
A total of 350 of these main line cabooses were built by the railroad between 1977 and 1981 as the last such cars purchased by the Missouri Pacific. The bay windows extending out from each side were used by the crew to keep the train under . . . — Map (db m132936) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1522 — St. Louis - San Francisco (Frisco) — 1926 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this Mountain-type (4-8-2) fast freight and passenger locomotive for $69,000. It was one of a series of 30 engines, and operated for 1,754,373 miles before is 1951 retirement. It has 69 1/2" driving wheels, 28" x . . . — Map (db m132988) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1575 — Illinois Terminal — 1918 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the IT Railroad in its Decatur, IL shops, the 1575 is a Class B electric freight B+B locomotive equipped with four GE 69-C motors. It weighs 120,000 lbs. and has tractive effort of 30,000 lbs. Donated in 1968 by the St. Louis Car Division . . . — Map (db m132945) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1582 — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1916 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The baggage car is located just behind the express and mail cars and ahead of the passenger-carrying cars in the train. It is used to transport personal baggage, as well as items such as skis, bicycles, dogs, cats, and other pets accompanying their . . . — Map (db m132931) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1595 — Illinois Terminal — 1928 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Illinois Terminal built 20 Class C elec tric interurban freight locomotives at their Decatur, IL shops, using trucks, traction motors and control equipment from retired passenger cars. These were needed as freight trains became heavier, and are . . . — Map (db m132955) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1621 — St. Louis - San Francisco / Eagle Picher — 1918 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This is a 2-10-0 decapod type freight locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works for Imperial Russia, which contracted with Baldwin in 1915 for some 1,200 locomotives. Following the Russian Revolution, and therefore the inability to deliver these . . . — Map (db m132951) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #1942 — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1922 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The mail was picked up, sorted and delivered in this 70' car. Mail destined for this train was placed in a large pouch and attached to a crane (hook) located alongside the track. On each side of the mail car is a steel V-shaped catcher arm. Without . . . — Map (db m132928) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #2 — Laclede Christy — 1907 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
0-4-0T Four Wheel Switcher built by Davenport Locomotive Works, it is a coal burning, narrow gauge (30"), saddle tank locomotive (it carried it's water and fuel on the engine so it did not need a tender) that was used at the Laclede Christy Company . . . — Map (db m132911) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #2003 — Joplin - Pittsburg (Missouri - Kansas) — 1936 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built at the Plymouth Locomotive Works of Plymouth, Ohio, number 2003 is a propane-electric unit used in short line freight service on the Joplin-Pittsburg Railroad and later on the Kansas City public service freight operations (as #1). It weighs . . . — Map (db m132948) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #206 — Illinois Terminal Railbus — 1939 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the White Motor Company as a school bus, it was adapted to rail by the IT railroad which equipped it with a special rear axle, flanged wheels and a four wheel front bogie truck. This railbus, "The Dinky", was used to transport passengers . . . — Map (db m132986) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #2727 — Chesapeake & Ohio — 1944 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
2-8-4 Kanawha (or Berkshire) type freight locomotive built by ALCO, THE 2727 weighs 850,000 lbs. is 105' 1 7/8" long, has a roller bearings on all of it's axles and could generate more than 5,000 h.p. Donated in 1957 by the Chesapeake & Ohio . . . — Map (db m133015) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #274 — Chicago and Northwestern — 1873 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
4-4-0 American type passenger locomotive built by Baldwin Locomotive Works. Number 274 features a rigid coupler with a slotted knuckle to mate with link-and-pin couplers and one of the earliest 6" air compressors with cam operated driver brakes. . . . — Map (db m132969) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #2804 — Union Pacific — 1966 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by General Electric, this model U28C freight locomotive has a 16 cylinder, 4 cycle turbo charged engine which produces 2,800 horsepower. It is 67 feet 3 inches long, weighs 360,000 pound and has a 2,900 gallon capacity fuel tank. Union Pacific . . . — Map (db m132994) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #2933 — New York Central — 1929 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
4-8-2 Mohawk-type locomotive built by Alco for fast freight service. Later versions performed both passenger and freight duties. Number 2933 has 69" drivers and weighs 370,150 pounds. Donated in 1963 by the New York Central Railroad. Restoration . . . — Map (db m132954) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #30 — Illinois Central, University of Illinois Dynamometer Car — 1943 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Illinois Central railroad at it's Burnside shops in Chicago with the instruments provided by the University of Illinois (the car was jointly owned). The dynamometer car is a rolling laboratory that tests the pulling power of . . . — Map (db m132993) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #311 — Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) — 1890 & 1923 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this 4-4-0 (American Standard) type locomotive. It was extensively rebuilt by the railroad, getting a new boiler, new steam chests with piston valves, a steel cab, and a new tender, and it was converted to burn . . . — Map (db m132974) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #318 — Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis — 1926 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This eight-wheel (0-8-0), heavy steam switcher was "home-built" at the TRRA's Brooklyn, IL, shops. It was the first steam locomotive ever built with a one-piece, solid cast steel locomotive bed, which included its cylinders with the frame and pilot . . . — Map (db m132989) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #3607 — Erie-Lackawanna — 1967 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors for $284,000.00, this SD-45 heavy freight locomotive has a model V-20 turbo charged engine. This model has 20 cylinders and is the first V-20 engine ever made which was the largest ever used on . . . — Map (db m133022) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #39 "Marmora" — Boston & Albany — 1876 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
4-4-0 American type passenger locomotive, #39 was christened the "Marmora" when it was built in 1876 at the Boston & Albany's Srpingfield, Mass. shops. Designed by Master Mechanic Wilson Eddy #39 was one of the hundred "Eddy Clocks" known for their . . . — Map (db m132968) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #4006 — Union Pacific "Big Boy" — Cab Open for Display —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1941 by the American Locomotive Company at a cost of $265,000.00 number 4006 is one of 25 "big boys," the largest successful steam locomotives ever built, with a total weight over 600 tons. It is 132'9 1/4" long, carries 33 tons of coal and . . . — Map (db m133017) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #408 — Sabine River & Northern — 1937 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This Model NC diesel-electric switcher cost $91,500.00 has a 900 h.p., 12 cylinder, Winston 201 A engine, weighs 250,000 lbs. and has a cast frame (modern locomotives have a fabricated / welded frame). Switch engines are used primarily to sort . . . — Map (db m132952) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #4502 — Missouri Pacific — 1955 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) built this model RS-3 diesel-electric, four axle (B-B), road switcher locomotive. It produced 1600 hp from a 12 cylinder, model 244 engine. The RS-3 was built from May 1950 to August 1956, and 1,370 were . . . — Map (db m132978) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #4700 — Pennsylvania — 1931 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This is one of two class P-5 prototypes built at the railroad's Altoona, PA, shops. They led to the construction of 90 additional, class P-5a locomotives which were built for electrified passenger service between New York City, Philadelphia, PA, . . . — Map (db m132960) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #4916 — Amtrak — 1942 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Pennsylvania Railroad as #4918 or use in the Northeast Corridor from New York to Washington, D.C. This GGI class electric locomotive was 1 of 139 which were built from 1934 o 1943. It is 79 feet 6 inches long, weighs 477,000 pounds and . . . — Map (db m132958) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #50 — Baltimore & Ohio — 1935 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by General Motors/ General Electric in Erie, Pennsylvania, this 1,800 h.p. locomotive was the first non-articulated, high speed, mainline passenger locomotive on the American railroads. Originally powering the B&O's "Royal Blue" passenger . . . — Map (db m132949) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #5011 — Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe — Cab open for display—Ring bell! —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1944 by Baldwin Locomotive Works at a cost of $264,681.00, number 5011 is one of the largest non-articulated locomotives ever built, with a total weight over 470 tons. Built for fast freight service, the 5011 has 74" driving wheels-the . . . — Map (db m132979) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #5441 — St. Joe Mining Corporation Ore Train — 1942 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Goodman Equipment Corporation to extract lead ore (galena) from the St. Joe Mineral Mines in Bonne Terre, Missouri, these two ton capacity cars were pulled by the eight ton electric locomotive. Power supply came from an overhead source. . . . — Map (db m132899) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #551 — Chicago & Illinois Midland — 1928 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
2-8-2 USRA Light Mikado-Type freight locomotive built by Lima Locomotive Works. During WWI the United States Railroad Administration developed standardized railroad designs and there were thousands of Mikados built. Mikados were considered the "work . . . — Map (db m132925) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #5529 — Canadian National — 1905 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
4-6-2 Pacific type passenger locomotive built by the Locomotive and Machine Works of Montreal, Limited, the Canadian branch of ALCO, the 5529 weighs 346,030 lbs., has brakes on the lead trucks and is an excellent example of early 20th Century . . . — Map (db m132970) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #573 — Wabash — 1899 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works, this 2-6-0 mogul-type freight locomotive was retained two years after the Wabash had become dieselized because of a bridge which no support the weight of diesel-electric locomotives. Number 573 weighs . . . — Map (db m132953) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #6117 — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1917 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the American Car & Foundry Company for the CB&Q, this 80' day coach was used in mainline and branch service. It is of riveted steel construction and is equipped with axle driven electric generators and mechanical air conditioning. Donated . . . — Map (db m132934) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #662 — Panama Canal — 1914 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
General Electric built this lock-towing locomotive as part of the original equipment for the Panama Canal, the first of a fleet that grew to over 100. Three locks at each end of the canal raised and lowered the ships 85 feet as they passed through . . . — Map (db m132905) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #6944 — Union Pacific — "Centennial" —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Centennials were built between 1969 & 1971 by the Electro Motive division of General Motors Corporation. The name "Centennial" honors the anniversary of the completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 1869. Number 6944, built in 1971, . . . — Map (db m133020) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #71 — St. Louis - Southwestern (Cotton Belt) — 1904 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
American Car and Foundry built this 60' long mail/express car for about $8,000. It weighs 80,000 pounds, has a wooden body and its underframe. The turnbuckles that join the two ends of each rod at the center of the car can be adjusted to keep the . . . — Map (db m132985) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #724 — Georgia Railroad — 1896 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built this six-wheel or 0-6-0 switching locomotive used to move cars in a rail yard or industrial plant. Switchers were meant for low speeds and sharp curves. They usually didn't have leading or trailing wheels, putting . . . — Map (db m132937) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #750 — Missouri Pacific — 1940 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
American Car and Foundry built this lightweight parlor- observation car largely of riveted aluminum, with some low-allow, high-tensile steel. It seats 26 first class passenger in individual reclining and rotating parlor seats, six in the observation . . . — Map (db m132995) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #8 — American Steel Foundries — 1948 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Whitcomb Locomotive Company of Rochelle, IL, built this 65-ton industrial switcher, model 65-DE-17-A. It has a B-B classification and cost $49,775. It was built with two Hercules, 4-cycle, 6 cylinder diesel engines that each produced 240 HP, for . . . — Map (db m132977) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #884 — Spokane, Portland & Seattle — 1954 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway was jointly owned by the Northern Pacific and the Great Northern Railways. This caboose was built by the Northern Pacific Railway at its Brainerd, MN shops, and is equipped with an oil-fired heater and . . . — Map (db m132938) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #9 — "Charles H." - Lake Street Elevated — 1893 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Rhode Island Locomotive Works built this 0-4-4T Forney-type locomotive (named for its designer, Matthias N. Forney) for use on a Chicago elevated line. The "T" indicates it is a tank locomotive, without a separate tender. Hundreds of Forney . . . — Map (db m132996) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #900081 — Union Pacific — 1966 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Designed and built by the Union Pacific Railroad in the Omaha Shop, this rotary snowplow is the heaviest ever built weighing 367,400 lbs. Its cutting wheel could throw snow far to either side of the track as it was pushed forward at four to six mph. . . . — Map (db m133019) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #952 — Delaware, Lackawanna & Western — 1905 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in Schenectady, NY, this 4-4-0 is a "Camelback" or "Mother Hubbard" locomotive. It gets that name from the engineer's cab being located in its center, above the boiler. This is due to the wide firebox . . . — Map (db m132982) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #95589 — St. Louis Southwestern Maintenance of Way — Wedge Snow Plow —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Made from a steam locomotive's "whale back" tender by removing the fuel tank and placing the plow on the water tank which was filled with rock to weigh it down. The plow would push it through the snow. Donated in 1995 by the Southern Pacific . . . — Map (db m133021) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #96500 — General American Transportation Company — 1965 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the General American Transportation Corporation, number 96500 is the world's largest tank car. Used for experimental purposes, transporting anhydrous ammonia and lp gas, this "whale belly" unit carried 60,200 gallons, weighs 220 tons fully . . . — Map (db m132950) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #9908 "Silver Charger" — Chicago, Burlington & Quincy — 1939 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Budd Company with the engine a 1,000 H.P. 567 diesel built by General Motors' Electro Motive Division. At 80' long and weighing 202,000 lbs. #9908 was the last of the early "Zephyr" trains in which the car body housed the engine and . . . — Map (db m132924) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — #E-2 — Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific — 1920 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by General Electric to pull transcontinental passenger trains through the Cascade Mountains, number E-2 is one of five 1+B-D-D-B+1 "gearless bi-polars" which means the 12 traction motors are mounted directly on the driving axles thus . . . — Map (db m132943) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — A Community within a Community / ~150 Years Ago—Contraband
Near Grant Road 0.4 miles north of Gravois Road (State Highway 30), on the right when traveling north.
(left panel) A Community within a Community Surrounding this slave plantation in the 1850s were other large properties that were also dependent on slave labor. Interwoven with these were smaller tracts of land where family . . . — Map (db m124987) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — A Place Called Home / ~150 Years Ago—Petersburg
Near Grant Road 0.4 miles north of Gravois Road (State Highway 30), on the right when traveling north.
(left panel) A Place Called Home The Dent and Grant families spent many enjoyable years on this plantation while their children were growing up. While a few of the enslaved people lived in the house, most were housed in log . . . — Map (db m124988) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — A Slave Plantation
Near Grant Road 0.4 miles north of Gravois Road (State Highway 30), on the right when traveling north.
In 1843, Ulysses S. Grant first visited White Haven as a young second lieutenant. In the decades after that first visit, Grant, White Haven, and the country underwent vast changes in response to the turbulent issues that divided the nation. . . . — Map (db m124989) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — ACFX #26640 — American Car & Foundry — 1960 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by American Car & Foundry, this two compartment, 70-ton capacity steel covered hopper was used to carry bulk items which needed protection from the elements. Cement, grain, dry chemicals, and plastic pellets are examples of typical cargo. . . . — Map (db m132930) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Changes at White Haven / ~150 Years Ago - Grants Horses
Near Grant Road 0.3 miles north of Gravois Road (U.S. 30), on the right when traveling north.
Changes at White Haven (left panel) The end of the war brought many changes to the White Haven estate. The previously enslaved African Americans were free and appear to have left the area. Labor was now provided by German and French . . . — Map (db m122399) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Civil War Destruction
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Civil War did not help the Pacific Railroad's finances or construction schedule. Railroads and their destruction were an important strategic element in the battles between North and South; General Sherman's army in its march across Georgia, . . . — Map (db m133001) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Douglas Aircraft C-47A Transport — It's plane to see why this is a Museum favorite!
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This twin-engine 1943 Douglas Aircraft product, the military version of the DC-3, is believed to have been used by the United Sates Army Air Force in the World War II invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944. • The plane is painted in . . . — Map (db m132915) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Early Owners of the Farm — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
The builder of the house, as well as its subsequent owners, were well-known and respected individuals, and the farm reflected their status in the St. Louis community. Modifications were made to the original two-story, four-room structure to . . . — Map (db m124992) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Grant's Departure / ~150 Years Ago—
Near Grant Road 0.4 miles north of Gravois Road (State Highway 30), on the right when traveling north.
(left panel) Grant’s Departure After the Presidency and a world tour, Ulysses and Julia Grant settled in New York to be closer to their children and grandchildren. While the romance of one day returning to White Haven remained, . . . — Map (db m124990) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Green Haven? — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
On Grant Road.
Colonel Dent named the property White Haven after his family home in Maryland. Paint analysis indicated the home was painted various colors in the nineteenth century, including Paris Green with a dark green trim, as seen on this wall and . . . — Map (db m124993) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Ground-breaking!
Near Barrett Station Road, on the right when traveling east.
On July 4, 1851, over two years after the Missouri State Legislature had chartered the Pacific Railroad, construction finally began. At this point, most Missourians had caught the "railroad fever," rallying behind construction projects. The . . . — Map (db m133006) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Illinois Terminal Neon Sign
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This early neon was originally attached to the Central Terminal Building of the Illinois Terminal (IT) Railroad on Twelfth (now Tucker) Boulevard at Delmar in St. Louis, Missouri. The building opened in 1932 and housed the offices of the It as well . . . — Map (db m132980) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Jay Gould and the Missouri Pacific
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Ten years after the White Line scandal broke, the Missouri Pacific (it had been re-named as other "Pacific" railroads were constructed) was not faring much better than it had in the past. Despite the 1874 construction of the Eads Bridge over the . . . — Map (db m133009) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery — Missouri's Civil War 1861 - 1865
On Sheridan Road 0.3 miles east of Telegraph Road (Missouri Route 231), on the left when traveling east.
The Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery was established by joint resolution of Congress in 1866, among the first burial grounds officially designated in the wake of the Civil War. Under the care of the Veterans Administration, the facility is open . . . — Map (db m124986) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Lewis and Clark — Confluence — Columbia Bottom, Missouri —
On Upper Columbia Bottom Road, in the median.
June 20, 1803 President Thomas Jefferson’s instructions to Meriwether Lewis on river exploration: “The object of your mission is to explore the Missouri river, & such principle stream of it, as, by its course & communication with . . . — Map (db m124994) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — MCHX #117 — Monstanto Chemicals Company — 1940 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by American Car & Foundry Company for Monsanto, this 8,000 gallon, double hull car was designed for transporting concentrated nitric acid, which is extremely corrosive. The inner tank is constructed of an aluminum alloy, which is protected by . . . — Map (db m132933) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Michael Joseph Blassie — Originally Unknown Vietnam Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery
On Sheridan Road.
Front Michael Joseph Blassie 1st Lt. US Air Force Vietnam Apr 4 1948 May 11, 1972 Beloved Son and Brother

Back Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, Air Medal and 4 OLC. Killed in Action-Unknown Soldier May 28, . . . — Map (db m124995) WM

Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — MKT #1 — Missouri-Kansas-Texas — 1882 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This side-door caboose was rebuilt in 1899, and the renumbered and modified several times in its long life, but its original builder is unknown. It does not have the usual cupola or lookout on its roof, making it more difficult for its crew to . . . — Map (db m132971) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Museum of Transportation - A Layout of the Land
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
✪ The William R. and Laura Rand Orthwein Education & Visitors Center Opened in 2012, the Orthwein Center houses rotating exhibits, The Creation Station, the Boxcar Boutique Gift & Concession Shop, restrooms, and the Welcome Desk. . . . — Map (db m132895) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Narrow Gauge
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
In the 1860s a movement toward construction of railways with narrow gauge tracks began in Norway and the British Empire. The first was built to 3' 6" gauge in Norway and opened in 1862. The same gauge was used in India and Queensland (Australia), . . . — Map (db m132923) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — New Buildings for White Haven — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
Grant's plans for developing the farm resulted in many improvements, including a barn and stable built between 1869 and 1872. The stable you see today housed Grant's horses. The barn that also appears in the 1875 illustration of the farm sheltered . . . — Map (db m124996) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Outbuildings / ~150 Years Ago—Colored Troops
Near Grant Road 0.4 miles north of Gravois Road (Missouri Route 30), on the right when traveling north.
(left panel) Outbuildings Operating an 850-acre slave plantation required numerous outbuildings. Col. Frederick Dent's enslaved African-Americans labored in these outbuildings and kept the farm self-sufficient prior to the Civil . . . — Map (db m124991) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Pilot Wheel from the Steamer Capital (1879-1945)
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Pilot Wheel from the Steamer Capital 1879-1945 Built in Cincinnati Ohio Three boilers each 47"X28' — 5 flues Stern paddlewheel 21' Diameter 28' buckets 257.2' X 40.6' X 6' Draws 24" light — Map (db m132916) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Pitman Arms from S.S. Admiral — 1940 - 1970
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Pitman Arms are used to transfer power from the engines to paddle wheels of steamboats operating as connecting rods. — Map (db m132906) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Riot in the Tunnels
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right.
One of the first projects on the Pacific Railroad was the construction of the first tunnels west of the Mississippi River — the Barretts Tunnels — one of which is currently located on the Museum of Transportation's grounds, about 13 . . . — Map (db m133004) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — SBIX #1634 — Standard Brands Industries — 1938 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by Fleishman Transportation Company (a subsidiary of Standard Brands), this vinegar car tank car was originally constructed of cypress and fir woods. Metal cars could not be used due to the corrosive nature of the vinegar. It was painted . . . — Map (db m132992) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Slaves Only — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
Contrast this simple bead-board door to the finer paneled ones throughout the rest of the house. Its crude appearance suggests only slaves used this door to enter and exit the home.

One method employed to control slaves was to restrict their . . . — Map (db m124997) HM

Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — SL-SF#3000 — St. Louis- San Francisco — 1960 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the St. Louis-San Francisco (Frisco) Railway, number 3000 is the first tri-level rack built to carry automobiles. Its inside dimensions are 83' long, 8'6" wide and it used concrete for ballast. Due to vandalism by enclosed automotive . . . — Map (db m132946) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — St. Joe Minerals Corporation Shovel — circa 1922
On Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This "low head Mucker Shovel" was built by the St. Louis Shovel company, which later became the Goodman Equipment Corporation, to meet the specific requirements of the St. Joe Lead Company. In use it simulated the movements of a man using a hand . . . — Map (db m132901) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The "Katy Flyer"
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This train began touring the Missouri-Kansas-Texas system with locomotive #311 in 1945. It served as an operating exhibit illustrating the pioneer days and celebrating the 75th anniversary of the line. The "Katy Flyer" was donated by the . . . — Map (db m132973) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Gasconade Bridge Disaster
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
By 1855, the Pacific Railroad had earned itself a poor reputation. Other railroads were not experiencing the same degree of difficulty in construction. the road was costing more than expected in time and money, leading to a legislative investigation . . . — Map (db m132999) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The H.T. Pott Towboat — Imagine traveling down the Missouri...
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
You can walk the decks of the "H.T. Pott," the first Missouri River towboat with a welded steel hull instead of a riveted hull. • The vessel, built in 1933, operated out of Kansas City, MO. It is named for Herman T. Pott (1895-1982), a . . . — Map (db m132913) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Missouri Pacific Today...
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Out of Gould's efforts and despite being disconnected from some links in his system, the Missouri Pacific ultimately flourished in the first half of the 20th century. Through consolidation, leases and further construction, the "Route of the Eagles" . . . — Map (db m133010) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Pacific Railroad Controversy
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
"As one intrusted with your interests, I felt that your rights had been disregarded, and I did not fail to express my convictions in pretty strong language, to which Mr. Garrison and his associates took great exceptions and have never forgiven . . . — Map (db m133003) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Pacific Railroad of Missouri: Audacious Dreams & Harsh Realities
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
19th century St. Louis was lucky. Its strategic location along some of "nature's highways," namely the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, turned the region into a center of commerce. By mid century, steamboats had become a dominant form of . . . — Map (db m133012) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Push Poles and Poling
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Dimple-like sockets are often found at the lower corner of freight cars, on the ends of locomotive pilot beams and on the rear corners of tenders. These were needed for a type of switching called "poling." The car to be moved was not on the . . . — Map (db m132926) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Roads to White Haven — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
Settlement in St. Louis County first occurred along the three main thoroughfares out from the city: Gravois to the southwest, Manchester to the west, and Natural Bridge to the northwest. Railroad development paralleled the Mississippi River to the . . . — Map (db m124998) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Sellers Turntable
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The turntable is one of the most distinctive objects from the steam era of American railroading. It is the most efficient way to turn a steam locomotive around, using less space than any other method. A turntable was often located in the center of a . . . — Map (db m132908) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The White Haven Estate: Other Houses — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
White Haven was the name given to both the house and the estate. Typical of many large plantations, other houses on the property were built and occupied by family members and slaves. White residents gave their houses special names. The slaves, . . . — Map (db m124999) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — The Working Farm — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
White Haven was typical of large farms in the area during the mid-1800s. As times changed, so did its operation in terms of labor, equipment, and methods. Its two owners, Colonel Dent and Ulysses Grant, also had different interests and therefore . . . — Map (db m125000) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Tow Boat H.T. Pott — 1932
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
First all welded steel hull tow boat on the rivers. 58' long, 15' beam, 6' draft and 140 hp diesel. Operated out of Kansas City, MO. — Map (db m132914) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — TTOX #130059 — 1984
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This "Front Runner" piggyback car, designed to carry truck trailers, is unusual in a number of ways. It has only four wheels instead of the usual pair of two-axle trucks; its 28-inch diameter wheels are smaller than the 33-inch diameter wheels . . . — Map (db m132944) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — URTX #37144 — Union Refrigerator Transit Lines — 1948 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by General American Transportation Corporation, this car is a steel bodied reefer with ice bunkers at each end. These ice bunkers hold 10,400 lbs. of chunk ice or 11,500 lbs. of crushed ice. Ice stations were located every 100-150 miles along . . . — Map (db m132932) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — UTLX #14387 — Union Tank Line — 1910 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by the Union Tank Car Company, this 6500 gallon petroleum car is an early attempt to build a tank car without a full-length underframe. Short frames at each end attached the tank to the wheels and couplers. The tank itself was constructed of . . . — Map (db m132927) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — UTLX #3882 — Union Tank Line — 1936 —
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built by Union Tank Line, this triple dome tank car is typical of most built until the late 1960's. Each dome is the entry and fill point for a separate compartment which is emptied at the bottom. All three compartments were equipped with steam . . . — Map (db m132929) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — West Barretts Tunnel — 1851-53 & 1929
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The first railroad tunnels west of the Mississippi River are located at Barretts, MO, which is the name for the station where we are located. They were built between 1851-53 by the Pacific Railroad of Missouri, renamed the Missouri Pacific in 1876. . . . — Map (db m132976) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — What Does "Bi-Polar" Mean?
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
This electric locomotive uses a drive system that eliminates the gearing normally used between the motor and axle. It does this by making the axle part of the motor itself. The armature of the motor is mounted on the axle, and the motor's poles and . . . — Map (db m132942) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — What Is Standard Gauge?
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
The distance between the inner edges of the rails is called the gauge of a railroad. The standard gauge used in North America is 4' 8½." This is also the gauge in most of Europe, including Great Britain, the birthplace of railways. The . . . — Map (db m132922) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — White Haven — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
On Grant Road.
. . . — Map (db m125001) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — White Haven's Outbuildings — Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
Near Grant Road.
Operating this 850-acre farm required numerous outbuildings. These included a spring house built over the spring to provide a cool place for crocks of butter and cheese; a barn behind the main house for livestock such as cows, pigs, and sheep; and a . . . — Map (db m125002) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Who Is Owney The Dog?
Near Barrett Station Road east of Old Dougherty Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east.
Owney, the 'unofficial' mascot of the United State Postal Service, was the first dog to travel around the world. During the late 1800's Owney traveled with mail carriers first on mail trucks, then steamships. While traveling around the world, Owney . . . — Map (db m132896) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), St. Louis — Working Plantation / ~150 Years Ago - Emancipation
Near Grant Road 0.3 miles north of Gravois Road (U.S. 30), on the right when traveling north.
Working Plantation (left panel) White Haven was typical of slave plantations in the area during the mid-1800s. As times changed, so did the operation of the farm in terms of labor, equipment and methods. Prior to the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m122400) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — A.E. Hotchner — Born June 28, 1920
On Delmar Boulevard east of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Born in St. Louis, Aaron Edward Hotchner grew up in the Westgate Hotel at Delmar and Kingshighway, and attended Soldan High School. A 1941 Washington University Law School graduate, he served as a military journalist before becoming a successful . . . — Map (db m124663) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Agnes Moorehead — Born December 6, 1900
On Delmar Boulevard west of Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Agnes Moorehead moved to St. Louis as a child, where she acted in stage productions, danced with the Municipal Opera, and debuted as a radio singer on KMOX in 1923. After moving to New York and appearing on Broadway, she became a charter member of . . . — Map (db m124665) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Al Hirschfeld — Born June 21, 1903
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Albert Hirschfeld was born in a house on Kensington Avenue in St. Louis. His family moved to New York when he was 12, and by age 18 he was Artistic Director at Selznick Pictures. After the New York Times printed one of his theater sketches in 1927, . . . — Map (db m124748) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Albert King — Born April 25, 1923
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Born Albert Nelson, he was a farm laborer who became a premier blues guitarist. Self-taught, first on a one-string "Diddley-Bow" and then on a guitar he made from a cigar box, King played left-handed and upside down. In 1956 he moved to Lovejoy, . . . — Map (db m124688) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Archie Moore — Born December 13, 1913
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Born Archibald Lee Wright, Hall of Fame Boxer Archie Moore was raised in St. Louis. Moore began his professional career fighting locally in 1936, but his impressive record and imposing knockout style caused champions to avoid him. Moore finally got . . . — Map (db m124612) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Arthur Holly Compton — Born September 10, 1892
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Arthur Holly Compton, a science prodigy, built and flew a glider at age 18. In 1920 he became a professor and head of the Physics Department at Washington University. There he deduced that x-rays, known to be waves, also act like particles. He . . . — Map (db m124761) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Auguste Chouteau — Born September 7, 1749
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Born Renι Auguste Chouteau in New Orleans, he was raised by his stepfather, Pierre Laclθde, and his mother, Marie Therθse Chouteau. As Laclede's clerk and Lieutenant, the 14-year-old Chouteau led the workers who began building St. Louis on February . . . — Map (db m124691) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Barry Commoner — Born May 28, 1917
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Barry Commoner joined the faculty of Washington University in St. Louis in 1947. In 34 years there he explored viral function and led cellular research with implications for cancer diagnosis. Alarmed in the early 1950s by the health risks posed by . . . — Map (db m124698) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Betty Grable — Born December 18, 1916
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Betty Grable was born at 3858 Lafayette Avenue in St. Louis and moved to the Forest Park Hotel in 1920. She entered Clark's Dancing School at age 3 and attended Mary Institute. When only 12 she went to Hollywood and got her first film role the next . . . — Map (db m124695) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Bill Mauldin — Born October 29, 1921
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
William Henry Mauldin joined the Army newsletter Stars and Stripes as a cartoonist during World War II. There he perfected Joe and Willie, the muddy, weary "dogfaces" who portrayed the drabness of the foot soldier's life. Despised by the . . . — Map (db m124719) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Bob Costas — Born March 22, 1952
On Delmar Boulevard east of Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
At age 22, Bob Costas joined KMOX Radio in 1974 to announce St. Louis Spirits' basketball games. During his seven years at KMOX, he honed the skills which fueled his career's meteoric rise. His intelligence, humor and presence led to a longtime . . . — Map (db m124675) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Bob Gibson — Born November 9, 1935
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Robert Gibson, once a Harlem Globetrotter, pitched for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1959 until he retired in 1975. Known for his fastball, he struck out 3,117 batters. In his 1968 MVP season, Bob Gibson pitched 28 complete games and 13 shutouts . . . — Map (db m124693) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Branch Rickey — Born December 20, 1881
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Often called the greatest front-office strategist in baseball history, Branch Rickey came to the Cardinals in 1917 and turned a losing team into a powerhouse. Believing that "luck is the residue of design," he developed the modern farm system that . . . — Map (db m124532) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Buddy Ebsen — Born April 2, 1908
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right.
Buddy Ebsen gained worldwide fame in the 1960s as Jed Clampett, the central character on "The Beverly Hillbillies," one of the most popular series in television history. He was born Christian Ludolpf Ebsen Jr. in Belleville, Illinois, where his . . . — Map (db m124749) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Carl & Gerty Cori — Born December 5, 1896 and August 15, 1896
On Delmar Boulevard west of Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Carl Ferdinand Cori and Gerty Theresa Radnitz earned medical degrees from the German University of Prague in 1920 and married later that year. After that they joined the Washington University School of Medicine in 1931, their discovery of the . . . — Map (db m124775) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Charles A. Lindbergh — Born February 4, 1902
On Delmar Boulevard east of Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
One of the finest fliers of his time, Charles Lindbergh was the chief pilot for the first St. Louis to Chicago Airmail Route, in April 1926 while based at Lambert Field, he conceived of an airplane that could fly from New York to Paris, and . . . — Map (db m124771) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Charles Eames — Born June 17, 1907
On Delmar Boulevard east of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
A revolutionary designer, Charles Eames was born in St. Louis and studied architecture at Washington University. He settled in Venice, California when he designed some of the most innovative furniture of the most Post-War Modern period with his wife . . . — Map (db m124664) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Charles Guggenheim — Born March 31, 1924
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Documentary filmmaker Charles Guggenheim started his first production company in St. Louis in 1954. A four-time Oscar winner, he received his first of 12 Academy Award nominations in 1956 for "A City Decides," a film about the integration of St. . . . — Map (db m124627) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Charles M. Russell — Born March 19, 1864
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Charles Marion Russell's more than 3,000 paintings, drawings and sculptures captured the essence of the American West. Born in St. Louis, he grew up at Oak Hill, his family's country estate near present-day Tower Grove Park. Russell, who moved to . . . — Map (db m124684) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Chuck Berry — Born October 18, 1926
On Delmar Boulevard east of Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Hailed as "The Father of Rock & Roll," Chuck Berry's signature guitar work, poetic songwriting, and inspired showmanship have influenced every Rock & Roll musician to follow him. Beginning with "Maybellene" in 1955, he recorded a series of hits that . . . — Map (db m124673) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Chuck Berry
On Delmar Boulevard at Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Delmar Boulevard.
International Legend with Local Roots Charles Edward Anderson (Chuck) Berry was born October 18, 1926 to Henry and Martha Berry in St. Louis, Missouri. He first took to the stage in 1941 during a school program at Sumner High School where he . . . — Map (db m124774) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Clark Terry — Born December 14, 1920
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right.
Born in St. Louis, Clark Terry made his first trumpet out of garden hose, attended Vashon High School, and played in local clubs before joining a Navy Band during World War II. His years with County Basie and Duke Ellington in the late 1940s and . . . — Map (db m124516) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Cool Papa Bell — Born May 17, 1903
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Major League Baseball was closed to Blacks until 1947, relegating some of the game's best players to the Negro Leagues. One of them was James Thomas Bell, who joined the St. Louis Stars in 1922. Nicknamed Cool Papa for his composure, Bell played and . . . — Map (db m124717) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dan Dierdorf — Born June 29, 1949
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
One of the greatest offensive tackles of all time, Dan Dierdorf was an All-American at the University of Michigan before joining the St. Louis Cardinals in 1971. Dierdorf and his fellow linemen anchored the Cardiac Cardinals, and became one of the . . . — Map (db m124621) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dave Garroway — Born July 13, 1913
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Moving to St. Louis at age 14, David Garroway attended University City High School and Washington University. After training as a radio announcer while an NBC page in New York, he worked in Pittsburgh and then Chicago, where he returned after . . . — Map (db m124531) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — David Francis — Born October 1, 1850
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right.
David Rowland Francis came to St. Louis in 1866 and graduated from Washington University in 1870. A successful businessman, he was elected Mayor of St. Louis in 1885 and Governor of Missouri in 1888; he later served as Secretary of the Interior from . . . — Map (db m124546) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — David Merrick — Born November 27, 1911
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Born and raised in St. Louis, David Margulois graduated from Central High in 1930 and received a law degree from St. Louis University in 1937. With his sights on Broadway, he moved to New York in 1940 and changed his name to David Merrick. Building . . . — Map (db m125040) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — David Sanborn — Born July 30, 1945
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Saxophonist David Sanborn grew up in Kirkwood and began playing in St. Louis area clubs as a teen. He backed legends like Albert King, Little Milton and Gil Evans, then joined the Paul Butterfield Blues Band in 1967, later playing with them at . . . — Map (db m124708) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dick Gregory — Born October 12, 1932
On Delmar Boulevard west of Melville Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Born in St. Louis, Dick Gregory grew up at 1803 N. Taylor Ave. shining shoes to help feed his family. At Sumner High School, he led a march against conditions at segregated schools and set a state record in track. As a star comedian in the early . . . — Map (db m124777) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dick Weber — Born December 23, 1929
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right.
Among the greatest bowlers in history and a leading ambassador for the sport, Dick Weber became a St. Louisan in 1955 when he joined the legendary Budweiser Bowling Team. A charter member of the Professional Bowlers Association, Weber won Bowler of . . . — Map (db m124628) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dizzy Dean — Born January 16, 1910
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Known for his homespun wit and good-natured bravado, Jay Hanna "Dizzy" Dean was perhaps the most colorful member of the Cardinals' famed "Gas House Gang." With his blazing fastball he won 30 games in 1934, earning MVP Honors and leading the . . . — Map (db m124536) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dred & Harriet Scott — Dred Scott: Born Circa 1799 — Harriet Scott: Birth Date Unknown —
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Remembered for the infamous 1857 decision that denied them their freedom, Dred and Harriet Scott spent much of their adult lives enslaved in St. Louis. In the 1830s, Dred Scott's slave owner took him to the free State of Illinois and then to federal . . . — Map (db m124538) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Dwight Davis — Born July 5, 1879
On Delmar Boulevard west of Leland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
The founder of tennis' Davis Cup, Dwight Davis was born in St. Louis. He was one of his era's best players and won several titles while at Harvard. In 1900, he founded the international competition that came to bear his name and captained the first . . . — Map (db m124514) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Ed Macauley — Born March 22, 1928
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right.
A loyal native whose mother allowed him to choose any college that was "Catholic and in St. Louis," Ed Macauley led the Saint Louis University basketball team to the 1948 NIT National Championship and won AP Player of the year in 1949. Later a high . . . — Map (db m124569) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Elijah Lovejoy — Born November 9, 1802
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Elijah Parish Lovejoy, a Presbyterian minister and editor of the St. Louis Observer, believed that slavery was a sin. First calling for gradual emancipation, he later became an abolitionist, but in the volient climate of 1830s St. Louis, neither . . . — Map (db m124700) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Ernest Trova — Born February 19, 1927
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Ernest Tino Trova, a self-trained St. Louis native, became one of the significant artists of the late twentieth century. Best known for his signature image, The Falling Man, Trova considered his entire output a single "work in progress." A collector . . . — Map (db m124763) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Eugene Field — Born September 2, 1850
On Delmar Boulevard east of Westgate Avenue when traveling west.
Eugene Field, born at 634 South Broadway in St. Louis, became a reporter for the St. Louis Evening Journal in 1873. Over the next decade he developed the charming and witty style that would make him America's foremost columnist. The Chicago Morning . . . — Map (db m124755) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Evarts Graham — Born March 19, 1883
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
One of the 20th century's most prominent surgeons, Evarts A. Graham chaired the Department of Surgery at Washington University from 1919 to 1951. Under his direction, it became a world leader in surgical procedures and training. Graham performed the . . . — Map (db m124751) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — Fontella Bass — Born July 3, 1940
On Delmar Boulevard east of Kingsland Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Fontella Bass, daughter of Gospel great Martha Bass, was born and raised in St. Louis. She played piano and sang with R&B stars Little Milton and Oliver Sain, and launched her solo career in 1965 with the electrifying "Rescue Me," a #1 R&B and #4 . . . — Map (db m125035) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), University City — From Humble Beginnings, a World Class Street Is Born! — Loop Trolley — City Limit Westbound —
On Delmar Boulevard west of Limit Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
With the introduction of streetcars at the turn of the 20th Century, outlying areas of the City of St. Louis drew the attention of investors and developers plotting out the prairie land. In this picture, you can see the original Delmar streetcar . . . — Map (db m133106) HM

284 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 84
Paid Advertisement