Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Deuel County Nebraska Historical Markers

 
Big Springs and The Great Platte River Road Markers image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, July 7, 2013
Big Springs and The Great Platte River Road Markers
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 114 — Big Springs
     The history of Big Springs, northeast of here, has been closely associated with the Union Pacific Railroad since 1867, when a station was established at that point. A nearby spring, from which the station derived its name, provided an . . . — Map (db m68069) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 382 — Phelps Hotel
The Phelps Hotel was built in 1885 by the Edwin A. Phelps family, who were among the first settlers in the Big Springs area. Also known as the “House of Three Chimneys,” the hotel was the most important nineteenth-century landmark in . . . — Map (db m51249) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 37 — Sam Bass and the Big Springs Robbery
The first and greatest robbery of a Union Pacific train took place near here on the night of September 18, 1877. The legendary Sam Bass and five companions, after capturing John Barnhart, station-master, and destroying the telegraph, forced Union . . . — Map (db m51231) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — South Platte Station
[Pony Express medallion on top] 1860-61 South Platte Station 1.5 mi. directly south Erected to the intrepid riders and operators 1932 by Deuel Co. — Map (db m51252) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — The Big Spring
Pioneers traveling west on the Oregon Trail discovered this spring that Plains Indians had frequented for centuries. It provided an oasis for man and beast alike in the “Great American Desert.’ In 1867, Union Pacific railroad workers named it . . . — Map (db m51461) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 113 — The Great Platte River Road
     Since 1841, Nebraska's Platte River Valley has been the historic highway of westward migration. In this area, the Overland Trail divided into two branches, one which followed the north and the other the south forks of the river. Emigrants . . . — Map (db m68070) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — The Lone Tree
A replica of [the] cottonwood tree known as the Lone Tree Station ½ mile from this point. 18 feet in diameter over 100 years old. Said to be the largest from Omaha to Denver.

Landmark for Pony Express, Org. and Calif. Trails, Emigrants . . . — Map (db m51250) HM

Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — The Pony Express
[Map of the Pony Express route] From April 1860 until October 1861 the famed Pony Express riders passed along the south side of the Plate River south of Big Springs. Diamond Springs station was to the southeast. Frontz and Julesburg stations were . . . — Map (db m51247) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Big Springs — 383 — Waterman Sod House
The Wallace W. and Libby King Waterman sod house, located nine miles north of here on the Day Road, was built about 1886. The original dwelling had three rooms. In 1925 it was enlarged and remodeled by Virgil and Helen Burke Waterman, and the sod . . . — Map (db m51246) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — B-24J Bomber Crash
During World War II Nebraska was home to eleven air bases, which filled the sky with planes engaged in training aircrews. On June 7, 1944, fifteen B-24 bombers departed from the Lincoln Army Air Base en route to the west coast. During a thunderstorm . . . — Map (db m100094) HM WM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — Historic Lodgepole Creek Valley
Here is the valley of Lodgepole Creek through which passed historic trails, telegraph lines, and railroads. The famed Pony Express followed the valley in 1860-61. "Nine Mile" Pony Express station was located just southeast of present Chappell; "Pole . . . — Map (db m100093) HM
Nebraska (Deuel County), Chappell — 9 — Hughes’ Ranch Pony Express StationIn Search of the Pony Express Stations
This marker has text on both sides Dedicated October 4, 2003 Hughes’ Ranch Added Station July 1, 1861 - Nov. 20. 1861 by Deuel County Historical Society James Stretesky Sterling Monument Company Pony . . . — Map (db m79441) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement