Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hitchcock County Nebraska Historical Markers

 
Culbertson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, August 21, 2014
Culbertson Marker
Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Culbertson — 95 — CulbertsonFirst Hitchcock County Seat
Culbertson was the county seat of Hitchcock for twenty years, and this marks the site of the first court house, used 1886-1893. Founded as a trading post in July 1873 by W.Z. Taylor, it became the county seat when Hitchcock County was organized . . . — Map (db m79363) HM
Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Stratton — 352 — The Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express
In the spring of 1859, William H. Russell and John S. Jones established The Leavenworth and Pike’s Peak Express to carry passengers and freight from the Missouri River to the Colorado gold fields. The route crossed northern Kansas, detouring . . . — Map (db m79359) HM
Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Trenton — 8 — Massacre Canyon
The adjacent stone monument erected in 1930 was first placed about a mile south of this area. Originally on the highway overlooking the canyon, it was moved to this location after the highway was relocated.

Massacre Canyon is the large canyon . . . — Map (db m79361) HM

Nebraska (Hitchcock County), Trenton — Old Texas Ogallala Trail1869 - 1885
In memory of the cattlemen who drove their herds from Texas to Ogallala Nebr and the northern ranges. — Map (db m79360) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement