Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Nebraska Historical Markers

 
The cemetery sits alone, surrounded by farm fields. image, Touch for more information
By Michael James, May 18, 2008
The cemetery sits alone, surrounded by farm fields.
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 420 — Brewster Cemetery
Founded in 1870 by Israel Swihart, the cemetery was named for his wife, Mary Brewster Swihart. Those buried here include three civil war veterans, and several children who succumbed to the harsh conditions of life on the Great Plains. The cemetery . . . — Map (db m7817) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 177 — Congregational Church of Blair
Religous institutions have played an important role in the history of Nebraska. During the frontier period, churches fulfilled both the spiritual and social needs of the early inhabitants. The Congregational Church was one of Nebraska's pioneer . . . — Map (db m7841) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 217 — Cuming City Cemetery and Nature Preserve
Traditionally known as the Cuming City Cemetery, this eleven-acre tract of land was set aside in 1976 primarily as a preserve for native vegetation. Never plowed, this prairie looks much like it did to the Indians and to the first white men who . . . — Map (db m7793) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 119 — DeSoto Townsite
The town of DeSoto was platted on this site in 1854 and incorporated in 1855. Steamboating on the Missouri was then in its heyday. DeSoto provided a landing for passengers and goods. A number of boats sank nearby, notably the Cora and . . . — Map (db m7837) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — Lewis and Clark Campsite Area
Three plaques are on this marker. Top, left plaque First Naturalists of the American West The Lewis and Clark Expedition was more than a geographic expedition. Lewis; and Clark became the first scientists to document the natural . . . — Map (db m76887) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 342 — Lewis and Clark CampsitesAugust 3 and 4, 1804
On August 3 Lewis and Clark held a council with the Oto and Missouria Indians at a site they named "Council Bluff," near present Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. It was the first of many councils they would hold on their journey to the Pacific Ocean. . . . — Map (db m7794) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — 137 — Steamboat Bertrand
During the mid-nineteenth century, steamboats played a major role in the settlement and development of the nation. In March 1865 the fully laden sternwheeler Bertrand left St. Louis under command of Captain James Yore. The cargo of general . . . — Map (db m74161) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — The Lewis and Clark Expedition
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this “Corps of Discovery” to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly . . . — Map (db m76886) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Blair — Up the Missouri
During the summer of 1804, the river below looked very different. Unlike today’s course controlled by dams and dikes, the Missouri River that Lewis and Clark knew flowed wild and erratic. Strong currents, floating branches, embedded logs, submerged . . . — Map (db m76885) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 117 — Fort Atkinson
From 1820 to 1827, the nation's largest and most westerly military post occupied this site, the earlier scene of Lewis and Clark's Council Bluff. In late 1819, troops under Colonel Henry Atkinson established Cantonment Missouri along the river near . . . — Map (db m7769) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 2 — Fort Atkinson
Civilization came to the west bank of the Missouri with establishment of Fort Atkinson in 1820 about a half mile southeast of here. Named after its founder, General Henry Atkinson, this western-most Fort protected the frontier's developing commerce. . . . — Map (db m7890) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 341 — Lewis and Clark CampsiteJuly 30 - August 2, 1804
On July 30 the explorers arrived at the bluff where Fort Atkinson would be built less than two decades later. Clark wrote, "The Situation of this place which we Call Council Bluff which is handsom ellevated a Spot well Calculated... for a . . . — Map (db m7887) HM
Nebraska (Washington County), Fort Calhoun — 457 — The Death of Marshal Suverkrubbe
About 3 a.m. on December 5, 1932, Fort Calhoun marshal Albert Suverkrubbe was shot while trying to apprehend two men fleeing Kruse's Red and White Grocery at 106 S. Fourteenth Street. Suverkrubbe died from his wounds nine days later, leaving his . . . — Map (db m7767) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement