Today a trip to town takes minutes.
For homesteaders, traveling the bumpy 15 miles to Conway by wagon took 3 hours, on a good day.
Trips to the store would not have been casual affairs, but a chance to stock up on supplies.
50 lb. sacks . . . — — Map (db m116172) HM
Builder Amzi Russell who lived at what is now the Russell-Colbath homestead, was an industrious and versatile nearby builder.
His crew of three to thirty local hands were not engineers. But they were extremely skilled craftsmen . . . — — Map (db m116180) HM
This rustic cottage was once the home of Thomas Murphy and his wife, Lady Blanche, daughter of the Earl of Gainsborough. Thomas was the organist at the church on the Earl's estate. The commoner and the lady eloped to America, where Thomas taught at . . . — — Map (db m77640) HM
Author of Abenaki & English Dialogues Born 1839 —— Died 1917 St. Francis Indian Reserve, Odanak, Quebec In 1884 he led back to the land of their fathers a group of Abenaki and Sokoki Indians and established here in the woods of . . . — — Map (db m78682) HM
This scenic highway through the White Mountain National Forest was constructed through the combined efforts of the New Hampshire Department of Public Works and Highways, the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads, and . . . — — Map (db m102137) HM
Since Thomas Cole's visit in 1828, New Hampshire's splendid scenery has been an enduring inspiration to countless landscape artists. From 1850 to 1890 this region was particularly favored for their easels. Benjamin Champney (1817-1907), New . . . — — Map (db m74557) HM
The high steel trestle above was built in 1893 to replace a wrought iron trestle of 1875, and was strengthened in 1930 and 1950. Named for American Artist Godfrey N. Frankenstein (1820-1873), the adjacent cliff and gulf were formidable barriers to . . . — — Map (db m77698) HM
In 1771, Timothy Lash of Lancaster and Benjamin Sawyer of Conway made a bargain with Governor John Wentworth to bring a horse through Crawford Notch in order to prove the route’s commercial value. The pair succeeded by dragging and lowering the . . . — — Map (db m75235) HM
Nearby is the birthplace of the Granville brothers Zantford (Granny), Thomas, Robert, Mark and Edward and sisters Pearle and Gladys. With Madison natives Hiram Jones, Harry Jones, and Elson Ward, they formed the Granville Brothers Aircraft Co. in . . . — — Map (db m77922) HM
This BALL SIGNAL was once located at WAUMBEK JUNCTION, a crossing of the Maine Central R.R. and Boston & Maine R.R. in the Town of Jefferson, New Hampshire. The signal was operated by a member of the train crew. One ball raised to the masthead . . . — — Map (db m78692) HM
This caboose, one of 500 similar units that once served on the Boston & Maine Railroad, was built by the B&M at their shops in East Fitchburg, Mass. in 1907. Many were later rebuilt with steel underframes, steel trucks, and full-width cupola. This . . . — — Map (db m78324) HM
This caboose was built in the year 1910 at the Central Vermont Railway shops in St. Albans, Vermont. It later was modified with a steel underframe about 1925. Most of its 60 years of service were spent in southern New England on the Central . . . — — Map (db m79065) HM
This 23 ton caboose is owned by John Egan of Largo, FL and formerly of Gorham, NH. The car was built about 1915 by Central Vermont Railway in their shops at St. Albans, VT. About 1930 it was transferred to the affiliated Grand Trunk Railway. John . . . — — Map (db m78684) HM
Crossing Gates of this sort once protected busy road crossings throughout the United States. They were usually operated by a full time crossing tender, a man or woman that worked out of a small "crossing shanty" that offered some protection from the . . . — — Map (db m78362) HM
This unusual car has two air-operated flanger blades that drop down to remove snow from between the rails. The car is 34 feet long and weighs over 20 tons. The 4233 was built by the Erie Car Works of Erie, Pa. in 1891 for the Central Vermont . . . — — Map (db m78337) HM
This freight house was built about 1872 by the Portsmouth, Great Falls & Conway Railroad. This building became the commercial center of the growing village of North Conway, as box car loads of supplies for the local merchants and farmers were . . . — — Map (db m78344) HM
In 1914 the Pullman Company built this all steel car as a 87 seat coach-smoker for the Maine Central Railroad. It started out as Maine Central No. 252, and was later renumbered 209 with seating capacity reduced to 73, with 11 seats in the smoking . . . — — Map (db m78343) HM
Built Ca. 1874 by the Portsmouth, Great Falls, and Conway Railroad. For well over a century this sturdy old building, with its four stalls, has served as a shelter where locomotives can be repaired, serviced and stored. Over the years stalls have . . . — — Map (db m78338) HM
By vote of the Conway town meeting of 1924 the $3,000 bequest of Dr. James Schouler was used to buy this land from the Boston and Maine Railroad. It was deeded to the town on express condition that it be used only for a public park, and named . . . — — Map (db m78325) HM
In 1872 the tracks of the Portsmouth, Great Falls & Conway Railroad were completed to North Conway, and in 1874 the railroad built this magnificent building to serve as their depot and offices. Nathaniel J. Bradlee, a well-known Boston architect, . . . — — Map (db m78859) HM
This device, erected in 1978, is used to fill a steam locomotive's tender tank with fresh water. The coal fire in a steam locomotive heats tremendous amounts of water to produce the steam that powers the train. The tender tank in Conway Scenic . . . — — Map (db m79066) HM
An approaching train sets this signal in motion, with the red disc swinging back and forth, the red lights flashing in sequence and the ringing of the warning bell. This obsolete machine, one of many similar ones that once guarded rural highways in . . . — — Map (db m78361) HM
First Summer Playhouse Nearby stands "The Barnstormers" summer playhouse, the oldest in New Hampshire and one of the first in the nation. Opened in 1931, at one time the cast covered a weekly 80-mile circuit. Currently its performances are . . . — — Map (db m97057) HM
Purchased and moved to this site in 1930 by Milton and Eva B. "Short" Seeley, these kennels produced sled dogs for exploration, racing, and showing. For almost 50 years Chinook Kennels exerted a profound influence upon the Alaskan Malamute and . . . — — Map (db m95817) HM