The Central Railroad of New Jersey built this long complex of 30 sheds in 1904 to process oysters that were harvested from the Delaware Bay. Originally, oysters were shipped in their shells via the railroad. Shucking, or removing oysters from their . . . — — Map (db m64333) HM
According to Megan Wren, director of the Bayshore Discovery Center, “Bivalve is a gritty, working waterfront (town) that a casual visitor might call ‘lost in time’. Someone who knows the place a little better would probably use words like . . . — — Map (db m64381) HM
The Maurice River watershed (pronounced Morris) is an area of 386 square miles that includes part of the Pinelands National Reserve, other pine, cedar and maple woodlands and agricultural lands, as well as, urban and suburban properties. The river . . . — — Map (db m64497) HM
The Maurice River and its tributaries to the Delaware Bay have played a significant role in Southern New Jersey’s cultural landscape and shaped its diverse people—generation after generation.
Its resources, particularly fish and shellfish, . . . — — Map (db m64337) HM
1. Oystermen harvested oysters from the Maurice River Cove by a dredge or tongs.
2. Oysters were off-loaded from schooners into floats along the banks of the Maurice River where they were left to fatten and to remove impurities.
3. Oysters . . . — — Map (db m64392) HM
5. Oysters were counted into bushel baskets.
6. Bushels were consolidated into sacks or barrels.
7. Sacks or barrels were wheeled on hand trucks through the alley way and were loaded into the awaiting boxcars.
Shucking The practice of . . . — — Map (db m64393) HM
The Schooner AJ MEERWALD is on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places and is representative of an important vessel type, the “new style” Jersey oyster schooner. The “old style” schooner had a clipper bow . . . — — Map (db m64340) HM
Site of Baptist Log Meeting House and Burial Ground settled by The Bowen Company and their leader Rev. Timothy Brooks. United with Cohansey Baptist Church in 1710. Seventh Day Baptists in this company established the Shiloh Church 1737. — — Map (db m92322) HM
The New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route is a “park in the making”—an idea becoming a reality. Many of its sites are available for you to visit. When complete, the Trail will link numerous natural and cultural landmarks into a . . . — — Map (db m64491) HM
Old Broad Street Presbyterian Church was constructed in the meeting house form, rectangular in plan, with the pulpit placed on the north gable end wall and a U-shaped balcony on the other sides. The north elevation, facing Broad Street, is the . . . — — Map (db m64508) HM
In honor of the Patriots of Cumberland Co., NJ who—on the evening of December 22, 1774—burned British tea near this site.
List of Patriots on Marker:
Timothy Elmer . . . — — Map (db m17692) HM
In the winter of 1774, the American colonies were struggling to define their future relationship with Great Britain. The British tax on tea had sparked the 1773 Boston Tea Party. The harsh response, to close the port of Boston, lead to the First . . . — — Map (db m17730) HM
Endowed as free school for poor children by Zachariah Barrow. Oldest educational building in Cumberland Co., it served until the advent of public supported learning. Militia trained here-1812. — — Map (db m92313) HM
Greenwich was the principal colonial settlement of Cumberland County, serving as one of New Jersey’s first official ports-of-entry under British rule. While other early settlers, primarily Dutch and Swedish, were the first Europeans to explore this . . . — — Map (db m92316) HM
The East Point Lighthouse guards the eastern shore of the Maurice River Cove. This lone sentinel once provided hundreds of Delaware Bay oyster schooners with a guiding light to the ports at Port Norris and Port Elizabeth. Constructed in 1849, it . . . — — Map (db m68280) HM
Primary seacoast lights were located to warn mariners of their proximity to land, the presence of navigational dangers, and to help set their course. By 1852, however, lighthouses and lightships often looked so much alike that it was difficult to . . . — — Map (db m68281) HM
The East Point Lighthouse was built in 1849 to guide boatmen into the mouth of the Maurice River, about one half mile to the north. The lantern sits atop the two story brick building, 48 feet above sea level, and is visible for about 7 . . . — — Map (db m68285) HM
Congress passed the National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in 1968 to protect selected free-flowing rivers with outstanding natural, cultural and recreational values. The Act promotes conservation and good stewardship of these streams and their . . . — — Map (db m64430) HM
The Millville Army Air Field Museum’ Skyhawk was assigned to Attack Squadron 192 (VA-192) aboard the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CVA-34) on April 2, 1968 to commence its first Vietnam War combat tour. From May 19 to June 27, 1971 VA-192 operated . . . — — Map (db m64472) HM WM
Almost unnoticed, the earth’s living wealth is slipping away. As the human population expands and intensifies the use of the land, species of all kinds are disappearing. Each time we lose a species to extinction, we not only lose its aesthetic . . . — — Map (db m64464) HM