Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Somerset County New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Basking Ridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
Basking Ridge Marker
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — “George” 2001
On Morristown Road (U.S. 202) 0.2 miles north of N Maple Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Did General George Washington sleep here? Maybe. We do know, history says our “Grain Room” stored grain for his troops during the winter of 1778. Artist: Adrienne Crombie, Frenchtown, N.J. Millstone 18th CenturyOne of the two stones used . . . — Map (db m32680) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Basking Ridge
On N Finley Avenue (County Route 613), on the right when traveling south.
First settled by James Pitney and others about 1720. General Charles Lee was captured at the Tavern by the British, December 13, 1776. — Map (db m8514) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Basking Ridge
On N Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
A log Hospital for Continental Army soldiers was located on the slope of this ravine. A frame Presbyterian Church stood at the top of the hill near the famous oak and burial ground. — Map (db m8526) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church Graveyard
On East Oak Street, on the right when traveling west.
In memory of the Revolutionary War soldiers buried in the graveyard of the Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church Alward, Benjamin • Ayres, John • Ayres, Nathaniel • Baird, John • Bockoven, George • Boylan, John • Brees, John Jr. • . . . — Map (db m21970) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township 9-11 MemorialSeptember 11, 2001
On Conkling Street, on the right when traveling south.
We shall never forget our friends and neighbors who rode the rails with us that morning but did not return with us that night. May this tree serve as a living memorial to the following community members who died in the tragic attack on the . . . — Map (db m22510) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township Veterans Monument
On Collyer Lane near South Finley Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
A tribute to the armed forces personnel from Bernards Township who have served our country. Dedicated with deep appreciation, we honor their great courage in the defense of freedom throughout the world. Korea 1950-1955 Vietnam . . . — Map (db m36866) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township War Memorial
On Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
In Honor of All Who Served Our Country — Map (db m18232) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Bernards Township War Memorial1917 - 1918           1941 - 1945
On S Finley Avenue at Oak Street, on the left when traveling north on S Finley Avenue.
Dedicated in grateful appreciation to the men and women of Bernards Township who served in the armed forces during World War I and World War II that Peace, Freedom and Justice might not perish from the Earth. — Map (db m39974) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — 43 — Early ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On S Maple Avenue at E Oak Street, on the right when traveling north on S Maple Avenue.
A pioneer log church was built under the ancient oak before 1731. A frame church replaced it in 1749. Present structure, 1839. — Map (db m122280) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead
On King George Road, on the right when traveling north.
The Rev. Samuel Kennedy established a classical school here in 1764. Col. Ephraim Martin lived here during the Revolutionary War. The Stelle family and their descendants resided here 1794 - 1940. — Map (db m20159) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead
Near King George Road, on the right when traveling north.
Period of significance - c. 1762-1852 Listed New Jersey Register of Historic Places - 2003 Listed National Register of Historic Places - 2004 The farmstead is historically associated with the Rev. Samuel Kennedy, a renowned local minister . . . — Map (db m32986) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Kennedy-Martin-Stelle FarmsteadCirca 1760
Near King George Road (County Route 651).
Lying along the Passaic River, the farmstead was first developed early in the second half of the 18th century. At one time, the property encompassed 340 acres with 14 structures including a Dutch framed farmhouse, wagon house, and large English . . . — Map (db m99125) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Lord Stirling Estate
On S Maple Avenue at Lord Stirling Road, on the left when traveling south on S Maple Avenue.
This parkland includes part of Stirling’s 1762 estate. Stirling (1726-83), a friend of George Washington, was a Revolutionary War Major General. — Map (db m8530) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Lord Stirling ManorBrick Outbuildings
Near Lord Stirling Road, on the right when traveling west.
This property is the site of Lord Stirling Manor, built by William Alexander "Lord Stirling" in 1763 where he lived until 1779. The original residence was razed by fire in 1920 and a new residence was built on part of the remaining foundation where . . . — Map (db m40353) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Madisonville
On N Maple Avenue at Madisonville Road, on the right when traveling south on N Maple Avenue.
An early 1700s hamlet, home of Coffee House Tavern a sawmill and a nub and spoke factory. — Map (db m8907) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Site of Widow White’s Tavern
On South Finley Avenue at Colonial Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Finley Avenue.
Here on December 13, 1776, Major General Charles Lee, second in command to General Washington in the Continental Army, was taken prisoner by a British Patrol. — Map (db m8511) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Somerset Hills Airport
On Lord Stirling Road, on the right when traveling east.
Site of the Somerset Hills Airport in operation from 1932 - 1981. An important airmail destination during aviation's pioneer days, it also was a U.S. Army Air Force flight instruction facility from 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m36367) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Southard Park
Near North Maple Avenue.
Henry Southard 1767-1842 Settled in Basking Ridge, 1755. Justice of the Peace, Assemblyman, U.S. Representative Samuel L. Southard 1787-1842 Son of Henry, Born in Basking Ridge, Tenth Governor of New Jersey, . . . — Map (db m21971) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — The Brick Academy
On Oak Street, on the right when traveling west.
This building was erected in 1809 by Rev. Robert Finley to house a classical school founded by him in 1797. Statesmen, professional men, and business leaders were among its graduates. The academy served as a public school from 1853 to 1903. Owned by . . . — Map (db m18305) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On N Maple Avenue at Madisonville Road, on the right when traveling north on N Maple Avenue.
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8902) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Basking Ridge — William ChildsTo The Memory of — 1865 - 1938 —
On Childs Road, on the right when traveling north.
Who has enriched and beautified our community by the restoration of historic sites and buildings. This tablet is erected in grateful appreciation by the Basking Ridge Historical Society. — Map (db m19596) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — African Burying Ground1801
On Hillside Avenue at Steeple Chase Court, on the right when traveling north on Hillside Avenue.
On June 22, 1801, three African American Men - one free Negro and two slaves - purchased one tenth on an acre of land from Aaron Melick for the sum of three dollars to establish a burying ground for the "Black people of the Neighborhood." This is . . . — Map (db m96788) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Artillery Park
On Stone Run Road.
Site of the 1778 - 1779 Winter encampment during the Revolutionary War of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Continental Artillery, artificers and armourers under the command of General Henry Knox.

Located and confirmed by the Pluckemin Archaeological Project. . . . — Map (db m82405) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Bedminster War Memorials
On Main Street (New Jersey Route 202) near Elm Street, on the right when traveling north.
(See Markers Below) — Map (db m90138) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Great War Heroes.
On Cowperthwaite Road, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of our great war heroes. — Map (db m100847) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Lamington Black Cemetery19th Century Burial Grounds on the National Register of Historical Places
On Cowperthwaite Road, on the right when traveling south.
There are 97 identified graves here: 36 with names and 61 unknown, including former slaves and free blacks who were members of the Lamington Presbyterian Church. Remains of 5 Civil War veterans who fought heroically for the Union lie here. As you . . . — Map (db m16975) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Pluckemin School House1912
On Burnt Mills Road (County Route 620) 0.2 miles west of U.S. Route 206 (U.S. 206), on the right when traveling west.
The Pluckemin School house was constructed in 1912 as a two-story four-room school. It cost approximately $5,000 and was designed by Peter C. Van Nuys of Somerville and was built by John Gulick of Lamington. it was used as a school house until 1958 . . . — Map (db m117652) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — Presbyterian Church of Lamington
On Lamington Road, on the right when traveling west.
Built About 1740. Rebuilt 1826. Front Added 1854. — Map (db m19599) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — The Jacobus Vanderveer House
On U.S. 202/206, on the right when traveling south.
Pre-Revolutionary Dutch Farmhouse Built c. 1760. Headquarters of General Henry Knox During The 1778-1779 Winter Encampment Of The Continental Army Near Pluckemin — Map (db m16983) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster — The Jacobus Vanderveer House
Near Business U.S. 202/206, on the right when traveling south.
was constructed circa 1772 with a nineteenth century addition circa 1813. In 1995 the house was listed on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places. The Jacobus Vanderveer House is significant in United States Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m98523) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bedminster Township — Melick Home
On Old Dutch Road East.
Built in 1751 by Johannes Moelick, a German farmer and tanner. Made famous by Andrew D. Mellick's "Story of an Old Farm". — Map (db m76431) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Benardsville — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On Morristown Road (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling west.
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8901) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernards Township — Frederick W. Schmidt
On Pond Hill Road, on the right when traveling south.
This monument has been placed here in memory of Frederick W. Schmidt 1865-1926 By the trustees of his estate Mr. Schmidt owned and operated the nearby Millington Quarry which opened in 1895. He later organized the North Jersey Quarry Company . . . — Map (db m47292) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — A Revolutionary WinterMorristown National Historical Park
Near Jockey Hollow Road, on the left when traveling south.
Morristown National Historical Park commemorates the suffering and devotion of Washington’s army during the severest winter of the Revolution when these woods gave shelter, fuel, and water – but precious little else. That winter of bitter . . . — Map (db m11896) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — A Warm FireMorristown National Historical Park
Near Jockey Hollow Road, on the left when traveling south.
In 1779 soldiers of the New Jersey Brigade built this hearth. Archeologists stabilized it and removed the other artifacts found here for protection. The hearth provided the hut’s only comfort: a warm fire. Food ran out. Many men had no shoes and . . . — Map (db m11899) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — Bernardsville War Memorials
On New Jersey Route 202, on the right when traveling north.
Top Plaque 1917 - 1919 Erected in memory of the Boys of Bernrads Township who gave their lives in the World War. James Kilday • Arthur A. Card • Russull W. Mullen • Robert E. Pope • William Neill • Francis Bergen • Paul . . . — Map (db m19598) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bernardsville — New Jersey 7th Brigade
On Hardscrabble Road, on the right when traveling north.
Blizzards, extreme cold, lack of food and medical care -- All endured by the New Jersey Brigade in the winter of 1779-80 while it camped here and watched British movements in New York. — Map (db m16608) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Blackwells Mills — Blackwells Mills Canal House
On Canal Road.
Historic Blackwells Mills Canal House circa 1835. Home to generations of Bridge Tenders who opened and closed the swinging bridge for canal traffic. — Map (db m94091) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Blawenberg — BlawenburgLocal Historic District
On Blawenberg - Belle Mead Road, on the right when traveling south.
State & National Registers of Historic Places A 19th century Turnpike Village originally settled, circa 1739 by John Blaw & Michael Blaw, the mill owner. — Map (db m32936) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Battle of Bound BrookOpening Phase: 5:00 – 6:30 am   April 13, 1777
On Railroad Avenue east of S Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Hessian Jaeger Captain Johann Von Ewald wrote the following account of the action on April 13, 1777. “At daybreak I came upon an empty picket on this side of the stone causeway which led to Bound Brook through a marsh along the Raritan . . . — Map (db m32282) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Battle of Boundbrook
On E High Street, on the left when traveling south.
[Front of monument]: This stone marks the site of the Battle of Boundbrook, fought April 13, 1777, between 500 American soldiers under Gen. Benjamin Lincoln and 4,000 British troops under Lord Cornwallis. [Back of . . . — Map (db m7758) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Bound Brook Library World War I Memorial
On East High Street at Hamilton Street on East High Street.
That empires might fall and that peoples every where might be free, these men and women jeoparded their lives unto the death in the World War 1914 - 1918. — Map (db m76982) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Bound Brook World War I Memorial
On E High Street, on the left when traveling south.
Dedicated to the memory of our fallen comrades of the World War. Giles – Biondi Post #63 — Map (db m39973) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — MiddlebrookEnigma of the British Army
On Middlebrook Road, on the left when traveling east.
During the 1777 encampment, Washington’s heavily entrenched stronghold defied the massed British Army of 18,000 under Howe and prevented the British movement against Philadelphia by land (June 14 to 30). This delay caused Howe to move by sea, with . . . — Map (db m7761) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Old Stone Bridge
On Railroad Avenue east of S Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Originally planned in 1683 but not constructed until about 1731, this triple arch stone bridge is believed to be one of the oldest examples of its type still existing in New Jersey. Perhaps it is the oldest. The bridge marks the boundary between . . . — Map (db m32283) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — The Council Oak
On East Maple Avenue.
This white oak, one of the oldest in N.J., was already about 80 feet tall on May 4, 1681, when two Lenni-Lenape indian chiefs sold the 5000 acres on which Bound Brook now stands to New Jersey governor Phillip Carteret and seven other men. The tree . . . — Map (db m76447) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — The Frelinghuysen Tavern
On East Main Street east of Mountain Avenue.
This tablet marks the site of The Frelinghuysen Tavern. Here Hendrick Harpending, a shoemaker from Holland, built his home circa 1720, which later became a tavern, owned by his son, Peter. Soon after the adoption of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m523) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — The Presbyterian Church at Bound Brook1896 - 2013
On East Union Avenue at Mountain Avenue on East Union Avenue.
Founded in 1688 and the oldest congregation in Somerset County, this fifth sanctuary was designed by Oscar S. Teale in 1896 and dedicated in 1898. Unique features of this medieval revival style building include a semi-circular floor plan, . . . — Map (db m76448) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Thirteen Star Flag
On Middlebrook Road, on the left when traveling east. Reported missing.
By special Act of Congress, the Betsy Ross flag is flown here 24 hours each day. This is to commemorate Washington’s Army having encamped in this area June 14, 1777, the day Congress adopted the Flag Resolution. The period of encampment extended . . . — Map (db m7759) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Van Horn Plaza
On E Main Street at Hamilton Street, on the right when traveling east on E Main Street.
Dedicated to Colonel James H. Van Horn 1881 – 1974 For his efforts to preserve the trees, plantings, and beauty at this plaza and throughout the Borough of Bound Brook. Bound Brook Mayor Council Bound Brook Shade Tree Commission Bound . . . — Map (db m82357) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — War Memorial
On Vosseller Avenue at West 2nd Street on Vosseller Avenue.
In grateful memory to these and those unknown who have died so that we may live. — Map (db m76571) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bound Brook — Washington Camp Ground
On Middlebrook Road at Cedarcrest Road, on the left when traveling north on Middlebrook Road. Reported missing.
Dedicated a historic site in 1889 by citizens of the community to memorialize the encampment of Washington’s Army in 1777 and from Nov. 1778 to June 1779. The Middlebrook encampment in New Jersey entered the National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m7762) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Branchburg — Bodine - Carkhuff HouseA Dutch - American Farmhouse
On Case Road just west of Acorn Lane, on the right when traveling west.
Historical Background The site of the Bodine - Carkhuff House forms part of property acquired by Isaac Bodine in the early 1700s. Church records establish that Bodine, who was of French Huguenot descent, resided in the neighborhood by 1723, . . . — Map (db m99214) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Branchburg — Branchburg Veterans Memorial
On Old York Road near New Jersey Route 202, on the right when traveling north.
Main Marker: In Honor and Memory of all the Men and Women of Branchburg who proudly served our country in the armed forces of the United States of America. In recognition of the Branchburg Veterans Memorial Committee. Dedicated . . . — Map (db m16993) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Branchburg — South Branch School
On South Branch Road at Studdiford Drive, on the left when traveling north on South Branch Road.
Erected 1874 Restored by Branchburg Township Tercentenary Comm. J. Fred Baer, Chairman 1964 — Map (db m16992) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Brenardsville — Bernardsville Fire Company
On New Jersey Route 202, on the right when traveling north.
To the glory of God and in memory of the departed members of the Bernardsville Fire Company. — Map (db m19597) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — 1777 Encampment
On Chimney Rock Road at Gilbride Road, on the right when traveling north on Chimney Rock Road.
The Continental Army camped here from May 28 to July 2, 1777. Advance units were on the slopes facing the Raritan Valley. — Map (db m21852) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Bridgewater Township Historic Monument
On Commons Way, on the right when traveling north.
[Plaque #1] Early History The Lenni Lenape Indians settled along the Raritan River, utilizing the river for food and transportation, while cultivating the flood plains by planting corn and a variety of other crops. Heavy barges . . . — Map (db m49974) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Derrick Van Veghten HouseCirca 1725
On Van Veghten Drive 0.3 miles west of Finderne Avenue (County Route 633), on the left when traveling west.
The house stands on its original site over looking the Raritan River. The land was once part of an 834 acre plantation that Derrick’s father, Michael, purchased in 1697. Derrick, who was born here in 1699, was a prosperous farmer, respected member . . . — Map (db m60362) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Jacob Vosseller HouseCirca 1753
On Foothill Road near Allen Road, on the right when traveling north.
18th century home and General Store of Jacob Vosseller. 19th century Stage Coach Inn and Tavern known as Allen Inn. — Map (db m33196) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Philip Van Horne HouseCirca 1750
On Main Street (County Route 533) 0.2 miles east of Prominade Boulevard (County Route 683), on the right when traveling west.
In the predawn darkness of April 13th, 1777, British General Cornwallis led a four-pronged attack on the American garrison at Bound Brook. General Benjamin Lincoln, who was a guest at the Van Horne House, barely escaped capture. Following the . . . — Map (db m99260) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On Foothill Road at Allen Road, on the right when traveling north on Foothill Road.
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m33183) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater Township — Bridgewater Train Station
The Bridgewater Train Station is dedicated to the memory of Arthur L. Reuben, 1921 – 1999.

A founder of the Raritan Valley Line Coalition, and a member of and Legislative Agent for the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers, and . . . — Map (db m139393) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Far Hills StationDate 1914 — L.R. Simpson, Architect —
On New Jersey Route 202, on the left when traveling north.
Far Hills Station was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1914 and was designed by a staff architect, L.R. Simpson. Simpson was an assistant to Frank J. Nies, a prolific architect for the railroad, who designed most of the . . . — Map (db m16982) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Far Hills War Monument
On Peapack Road at Prospect Street, on the right when traveling north on Peapack Road.
(See Markers Below) — Map (db m90139) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Moggy HollowA Glacial Relic
Near Layton Road, on the right when traveling east.
When Earth temperatures started cooling about 100,000 years ago, ice built up in the North to over a mile in height. Forced to flow outward by its own weight, the ice sheet spread south, bulldozing the land. Then with a rise in global temperature, . . . — Map (db m18700) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Far Hills — Purvis James Boatwright Jr."P.J." — 1927 - 1991 —
Near Far Hills Road, on the right when traveling east.
P.J. Boatwright served the USGA with dedication and distinction for over three decades. Renowned for his expertise in conducting championships, he was also the world's foremost authority on the rules of golf. P.J. was the ultimate arbiter in . . . — Map (db m18212) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Franklin Twp — William L. Hutcheson Memorial ForestNational Natural Landmark
Near Amwell Rd (County Route 514).
William L. Hutcheson Memorial Forest has been designated a National Natural Landmark. This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment. 1976. . . . — Map (db m99139) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Green Brook — Washington Rock
Near Washington Avenue near Rock Road, on the right when traveling north.
From this rock General George Washington watched the movements of the British forces during the anxious months of May and June 1777. Erected by the Continental Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution - and the people of - . . . — Map (db m7765) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Green Brook — Washington RockWashington Rock State Park
On Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
You are standing on a rocky outcrop that was a strategic lookout for General George Washington during the Revolutionary War. At that time, the land was mostly fields and meadows offering a clear view for 30 miles. In June of 1777, the ability to . . . — Map (db m7766) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Green Brook — Washington Rock
On Rock Road East just from Washington Avenue (County Route 529), on the left when traveling west.
In May, 1777, General George Washington moved his army from Morristown to the Watchung Mountains above Bound Brook. The British Army, under the command of Sir William Howe, were reinforcing their base at New Brunswick and hoping to draw the American . . . — Map (db m60363) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Griggstown — Griggstown Bridge Tender’s Station
On Griggstown Causeway at Canal Road, on the left when traveling west on Griggstown Causeway.
The D&R Canal was built between the years 1830 and 1834. The waterway connected the Delaware and Raritan Rivers and, after its completion, served to expedite the flow of commerce between Philadelphia and New York City. Coal was the primary commodity . . . — Map (db m33195) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Griggstown — Historic River Road and River Crossing
On Griggstown Causeway just east of Millstone River Road, on the left when traveling west.
Route of Continental Army of Morristown after Battle of Princeton, Jan. 3, 1777. Route also of armies marching from New York to Yorktown, VA. Aug. 30-31, 1781. — Map (db m16700) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Griggstown — Washington’s Route from Princeton
On Canal Road, on the right when traveling north.
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton January, 1777. Erected by Camp Middlebrook Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m46166) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Harlingen — Harlingen Road BridgeOver Fox Brook
On Dutchtown - Harlingen Road (County Route 604), on the right when traveling east.
Harlingen Village grew up around the Reformed Church beginning in the 1750s. It evolved into Montgomery Township's chief religious, civic, and business center. Harlingen Road, the village's main street, crossed Fox Brook in the Village as early as . . . — Map (db m31955) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Hillsborough — General Frederick Frelinghuysen MemorialVan Nest Burying Ground aka Frelinghuysen Burying Ground
On Millstone River Road.
In memory of Gen. Frederick Frelinghuysen 1760-1804 of Revolutionary fame who is buried within these wall. — Map (db m94090) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Hillsborough — Thomas P. Huff Farmstead
On Wertsville Road 0 miles east of Montgomery Road, on the right when traveling west.
Constructed circa 1870, the Thomas P. Huff House exemplifies the Victorian era Tuscan Villa style. The site also includes a circa 1800 three-bay Dutch Barn, 1870 corn crib and other agricultural buildings. The farmstead historically operated as a . . . — Map (db m104499) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Kate McFarlane and Josephine SwannWomen’s Heritage Trail
On Kingston Rocky Hill Road (County Route 603), on the left when traveling north.
In 1783, while Congress was meeting at Nassau Hall in nearby Princeton, Rockingham was rented from Margaret Berrien, the widow of NJ Supreme Court Justice John Berrien, for the use of General George Washington. It served as what became his final . . . — Map (db m77313) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Kingston Cemetery
On Main Street (New Jersey Route 27) at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Site of “Conference On Horseback,” January 3, 1777, at which Washington decided to move toward Morristown rather than New Brunswick . . . . a decision that probably prevented a critical American defeat. — Map (db m33194) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — 26 — Kingston Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Near Main Street (New Jersey Route 27) at Church Street, on the right when traveling west.
Prior to 1766, our house of worship was built on this site. The wooden structure was destroyed by fire in 1791, and a new building was erected on the same foundation soon afterward. This church building served our congregation until 1852 when we . . . — Map (db m122266) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Kingston Revolutionary War Soldiers
Near Main Street (New Jersey Route 27) at Church Street, on the right when traveling west.
In memory of the Soldiers of Kingston who fought bravely for our Independence. — Map (db m97671) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Rockingham
On Kingston Rocky Hill Road, on the left when traveling north.
George Washington’s Headquarters 1783 — Map (db m33222) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Kingston — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On Main Street (New Jersey Route 27) at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m33184) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — A Place To RememberBernards Township 9-11 Memorial
Near Liberty Corner Road.
A tribute to life, lives lost and lives changed forever. September 11, 2001 — Map (db m21972) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — Bernards Township WWI & WWII Memorial
On Church Street at Valley Road, in the median on Church Street.
Dedicated in grateful appreciation to the men and women of Bernards Township who served in the armed forces during World War I and World War II. That peace, freedom and justice might not perish from the earth. — Map (db m18211) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — Chief Philip KoechleinLiberty Corner Fire Company Headquarters
Near Liberty Corner Road, on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated in memory of Chief Philip Koechlein for seventy-four years of service. Admitted              1921 Fire Dispatcher     1921 - 1969 Chief                     1926 - 1928 Answered the final alarm October 8, 1995 "Phil, you . . . — Map (db m21977) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — French Army Encampment
On Valley Road, on the right when traveling south.
General Rochambeau's troops camped here in August 1781 en route to the Battle of Yorktown. — Map (db m20152) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Liberty Corner — The Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route
On Valley Road just south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
On this site French Troops under Le Comte De Rochambeau encamped August 29, 1781 en route to meeting Gen. George Washington and achieving their victory at Yorktown, American independence was assured there in Virginia by the defeat and surrender of . . . — Map (db m11580) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Lyons — Lyons StationDate: 1931
Near Lyons Place.
Lyons Station was constructed by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1931 in a Tudor style. Tudor architecture is exemplified in Lyons Station by the parapeted end and front gables, multi-paned steel casement windows, carved rosette . . . — Map (db m22508) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Lyons — Vail FamilyBasking Ridge Garden Club
On Stonehouse Road (County Route 613), on the right when traveling west.
Renewed and Dedicated April 27, 1990 A small burial ground on the site of the Daniel Vail Family Farm — Map (db m101944) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — American Revolution Army Encampent
On South 9th Avenue at Camplain Road on South 9th Avenue.
Army Encampment. Encampment area for the Pennsylvania troops of the Continental Army from about December 15, 1778, until June 1, 1779. — Map (db m75610) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — Continental Army Encampment1778-79
On Washington Avenue at 11th Street, on the left when traveling west on Washington Avenue.
Two brigades of the Pennsylvania Line commanded by Major General Arthur St. Clair and General William Irvine encamped in the area during the 1778-79 Middlebrook Cantonment.

Late in November 1778, General George Washington decided to move three . . . — Map (db m96787) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — War Memorial
On Washington Avenue.
This plaque is reverently and prayerfully dedicated to the men of Manville, martyrs to justice and charity, who laid down their lives in World War II and the Korean Conflict in the cause of holy liberty and freedom for all the world. May they . . . — Map (db m75609) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — Washington’s Route from Princeton
On Finderne Avenue (County Route 533), on the right when traveling north.
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton January, 1777. Erected by Camp Middlebrook Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m33188) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Manville — World War II Memorial
On Colorado Avenue.
In honor of the citizens of Manville who served their country in World War II and in memory of those who gave their lives. 1941 - 1945. — Map (db m75612) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Martinsville — 1777 Reboubt
On Bolmer Farm Road, on the right when traveling south.
One of the redoubts and breastworks erected by the Continental troops, June, 1777, to defend the encampment in the valley. — Map (db m32267) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Martinsville — Bolmer Farm House - 1754
On W Circle Drive at Middle Road, on the right when traveling south on W Circle Drive.
This remodeled farm house is the last of the farm houses built by members of the Bolmer family. Settling here before 1799, the Bolmers were the first early Dutch settlers in the fertile Washington Valley. Robert and Marie Bolmer had 12 children all . . . — Map (db m32277) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Martinsville — Revolutionary War Reboubt 1777 and 1778/79
On Bolmer Farm Road, on the right when traveling south.
When Washington’s Army was encamped at Middlebrook in the spring of 1777, earthen redoubts were built west of Chimney Rock Road and north of the west branch of the Middlebrook. The redoubts were 75ft. square and 4 ft. deep and were equipped with a . . . — Map (db m32269) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Middlebrush — Voorhees Home
On Amwell Road.
Early 18th century house of Garret Voorhees was burned by the retreating troops of General Howe in 1777. Rebuilt in 1793 — Map (db m94038) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Millstone — Millstone School House
On Millstone River Road (County Route 533), on the right when traveling north.
One room school house from 1860 to 1944. One teacher taught all eight grades. Enrollment varied with attendance up to 35 students. Original structure included a belfry. The Board of Education transferred the building to the borough in 1949, at . . . — Map (db m37166) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Millstone Borough — Indian Mill Stone
On North River Street.
Indian mill stone. A remnant of the first American mechanic. Presented to JR.O.U.A.M. No. 110 by Geo. Garretson. — Map (db m76070) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Millstone Borough — Millstone
On Amwell Road at Millstone River Road on Amwell Road.
This millstone was found on the Jacob Van Doren farm 1000 feet south of this church, on site of large Indian village. Presented by Manning Wikoff to Hillsborough Reformed Church in 1927. Plaque 1946. — Map (db m76701) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Millstone Borough — Second Court House of Somerset County
On South River Street.
To mark the site of the second court house of Somerset County in this place then called Hillsborough. Built in 1738 - Burned October 26, 1779 by tory raiders under Lt. Col. Simcoe of the Queens Rangers.

This tablet was set upon by the Society . . . — Map (db m75798) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Neshanic — Neshanic Reformed Church
On Amwell Road at River Road, on the right when traveling west on Amwell Road.
Organized 1752. The construction of this Edifice was begun in 1759 and completed in 1772. — Map (db m31956) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Neshanic Station — Opie/River Road Bridge
On Opie / River Road, on the right when traveling north.
The previous bridge carrying Opie/River Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River was originally built at this location in 1921 by Dover Boiler Works and was significant as a rare example of a rivet-connected Pratt truss bridge. The current . . . — Map (db m19189) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), North Branch — The North Branch Bridge
On Easton Turnpike (County Road 614) west of Church Road, on the right when traveling east.
Originally a wooden bridge in colonial times, George Washington's Surveyor General, Robert Erskine, reported it to be a "Good Bridge" in 1779. From 1809 to 1869 the bridge was maintained by the original New Jersey Turnpike Corporation, which erected . . . — Map (db m30807) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), North Plainfield — World War II 50th Anniversary Commemorative Memorial
On Rockview Avenue at Grove Street on Rockview Avenue.
Honor Roll. This monument is dedicated to all the men and women from North Plainfield who served their country during World War II. 1941 - 1945. — Map (db m77048) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack — "Natirar"
Near Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Estate of Catherine "Kate" Everit Macy Ladd (1863-1945) and Walter Graeme Ladd (1857-1933) Designed and Built 1905-1912 Architects Guy Lowell (1870-1927) and Henry J. Hardenbergh (1847-1918) — Map (db m18215) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack — Peapack Brook Rural Industrial Historic District
On Main Street north of Old Dutch Road, on the left when traveling north.
The confluence of Peapack Brook and the North Branch of the Raritan River became a rural industrial center during the 18th century when a saw mill, grist mill, tannery and bark mill were located nearby. The Peapack Brook Rural Industrial Historic . . . — Map (db m18574) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack — Peapack-Gladstone Lime Kiln Park
Near Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Site of "Lime Burning" operations 1794 - 1945. Lime making is explained on the public bulletin board. — Map (db m16607) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack - Gladstone — Peapack - Gladstone 9-11 Memorial
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
This playground is dedicated to all of the children whose lives were affected by the tragic events of September 11, 2001, most especially the families of: Kevin Dennis John Farrell Timothy Gilbert Lance Tumulty — Map (db m23023) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Peapack-Gladstone — Peapack- Gladstone Liberty Park
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of those who served in the World War. 1917–1919. In memory of the men who lost their lives ... in honor of the men and women who also served in the armed forces of our country. World War II, 1441–1445. Honor Roll . . . — Map (db m16979) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Pluckemin — General Highway Administration 1893-1993
Near Interstate 78.
General Highway Administration 1893-1993 Dedicated October 3, 1993 to commemorate 100 years of service to the nation. Through its partnerships with the states, the highway community, and other Federal agencies, FHWA has helped make the United . . . — Map (db m105116) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Pluckemin — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On U.S. 202 at Washington Valley Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 202.
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m8896) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Pluckemin — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On U.S. 202, on the right when traveling north.
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8898) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge
On Old York Road.
The Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge, constructed in 1879, is the oldest surviving metal truss bridge in Somerset County, the second oldest Phoenix column bridge in New Jersey and the only one built as a railroad bridge. This was built by Clark, . . . — Map (db m60366) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — John BasiloneSergeant, U.S. Marine Corps — Hero Of Guadalcanal —
On Old York Road at Canal Street, in the median on Old York Road.
Marker Front: Born in Buffalo NY, Novemver 4, 1916 Enlisted from Raritan, N.J., July 11, 1940 Awarded Congressional Medal Of Honor for Heroic Action on October 24, 25, 1942 Volunteered again for combat, Dec. 27, 1943 Killed in action . . . — Map (db m16987) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Memorial to the Naraticong Indians
On Old York Road at Canal Street, in the median on Old York Road.
Whose friendship for the Whites, made possible the building of the Olde York Road over their trail which from 1765 until 1839 was the swift sure stage line between New York and Philadelphia from this point to Lambertville thence to Philadelphia. . . . — Map (db m16986) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Nevius Street Bridge
On Canal Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Nevius Street Bridge is a 300-foot-long, two span, double-intersection, Pratt through-truss bridge. It is the oldest documented metal-truss bridge in the county, being constructed in 1886 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The . . . — Map (db m60374) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Raritan Veterans Memorial
On Old York Road at Canal Street, on the right when traveling north on Old York Road.
In Memory of The Men From Raritan Borough Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In Defense of Our Country World War I Sante Moretti, Angelo Simonitti And Those Others Whose Names Are Only Known to God and Country World War II Dominic . . . — Map (db m114156) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Raritan Veterans Monument
On Old York Road at Canal Street, on the right when traveling north on Old York Road.
Dedicated To All Veterans Of Raritan Borough To the Honor And Glory of Those Who Bravely Served In All Wars, To Keep Our Country a Land of Freedom. They Are Not Lost Who Fought and Fell, They Are Only Waiting Ahead. . . . — Map (db m114160) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Raritan Water Power Canal1840
On Canal Street, on the right when traveling east.
The potential of the Raritan River to provide waterpower for industry was recognized early. In 1840, the success of similar projects along the Passaic and Delaware Rivers prompted the Somerville Water Power Company to begin building a power canal . . . — Map (db m16988) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — Somerset County Veterans Monument
On Old York Road at Canal Street, on the right when traveling north on Old York Road.
Somerset County Distinguished Military Service Dedicated To The Brave Men and Women Of The Armed Forces Of The United States of America Who Served and Sacrificed Their Lives To Protect the Principles of Freedom, Equality, Justice, . . . — Map (db m114159) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Raritan — The Official End Of World War I
On Easton Turnpike (New Jersey Route 28) at Entrance to PC Richard & Burger King, on the left when traveling west on Easton Turnpike.
On this site stood the estate of U.S. Senator Joseph S. Frelinghuysen. It was here, on July 2, 1921, that President Warren G. Harding signed a joint congressional resolution that officially ended World War I. — Map (db m70542) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Skillman — Opie-Vanderveer Cemetery
Near Hollinshead Spring Road.
This family cemetery served the Opies and Vanderveers from the late 1700s into the early 1800s and is the resting place for at least sixteen family members. In 2001 it was restored by Montgomery Boy Scout Troop 46 as an Eagle Scout Service Project . . . — Map (db m96151) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Armed Forces Memorial
On West End Avenue, in the median.
Dedicated in grateful and loving tribute to all who served in the armed forces of the United States to defend their ideals and paved the way to peace. — Map (db m89661) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Fireman's Museum
On N Doughty Ave near West Main Street.
Somerville relies upon volunteers to staff its Fire Department. The first volunteer fire company organized in 1835. Since then, three more companies have formed, all manned by volunteers. This building was constructed in 1888 for the West End . . . — Map (db m7315) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Former Public Library
The people's reading room and library was formally established in 1871. The library had several locations until George W. Post, architect of the New York Stock Exchange, designed this neoclassical building expressly for it. Later incorporated as . . . — Map (db m76365) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Former Second National Bank1 West Main St — 1914 —
On Main St at S. Bridge St. on Main St.
Banking has been conducted on this corner since c. 1857. This beaux arts building of terra cotta brick was designed by local architect Jay C. Van Nuys. It replaced a brick bank structure that was moved to 23 South Bridge Street — Map (db m63562) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Fourth New Jersey Infantry Appreciation to Somerville
To the citizens of Sommerville in appreciation of their hospitality in 1917 to the Fourth New Jersey Infantry. We also speak for those who sleep in France. Presented by the Fourth New Jersey Infantry Post Number Fifty One, . . . — Map (db m89660) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Furman Frederick Kugler
On West End Avenue at Mountain Avenue on West End Avenue.
This is the actual bicycle used by the late Furman Frederick Kugler of Somerville, New Jersey in winning the First and Second Tour of Somerville May 20, 1940 – May 30, 1941 Furman was victorious in over 200 races . . . — Map (db m7313) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Jersey Central Lines
On U.S. 206 north of Somerset Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Central Railroad of New Jersey mainline crossed here between 1852 to 1976. The CRRNJ was the primary artery of travel to western cities by immigrants entering the United States at Ellis Island and contributed to the suburbanization to northern . . . — Map (db m74326) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — National Guard Armory1910 - 1999
On Grove Street, on the left when traveling south.
Site of the National Guard Armory 1910 - 1999 Home of the 2nd National Guard Regiment Company M The armory also served as an important community and cultural center hosting graduations, dances, rallies, sporting, and other important . . . — Map (db m5220) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Ruth St. DenisModern Dance Pioneer
On 99 West Main Street.
Ruth St. Denis Modern dance Pioneer First performance Somerset Hall 1893 — Map (db m7312) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Site of St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion ParsonageHome of Paul Robeson
On Cliff Street, on the right when traveling east.
On this site stood the St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion Parsonage. From 1910 to 1925, it was the home of Paul Robeson, noted actor, singer, scholar, athlete and humanitarian. — Map (db m49969) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Somerset County 9/11 Memorial and Clock Tower
On East Main Street (New Jersey Route 28) at North Bridge Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street.
The Citizens of Somerset County dedicate this Memorial to the thousands of innocent lives lost on September 11, 2001 and to the families that loved them. From this county, we remember and honor: Kermit Anderson Evan Jay Barton . . . — Map (db m5221) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Somerset County Court House Green
On East Main Street (New Jersey Route 28) 0 miles west of Grove Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Somerset County Court House, constructed in 1909, is a fine example of Beaux-Arts Classicism. It was designed by the firm of Gordon, Tracy and Swartwout. James Reilly Gordon was one of America’s greatest courthouse architects, who also designed . . . — Map (db m98263) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Somerset Hotel
On East Main Street at Grove Street on East Main Street.
Tunison's Tavern C.1748 was located here, making this the site of the oldest continuing business in Somerville. Some of George Washington's troops stayed at Tunison's during the 1778-79 Winter encampment. The tavern and the hotel that replaced it . . . — Map (db m76364) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Somerville Borough Hall
On West End Avenue.
Once the home of Daniel Robert, this castellated Gothic residence was constructed in 1888 and is a careful copy of a celebrated design by noted architect Alexander Jackson Davis. The building is the second on this site, preceded by a residence in . . . — Map (db m5348) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On E Main Street (New Jersey Route 28) at Grove Street, on the left when traveling east on E Main Street.
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m8899) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
On Hamilton Street at E Main Street on Hamilton Street.
By this route Washington with his army retired after his victory at Princeton Jan. 1777. Erected by Gen. Frelinghuysen Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m106208) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — World War I Memorial
On East High Street at Culver Street on East High Street.
Honor Roll In commemoration of those from Somerville New Jersey who served their country in the World War. 1917 - 1919. To the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life . . . — Map (db m76354) WM

New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — World War II Memorial
On Green Street at Bridge Street on Green Street.
Honoring the residents of the Borough of Somerville who served in the armed forces during World War II. This plaque is in memory of those who gave their lives in the service of their country. 1941 - 1945. — Map (db m76356) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Abraham Staats House
On Main Street (County Route 527) at Von Steuben Lane, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Built about 1740 Original central portion of house served as Headquarters for Baron Von Steuben during the winter of 1778-79. The borough of South Bound Brook Settled 1681 — Map (db m7811) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Abraham Staats HouseCirca 1740
On Von Steuben Lane, on the right when traveling east.
The Staats House is one of the finest remaining buildings from the second phase of Dutch immigration and settlement in the Raritan Valley. Abraham Staats was important locally as the county tax collector and the recorder of damages suffered at the . . . — Map (db m93741) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Battle of Bound Brook
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
At dawn on April 13, 1777 Hessian Captain Ewald’s assault over the stone bridge across the Bound Brook was pinned down by “murderous fire” from American soldiers stationed in the Half Moon Battery. Advancing North along present day . . . — Map (db m7813) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
On Canal Road, on the right when traveling west.
Historical Significance Dug by hand, mostly be Irish immigrants, the 66 mile D & R Canal was completed in 1834. 75 feet wide and 8 feet deep, the canal originally had 14 locks to raise and lower boat traffic. The D & R Canal operated as an . . . — Map (db m15661) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Fisher House
On Easton Avenue.
This 1688 house became the home of Hendrick Fisher, prominent citizen and patriot leader until his death in 1778 — Map (db m94085) HM WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Locks on the D&R CanalDelaware & Raritan Canal State Park
On Canal Road, on the right when traveling west.
A natural waterway follows the contours of the land over which it flows, the depth of water varies, depending on the quantity and velocity of flow. To maintain the constant depth of water required for transportation, a canal is engineered as a . . . — Map (db m15663) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Queen’s Bridge
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
To the casual observer, there is little to indicate the historical significance of this particular bridge crossing. Yet for at least 240 years it has been an important point in the Raritan Valley and has figured in many events that have transpired . . . — Map (db m7814) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Saint Olha
On Easton Avenue.
Front panel Equal-to-the Apostles-Great Princes of Kiev-Sovereign of Rus-Ukraine 945-969.

Left panel This monument was erected upon the desires of devout Ukrainian women with the blessings of the Metropolitan of the Ukrainian . . . — Map (db m94087) HM

New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Ukrainian American Veterans Memorial
On Easton Avenue.
Dedicated to all Ukrainian American men and women who have served in the United States Armed Forces. — Map (db m94088) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), South Bound Brook — Ukrainian Famine Memorial
On Easton Avenue.
(English version) In memory of the millions of women and children victims of genocide who died during the famine of 1932-1933 in Ukraine. — Map (db m94089) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Warren Twsp. — Mt. Bethel Meeting House
On Mountainview Road at King George Road, on the left when traveling east on Mountainview Road.
Historic Baptist church and Revolutionary War burial grounds built in 1761 on the Old Quibbletown Gap Road. Chartered in 1767. Moved to the present location in 1785. One of the oldest surviving Baptist buildings in New Jersey. A state and . . . — Map (db m32985) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Woodfern — Hillsborough Will Never Forget
Near Woodfern Road.
In memory of those who lost their lives in the tragic events of September 11, 2001 An Eagle Scout project by Ernie Guaimano Boy Scout Troop 186 — Map (db m17245) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Zarephath — Lock No. 10
On Weston Canal Road (Route 623 at milepost 2.5).
The Delaware and Raritan Canal was built, 1830 - 34, by Canvass White. Closed in 1933, it now supplies water for industry — Map (db m34937) HM

156 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement