Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sussex County New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Andover Furnace Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, February 16, 2013
Andover Furnace Marker
New Jersey (Sussex County), Andover — Andover Furnace
On Main Street (U.S. 206) near Lenape Road (County Route 517), on the right when traveling south.
Named for Andover, England. Begun in 1760 by Allen and Turner. Pig iron from here made fine steel for Continental Army. — Map (db m63375) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Andover — The Iron Master’s Mansion
On Main Street (U.S. 206) north of Grist Mill Lane, on the right when traveling south.
      Built by the English company of Allen & Turner about 1700, whose iron works were confiscated in 1778 by order of the Continental Congress. First master of record to occupy it was John Hackett. — Map (db m63376) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Andover Borough — The Iron Works at Andover
On New Jersey Route 206 when traveling south.
Purchased from a large tract of land belonging to William Penn, William Allen and Joseph Turner started their iron works here in 1760. Slaves and indentured servants were employed to extract and process iron ore to produce fine grade iron. The iron . . . — Map (db m27297) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Andover Borough — The Lackawanna Cutoff
On Tranquility Road (County Route 517).
The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad started construction on an eleven million dollar connection between Port Morris and Columbia, NJ in 1910. Completed within less than two years, it was an engineering marvel of its time, given that it was . . . — Map (db m27310) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Bevans — The Village of BevansDelaware Water Gap Nat’l Recreation Area
On Old Mine Road at Walpack Road N, on the left when traveling north on Old Mine Road.
Dutchman Peter Van Nests, first Sandyston Surveyor of Highways, settled here around 1767 at the intersection of rural roads that he had surveyed. The community, Peters Valley, became one of several small villages that supported nearby farms . . . — Map (db m16802) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Branchville — Branchville, NJIncorporated 1898
On County Route 519.
On or about the year 1690 William H. Beemer settled here on 1,000 acres of land and built the first mill. James Haggerty purchased this land in 1793 and built additional successful mills lending the area the name known as "Brantown" due to the many . . . — Map (db m26446) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Branchville — Stokes State Forest
On Coursen Road, on the left when traveling north.
Governor Edward C. Stokes established the Board of Forest Park Reservations in 1905. The new forestry commission acquired 5,432 acres on Kittatinny Mountain in 1907 to create the E. C. Stokes Reserve. Stokes State Forest grew to 12,429 acres by . . . — Map (db m16817) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Branchville — Sussex Railroad
On Railroad Avenue at Broad Street, on the left when traveling north on Railroad Avenue.
In 1869, due to the efforts of a prominent Branchville resident, William H. Bell, the Sussex Railroad was completed, ending in Branchville borough. The line, finished by Bell himself, was for a time referred to as the “Branchville . . . — Map (db m8094) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Byram Township — Amity School
On Amity Road (County Route 671) near County Route 605.
The Amity School was built in 1840, and in continuous use until June 1936. When it was built, Byram Township included part of current Sparta Township, and all of Stanhope and Hopatcong Boroughs. Stanhope Road did not reach from Green Road to . . . — Map (db m26433) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Byram Township — Cat Swamp Hijacking and Murder
On U.S. 206 at milepost 100.2 south of Byram Township, on the right when traveling south.
In this area, on Cat Swamp Hill in Byram Township, at about 6:00 a.m. on June 14, 1921, the Sussex Print Silk truck was hijacked. Albert Koster drove onto the scene on his motorcycle, was mistaken for a state trooper, and murdered. The gang escaped . . . — Map (db m26354) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Flatbrookville — Old Mine Road
On Old Mine Road, on the left when traveling north.
Connecting Esopus (Kingston) on Hudson River with Pahaquarry Copper Mine Length 104 miles – Built about 1650 Daniel Decker Ferry established 1756 Moved to Rosenkrans 1898 Lower Walpack Reformed Church one-fourth mile west Built 1737 – . . . — Map (db m16810) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Frankford Township — Augusta Hill Baptists
On Augusta Hill Road.
In 1750, several families left the Congregational Church of Mansfield, CT relocating to New Jersey with William Marsh, their spiritual leader. Building a log meeting house here, they associated with the Baptist faith in 1750. As the church . . . — Map (db m26434) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Franklin — Dr. Samuel Fowler(1779 - 1844)
On North Church Road (County Route 631) just east of Davis Road, on the right when traveling east.
Dr. Samuel Fowler, born in Newburgh, NY, and came first to Hamburg after medical studies in Philadelphia. He established mills, a blacksmith shop, tannery, and a furnace to process ores from mines owned in Franklin Furnace. He became a noted and . . . — Map (db m26449) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Fredon Township — Fredon
On New Jersey Route 94 at Phil Hardin Road (County Road 610) when traveling north on State Route 94.
Fredon Township, incorporated in 1904 became the last town in Sussex County and the only so named in the Country. Fredon, a name proposed for our nation in the early 1800's means a place of peace and freedom. The Route 94 crossroads, known as . . . — Map (db m26453) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Fredon Township — 361 — Yellow Frame Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On Yellow Frame Road near New Jersey Route 94.
In 1887, bordering "The Great Road" (Rt. 94) where Warren and Sussex Counties meet at an elevation 880 feet, a church and manse were erected as the third location of this Presbyterian congregation, built in the Victorian Queen Anne style by Simeon . . . — Map (db m122282) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Green Township — Thomas Woolverton's Tavern
On Pequest Road 0.1 miles north of Sutton Road.
In 1735, Royal Governor Jonathan Belcher ordered Sussex County's Government and Courts to be moved from Log Gaol to the tavern - house of Thomas Woolverton (1717-1760). Justice of the Peace and Tax Collector, until a permanent Courthouse was erected . . . — Map (db m27284) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Hamburg — Joseph Sharp's Iron Works
On Gingerbread Castle Road.
In 1768, Joseph Sharp erected a forge and furnace on the Wallkill River. The village around the Sharp Iron Works became known as Sharpsborough, later becoming Hamburg. Due to the expensive nature of the venture and competing forges, Sharp abandoned . . . — Map (db m26457) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Hampton Township — Twin Bridges
On Halsey Road (County Route 626).
Two rudimentary bridges were built to cross the Tockhockonetcong (now the Paulinskill) as Jonathan Hampton ordered the construction of the Military Road in 1756. An essential supply line to the frontier fortification in the Delaware Valley, the . . . — Map (db m27283) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Hardyston — George Washington Encampment1779 – 1912
On Route 94 at Beaver Run Road (County Route 661), on the left when traveling north on Route 94.
In this field, General George Washington encamped for a night on a march from Newburg to Morristown in 1779 to meet General Lafayette. With him was an aide, Lieutenant John Kays of Sussex County, a soldier of the American Revolution. This . . . — Map (db m8070) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Hardyston Township — Snufftown - Stockholm
On County Route 515 0.3 miles north of New Jersey Route 23.
Settled c.1750. Named from early inhabitants fondness of snuff tobacco or perhaps because "snuff" was a euphemism for liquor. Windham, Stockholm and other important forges produced iron goods. Paterson & Hamburg Turnpike (organized here 1806) . . . — Map (db m30659) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Highland Lakes — High Breeze Farm
On Barrett Road 0.8 miles east of Route 94 (New Jersey Route 94), on the left when traveling east.
This property is listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.

High Breeze was the last farm on Wawayanda Mountain. The main house dates back to 1828. From 1860 to 1986, the 160 acre farm was home to four generations of . . . — Map (db m81865) HM

New Jersey (Sussex County), Hopatcong — Home of Hudson Maxim
On Lakeside Boulevard.
Maxim Park was the estate of famous inventor, Hudson Maxim. Purchased by Maxim in 1901, the property included a spectacular Venetian boat house, guest cottages, a laboratory, ice house/observatory, servant's quarters, tennis courts and garage. Maxim . . . — Map (db m26455) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Lafayette — Northwest New Jersey Vietnam Veterans Memorial1959 - 1975
On New Jersey Route 15 0.1 miles west of Meadows Road.
Dedicated to the men and women of northwest New Jersey who served in southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, those who died in the service and those still missing. — Map (db m50646) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Lafayette — The Lafayette Foundry1836
On Morris Farm Road (County Route 659) at New Jersey Route 15 on Morris Farm Road.
On this site stood the LaFayette Foundry, built in 1836 by Alexander Boyles. This operation employed many laborers and the success of the industry resulted in the sale of building lots along Union Turnpike (now Route 15) by Joseph Northrup, Jr. and . . . — Map (db m88587) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Layton — Layton, New Jersey
On County Route 560.
Layton, once known as Laytons, was originally named Centreville. This village was settled by John Layton in the early 1800's. The first business here was owned by blacksmith Simeon Fisher, followed by Abraham Bell who established a carpenter's shop . . . — Map (db m60343) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Layton (Sandyston Township) — Bevans, New Jersey
On County Route 615 near Walpack Road and Kuhn Road when traveling north.
Originally named for early settler and surveyor Peter Van Neste in 1761. Nicknamed Hen's Foot, The Corners, and finally Bevans for its Postmaster James C. Bevans in 1829. The Peter's Valley Society for Literature was est. Jan. 1, 1813. The Dutch . . . — Map (db m36284) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Montague Township — Brick House Village
On River Road (County Route 521) north of New Jersey Highway 206 when traveling north.
This central hamlet for Montague, a township created in 1759, was named for the Brick House Hotel - a colonial tavern, hostelry and stage coach stop built in the 1700's. It sat at the convergence of two turnpikes with Old Mine Road and near the . . . — Map (db m26416) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Defenders of the Union1861-1865
On Main Street (U.S. 206) at Spring Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Erected by a grateful people to commemorate the services and sacrifices of the soldiers and sailors in the War of the Rebellion. Right of Monument: Malvern Hill, Salem Heights, Petersburg, Crampton Pass, Spottsylvania, Roanoke Island, . . . — Map (db m8127) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — George Washington Tree
On Church Street at Main Street (U.S. 206), on the left when traveling west on Church Street.
This tree planted in memory of George Washington by the Chinkchewunska Chapter D.A.R. 1932 — Map (db m8090) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Henry W. Merriam(1828 - 1900)
On Sparta Avenue (County Road 616) at Merriam Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Sparta Avenue.
President of the H.W. Merriam Shoe Company, he relocated his factory from New York City to Newton in 1873. The nation's largest producer of ladies' and children's shoes, it was also the largest employer in Sussex County with over 350 employees. Held . . . — Map (db m26454) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Home of Thomas Anderson
On Main Street (U.S. 206), on the left when traveling north.
Admitted to New Jersey Bar as Counsellor 1765. Appointed first Surrogate of Sussex County by Royal Governor William Franklin, 1768 Office held by reappointment until death 1805. Acting Clerk of Sussex County 1770-1777. Assistant Deputy . . . — Map (db m8077) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Moody’s Raids
On Main Street (U.S. 206) at Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Newton was the scene of raids made by the Tory, James Moody. Washington’s Asst. Quartermaster, Thomas Anderson, stored supplies here. Oct. 1779, his troops marched here and during the Indian Campaign Gates stationed a detachment here. — Map (db m63378) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Newton GreenA Birthplace of Democracy
On Spring Street (U.S. 206) at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Spring Street.
The Courthouse Yard was a central part of landowner Jonathan Hampton’s Town Plot in 1762. It was used for political meetings, corporal punishment, militia trainings, public entertainments, and a common pasture. Until 1858 voters in township . . . — Map (db m8085) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Newton Green
On High Street (U.S. 206) at Spring Street, on the left when traveling south on High Street.
The only Colonial county seat in New Jersey where a court house on its original site fronts a town square or public Green. In 1908 architect J.J. Vreeland added an upper story and Classical porch to the County Clerk and Surrogate Offices, built . . . — Map (db m27307) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Old Newton Burial Ground
Near Main Street (U.S. 206) at Church Street, on the right when traveling north.
Oldest portion dedicated in 1762 as part of Town Plot. Enlarged about 1820. Job S. Halsted donated 3/5 acre in 1837 to Presbyterian Church. Enclosed by wall in 1837. By 1876, burials estimated at 5000 including many of the earliest settlers of the . . . — Map (db m63382) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Sussex County
On High Street (U.S. 206) at Spring Street, on the right when traveling south on High Street.
To commemorate the establishment of Sussex County by Act of the Legislature, June 8, 1753. To Commemorate the setting up of the Court of General Sessions and the Inferior Court of Common Pleas by decree of Governor Jonathan Belcher in the name of . . . — Map (db m8089) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Sussex County Public Safety Memorial
Near Morris Turnpike (County Route 655) 0.5 miles south of Morris Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Sussex County Public Safety Memorial Dedicated to Those Who Have Given Their Lives in Service to Our Community Law Enforcement Roll of Honor John D. Kinney     Newton – 1934 · Joseph C. Walter Jr.     New Jersey State Police – . . . — Map (db m105227) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Sussex County Veterans Memorial
On Spring Street (New Jersey Route 206) at Main Street and High Street (New Jersey Route 94), on the left on Spring Street.
Veterans Memorial 2005 Honoring all Veterans - Past, Present and Future — Map (db m31927) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — The Hill Memorial
On Main Street (U.S. 206) at Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
The Hill Memorial Headquarters of the Sussex County Historical Society Built 1916 in Renaissance Revival style by gift of Joshua Hill. Dedicated June 8, 1917. Listed 1985 on State and National Historic Registers as the oldest Museum Building in . . . — Map (db m8091) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — U.S.S. Bunker Hill Memorial
On U.S. 206 1.2 miles north of Stickles Pond Road, on the right when traveling north.
In Memory Of The Men Who Lost Their Lives On The U.S.S. Bunker Hill — Map (db m97683) WM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Newton — Unknown Soldier of the Revolution
On Cherry Lane at Apple Blossom Way, on the left when traveling east on Cherry Lane.
Erected to an unknown soldier of the Revolution Chinkchewunska Chap No 24 DAR NJ — Map (db m8073) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Ogdensburg — Old Schoolhouse and Firehouse Museum
On Passaic Avenue at County Route 517 on Passaic Avenue.
Built in 1910 as Ogdensburg's fifth public school, it was adapted for re-use in 1930 as the Borough's first firehouse. In 1989, with the aid of two state grants, the Ogdensburg Historical Society adapted it for re-use and dedicated it as the Old . . . — Map (db m27303) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sandyston Township — Hainesville, New Jersey
On Layton-Hainesville Road (County Road 645) at DeGroat Road West (County Road 675) when traveling south on Layton-Hainesville Road.
The original name of "Sandyston" was changed to honor N.J. Governor Haines in 1845. This hamlet was created on a 1,000 acre plot purchased from the Gardner Tract by Simon Courtright before the Revolutionary War. Ownership passed to Peter Hotalen, . . . — Map (db m26413) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sandyston Township — Old Mine Road
On Old Mine Road.
Built about 1650. Bell House – has housed nine generations of same family. Minisink Village – white men and Indians lived together. Minisink Island – in river to the west. Westbrook Fort – during French and . . . — Map (db m27279) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sandyston Township — The Westbrook - Bell House
On Old Mine Road.
Johannes Westbrook, who was among the earliest permanent settlers of the Minisink region, built this homestead around the year 1701. It was subsequently fortified when incidents of hostility increased between the residents of New York and New Jersey . . . — Map (db m26414) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — Historic Lake Mohawk
On East Shore Trail at Winona Parkway (County Route 613), on the left when traveling north on East Shore Trail.
Welcome to Historic Lake Mohawk Before there was a lake, there was Brogden Meadow. Once a lush valley nestled between the rising hills, founders Arthur D. Crane and Herbert Closs thought this to be the perfect place for their vision: flood the . . . — Map (db m132600) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — Krogh’s
On East Shore Trail (County Route 613) at Winona Parkway, on the right when traveling north on East Shore Trail.
This Property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m71028) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — Lake Mohawk Memorial
Near East Shore Trail (County Route 613) at Winona Parkway, on the left when traveling north.
This memorial was dedicated by the Lake Mohawk Country Club and the families of its founders, Arthur D. Crane and Herbert L. Closs, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Lake Mohawk, the largest man-made lake in New Jersey. The Crane Company . . . — Map (db m71024) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — Princess White Deer
Near East Shore Trail at Winona Parkway (County Route 613), on the right when traveling north.
"Greetings. Ten years ago on this very spot, I invoked the Great Spirit to look kindly upon the efforts of those who brought about this colony. I asked the sun to shine brightly, the rain to fall gently, and the breezes to blow coolly. Ten years . . . — Map (db m132601) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — Sparta
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
A colonial village raided in 1781 by James Moody’s Tories. The band plundered the home of a patriot leader, Robert Ogden, Sr. — Map (db m63373) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — Sparta War Memorial
On Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
Erected by James B. Titman Lieut. and R.O.M. of 27th and 33rd Regiments New Jersey Volunteers War of 1861-65, in memory of all the Brave Heroes who served on land and sea in defense of their country in any of the wars of the United States [Rear . . . — Map (db m35068) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sparta — The Works of the New Jersey and Pennsylvania Concentrating Company
On Edison Road, on the right when traveling west.
On this site in 1891, Thomas Edison developed an enormous complex of mines, crushers, separators, and subsidiary buildings that came to be known as “Edison” or, more properly, “The Works of the New Jersey and Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m35063) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — Let This Tablet Honor Them and All Who Live For the Good of the Community
Near Waterloo Valley Road, on the right when traveling east.
          Two hundred years ago, here at Andover Forge, and throughout the State of New Jersey, the Irish settlers, who formed one third of Washington’s army, fulfilled their vision of freedom through their participation in the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m99031) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Near Waterloo Valley Road, on the right when traveling east.
The hydraulic – powered inclined plane system of the Morris Canal. Presented 1980 — Map (db m99035) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — Stanhope, NJ
On Main Street at County Route 601 on Main Street.
Stanhope was a major port of commerce on the Morris Canal in Sussex County, enabling the expansion of the ironworks industry. The Morris Canal, a man-made engineering achievement, operated 1831-1924, and linked the Hudson and Delaware Rivers, . . . — Map (db m27299) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — The Morris Canal 1824-1924The Morris Canal Greenway
Near Waterloo Valley Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Morris Canal was an engineering marvel of its time.   A system of 23 lift locks and 23 inclined planes enabled the canal to overcome more elevation change than any other transportation canal ever built. Large changes in elevation were . . . — Map (db m99051) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — The Morris Canal Inclined PlanesVillage of Waterloo
Near Waterloo Valley Road, on the right when traveling east.
The inclined planes of the Morris Canal solved a major engineering problem.   The canal route had to overcome 1,674 feet of elevation change across New Jersey. The route was chosen for access to the state’s iron industry and to utilize the . . . — Map (db m99054) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — Waterloo, A Canal TownVillage of Waterloo
Near Waterloo Valley Road, on the right when traveling east.
Peter Smith was a man of vision.   Knowing the Morris Canal was about to build a lock and an inclined plane at the Old Andover Forge site, Smith moved his family to the village and built a general store right on the canal. He and his extended . . . — Map (db m99034) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stanhope — Waterloo: A Transportation CrossroadsVillage of Waterloo
Near Waterloo Valley Road, on the right when traveling east.
Waterloo has been a transportation hub since 1760 when wagons brought pig iron from nearby Andover Furnace to the village’s iron forge.   When the Morris Canal opened in 1831, horse-drawn wagons brought iron ore to the docks where it was loaded . . . — Map (db m99053) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Stillwater — Casper Shafer(1712 - 1784)
On Main Fredon Road (County Route 610) 0.3 miles east of Maple Avenue (County Route 521).
Casper Shafer, a German emigrant settled this area circa 1742. By 1750, he built this stone house, later fortifying it with a stockade during the French and Indian War. His first grist mill, built 1743, was located upstream, replacing it in 1764 . . . — Map (db m26448) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — High Point Monument
Near New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
Height 220 Feet Base 34 feet square at the platform and 19 feet square where apex begins. The base of the monument is erected on the highest point in the State of New Jersey Altitude 1803 feet above sea level. Corner stone laid June 8, 1929 1930 < . . . — Map (db m23645) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — High Point: An Early Haven for Sightseers & SportsmenHigh Point State Park
On New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
Early Settlement Were Sparse Since prehistoric times the rugged landscape of the Kittatinny Ridge has made it more a place to visit than a place to live. Native Americans hunted the forests and fished the lakes here, but their villages were . . . — Map (db m24545) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — Public Parks: Refuge & Recreation for AllHigh Point State Park
On New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
The First Public Park Was an Urban Oasis When Europeans first arrived in America the land seemed limitless. However, by the late 1800s settlements stretched from the Atlantic to the Pacific. More people were living in crowded cities and needed . . . — Map (db m24583) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — Sussex Borough, New Jersey
On Main Street at Newton Avenue on Main Street.
Sussex Borough was settled by Peter Decker about 1742. It was incorporated from Wantage Township as the Borough of Deckertown on October 15, 1891. The name was changed to Sussex Borough on March 2, 1902. The Sussex Presbyterian Church, the oldest . . . — Map (db m27298) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — The Gift of a State ParkHigh Point State Park
On New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
High Point – One of New Jersey’s First State Parks Like many early parks, High Point was privately owned for many years. During the early 1900s it was the summer estate of Anthony Kuser and his wife, Susie Dryden Kuser. Senator John F. . . . — Map (db m24581) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Sussex — The Kuser Lodge: An Inn, A Mansion, A MuseumHigh Point State Park
On New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
The Kuser Family Transformed the High Point Inn Twin brothers John and Anthony Kuser, purchased the High Point Inn and the surrounding property in 1910. The sprawling mountain resort became the summer retreat of Anthony Kuser and his wife, . . . — Map (db m24594) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Vernon — Sand Hill Road and Route 94
On McAfee Vernon Road (Route 94) at Sand Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on McAfee Vernon Road.
In 1799 Peter Tompkins kept an inn and tavern in a former tailor shop at this corner. Sometime after 1811, when Vernon Turnpike (Route 94) was incorporated, the Stewart House was built next door. In the mid 1800's the inn was removed and the house . . . — Map (db m41081) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Vernon — St. Thomas Episcopal Church
On New Jersey Route 94.
This church was constructed in 1847 at a cost of $1,500 and was officially incorporated in May of 1848. Records of the parish date back to 1832. Many of the well-known local families were early benefactors, such as Rutherford, Dekay, Price, . . . — Map (db m27300) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Vernon Township — Cedar Crest FarmParker – Sisco Farmstead
On Vernon-Stockholm Road (County Route 515) south of Breakneck Road, on the left when traveling north.
A working dairy farm until 1949. This structure housed the Township Clerk’s office. All municipal business was conducted here from 1898 – 1954. — Map (db m108802) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Vernon Township — Price's Switch Schoolhouse
On Price's Switch Road (County Route 515) at Meadowburn Road on Price's Switch Road.
Built in 1840, Price's Switch School was the last one-room schoolhouse to operate in Sussex County. The building originally stood on Route 94, a quarter mile north of Price's Switch Road, but was moved to its current location in 1883. It is the only . . . — Map (db m27301) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Walpack — Old Mine Road
On Old Mine Road, on the right when traveling north.
Connecting Esopus (Kingston) on Hudson River with Pahaquarry Copper Mine Length 104 miles – Built about 1650 Pahaquarry Copper Mines Southern end of Old Mine Road Mine opened by Dutch about 1650. Moses Van Campen House – Built 1755 one . . . — Map (db m16812) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Walpack Center — Wallpack, N.J.
On Main Street near Walpack Flatbrook Road (Old County Road 615), on the left when traveling west. Reported missing.
Wallpack Township, formed in 1731 out of Hunterdon County, included the present townships of Montague, Sandyston and the former Pahaquarry. The Delaware River forms the western boundary and the Old Mine Road, supposedly built by Dutch miners . . . — Map (db m49024) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Wantage — Old Clove Church1787
On New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
The Dutch Reformed Church of New Brunswick granted men of this community permission in 1787 to establish a congregation here. In 1817 this small group affiliated with three other churches and became the First Presbyterian Church of Wantage. Second . . . — Map (db m20546) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Wantage Township — DAR Van Bunschooten Museum
On New Jersey Route 23, on the right when traveling north.
This house was built in 1787 as the home of the Reverend Elias Van Bunschooten, a Dutch Reformed Minister. He was a farmer, mill operator, and large land owner. The farm was part of a 1000 acre plantation. The Dutch Colonial house is post and beam . . . — Map (db m30664) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Wantage Township — Goldsmith MaidQueen of the Trotters
On Unionville Road (County Road 651).
Here in the Clove in 1857 a filly of Hambletonian lineage was foaled on the farm of John B. Decker. When fully grown, a bay standardbred mare 15 hands, she was bought by Alden Goldsmith of Washingtonville, NY and won her first harness race at Goshen . . . — Map (db m137325) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Wantage Township — Kilpatrick's Reenactment
On County Route 650.
At the invitation of Major Hugh Judson Kilpatrick (1836-1881), a native of Wantage, over forty thousand veterans of the American Civil War and guards were treated to four days of festivities from August 25-28, 1878. On the final day of the . . . — Map (db m27305) HM
New Jersey (Sussex County), Wantage Township — Lusscroft
On County Route 519 at 4-H Trail on County Route 519.
Enos Brink farmed this foothills at the head of the West Branch of the Papakating Creek from 1835 to 1871. James Turner (1859-1939), of Montclair, retired executive of Arbuckle Brothers, a NY coffee and sugar company, built Lusscroft between 1919 . . . — Map (db m26451) HM

77 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement