Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Otero County New Mexico Historical Markers

 
<i>Back of</i> Commission for the Blind Orientation Center Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 25, 2011
Back of Commission for the Blind Orientation Center Marker
New Mexico (Otero County), Alamagordo — Commission for the Blind Orientation Center
The Orientation Center teaches persons who are blind or visually impaired the skills to live independently and work competitively. Originally part of the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, the “Training Center” opened . . . — Map (db m46076) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Alamagordo — Disappearance of Albert J. Fountain and his son Henry
Albert Jennings Fountain was a Civil War veteran, New Mexico legislator and prominent lawyer. On February 1, 1896, Fountain and his eight-year-old son, Henry, were traveling home to Mesilla from Lincoln. They carried grand jury indictments against . . . — Map (db m46077) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Alamagordo — New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
The New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired was founded on granted land in 1903 by the new territorial governor. The teacher and later regent was the blind daughter of lawman Pat Garrett, Elizabeth Garrett, who solicited the support of . . . — Map (db m46075) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Alamogordo — Dog Canyon(Cañon Del Perro)
For the Mescalero Apache, Dog Canyon was a favorite camping area and trail through the Sacramento Mountains. It was the scene of several battles in the 19th century. In 1863 a group of Mescaleros was attacked by soldiers, and the survivors were sent . . . — Map (db m72719) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Bent — Blazer’s Mill
An early fight in the Lincoln County War occurred near this sawmill on April 5, 1878, when several men of the McSween faction, including Dick Brewer and Billy the Kid, attempted to arrest Buckshot Roberts. Roberts and Brewer were killed, and two . . . — Map (db m46038) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Bent — Round Mountain
This cone--shaped mountain is a landmark in southern New Mexico that has historic significance for many area families. In April 1868 a skirmish occurred between the Apache and Tularosa settlers when six U.S. soldiers left supply wagons between Fort . . . — Map (db m73725) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Cloudcroft — Cloud-Climbing Railroad
In order to provide timber for the construction of his El Paso & Northeastern Railroad north of Alamagordo, Charles B. Eddy in 1898 built a spur into the Sacramento Mountains. The line operated as far as Cloudcroft until 1947. The Cloudcroft Trestle . . . — Map (db m59164) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Cloudcroft — Restoring a Local Treasure
The Mexican Canyon Trestle was restored in 2009-2010. Over 420 timbers were replaced and large sections of the trestle were rebuilt. The US Forest Service, New Mexico Rails-to-Trails and local efforts continue to preserve this treasure. The . . . — Map (db m59346) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), La Luz — La Luz
In 1719, Spanish Franciscan missionaries built a chapel here dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Luz, Our Lady of the Light. The naming of the village is also attributed to the will o’wisp light in the canyon, a perpetually burning lamp in an . . . — Map (db m46073) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Mayhill — Apache Battleground
In this immediate vicinity, Captain Henry W. Stanton of the U.S. Army, for whom Fort Stanton was named, lost his life in 1855 in a skirmish with the Mescalero Apaches. For several weeks, soldiers commanded by Stanton and Capt. Richard S. Ewell, were . . . — Map (db m73434) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Mescalero — Lozen, Little Sister“A Shield to Her People” — (ca. 1840-1889)
Lozen, a warrior and sister of the famous Warm Springs Apache chief Victorio, fought alongside her brother until his death in 1880 and later with his successors, Nana and Geronimo. Lozen also was a medicine woman and healer and, it was said, . . . — Map (db m46033) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Mescalero — Sierra Blanca
Sierra Blanca, a complex ancient volcano, rises more than 7,300 feet above Tularosa Basin to peak at 12,003 feet. Vertical geologic movement between ranges and basin is about 2 miles. San Andrés Mountains on the west side of Tularosa Basin are . . . — Map (db m46036) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers
Located in the Tularosa Basin east of the great lava flows known as the malpais, Three Rivers was once prominent in the cattle empires of Albert Bacon Fall, John S. Chisum, and Susie McSween Barber, “the cattle queen of New Mexico.” . . . — Map (db m46039) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers
Located in the Tularosa Basin at the turn-off for Three Rivers Petroglyphs, this ranching village settled in the early 1870's took its name for a nearby convergence of three creeks. The cattle empires of Albert Bacon Fall, John Chisum, and Susan . . . — Map (db m91006) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers Petroglyph Site
Inhabitants of a nearby village made the Three Rivers Petroglyphs (rock carvings) over 600 years ago. Over 20,000 petroglyphs have been identified in the area. The people were of the Jornada Mogollon (hor-NAH-da muggy-OWN) prehistoric Indian . . . — Map (db m46042) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers Petroglyph Site
Three miles east of here is one of the most concentrated arrays of petroglyphs in the Southwest. Along a mile-long volcanic ridge are some 21,000 images depicting animals, humans, plants and geometric shapes making it one of very few sites with . . . — Map (db m91007) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Three Rivers Petroglyphs
Three miles to the east is a mile-long array of pictures pecked into the solid rock walls of a volcanic ridge. They include both geometric and animal forms. They were likely made by prehistoric Mogollón Indians between ca. A.D. 1000 and 1400. — Map (db m46040) HM
New Mexico (Otero County), Tularosa — Tularosa
The Tularosa Basin has been occupied by Indian groups for thousands of years. The first Hispanic settlers moved here from the Rio Grande Valley in 1862. Anglo settlers and cattlemen began moving into the region in the 1870s. The original 1862 . . . — Map (db m46072) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement