Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Santa Fe County New Mexico Historical Markers

 
Agua Fria Village Historical Marker image, Touch for more information
By William H Mee
Agua Fria Village Historical Marker
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Agua Fria Village — Agua Fria
On Agua Fria Street (El Camino Real) (County Road 66) 0.2 miles west of Siler Road, on the right when traveling east.
Caravans entering and leaving Santa Fe on the Camino Real wound their way through scattered agricultural settlements south of the capital. Although this section of the Santa Fe River Valley was initially utilized as pasture for livestock, in the . . . — Map (db m40451) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Agua Fria Village — San Isidro Catholic Church
On Agua Fria Street (El Camino Real) (County Road 66) 0.5 miles east of Lopez Lane, on the right when traveling east.
This 19th century adobe church is dedicated to San Isidro, ploughman, patron saint of farmers and protector of crops. Christian tradition maintains that in order to allow San Isidro time for his daily prayers an angel plowed his fields. Agua Fria . . . — Map (db m40452) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cerrillos — CerrillosElevation 5,688 ft.
On Main Street at The Turquoise Trail National Scenic Byway (State Road 14), on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Before the arrival of the Spanish, the mineral rich area around Cerrillos produced turquoise, which was broadly traded across the American Southwest and into México. An early settlement of Los Cerrillos harbored Spanish refugees from the 1680 . . . — Map (db m54706) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cerrillos — Welcome to the Cerrillos Hills State Park
On County Road 59, on the right when traveling south.
… where you will experience the tri-cultural story of New Mexico, a history of the Indians, the Spanish, and the Anglos each altering this landscape in their efforts to obtain turquoise, lead, silver, and more. Indians mined nearby . . . — Map (db m70565) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cuyamungue — Pueblo of Tesuque
Near West Frontage Road (U.S. 84 Frontage Road at milepost 175), 0.2 miles north of Camel Rock Road.
The name Tesuque is a Spanish variation of the Tewa name Tetsugeh, meaninig "narrow place of cotton wood trees." The small Tewa speaking pueblo of Tesuque was established before 1200, and was first visited by Europeans in 1591. It is one of the most . . . — Map (db m32852) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Galisteo — Galisteo Pueblo
On State Road 41, on the right when traveling south.
Spanish explorers found several Tano-speaking pueblos in the Galisteo Basin in 1540. They were among the leaders of the Pueblo Revolt in 1680. 150 Tano families were eventually resettled in Galisteo Pueblo in 1706. Droughts, famine, Comanche raids, . . . — Map (db m64819) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Glorieta — Colorado Volunteers at the Battles of Glorieta PassMarch 26-28, 1862
On State Road 50 at milepost 1.6, on the left when traveling east.
On this site and several miles to the west along the Santa Fe Trail, Colorado Volunteers and Regular U.S. Troops fought a Confederate force from Texas in the Battle of Glorieta Pass. Although no clear victory emerged after two days of fierce and . . . — Map (db m120478) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Glorieta — Glorieta Battlefield
On State Road 50, on the right when traveling west. Reported permanently removed.
The decisive battle of the Civil War in New Mexico was fought at the summit of Glorieta Pass on March 28, 1862. Union troops won the battle when a party of Colorado Volunteers burned the Confederate supply wagons, thus destroying Southern hopes . . . — Map (db m119814) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Glorieta — 116 — Glorieta Pass BattlefieldNational Historic Landmark, 1961
On State Highway 50 0.8 miles east of Interstate 25, on the right when traveling east.
The Civil War battle fought in this pass is often referred to as the "Gettysburg of the West." Union forces dashed Confederate strategy to seize the southwest's major supply base at Fort Union; Colorado and California were to be next. The Texas . . . — Map (db m119813) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), La Cienega — Golondrinas Old Cienega Village Museum
On Los Pinos Road just east of Paseo Real (County Road 54), on the right when traveling west.
Established in the 1700, Rancho de Las Golondrinas was a paraje, or stopping place, which provided a welcome respite to weary travelers along the Camino Real well into the 19th century. The site is now a living historical museum which features a . . . — Map (db m64956) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Lamy — Galisteo Basin / Southern Rockies
On U.S. 285 at Old Lamy Trail (County Road 33), on the right when traveling south on U.S. 285.
Galisteo Basin. The extensive lowland south of here is called Galisteo basin, a sag in the earth’s crust where rock layers are depressed and thickened. It is one of the northernmost basins in the Basin and Range province in New Mexico and is . . . — Map (db m55295) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Nambe Pueblo — The St. Francis Women's ClubNambe Pueblo
On State Road 503 3.2 miles east of U.S. 84, on the right when traveling west.
The St. Francis Women's Club was instrumental in raising funds to rebuild San Francisco de Asís Church, which had been condemned and demolished in about 1960. Their main fundraiser was the annual Fourth of July Ceremonial, featuring dances of . . . — Map (db m32833) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Pojoaque — Feliciana Tapia Viarrial (1904-1988)Pojoaque Pueblo
On Cities of Gold Road - frontage (U.S. 84) 0.2 miles north of Viarrial Road (U.S. 285), on the right.
Feliciana Tapia Viarrial helped establish today's Pueblo of Pojoaque. Pojoaque, or Posuwageh, water drinking place, is a Tewa village founded circa A.D. 900. By 1919, the Pojoaque homelands were severely diminished. Most members left . . . — Map (db m32835) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), San Ildefonso Pueblo — Maria Montoya Martinez, (Povika, Pond Lily)(ca. 1886-1980) — San Ildefonso Pueblo —
On State Road 502 at milepost 12.5 at Povi Kaa Drive (Road 401), on the right when traveling west on State Road 502.
Maria Martinez was a self-taught potter who helped elevate Pueblo pottery to a respected art form. She and her husband Julian were successful polychrome potters and together revived black pottery. Their work improved the economic conditions of the . . . — Map (db m45657) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), San Ildefonso Pueblo — Pueblo of San Ildefonso
On State Road 502 at milepost 12.5 at Povi Kaa Drive (Road 401), on the right when traveling west on State Road 502.
In the 1500’s, migrants from the Pajarito Plateau joined their Tewa-speaking relatives at San Ildefonso. The pueblo is famous as the home of the late María Martínez and other makers of polished black pottery. The modern church, a replica of that of . . . — Map (db m45659) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz de la Cañada / Santa Cruz Plaza on the Camino Real
On South McCurdy Road (County Road 583) 0.1 miles north of Santa Cruz Road (State Road 76), on the left when traveling north.
(side one) Santa Cruz de la Cañada In 1695, Governor Diego de Vargas founded his first town, Santa Cruz de la Cañada, designed to protect the Spanish frontier north of Santa Fe. The church, which still stands, was constructed in . . . — Map (db m45673) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — CIP 2003.1 — “Homage to the Burro”by Charles Southard — City of Santa Fe 1% for Art in Public Places —
On West San Francisco Street just west of Galisteo Street, on the right when traveling west.
Wood peddlers, farmers and merchants went through Burro Alley. Burros economically served the many cultures of New Mexico. For many years the people of Santa Fe relied on the burro for their welfare. — Map (db m54958) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 2 — 1540 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
Seeking to expand the domain of the King of Spain in 1540, Francisco Vásquez de Coronado led an expedition of over 1,000 men and women north from Mexico into what is now Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. The Spanish explorers, in . . . — Map (db m76166) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 3 — 1598 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta east of Otero Street.
The viceroy of New Spain appointed Juan de Oñate as New Mexico’s first governor and directed him to settle the area along the upper Rio Grande. Accompanied by 200 settlers and over 7,000 head of livestock, Oñate arrived in New Mexico and established . . . — Map (db m76183) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 4 — 1610 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
On Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
New Mexico’s third governor, Pedro de Peralta was instructed to relocate the capital to a more central location. He founded the Villa de Santa Fe, or Town of Holy Faith. The villa was named for a city of Spain built by King Ferdinand and Queen . . . — Map (db m76198) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 5 — 1680 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
In the seventeenth century New Mexico was plagued by drought, conflicts between civil and church authorities, and extreme demands placed by the Spanish settlers on the native population. The latter situation caused a deterioration so severe that by . . . — Map (db m76202) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 6 — 1692 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
Under the direction of Don Diego de Vargas, the Spanish returned to recapture New Mexico after twelve years of exile in El Paso. In an attempt to encourage settlement of the land in the Rio Grande Valley, Don Diego de Vargas issued land grants for . . . — Map (db m76222) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 7 — 1712 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
In order to fulfill a promise that Don Diego de Vargas made, the government leaders of Santa Fe issued a proclamation calling for an annual fiesta to commemorate the peaceful reentry of the Spanish into Santa Fe in 1692. This annual celebration held . . . — Map (db m76236) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 8 — 1776 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
When the Declaration of Independence was signed, Santa Fe was already 166 years old. English and American explorers and traders replaced the French as a source of concern to Spanish officials in New Mexico. The successful American War of . . . — Map (db m76238) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 9 — 1821 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street. Reported missing.
Map (db m76239) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 10 — 1848 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
In May of 1846, U.S. President James K. Polk ordered the invasion of Mexico by U.S. troops, thus beginning the Mexican War. Three months later, General Stephen Watts Kearney led a victorious U.S. Army unopposed across northern New Mexico and into . . . — Map (db m76263) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 11 — 1862 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
Shortly after the Civil War began, the Confederacy turned its attention to the Southwest, and in February, 1862, three thousand three hundred troops under the command of Confederate General Sibley, defeated the Union troops at Valverde, raised the . . . — Map (db m76264) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 12 — 1876 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
While the nation was celebrating the Centennial, Santa Fe was into its 266th year. Although the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildago guaranteed the property of Hispanics and Indians, problems in the interpretation of Spanish and Mexican land laws worked to . . . — Map (db m76269) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 13 — 1912 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
In 1906, Congress passed an act that would enable New Mexico and Arizona to become one large state. The residents in Arizona voted against the act, while the New Mexicans voted for it. It was not until 1912 that the opposing forces were reconciled . . . — Map (db m76270) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 14 — 1926 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
Every year since 1926, when Will Shuster and Jacques Cartier created the image, Santa Fe and friends have been able to release their ties to depression, gloom and uncertainty by burning a symbol of these misfortunes . . . Zozobra! The burning of the . . . — Map (db m76273) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 15 — 1945 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
During World War II, the federal government set up a secret facility in Los Alamos to coordinate the Manhattan Project, resulting in the development of the first atomic bomb. On July 16, 1945, the atomic bomb was exploded at “Trinity . . . — Map (db m76309) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 16 — 1960 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
Santa Fe celebrated its 350th anniversary. During that year, special guests Maria Teresa Perez-Balsera and Maria Luisa Perez-Balsera arrived from Spain. The two ladies are direct descendants of Captain-General Don Diego de Vargas, the central figure . . . — Map (db m76311) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 17 — 1976 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
On Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
Santa Fe, now 366 years old, joined the rest of the United States in celebrating the nation’s 200th birthday. New Mexico and the entire Southwest continued to see tremendous expansion and population growth with the influx of migration from the east. . . . — Map (db m76316) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 18 — 1982 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
On Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
While responding to a request to give the Last Rites to a dying man, Franciscan Father Reynaldo Rivera, rector at St. Francis Cathedral, was kidnapped and brutally murdered, sending Santa Fe and the entire state into shock. Ironically, Father Rivera . . . — Map (db m76317) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 19 — 1985 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
By proclamation of the City Council, Santa Fe celebrated its 375th anniversary. During the year, this property was donated to the city by Archbishop Robert Sanchez and the Santa Fe Fiesta Council. These gifts, together with appropriations by the . . . — Map (db m76319) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 375th Anniversary of Santa FeA Gift to Visitors — Commemorative Walkway Park —
On Paseo De Peralta at the Entrance to Hillside Park, on the left when traveling east on Paseo De Peralta.
Santa Fe is the oldest capital city in the United States, a successful blend of three cultures and yet a modern city of over 50,000 residents. The Commemorative Walkway Park, constructed in 1986, provides a historical walk through Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m76131) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 1 — 500 A.D. — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Near Paseo de Peralta near Otero Street.
From 500 A.D. onward, New Mexico underwent a number of comparatively rapid changes. The people throughout the western two-thirds of the state became increasingly restricted to smaller and smaller areas resulting in the development of many regional . . . — Map (db m76136) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — A Building Stood Here Before 1680
On East Palace Avenue west of Cathedral Place, on the right when traveling west.
A building stood here before 1680. It was wrecked in the Great Indian Uprising. This house incorporates what remains. — Map (db m55708) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — A Two Way StreetAmelia White Park — Santa Fe National Historic Trail —
On Old Santa Fe Trail (Old U.S. 66) west of Camino Corrales, on the left when traveling east.
The Santa Fe Trail passed through what is now Amelia White Park. The paved road to the right, Old Santa Fe Trail, follows the path and ruts of the original trail route, whose travelers came from a variety of backgrounds. From the start, Hispanic . . . — Map (db m76487) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Amelia Elizabeth White / Mary Cabot Wheelwright(1878-1972) / (1878-1958)
Near Interstate 25 at milepost 269, 1.5 miles west of Waldo Canyon Road (County Road 57).
(side one) Amelia Elizabeth White (1878-1972) Amelia Elizabeth White worked tirelessly to promote Indian art and to preserve Santa Fe's heritage. A philanthropist and community activist, she donated land for the Laboratory of . . . — Map (db m45484) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Annexation of New Mexico
On East Palace Avenue at Old Santa Fe Trail, on the left when traveling west on East Palace Avenue.
In this plaza Gen. S. W. Kearney, U.S.A. proclaimed the peaceable annexation of New Mexico. Aug. 19, 1846. — Map (db m45577) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Bicentennial Celebration / La Bajada
On State Road 25 1.5 miles west of Waldo Canyon Road, on the right when traveling north.
This is a two sided marker Side A: Bicentennial Celebration This facility was built by the New Mexico State Highway Department to commemorate the bicentennial birthday of the United States. Located 15 miles south of the . . . — Map (db m55150) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Billy The Kid
On West San Francisco Street at Galisteo Street, on the left when traveling west on West San Francisco Street.
The notorious New Mexico outlaw, also known as William Bonney, was captured and sucessfully imprisoned for the last time in the downstairs jail housed in this, the Cornell Building, at 208 W. San Francisco St., Santa Fe, from December 27, 1880 to . . . — Map (db m73714) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 115 — Cañoncito at Apache Canyon
On Old Las Vegas Highway (State Road 2108 Frontage Road) at Sleeping Dog Road, on the left when traveling west on Old Las Vegas Highway.
Strategically located where the Santa Fe Trail emerges from Glorieta Pass, Cañoncito is where the New Mexico Governor Manuel Armijo weakly defended New Mexico against the American Army in 1846. In 1862, Union forces destroyed a Confederate supply . . . — Map (db m119815) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Captain Diego Arias de Quiros
On East Palance Avenue just west of Cathedral Place, on the right when traveling west.
In 1697 this property was granted to Captain Diego Arias de Quiros by Spanish royal decree for his part in the reconquest of New Mexico with De Vargas. In 1879 bought by L. Bradford Prince, later Territorial Governor. In 1942 bought by Field estate . . . — Map (db m55706) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Cross of the MartyrsCruz de los Mártires
On Paseo de la Loma just north of Paseo de la Cuma, on the left when traveling north.
In 1598 a group of Spanish colonists, led by Juan de Oñate of Zacatecas, Mexico, established a settlement along the banks of the Rio Grande north of present-day Española. In 1610 Governor Pedro de Peralta relocated the capital of the province to . . . — Map (db m73092) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Don Diego de Vargas Zapata Luján Ponce de León, El Marques de la Nava de Barcinas1643–1704 — Resettled New Mexico Twelve Years after Pueblo Revolt of 1680 —
On Cathedral Place north of East San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling north.
Don Diego de Vargas Zapata Luján Ponce de León, born 1643 in Madrid, Spain, served the crown as Governor of New Mexico from 1691–1697 and 1703–1704. Vargas was a devout Christian with a strong devotion to Nuestra Señora La Conquistadora, . . . — Map (db m76234) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Don Juan Bautista de Anza
On South Guadalupe Street north of West De Vargas Street, on the right when traveling north.
Don Juan Bautista de Anza, outstanding Spanish governor of New Mexico (1776–1787), explored a new road from Santa Fe to Arispe, Sonora, in 1780. This plaque is placed in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of that historic journey. Don . . . — Map (db m76950) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — El Palacio Real
On West Palace Avenue west of Old Santa Fe Trail, on the right when traveling west.
Fortress and Castle built by order of the Spanish crown 1610-1612 Seat of Government under three flags–Spanish, Mexican & American- From 1610 to 1910 the residence of over a hundred Governors & Captains General The . . . — Map (db m45588) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — End of Santa Fe Trail
On East San Francisco Street at Old Santa Fe Trail, on the left when traveling east on East San Francisco Street.
This stone marks the end of the Santa Fe Trail 1822 – 1879 — Map (db m45576) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Fray Angélico Chávez(1910 – 1996)
On Washington Avenue 0.1 miles north of East Palace Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Priest – Poet – Historian – Archivist Artist – Author – Biographer – Genealogist And native-born New Mexican Major, U.S. Army – W.W. II & Korean Conflict “THE LOVE I Love is one, . . . — Map (db m72746) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Gold and Turquoise
Near Interstate 25 at milepost 269, 1.5 miles east of Waldo Canyon Road (County Road 57).
(side one) First gold placer mining west of the Mississippi began with the discovery of the precious metal in the rugged Ortiz Mountains south of here in 1828, 21 years before the California gold rush. Since then, the district has . . . — Map (db m45477) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Hitching Post at the End of the Trail1776 – 1976
On Washington Avenue at East Palace Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Washington Avenue.
Roadrunner Cowbelles dedicate this hitching post at the end of the trail to American cattlemen and their horses for their glorious role in winning the West. — Map (db m72745) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Hyde Memorial State Park
On Hyde Park Road (State Road 475 at milepost 15) east of Gonzales Road, on the right when traveling east.
This park is named after Benjamin Talbot Hyde, devoted educator of America’s youth. His family donated the 350 acres which constitutes the park to the State of New Mexico in 1934. Situated at an elevation of 8,500 feet in the scenic Sangre de Cristo . . . — Map (db m73259) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 712 — Inez Bushner Gill (1918–1982) and Maralyn Budke (1936–2010)
On Don Gaspar Avenue 0.1 miles north of South Capitol Place, on the left when traveling south.
Front: Inez Bushner Gill impressed governors, legislators and journalists with her fiscal expertise. Among the original staff of the Legislative Council Service when it was founded in 1951, she served as fiscal analyst and principal staff for . . . — Map (db m119928) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Jémez Mountains
On State Road 502 at milepost 13.5, 0.9 miles east of Povi Kaa Drive, on the right when traveling west.
(side one) On the skyline to the west are the Jémez Mountains where tremendous volcanic eruptions a million years ago created a huge caldera some 15 miles in diameter that now forms beautiful Valle Grande set amid a ring of volcanic peaks. . . . — Map (db m45655) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Kateri Tekakwitha1656–1680
On Cathedral Place at East San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling north on Cathedral Place.
First Indian of North America to be Promoted a Saint — Map (db m54967) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — La Castrense† 1760–1859
On East San Francisco Street at Santa Fe Plaza, on the right when traveling east.
On this site stood the memorable Chapel of The Lady of Light, often called the “Castrense” which marked the northernmost limit of Mexican Baroque style. Here in Santa Fe flourished the Hispano-American civilization which this Chapel . . . — Map (db m64841) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Lamy Building
On Old Santa Fe Trail at East De Vargas Street, on the right when traveling north on Old Santa Fe Trail.
Built in 1878, the Lamy Building was originally part of St. Michael's College. The lower two floors, which remain today, were constructed of adobe. The third floor, with its mansard roof and domed cupola, was framed in wood, probably to reduce the . . . — Map (db m45594) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Laura Gilpin (1891-1979)
Near Interstate 25 1.5 miles west of Waldo Canyon Road (County Road 57).
(side one) An outstanding photographer of the twentieth century, Laura Gilpin is best known for capturing southwestern cultures and landscapes on film. When her car ran out of gas on the Navajo reservation in 1930, she began . . . — Map (db m45483) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Maria Gertrudis BarcelóDoña Tules — (c. 1800-1852) —
Near Interstate 25 at milepost 269, 1.5 miles west of Waldo Canyon Road (County Road 57).
(side one) Maria Gertrudis Barceló or Doña Tules, a notorious gambler and courtesan, operated a gambling house and saloon on Burro Alley in Santa Fe. She traveled up El Camino Real from Sonora, Mexico in 1815. Bishop Jean-Baptiste Lamy . . . — Map (db m45479) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 574 — Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968)
On East Alameda Street at Old Santa Fe Trail, on the left when traveling west on East Alameda Street.
(side one) Four Sisters of Loretto, Mother Magdalen Hayden and Sisters Roberta Brown, Rosana Dant and Catherine Mahoney, arrived in Santa Fe from Kentucky on September 26, 1852. In January 1853 they established Our Lady of Light Academy, . . . — Map (db m119764) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 739 — Route 66
On Old Las Vegas Highway (State Highway 300) 0.3 miles north of U.S. 285, on the right when traveling south.
You are traveling an early alignment of U.S. 66, perhaps the most well-known road to follow this historic transportation corridor. A Spanish mission trail to Pecos Pueblo, the Santa Fe Trail and the National Old Trails Road all predate the Mother . . . — Map (db m119914) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa FeOn the Camino Real — Population 58,000 - Elevation 7,045 —
On Cerrillos Road (State Road 14) west of Camino Carlos Rey, on the right when traveling north.
Santa Fe, the oldest capital city in the United States, was established in 1610 as the seat of the Spanish colonial government for the Province of New Mexico. The Palace of the Governors, used by the Spanish, Mexican, and Territorial governors, has . . . — Map (db m45575) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe Korean War Memorial
On Old Santa Fe Trail west of Camino Corrales, on the left when traveling east.
Remember those Santa Feans who went to fight in the mud, the snow, and the choking dust of a strange land: Korea 1950–1953. — Map (db m80479) WM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe OperaEntrance One Mile Ahead
On U.S. 285 near Opera Drive, on the right when traveling south.
The Santa Fe Opera, founded in 1957, has won worldwide acclaim for the high standards of its presentations and the success of its apprentice program. World and American premieres as well as standard operatic favorites are presented here. Most operas . . . — Map (db m64870) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe Plaza
Near Lincoln Avenue at West Palace Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Santa Fe Plaza has been designated a National Historic Landmark The heart of Santa Fe since its founding by Spanish colonial Governor Don Pedro De Peralta in 1609-1610, this public space was a terminus of El Camino Real and the . . . — Map (db m71579) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Santa Fe Trail
On Old Santa Fe Trail at East San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling north on Old Santa Fe Trail.
This marks the route of the Santa Fe Trail, Kansas City to Santa Fe. 1822–1880. — Map (db m61884) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Sena Plaza
On East Palace Avenue at Cathedral Place, on the right when traveling west on East Palace Avenue.
When Don Juan Sena bought this land in 1796, Santa Fe belonged to Spain. When Major José D. Sena built this house for his bride Doña Isabel Cabeza de Baca in 1831, Santa Fe belonged to Mexico. In 1846 Santa Fe became part of the United States. — Map (db m55709) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Seton Village
On Old Las Vegas Highway 0.1 miles north of Seton Village Road, on the right when traveling south.
Ernest Thompson Seton (1860-1946), naturalist, artist, writer, authority on Indian lore, and first Chief Scout of the Boy Scouts of America, lived here during the last part of his life. The village includes his home, art collection, library, and . . . — Map (db m55151) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Sisters of Charity
Near Interstate 25 at milepost 269, 1.5 miles west of Waldo Canyon Road (County Road 57).
(side one) The first Sisters of Charity arrived in New Mexico Territory in 1865 from Cincinnati at the request of Bishop Lamy with the mission of serving all people regardless of race, religion or ability to pay. Hundreds of sisters . . . — Map (db m45482) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Site of Santa Fe’s First ChapelDemolished 1714
On Washington Avenue at East Palace Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Washington Avenue.
Also used as two-story defensive tower for Palace of the Governors during the 1600’s. Gen. Don Diego de Vargas was probably buried beneath the floor of this chapel in 1704. — Map (db m64842) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The "Oldest" House
On East De Vargas Street west of Old Sante Fe Trail, on the left when traveling east.
The Historic Santa Fe Foundation Finds this building worthy of preservation The "Oldest" House (West Portion) — Map (db m45591) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The Founding of Santa FeDon Pedro De Peralta — 1610 —
On North Federal Place near Paseo De Peralta and Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
(right tablet) On March 30, 1609, the Viceroy of New Spain appointed Don Pedro de Peralta Governor and Captain-General of New Mexico, instructing him to proceed to New Mexico with the greatest dispatch accompanied by twelve soldiers and . . . — Map (db m76340) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The Old Spanish Trail
On West Marcy Street near Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The Old Spanish Trail from Santa Fe to Los Angeles. In the years 1829 to 1848 pack mule trains regularly left the Santa Fe Plaza and northern New Mexico carrying woolen goods produced in New Mexico bound for California. Horses and mules were . . . — Map (db m64852) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The Spitz Clock
On West Palace Street at Lincoln Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West Palace Street.
The Spitz Jewelry Store was established on the Plaza in 1881, and a clock, without works, was placed in front of the store to advertise the wares offered. Near the turn of the century, this “clock” was replaced by a functioning sidewalk . . . — Map (db m64966) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Three Wise WomenEva Scott Fenyes, 1849-1930 Leonora Scott Muse Curtin, 1879-1972
Near Interstate 25 at milepost 269, 1.5 miles west of Waldo Canyon Road (County Road 57).
(side one) Three generations of one family worked more than 100 years to preserve the cultural heritage of New Mexico. Eva Fenyes created an artistic and photographic record of missions and adobe buildings, and preserved Spanish . . . — Map (db m45481) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 20 — To the Future — Commemorative Walkway Park —
T O   T H E   F U T U R E — Map (db m76321) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — To the Heroes
Near East San Francisco Street.
(South face): To the Heroes of the Federal Army, who fell at the Battle of Valverde. Fought with the Rebels February 21, 1862 (West face): To the Heroes of the Federal Army, who fell at the Battles of Cañon . . . — Map (db m45586) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — U.S.S. Santa Fe CL-60
On San Francisco Street at Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling east on San Francisco Street.
The officers and crew of the light cruiser, U.S.S. Santa Fe, dedicate this plaque to the memory of the gallant men who fought and served aboard her from 1942 to 1946. — Map (db m54960) WM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Sante Fe — San Miguel Church
Oldest church structure in U.S.A. The adobe walls and altar were built by Tlaxcalan Indians from Mexico under the direction of Franciscan Padres. ca. 1610 — Map (db m116019) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Tesuque — Tesuque Rain GodsTesuque Pueblo
Near West Frontage Road (U.S. 285 Frontage Road at milepost 175), 0.2 miles north of Camel Rock Road (Business U.S. 285).
Seated clay figurines known as rain gods or "rain catchers" spring from Tesuque Pueblos's deep-rooted figurative pottery tradition. Popularized in the 1880's, Tesuque women made and sold the figurines in a variety of colors and designs, and earned . . . — Map (db m32853) HM

82 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement