Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Taos County New Mexico Historical Markers

 
Embudo Stream Gaging Station Original Sign image, Touch for more information
By Thomas Chris English, June 7, 2011
Embudo Stream Gaging Station Original Sign
New Mexico (Taos County), Dixon — Rio Grande Gaging StationU.S. Geological Survey — Established 1889
First Gaging Station established by U.S. Geological Survey — Map (db m45113) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Ojo Caliente — Santa Cruz† † †
The Santa Cruz Catholic Church was built after 1793 and was licensed on January 13, 1811, and blessed on January 3, 1812. The restoration of the historic Santa Cruz Catholic Church of Ojo Caliente, New Mexico, began in April, 1991, by the . . . — Map (db m64962) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Picuris Pueblo — Maria Ramita Simbola Martinez "Summer Harvest" (1884-1969)Cora Durand (1904-1981),Virginia Duran (1904-1998) — Picuris Pueblo
Maria Ramita Simbola Martinez, Cora Durand, and Virginia Duran helped to preserve the distinctive micaceous pottery tradition that is important in Picuris and other nearby pueblos. Made with locally mined mica-rich clay, these unusual pots have a . . . — Map (db m43808) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Pilar — Pilar
In 1795, twenty-five families were granted land along the Río Grande at Pilar, then known as Cieneguilla. The Battle of Cieneguilla was fought at Embudo Mountain near here in March 1854. A large force of Utes and Apaches inflicted heavy losses on . . . — Map (db m69869) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Rancho de Taos — Captive Women and Children of Taos County / María Rosa Villapando, (ca. 1725-1830)
(side one) Captive Women and Children of Taos County In August 1760, around sixty women and children were taken captive in a Comanche raid on Ranchos de Taos. That raid is an example of the danger of living on New Mexico's . . . — Map (db m45719) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Rancho de Taos — William J. KlauerFebruary 15, 1909 – February 21, 2001 — In Honor and Memory of
The Klauer family of Dubuque, Iowa, stewards of the Taba Valley Overlook since 1920, transferred ownership of this property to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management on March 31, 2001, with the help of the Trust for Public Land and the Taos Land Trust. . . . — Map (db m64879) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Ranchos de Taos — San Francisco de Asis ChurchRanchos de Taos, New Mexico
This Mission Church is one of the oldest churches in America dedicated to San Francisco de Asis. It was constructed between 1813 and 1815 under the direction of the Franciscan Fray José Benito Pereyro. It is an outstanding example of adobe, mission . . . — Map (db m45725) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Rio Lucio — Pueblo of Picuris
The Pueblo of Picuris, first visited by Spaniards in 1591, was described as being 7 to 8 stories high. In the 18th century Picuris cooperated with the Spaniards against the raids of the Plains Indians. The church, the third at this pueblo, dates . . . — Map (db m44283) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Don Fernando de Taos
The Town of Taos was originally established on May 1, 1796 when 63 families who had petitioned Governor Don Fernando Chacón were placed in possession of the Don Fernando de Taos land grant by the Alcalde of the Pueblo of Taos, Antonio José Ortíz. . . . — Map (db m66698) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Don Fernando de Taos Plaza
This peaceful and historic plaza, shaded by cottonwood trees in summer and blanketed by snow in winter has been the site of military action, fiestas, and fiery speeches. Spanish colonists settled at scattered locations in this valley beginning . . . — Map (db m66543) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Historic Taos
Welcome visitors and Taosenos! You are invited to explore the diversity of this region through a self-guided tour. The two-hundred- year-old Taos Plaza, including the streets that radiate from it like spokes, forms the National Historic District of . . . — Map (db m66702) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Historic Taos Plaza
Capitan Hernan Alvarado and his conquistadors from the famous Francisco Vasquez de Coronado Expedition arrived here on August 29, 1540. It is estimated that the Tiwa Indians settled in this valley around 1350 A.D. The name Taos is believed to be an . . . — Map (db m66697) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Jack M. Campbell Highway — Taos to Tierra Amarilla
This road passes through some of the most spectacular scenery in the American Southwest. It is a key section of the east - west highway which brings visitors to this region from throughout the United States. Since this route became a reality through . . . — Map (db m58967) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Ledoux Street — Historic District
Ledoux Street was named after the French trapper and guide Antonine Ledoux, who settled in the area around 1844. Earlier the street was named after Charles Beaubien and then later Smith H. Simpson. The area was developed in the fortress style with . . . — Map (db m66865) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Padre Antonio José Martínez1793 – 1867
Born in Abiquiu, New Mexico, on January 17, 1793 to Don Severino Martínez and María del Carmen Santistevan (Martinez Hacienda), the life of the Presbyter Don Antonio José Martínez extended through the Spanish (1793-1820), Mexican (1821-1846), and . . . — Map (db m66666) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Palo Flechado PassElevation: 9101 ft
Palo Flechado (tree pierced with arrows) Pass was used by natives and newcomers traveling from the eastern plains to Taos by way of the Cimarron River. The name may be attributed to the Flecha de Palo Apache band (first mentioned by Juan de . . . — Map (db m45738) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Rio Grande Gorge Bridge
(Lower plaque) In recognition of George Lavender New Mexico State Highway Commissioner 1955-1961 for his dedicated efforts towards completion of this project for the benefit of Northern New Mexico (Upper . . . — Map (db m29664) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — TaosPopulation 3369 — Elevation 6983 ft.
The Spanish community of Taos developed two miles southwest of Taos Pueblo. It later served as a supply base for the “Mountain Men,” and was the home of Kit Carson who is buried here. Governor Charles Bent was killed here in the . . . — Map (db m66466) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — TaosPopulation 3369 — Elevation 6,983
The Spanish community of Taos developed two miles southwest of Taos Pueblo. It later served as a supply base for the “Mountain Men,” and was the home of Kit Carson who is buried here. Governor Charles Bent was killed here in the . . . — Map (db m73310) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Taos Canyon
In 1692, after having been driven from New Mexico by the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, the Spanish began to re-establish their rule. In one of the last battles of the reconquest, in September 1696, Governor Diego de Vargas defeated the Indians of Taos . . . — Map (db m45737) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Wheeler Peak13,161 Feet Above Sea Level — Highest Point in New Mexico
Named in honor of Major George Montague Wheeler (1832-1909) who for ten years led a party of surveyors and Naturalists collecting geologic, biologic, planimetric, and topographic data in New Mexico and six other southwestern states. — Map (db m50743) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Trampas — Las Trampas
The village of Las Trampas was established in 1751 by 12 families from Santa Fe, led by Juan de Argüello, who received a land grant from Governor Tomás Vélez Cachupín. The church of San José de Gracia is one of the finest surviving . . . — Map (db m32123) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement