On Action Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated October 6, 1997.
The Allen-Steinheim Museum was built between 1876 and 1890 by Alfred University's second president, Jonathan Allen. A natural history museum, the Gothic ediface was built from approximately 8,000 different specimens of . . . — — Map (db m75795) HM
On Saxon Drive 0.2 miles east of South Main Street when traveling east.
was provided through the generosity of Stephen Clarke Saunders '58 and Barbara Potter Saunders '60, and was dedicated in September 1990 as a remembrance of the heritage of Alfred University and as a memorial to the "Education King." William . . . — — Map (db m75759) HM
On Petrolia Road 0.1 miles east of Stony Lonesome Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west.
Driller & contractor from PA, who earned nickname of "Dry Hole Ben" by seldom promoting successful oil wells. His continued faith in paying quantities of oil in Allegany County let him drill many historical wells. Including the "Wildcat Well" on . . . — — Map (db m65539) HM
On Main Street (New York State Route 19) at East Hughes Street (County Route 26), on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
In honor of
the defenders of the Union
1861 - 1865
Sixth New York Cavalry
Enlisted from Allen, N.Y.
First . . . — — Map (db m75785) WM
On Willets Avenue (New York State Route 19) at Park Place, on the left when traveling north on Willets Avenue.
citizens of Amity
of the men
of the township
to their country
that their country . . . — — Map (db m75782) WM
On Main Street (New York State Route 417) at Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
The presence of oil in this area of the Allegheny foothills has been known by white men since 1627, when a French missionary reported that the Indians used "a good kind of oil" for medicinal purposes from the nearby Seneca Oil Spring. Production . . . — — Map (db m88286) HM
On East Hill Road (County Route 46) 0.2 miles east of New York State Route 19, on the right when traveling east.
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge
1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00.
1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating
1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in . . . — — Map (db m75913) HM
On New York State Route 19 at County Route 49, on the right when traveling north on State Route 19.
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge 1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00. 1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating 1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in protest . . . — — Map (db m75916) HM
On Fairview Road (County Route 36) 0.1 miles south of Freedom Road (County Route 3), on the left when traveling north.
This building was originally known as the First Presbyterian Church of Centerville. Church members purchased this lot in 1858 and began construction of the church, completing it in 1859 at a cost of $3,000. — — Map (db m75936) HM
Hanging Bog is a man-made pond built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's on then federally owned land. In 1962 Hanging Bog was transferred to New York State. The pond is referred to as Hanging Bog because of its unique mat of floating . . . — — Map (db m86561) HM
On Oil Springs Road 0.2 miles east of Cuba Lake Road (County Route 50), on the left when traveling east.
1627 Seneca Oil Spring 1927 Forms the first chapter in the development of the petroleum industry in America - a gigantic world enterprise transforming modern life. 1627 Oil in American continent first recorded in this region by the Franciscan . . . — — Map (db m86604) HM
Near Main Street (New York State Route 275) at Richardson Avenue.
Stands a monument marking the site of the first commercial well in the Richburg Oil Field. Completed April 27, 1881. This marker was erected by local oil producers and the site provided by the Richburg Board of Education. — — Map (db m88333) HM