Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Broome County New York Historical Markers

 
Chenango Canal Marker image, Touch for more information
By Scott J. Payne, November 14, 2015
Chenango Canal Marker
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Chenango Canal
The southern end of the 97-mile canal (1837-78) was at the river confluence. It moved Pa coal, local lumber & goods to the Erie Canal. Canal Society of NYS — Map (db m92919) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Freedom Trail

Fugitive slaves were aided on the Underground Railroad at this site.

Dr. S. Hand house & nearby M.E. Zion and A.M.E. Bethel Church — Map (db m101993) HM

New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Historic North Side-Bingham's Patent
Historic North Side Bingham's Patent Near this site is the northern boundary of the land grant of William Bingham. This was the city limit until April 4, 1890 — Map (db m93031) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Historic North Side-The Chenango Canal
Historic North Side The Chenango Canal Between 1837 and 1875 the canal linked Binghamton and Utica. Its general course followed the line of State St. which is built on the filled in canal bed. — Map (db m93029) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — In Honor of Rod Serling
In Honor of Rod Serling, Class of 1943 creator of "Twilight Zone" award winning dramatist playwright and lecturer 1924-1975 — Map (db m92985) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Indian Castle
Indian Castle Located near junction of Castle Creek with Chenango River. Called Otsiningo. Destroyed Aug. 18, 1779 during Sullivan Campaign — Map (db m93030) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Near This Point 18 August 1779
Near This Point 18 August 1779 Camped the army of James Clinton en route to join the forces of General John Sullivan in the expedition against the Iroquois and their British allies in the war of the American Revolution

Originally erected . . . — Map (db m92920) HM

New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Phelps Mansion Museum
Phelps Mansion Museum has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1973 by the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2015 — Map (db m92921) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Roberson Museum Sullivan-Clinton Museum Exhibit
A museum exhibit interprets the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign of 1779. The campaign destroyed Native American villages and crops throughout the Iroquois homeland. — Map (db m94628) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton
Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton 1779 An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of the English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending . . . — Map (db m93324) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Site of Peterson's Tavern
Site of Peterson's Tavern First meeting place of the newly incorporated village of Binghamton May 3, 1834 — Map (db m92915) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — The Bevier-Wright House
Built by Cornelius & Barbara Bevier circa 1850. Purchased 1889 by Otsego County native & Civil War veteran William Wright for 3,000.00. W. E. Wright was a carpenter, general contractor & proprietor of two stove & tinware stores in Binghamton. . . . — Map (db m94390) HM
New York (Broome County), Binghamton — The Quinn Farm James Quinn President
First Farm Bureau in the United States

In 1911 began the largest organization of farmers founded for the purpose of extending the science of agriculture.The growth of their idea resulted in the unparalleled productivity of American agriculture . . . — Map (db m93291) HM

New York (Broome County), Binghamton — Universalist
First society formed 1838 church erected this square facing Exchange St. in 1846, burned c. 1867 — Map (db m93290) HM
New York (Broome County), Chenango Forks — Lock 107
The stone walls visible here are parts of Lock 107 on the Chenango Canal, which opened in 1837. Constructed as a composite lock of stone lined with wooden planks, Lock 107 was repaired and rebuilt several times over the years. The last rebuild of . . . — Map (db m94370) HM
New York (Broome County), Chenango Forks — The Chenango Canal
The Chenango Canal was part of a vast network of canals that connected New York State's cities with the Great Lakes, the Hudson River and the Atlantic Ocean. Opened for navigation on May 6, 1837, the Chenango Canal carried people between the Erie . . . — Map (db m94410) HM
New York (Broome County), Corbettsville — Binghamton and Upper Susquehanna Historic New York
The valleys of the Upper Susquehanna River were natural routes for Indians, traders and settlers. Oquaga, near Windsor, was an Indian fur-trading post, and became an objective of the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign of 1779. From a dam at the outlet of . . . — Map (db m35164) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — Delaware County
Set apart from Ulster and Otsego Cos., 1797; Named for Delaware River, which was named for Lord Delaware, Governor of Virginia, 1609 — Map (db m92745) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — First Bank Building In Deposit
Historical Marker First Bank Building In Deposit 1869-1894 Knapp Brothers — Map (db m92917) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — Home of First Bank in Deposit
Historical Marker Home of First Bank in Deposit founded by, Charles Knapp, Esq. 1854 — Map (db m93292) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — Oldest Building In Deposit
Historical Marker Oldest Building In Deposit-1799 Formerly Rookery Tavern 1800-1870 — Map (db m92766) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — Revolutionary Cemetery
Historical Marker Revolutionary Cemetery War veterans of 1776 & 1812 Originally and Indian Burial Ground — Map (db m93203) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — Site Of First Store In Deposit
Site Of First Store In Deposit Built By Silas Crandall 1803 — Map (db m92918) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — This Boulder Marks The Fort Stanwix Treaty Line
This Boulder Marks The Fort Stanwix Treaty Line The deed from the Indians to the whites was signed November,5 1768 The line was run in 1769 from the Delaware River almost due north to the mouth of the Unadilla River It afterward became the . . . — Map (db m92769) HM
New York (Broome County), Deposit — Village of Deposit Incorporated 1811
Historical Marker Village of Deposit Incorporated 1811 Originally Cookhouse Site of John Hulce's home First permanent settler 1789 — Map (db m93293) HM
New York (Broome County), Harpursville — Robert Harpur 1731-1825
Revolutionary War Veteran Professor at Kings College Deputy Secretary of State Pioneer of Local Lands Namesake of Harpursville and Harpur College — Map (db m93548) HM
New York (Broome County), Port Crane — Chenango Canal 1837-1878
Here the towpath followed river and base of the hill (Sign reset in 2006) In Memory Of Leon DeanjouMap (db m23064) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — Old Canal Bed
Down the path are remains of the unfinished Chenango Canal extension. It was built in the 1860's — Map (db m94389) HM
New York (Broome County), Whitney Point — Gen. John Paterson 1744 - 1808

Revolutionary Patriot New York State Assemblyman United States Congressman Colonial Pioneer — Map (db m104535) WM

New York (Broome County), Whitney Point — M60 A3 Battle Tank [War Memorial]

Years in Production: 1960 - 1987 Manufacturer: Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, Chrysler Weight: 46 Tons Main Armament: 105mm (4.1in) M68 Gun Engine: V-12 Twin Turbo Diesel Top Speed: @30mph (road)

This display is in honor of all . . . — Map (db m104532) HM WM

New York (Broome County), Windsor — History of Old Onaquaga Valley
First People in the Valley The earliest inhabitants of this Susquehanna River valley were here more than 400 years ago. A 1614 map drawn by Dutch traders shows the existence of a village spelled Ogehage. Over time- and many different . . . — Map (db m94489) HM
New York (Broome County), Windsor — In Memory of "Wausaunia" Rebecca Kellogg Ashley
In Memory of "Wausaunia" Rebecca Kellogg Ashley Born Dec. 22, 1695, in Suffield, Mass. Died Aug 1757, Windsor N.Y.

Interpreter for the Indians at the "Old Fort," a mission station in charge of Rev. Gideon Hawley in 1748. — Map (db m94536) HM

New York (Broome County), Windsor — Ouaquaga Bridge
341' long double span lenticular bridge built in 1888. On National Historic Register 2003.Onaquaga, an Iroquois camp, destroyed in 1788 was nearby. — Map (db m94492) HM
New York (Broome County), Windsor — Sage Creek
Sage Creek named for Seth Sage, 1748-1822, captain in the American Revolution. — Map (db m92986) HM
New York (Broome County), Windsor — Windsor
David Hotchkiss founder, ca 1787, gave village green to Presbyterian Society 1802. Town of Windsor-1807 Village incorporated 1897 — Map (db m93053) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement