Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cattaraugus County New York Historical Markers

 
Allegany Veterans Memorial Marker - Detail image, Touch for more information
By Yugoboy, August 17, 2012
Allegany Veterans Memorial Marker - Detail
New York (Cattaraugus County), Allegany — Allegany Veterans Memorial
Allegany Veterans Memorial Casualties of WWI Michael O Connell Feb 15 1918 • Joseph Collins 27 Oct 3 1918 • Claude Slocum Oct 19 1918 • Pvt. Charles J Harbel 27 Nov 9 1918 • Sgt Maurice C Briody 24 1918 Casualties of WWII . . . — Map (db m60168) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — Ellicottville Town Hall
Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County, N.Y. was entered on the National Register of Historic Places April 4, 1973 — Map (db m60150) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — First Frame House
In Ellicottville, 1817 Early Courts of County and meetings of Board of Supervisors held here — Map (db m60149) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — Hinman Valley Wetland Complex
The Hinman Valley Wetland Complex consists of 100+ acres of open water, deep marsh, shallow marsh, wet meadow, and forested wetland habitats. The site originally contained over 60 acres of regulated wetland. In 2008, the New York State Department of . . . — Map (db m104945) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — In Memory of Those From Ellicottville
In Memory of Those from Ellicottville who served in World War I and World War II and especially the following who paid the supreme sacrifice Egbert L. Barnhard • William N. Burton • Douglass D. Dineen • Alton G. Eastman • Irvin T. Ebert • . . . — Map (db m60153) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — Jefferson Street Cemetery
Jefferson Street Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89102) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Cadiz
The first settlers arrived here in 1806 and this area was called Conrad's Mills. Later the name was changed to Cadiz. Dairy farming was the main occupation in this tiny hamlet within the Township of Franklinville. The famous Ontario Knife Company . . . — Map (db m86625) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Cadiz Cemetery
Cadiz Cemetery Earliest burial Abigail Curtis in 1837. Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Civil War veterans buried here. — Map (db m86623) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Franklinville Veterans Memorial — In Honor of Those Who Served
[left plaque] In memory of those who died in the service of their country. WWI Harry Alger, Gilbert Brown, George Button, George Carson, Claude Domes, Vernal Farrington, William Gavin, Clifford Guthrie, Harmon Hall, Henry Howard, Leighton . . . — Map (db m86612) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Peter T. Tenbroeck — Farmer, Public Benefactor and Founder of Tenebroeck Free Academy
Born in Somerset County, New Jersey in 1793, and moved to Farmersville, New York in 1816, with his home near this cemetery. Peter T. Tenbroeck and his immediate family are buried in this plot. Peter T. Tenbroeck was a successful farmer, was a . . . — Map (db m86627) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Freedom — Salem Welsh Church
Salem Welsh Church built 1855 has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m86649) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Freedom — Welsh Settlement
Welsh Settlement circa 1840, immigrants from Wales settled in Freedom and nearby towns and contributed to the economic, religious, and social life of the area. — Map (db m86648) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Great Valley — In Honor and Memory
In honor and memory of the men and women of this township who answered the call of their country — Map (db m89103) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Great Valley — 255 — Plank Road House
Built ca 1856 at junction of Ellicottville-Great Valley Plank Road & road to Franklinville. Served as hotel, livery & post office — Map (db m95789) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Hinsdale — Seneca Oil Spring
1627 first petroleum discovered in America 1 mi. north 1000 yds east. — Map (db m65537) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Knapp Creek — The Settlement of Knapp Creek
The Settlement of Knapp Creek, formerly known as Knapps Creek, was a genuine boomtown in the early days of the Bradford Oil Field, beginning about 1877. It was on a narrow gauge railroad and later an electric street car line. The town boasted a . . . — Map (db m60154) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Lyndon — Early School
Early School The North Lyndon school was built ca. 1844 and remained in use until 1947. The school still retains many of its original features. — Map (db m86611) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Olean — 1804-2004
In recognition of Olean's 200th birthday, we dedicate this prehistoric Olean conglomerate rock. In 1804 Major Adam Hoops bought a large parcel of land at Olean Point and founded our city. We celebrate that occasion and honor all of our citizens and . . . — Map (db m60155) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Olean — Historic Site - Home of Frank W. Higgins
Approximately 100 feet south of this spot stood the home of Frank W. Higgins. Elected State Senator in 1894 -- Lieut. Governor in 1902 -- Governor of the State of New York in 1905-06. A distinguished citizen and businessman who contributed greatly . . . — Map (db m60167) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Olean — Major Adam Hoops
In Memory of Major Adam Hoops A soldier of the Revolution and founder of Olean, N.Y. 1804 and to keep in remembrance the patriots of the War for Independence who are buried in Cattaraugus County, New York — Map (db m60156) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Perrysburg — Town of Perrysburg — Founded 1814
First named Perry from 1814 to 1818 in honor of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, the Lake Erie Hero in War of 1812.“Don’t Give Up The Ship”Township called Perrysburg after 1818. — Map (db m78973) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Persia — Ahaz Allen
Ahaz Allen Pioneer settler in town of Persia in 1810. Built first saw and grist mill, bridge, frame house, Forty Rd. Gave land for cemetery in 1836. — Map (db m104212) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Allegany State Park's Fancher Cabin
Albert T Fancher, former New York State senator and chairman of the Allegany State Park Commission, had this colonial-style lodge built in the summer of 1927. The interior includes a large, combination living and dining room with a massive stone . . . — Map (db m77545) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Civilian Conservation Corps
1933-1942 Allegany State Park - Salamanca, New York Camp SP-50 - Red House - Company 1250 Camp SP-51 - Red House - Company 249 Camp SP-19 - Red House - Company 2218 Dedicated this 7th day of October 1990 to the memory of those young men . . . — Map (db m77525) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Outdoor Museum
A foundation is all that remains of a pavillion-style, outdoor museum, built by Company 249 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.). It was one of the first C.C.C. projects completed in Allegany State Park.

Articles in the Salamanca . . . — Map (db m77526) HM

New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Ski Jumping — at Allegany State Park
This is the site of Allegany State Park's 30-meter and 50-meter ski jumps. The two jumps and the park's ski slopes at Bova were Depression-era projects constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps and New York State's Temporary Emergency Relief . . . — Map (db m77524) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Stoddard Hollow
On this site in 1859, the first log house was built on what is now known as Allegany State Park. It was built by Giles Stoddard Jr., and his wife Sarah Niles Card on 132 acres then known as Stoddard's Hollow. Giles Stoddard Jr. help[ed] fell the . . . — Map (db m98119) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — The School in the Forest
Welcome to Science Lake, a favorite park attraction with an interesting history. Science Lake was built in 1926 as the new location for a science camp popularly called "The School in the Forest." Chauncey J. Hamlin, president of the Buffalo . . . — Map (db m104901) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Weather Station
DeForrest A. Mattison, a park forest supervisor and unpaid observer for the U.S. Weather Bureau, set up the park's first weather station in September 1924. First located in the Quaker area, the station was moved to this site in 1929. In subsequent . . . — Map (db m77544) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — Dedicated to Those from the Salamanca Area
Dedicated to those from the Salamanca area who gave their lives in the Indo-China War Keith Franklin, Orrie Macomb Jr. Lloyd Darling, Arnold Robbins Victor Smith, Charles Harrison Jr. Gregg Smith Also to all other people from all nations . . . — Map (db m98148) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — Fire Observation Stations: / Fire Tower is Reborn — the First Line of Defense
[left panel] In the early 20th century, approximately one million acres in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves were destroyed by fire. In response, New York State passed legislation that created a forest patrol service and funded the . . . — Map (db m89109) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — From the Mountains of Afghanistan
From the mountains of Afghanistan and deserts of Iraq these men and women gave devotion and sacrifice. They are worthy of much greater recognition than words can say. Let us pay tribute to the heroism of those who served and those who gave . . . — Map (db m98238) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — In Memory of Our Dead Comrades
In Memory of Our Dead Comrades — Map (db m89104) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — Sweet Water Spring
The Sweet Water Spring was discovered in the late 1880s when the Patterson Lumber Company, blasting to create a logging road over South Mountain, ruptured an underground vein that produced an abundance of free-flowing water. Work crews enjoyed the . . . — Map (db m60092) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — These Gates Erected by Salamanca
These gates erected by Salamanca Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution are a tribute to the memory of those who served in World War I Dedicated May 30, 1931 — Map (db m98150) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Yorkshire — First Frame House
First Frame House in town of Yorkshire Built in 1820 by Isaac Williams Opened as a tavern 1822 — Map (db m86650) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Yorkshire — Upper Cattaraugus Valley — Historic New York
Erie Indians were the first inhabitants of this region. In 1654, they were driven out by the Senecas who occupied several sites along the banks of Cattaraugus Creek. The Cattaraugus, the principal stream of many that divide the Cattaraugus Hills, . . . — Map (db m86681) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement