Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Columbia County New York Historical Markers

 
Iron Works Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, August 17, 2019
Iron Works Marker
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Iron Works
Site of iron works, first in Colony of New York, had 4 forges. Founded by Robert R. Livingston 1743. Demolished 1854 — Map (db m137997) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Town of Ancram
Named in honor of the ancestral home of the Livingstons at Teviotdale, Roxburghshire Scotland — Map (db m138001) HM
New York (Columbia County), Austerlitz — Edna St. Vincent Millay
Noted American poet, resided in this hamlet of Austerlitz at her home Steepletop from 1920 until 1950. — Map (db m135628) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Chatham
First known as Groats' Corners. Settled about 1811. Incorporated 1869. Earlier renowned as an important terminal on three railraods. — Map (db m135977) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Chatham War Memorial
In grateful memory of the services rendered by the men of Chatham, that the principles of this Republic might br preserved. Rededicated in celebration of our bicentennial Nov. 11, 1976 — Map (db m135980) WM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Groat’s Tavern
First building erected in Chatham - built by William Thomas in 1811 - Chatham was first called Groat's Corners — Map (db m135931) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — The American Legion
Held its first post meeting in Columbia County in this building when Chatham Post 42 convened here July 12, 1919 — Map (db m135957) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — 133 — Tracy Memorial Village Hall
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m135960) HM
New York (Columbia County), Claverack — 275 — Shaw Bridge
Double span scientific design bowstring truss bridge constructed 1870. Design patented by Squire Whipple of Utica in 1841. — Map (db m133079) HM
New York (Columbia County), Claverack — Washington Seminary
Early Columbia County school established here 1779. Later became Claverack College and Hudson River Institute until its closing in 1902. — Map (db m136449) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Brick House Built in 1804
by Dr. Thomas Brodhead The bricks were made here of clay kneaded by cattle being driven over it — Map (db m136309) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — First Public School in New York
Was established at Clermont in 1791 — Map (db m136307) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Highland Turnpike
Incorporated in 1804. An early road — Map (db m137800) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Saint Luke's Church Clermont
Built 1859 as an Episcopal Church Transferred to Clermont in 1973 — Map (db m136308) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church1902
First church on this site 1861 destroyed by fire 1901. N.Y.S. & National Historical RegistriesMap (db m137802) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — The AcademyBuilt in 1834
As a seminary of learning The land was given by Edward P. Livingston — Map (db m136304) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — The Clermont
Since and prior to its incorporation in 1788, Clermont has played a significant role in the history of America. Clermont’s history includes: home of Robert R. Livingston, negotiator of Louisiana Purchase and a drafter of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m136305) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — The Stone Jug
Built 1752. A typical Dutch house and one of the oldest houses in the Town of Clermont — Map (db m77137) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Town Hall Clermont
Built in 1894 as a Grange Hall — Map (db m136306) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake — Copake, NY War Memorial
These We Honor 1917-1919 Lester Raught 1941-1945 Clarence J. Beeker Feliz Garaccia Ralph Veer Stephen C. McIntyre John E. Miller (additional names not transcribed)Map (db m135807) WM
New York (Columbia County), Copake — First Town Meeting
Site of first town meeting, April 4, 1824 in this building on this site. — Map (db m135794) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 3 — Blast Furnace & Charging DeckIron Works Trail
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II built the first iron furnace near this location. The blast furnace stack visible today dates to about 1871, when improvements were made to the Copake Iron Works by Frederick Miles after he purchased the site from Pomeroy. . . . — Map (db m135848) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 6 — Blowing Engine HouseIron Works Trail
This brick building once housed bellows to drive air into the blast furnace. The Blowing Engine House , an addition to the 1840's/1850's Machine Shop, is depicted on an 1888 property map. The building's brick buttresses were constructed to keep the . . . — Map (db m135874) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 2 — Charcoal Blast Furnace OperationsIron Works Trail
Producing high-quality cast iron in a charcoal-fired blast furnace required skill. Laborers constantly “charged” the furnace by wheeling carts of raw materials across the charging deck and dumping them into the charging hole at the top . . . — Map (db m135815) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Copake Falls War Memorial
In grateful memory of the services rendered by the men and women of this community in order that the principles of this Republic might be preserved. — Map (db m135844) WM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 1 — Copake Iron Works1845-1903
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II, a prominent gun manufacturer from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and his sons, established the Copake Iron Works here at the western edge of the Litchfield Iron District. The site offered all the resources essential for iron . . . — Map (db m135768) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 125 — Copake Iron Works
Designated National Heritage Area in2016. Part of the Hudson River Valley Heritage area recognized by U.S. Congress in 1996. — Map (db m135873) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Copake Iron Works Historic District
Ironworks established in 1845 by Lemuel Pomeroy; later operated by the Miles family. Ceased operation in the 1920's. Acquired by Taconic State Park in 1928. State and National Register of Historic PlacesMap (db m135719) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Harlem Valley Rail Trail
The Harlem Valley derives its name from "The New York and Harlem Railroad," chartered in 1831 and opened in lower Manhattan in 1832 with horse drawn cars. In 1842 the line crossed the Harlem River, and in 1873 joined the New York Central . . . — Map (db m116811) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 17 — Isaac Chesbrough HouseIron Works Trail
This Greek Revival style dwelling appears on maps dating to 1858. The home was likely built in the late 1840s to early 1850s for Isaac Chesbrough, who owned the house until his death in 1893. Chesbrough was the first foreman of the Copake Iron . . . — Map (db m135845) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 15 — Pomeroy
In 1660 Medad Pomeroy accepted tools, an anvil shaped like this replica, and land in exchange for opening a blacksmith shop in Northampton, Massachusetts. That anvil was passed through many generations of Pomeroy blacksmiths becoming a symbol of . . . — Map (db m135717) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 343 — Pomeroy Homes
Near this site 3 homes built ca. 1850 by Lemuel Pomeroy family. Founders of Copake Iron Works. Remaining home acquired by park in 1928. — Map (db m132778) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 19 — Site of Pomeroy HousesIron Works Trail
Maps dating to the mid-19th century indicate that two dwellings once stood in this location. The homes were probably built in the early 1850's. One of the houses belonged to the first owner of the Copake Iron Works, Lemuel Pomeroy II, and later to . . . — Map (db m135871) HM
New York (Columbia County), Craryville — Taghkanic-Hillsdale Line

Taghkanic organized 1803 as Granger, included Copake. Hillsdale formed from Claverack as District 1782. Organized as town 1788. — Map (db m118765) HM

New York (Columbia County), Elizaville — Calendar House
Built by Samuel Ten Broeck in 1773. Later purchased by Gen. Harry Livingston whose descendants held it until 1861. — Map (db m137803) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Manor House SiteLivingston Manor Tercentenary — 1686-1986 —
On Hudson River and Roeliff Jansen Kill. Built in 1699 by first lord of the manor Robert Livingston and wife Alida, on land grant of 1686. — Map (db m132580) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Sharp’s Landing
Active in trading in 1684. — Map (db m132569) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Site of First Lutheran Church
In Germantown. Erected in 1710 — Map (db m133582) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Columbia CountyHistoric New York
Columbia County Historic New York Columbia County, which extends from the Hudson River to the New England border. was formed in the late 18th century from parts of two 17th century land patents. Early settlers came from Holland, followed by . . . — Map (db m109089) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Downing Church
Built in 1822 on lands donated by Stephen Richmond and used by Baptists and Methodists — Map (db m24466) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — NY-27 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m24003) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — NY-28 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m24004) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Ghent Honor Roll
Honored Patriots who answered the call of their country in the Great World War 1917-1918 The Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not perish from the Earth. --Abraham Lincoln (Names . . . — Map (db m136010) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — American Revolution Memorial

In memory of the Men of Hillsdale who fought for our independence in the American Revolution 1776 — 1781 — Map (db m118752) WM

New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — Copake-Hillsdale Line
Copake part of Granger 1803, formed from Taghkanick 1824. Hillsdale formed from Claverack as district 1782, town 1786. — Map (db m135721) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — 446 — East Gate TollhouseColumbia Turnpike 1799-1907

Located on this site Linked Columbia County farming and industry to Hudson River ports — Map (db m118755) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — NY-29 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m24005) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — NY-30/MA-1 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
New York Side:Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by . . . — Map (db m24006) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — Hillsdale Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Erected by John K. Cullin in memory of the Soldiers and Sailors who defended our country and flag 1861 - 1865 [ Lower Plaque ] Hillsdale Comrades 14th N.Y. Regiment John K. Cullin • A. Frank B. Chace • Sylvanus Snyder 44th N.Y. . . . — Map (db m42095) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — The Veterans Memorial Garden of HillsdaleLest We Forget — Dedicated 2009 —

[Central marker] In honor of the Men and Women of Hillsdale who served in the Armed Forces of our country

They gave the full measure of devotion to preserve America's heritage of freedom

1917-18 [and] . . . — Map (db m118753) WM

New York (Columbia County), Hudson — 128th New York State Volunteer Infantry

Here in 1862 the 128th. New York State Volunteer Infantry, the Columbia-Dutchess Regiment was organized. It served in the Union Army until 1865. — Map (db m118548) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m132570) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137747) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name - from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137750) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Davis Hall

This building built for a jail in 1805. Changed to City Hall in 1835 In 1855 became "Davis Hall", a theater. Since 1862 it has been a printing shop — Map (db m118544) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Hudson, New York"a seaport far from the sea"
In his fantastical tale, Rip Van Winkle, Washington Irving told of how the ghosts of Captain Henry Hudson and his crew appeared once every twenty years in the Catskill mountains, across the river from here. According to the story, the Captain . . . — Map (db m130614) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Icehouse
In July 1869, after the Church family returned to Olana from 18 months aboard, Frederic Church’s involvement in the farm’s activities increased. He completed several building projects, including the construction of a rectangular, wood-frame icehouse . . . — Map (db m132328) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Kitchen Garden
This panoramic image combines two photographs that show the kitchen garden and barnyard as they looked about 1900. Both photographs were taken from a location out in the field behind you (south) looking north. From the far right in the photograph, . . . — Map (db m132329) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Korea
In honor of those men & women from Columbia County who served and in memory of those who died defending a country they never knew and a people they never met. Back of Marker: Korea The Forgotten War 1950-1953 Edward J. Aiken William Henry Doss . . . — Map (db m130587) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Livingston - Greenport Line
Livingston a manor 1686, a dist. 1772, included Ancram, Taghkanick, Gallatin, Copake, Clermont. Town 1788. In 1837 Greenport formed from Hudson — Map (db m137804) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Olana Viewshed
. . . — Map (db m116102) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Olana Viewshed
This landscape made famous by Hudson River School painter Frederic E. Church 1826-1900. Protected by the Scenic Hudson Land Trust. — Map (db m137859) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Operation Desert Storm1991
List of names on 3 panels. — Map (db m130616) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Park and Lake
Frederic Church transformed a treeless hillside into the wooded park you see across the lake. There, on 31 acres, he planted hundreds of trees and shrubs, singly and in clumps, in a landscape design conceived in the Picturesque Style (a . . . — Map (db m132074) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Roll of Honor1917-1918
This tablet commemorates the names of those who served in the World War names are not transcribedMap (db m132618) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — 9 — Spook RockLegends & Lore
Beautiful Indian maiden and her lover from opposing nation rests beneath this rock. When church bell rings, rock turns over, lovers appear. — Map (db m129044) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Studio and Viewshed
Although Frederic Church painted at his Hudson Valley farm from the time he purchased it in 1860, he did not build a studio here until about 1864-65. On the site where you are standing, he erected a "plain but ample” 24-foot-square, . . . — Map (db m137805) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — The Kiwanis Bicentennial Inspiration Fountain

was dedicated May 3, 1975 to honor the volunteers and the nation. This fountain was made possible through the generosity of the following:

[Concerned Citizens and Organizations] . . . — Map (db m118546) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Veterans MemorialFor God and Country

Erected by the Citizens of Hudson in grateful recognition of her Sons' and Daughters' services in the Armed Forces of the United States. — Map (db m118543) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Vietnam1959-1975
Dedicated to the men and women of Columbia County who served their country during the Vietnam War 1959-1975. — Map (db m130617) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Warren Inn
In 1958 on this historic site the first motel ever converted from a movie theater and located in a small community was opened — Map (db m130586) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Woodshed
When wood was the major fuel for heating and cooking, woodsheds like the one located here and elsewhere on the farm provided a place to store firewood and keep it dry. Harvested from Olana’s woodlots, trees were cut into logs and shorter lengths at . . . — Map (db m132331) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — WWII MemorialLest We Forget
Dedicated to all those from Columbia County who died in the service of their country — Map (db m130615) WM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — “ . . . a Farmer in my native Town”Martin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
The view before you is much like the one Martin Van Buren enjoyed during the last 21 years of his life. Although in the course of his political career Van Buren traveled widely and kept company with heads of state and the foremost political figures . . . — Map (db m56675) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — 1849-50     A House TransformedMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
Architect Richard Upjohn’s renovations to Lindenwald in 1849-50 had a tremendous influence on the main house, originally built in 1797 by Judge Peter Van Ness. The red brick was painted yellow and brown and a four-and-a-half story Italianate tower . . . — Map (db m37784) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — A Bustling HouseholdMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
Lindenwald seems quiet today, but when Martin Van Buren lived here there was a stream of family, friends and political colleagues constantly coming and going. There was also an ever-changing mix of agricultural and domestic employees. Some workers . . . — Map (db m37828) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — An Agrarian Lifestyle . . .Martin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
In 1850, from where you now stand, you would have been able to view Van Buren’s house garden, farm office, fish ponds, green house, red hillside barn, hot house and carriage barn. The farm manager’s house (now altered) may still be seen. Van Buren . . . — Map (db m37833) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Benedict Arnold House
According to tradition Benedict Arnold was brought here after being wounded at Battle of Bemis Heights in 1777. — Map (db m37479) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Birthsite
Martin Van Buren, eighth President of the United States, was born at this site December 5, 1782. — Map (db m37472) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — 345 — Burial Ground1816-ca 1861
Bequest by John Rogers provided this quarter acre exclusively for burials of persons of color. — Map (db m128003) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Fallen White Mulberry Tree
About 1861, this white mulberry tree (morus alba) was planted across the carriage path from the large sycamore tree. The tree flourished for just under 150 years until an ice storm over this past winter (2012) caused the tree to collapse. The . . . — Map (db m56677) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Farm OperationsMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
As with most farms, the operations at Lindenwald varied with the seasons and the years and the constant effort to better the farm. The poles to your left are used to cultivate hops using the techniques of the nineteenth century. Over his years of . . . — Map (db m37852) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Farmhands and FishingMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
Over the years, Martin Van Buren enlarged his farm from 137 acres to 221 acres through three transactions. Throughout his ownership he relied on employees to perform the labor necessary to make Lindenwald’s acreage productive. In September of 1843 . . . — Map (db m37835) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Fertile Political GroundMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
Van Buren’s 1839 purchase of the fine eighteenth-century house and farm he renamed “Lindenwald” represented his drastic rise from tavern-keeper’s son to prominent gentleman. While the fields and orchards of Lindenwald proved to be . . . — Map (db m37810) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — NY-26 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23750) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Gen. John Burgoyne
as prisoner of war was entertained in this house on night of October 22, 1777 while being taken from Battle of Saratoga to Boston. — Map (db m37478) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Gravesite
Martin Van Buren 1782 – 1862 Governor of New York Eighth President of the United States — Map (db m37474) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Heermance Housec. 1721-1765
. . . — Map (db m118565) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — House of History
Built in 1810 by James Vanderpoel. Purchased by the Columbia County Historical Society in 1925. — Map (db m37493) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — 19 — Ichabod CraneLegends & Lore

Washington Irving based the character Ichabod Crane in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on Kinderhook school teacher Jesse Merwin. — Map (db m118567) HM

New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — James Clark
James Clark, who was born April 10th 1785 and died May 15th 1832, was, during the many years of his residence in the Village of Kinderhook, a public-spirited citizen, actively engaged in commercial pursuits and always foremost in every enterprise . . . — Map (db m46702) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Kinderhook World War I Monument1917           1919
In memoriam John M. Dahm     *     Joseph B. Kennedy who died in the service of their country *         *         * and in honor of Harry G. Cole • Charles S. Collier • Everett Decker • George D. Earll • Harold Fowler • Nathan D. Garnsey • William . . . — Map (db m42088) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Lawrence Van Buren Housec. 1812

Brother of Pres. Martin Van Buren — Map (db m118566) HM

New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Lindenwald
Martin Van Buren, eighth President of the United States lived here from 1841 to 1862. — Map (db m37490) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Lindenwald and the Old Post RoadMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
You are standing along one of the few remaining unpaved stretches of the Old Post Road. In 1839 when Martin Van Buren bought this property, the Old Post Road was the main route on the east side of the Hudson River between Manhattan and Albany, the . . . — Map (db m37746) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Marble Mounting Block
Martin Van Buren enjoyed his life at Lindenwald immensely, especially horseback riding. Located to your right is a replica of the marble mounting block President Van Buren used to get on and off his favorite Thoroughbred, Duroc. Van Buren would . . . — Map (db m56676) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Martin Van Buren1782 – 1862
Eighth President of the United States Born, Raised and Buried in the Village of Kinderhook Gift of:   Friends of Lindenwald Sculptor:   Edward Hlavka Dedicated July 14, 2007 — Map (db m37982) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Old Columbia Academy
Early Dutch School Incorporated March 13, 1797 Became Kinderhook Academy April 3, 1824 — Map (db m37494) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Post Road - 1772
Albany to New York. Weekly mail service established on horseback. Passenger service by covered wagons and four horses in 1786. — Map (db m56653) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Soil Improvers

"The Whigs would hardly believe that a much larger portion of my time is taken up with devising ways & means to multiply the quantity & improve the quality of manure than in forming political plans or any such Matter." Martin Van Buren, . . . — Map (db m118568) HM

New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Uncovering the PastMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
In addition to the written record, archaeological evidence contributes valuable information to our understanding of President Van Buren’s farm. This archaeological test pit shows the position and types of objects used by former inhabitants of the . . . — Map (db m37853) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Van Alen Homestead
Erected in 1736 Katrina Van Tassel resided in this house according to tradition. — Map (db m37492) HM
New York (Columbia County), Kinderhook — Welcome to LindenwaldMartin Van Buren Nat’l Hist Site — National Park Service —
Welcome to Martin Van Buren National Historic Site. “Lindenwald” was the home and farm of the nation’s eighth president. Martin Van Buren’s life bridged the 80 years between the American War for Independence and the U.S. Civil War, the . . . — Map (db m37743) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Alida Livingston1656-1727
Alida Livingston, a capable courageous and diligent manager of her husband’s manor, she helped to settle Columbia County. George E. Pataki, GovernorMap (db m136499) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Johnstown
Named for John Livingston, settler. Livingston Post Office 1805. Had a Revolutionary Stage Inn and Linlithgo Reformed Church. — Map (db m136497) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Livingston
The present village of Livingston was formerly called Johnstown after John Livingston. — Map (db m136495) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Livingston Town Hall
This section of Town Hall was built by Walter Haynor Jr, on lands conveyed by Solon Smith and his wife Ellen on the 30th of April 1895. At a meeting in Walter Haynor’s house, building of the Town Hall was approved on the 19th of August 1895 at a . . . — Map (db m136498) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Town of Livingston - 1788
Contained Bakers Mills, Blue Stores, Burden, Elizaville, Glenco Mills, Linlithgo, and Walker’s Mills. — Map (db m136496) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Ezra Gates
Homestead of Ezra Gates, Revolutionary soldier 1775-1780. Still in possession of Gates family. — Map (db m135062) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Mohican Blessing Fountain
Thé Mohican Blessing Fountain was erected by the New Lebanon Garden Club in 1941 to give thanks to the Mohican Indians for their gift of the healing waters of the thermal mineral springs to all people forever. The Mohicans were the original . . . — Map (db m135096) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Town of New Lebanon War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those who have served our country in all wars. — Map (db m135558) WM
New York (Columbia County), Spencertown — Cpl. Frank R. Fratellenico, Jr.Vietnam War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
For Conspicuous Gallantry-United States Army-101st Airborne Div.-He left his home in Spencertown and gave his life on the field of battle that others might live. Republic of Vietnam-August 19, 1970 — Map (db m62740) WM
New York (Columbia County), Stockport — Staats House
Built by Col. Abram Staats Between 1654 – 1664 Henry Hudson landed here September 17, 1609 in sailing up Hudson River — Map (db m77136) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stockport — Stockport-Stuyvesant Line
Stockport formed from parts of Hudson, Ghent, Stuyvesant, 1833. Stuyvesant formed from Kinderhook 1823. — Map (db m56695) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Benjamin F. Butler
Born here 1795 - died 1858 A reviser of state laws; Regent 1829-32; Attorney General U.S. 1833-38; acting Sec. of War 1836-37 — Map (db m132613) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Henry Hudson
Landed here Sept. 19, 1609 and was entertained by Indians who encamped here called Kinderhook. — Map (db m116690) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Henry Van Schaack
Died here in 1823. Built these two houses. Was on first Board of Trustees of Williams College. — Map (db m37497) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Kinderhook Creek
Prior to 1667 known as “Major Abram’s (Staats) Kill” and “Third Falls.” In 1823 called Stuyvesant Falls” and after 1845 “Kinderhook Creek” — Map (db m56638) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Newton Hook
Also known as Nutten Hooke, Coxsackie Station. Early industrial area. Sites of ferry 1820, Cary Brick 1902, R&W Scott Ice Co., 1885. — Map (db m132615) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Nutten Hooke
Granted to Arent Van Den Bergh in 1666. Sold to Hans Hendricksen in 1667. Old "fish place" 1 ½ mi. south. — Map (db m132617) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Powell Patent1664
This marks the northwest point of this early grant. — Map (db m37470) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Sharptown
was settled in 1683 by a group of Swedish families of Best and Scherp. — Map (db m37495) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Stuyvesant Landing
Now part of the Town of Stuyvesant set off from the Town of Kinderhook in 1823. — Map (db m132610) HM
New York (Columbia COunty), Taghkanic — First Suyham Schoolhouse
Burned Oct. 1918. Land donated by Jacob Suydam about 1800 — Map (db m138015) HM
New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Site of Miller's Tavern

Built before 1770 by Wm. Rockefeller. Jonas I. Miller proprietor for many years. First town meeting here 1803. — Map (db m118764) HM

New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Veterans Memorial"Lest We Forget"

This Plaque is dedicated to the Men and Women of the Town of Taghkanic, who served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m118758) WM

New York (Columbia County), Tanghail — Stage Inn
J. Suydam's Hotel, 1798-1822; Dr. C. Suydam's Office 1798-1822 J. Suydam Jr.'s Hotel 1822-49; Post office until 1906 — Map (db m138012) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Alexander Abbott Housec. 1830
Dr. Abbott (1812 – 1884) Major textile and paper manufacturer as well as dedicated citizen — Map (db m56645) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — First Presbyterian Church of Valatie
Congregation formed 1835 This edifice built 1878 Ogden & Wright, achitects — Map (db m56671) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Gimp MillC. 1896 - 1995
The smallest of Valatie’s eight textile mills. The last built and the last to close. — Map (db m56642) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Glynn Homestead
Gov. Martin H. Glynn   1871 – 1924 Congressman, Comptroller, Lieut. Governor, Governor, Orator, Journalist, a founder of the Irish Free State. — Map (db m37859) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Gov. Glynn Square
Gov. Glynn Square and War Memorial Garden est. 1994 Site of Union School 1876 – 1929 Marker donated by Andrew Earl Boy Scouts Veterans Day Run 2006 — Map (db m56672) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Governor Martin H. Glynn Village SquareDedicated Sept. 1994 by Mayor Patrick M. Grattan
On this site stood the Valatie Union School. ca. 1876 – 1929. Gov. Martin H. Glynn, as well as the many who served & died in both World Wars, attended here. Governor Glynn [1913 – 1914], was a Congressman, State Comptroller, . . . — Map (db m56673) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Hoes HouseC. 1760
Early Dutch settlers ancestral home of Marie Hoes mother of Martin Van Buren — Map (db m56641) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — John Rogers Housec. 1830
John Rogers 1799 – 1889 civic leader served on first Village Board in 1856 and was a founder of the National Union Bank — Map (db m56661) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — John Vanderpoel Home   c.1825
Dr. John, 1796 – 1851 First Valatie Postmaster   1832 Friend, ally and physician of President Van Buren — Map (db m37854) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Knox Gun Crossing
Documentation shows that this is the most likely site of the Knox caravan trail during the winter of 1775-1776. — Map (db m37467) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Nathan Wild House
National Register   c 1826 Nathan Wild 1790–1867, a founder of Valatie and its textile mills, one of the nations’ earliest industrial villages. — Map (db m37861) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Site of Opera Housec. 1879 – c. 1933
Here in 1916 Gov. Martin H. Glynn gave his famed speech “He kept us out of war” This slogan re-elected Wilson. — Map (db m56659) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — St. Luke’s Lutheran Churchc. 1828   c.1970
From this congregation ten men fell during WWII (In memory of Marion Berntson) — Map (db m56669) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — The Depot
of the electric trolley part of the Albany – Hudson Railway 1905 — Map (db m56662) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — The Swallow Housec. 1845
Built from the remains of the steamboat “Swallow” wrecked on the Hudson River, April 7, 1845. — Map (db m56647) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — U.S. Hotel
Built c. 1871 on the site of earlier inns dating back to the 18th century. Also believed the site young Martin Van Buren tried his first court case. — Map (db m37862) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Valatie Santa Claus ClubFirst in the Nation
The Valatie Santa Claus Club was founded on Christmas Eve, 1946. Veterans of World War II pooled their discharge pay to bring gifts to every child in Valatie. These Santas and their successors prove the truth of the statement made by the New . . . — Map (db m56722) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Valatie World War I Monument
Honor Roll Men of the Village of Valatie who proved their country’s worth in the World War * Delmar Berlin * Harry Klomps * JohnW. McConnell Jesse Adriance • J. B. Agar • H. K. Avery • E. J. Beaupre • F. H. Berlin • A. Brignull • E. E. Brignull • . . . — Map (db m59187) HM
New York (Columbia County), Valatie — Welcome to ValatieSettled 1665
“Valatie, from the Dutch Vaaltje meaning “Little Falls,” was settled about 1665 as part of the Kinderhook Seettlement. The original inhabitants were Mohigan, an Algonquian Indian people. The Dutch established grist and lumber . . . — Map (db m37865) HM

146 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement